PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shop at toynk in Elk Grove Village?

vader62
06-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Has anyone ever shopped at toynk in Elk Grove Village? They are an online retailer, but they also have a store. Just wondering if anybody has shopped there and is it worth the half-hour trip to go take a look for some of the older figures/vehicles I am missing. The pictures on their website make me think so, but just wanted to see if anybody else had any thoughts.

Thanks.

G_A_Thrawn
06-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I went over a year ago, but I think they may have moved since then to a more customer friendly store front. When I went it was basically a warehouse that was organized, but everything was in a shipping carton, so no way to see the merchandise unless you opened it yourself. They were really cool about letting you check out what they had, so I had a great experience at the old warehouse. I imagine the retail store would be even better. They had two guys that day, one of which was totally cool and friendly.
Hope that helps.

emgamera
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
it's an AMAZING store with an incredibly cool and helpful staff. it's worth the trip at least once, just to look around.

however -- it's not any kind of star wars gold mine, and definitely not a place for vintage or even vaguely recent star wars releases. think of their stock profile as a more well-rounded suncoast or comic store selection -- newer stuff, direct market stuff, high-end stuff... that sort of thing.

i know i'm not explaining myself well. and i by no means want to talk you out of going, especially since i'm not sure what you're looking for. but if what you've seen on the website makes you think you might be interested, then i think it's safe to say you won't be disappointed. it's a very cool place and has a great selection of recent off-market stuff.

broctoon
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I LIVE in Elk Grove Village, and I haven't heard of this place! Where is it? I'll have to check it out.

Weasel27
06-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I LIVE in Elk Grove Village, and I haven't heard of this place! Where is it? I'll have to check it out.

Here is their address from their website:

Toynk Toys
2371 United Lane
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

broctoon
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Just checked out the website- the store looks kinda cool, but I don't think I'm going to find anything there worth picking up. Unless I decide to pick up a Tion Medon for $10.99. I'll probably head over there tomorrow evening to check it out. It would be nice to give them some business instead of Wal Mart and Target.

mewsh1
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I have been buying from Toynk for about the last 2 years, ever since they had that little kiosk in Woodfield Mall. I highly recommend them over the big chains if they have what you are looking for. Tim is a really great guy to deal with, super nice and really cool.

emgamera
06-07-2005, 08:40 PM
i've become fairly good friends with tim, one of the owners (i'll be working their booth at wizardworld. stop by and say hi!) and have talked with him at length about their pricing.

while they do carry a lot of stuff you can't find a lot of places (and offer an alternative to places like graham crackers), their prices are quite high on some of the more mass market stuff, like star wars and marvel legends.

tim explained to me that this is not due to a scalper mentality, but to their size. he wants to carry stuff that his customers look for, like star wars, but since he can't order anywhere NEAR the quantity that the big chain stores do, his cost is way higher. for instance, i visited him on april 2 to see if he got in any of the star wars figures i hadn't found at midnight madness. he had a lot of the toys, but his prices were high. in fact, his COST per piece was about 50 cents higher than target or wal-mart's SELLING price. he kept the prices as low as he could without taking a loss, and was still only making about 40 cents per figure.

so it's definitely a place to shop if you are willing to spend a little more, but appreciate knowing that the money is actually directly supporting an alternative to the wal-marts out there. and of course, it's a great place to head when you're looking for harder-to-find or direct market stuff, like mcfarlane, sideshow, NECA and the like.

and if you're into sets or cases of marvel legends, they're definitely the guys to see.

and for the record, no, i'm not on their payroll. i just became a very regular customer because i really appreciated the friendly service and great environment. that's why i'll be giving them a hand at the con this summer.

oh, and no offense to graham crackers or any of its employees. my point was that toynk is a good alternative and offers a different selection. no flame intended.

broctoon
06-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Cool. I'm pretty excited about going over there tonight now, if I have time. I'll report back with my experience tomorrow.

DarthTyrannus
06-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Do they sell any harder to find Unleashed?

broctoon
06-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Well, I went there last night, and I was VERY impressed. Good selection of stuff, and nice employees. Nothing good in the way of Hasbro stuff, but lots of cool higher end star wars stuff. Some older gentle giant busts and statues, as well as Master Replicas force f/x sabers, Code 3 ships- stuff like that. It was a blast just to walk around. Tons of really cool non-star wars stuff to be found too. A few years ago I would have dropped a ton of money in there, but now due to space limitations (and money limitations) I only collect star wars stuff. But I'm very excited that I've found a place that I can pick up Gentle Giant type stuff and not have to pay for shipping. Rare stuff is pricey, but that's to be expected I guess. They had one Yoda mini bust that they were asking $274 for, and they had the C3 Sandtrooper in a case for $169. I'm just excited about using it as a place to get common stuff. they had plenty of cheap older busts like Gammorean Guard and Bossk that I missed out on before.

Oh, and for the unleashed question- I don't think I saw any. They may have had the new ones, though. The only cool hasbro thing I saw was a few Sandcrawlers, but they were asking close to $60 for them.

Overall, definitely worth checking out if you're in the area, and you're not expecting to find new Hasbro stuff at a cheap price. I give it an 'A'.

vader62
06-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I may take a ride down there this weekend to check it out.

laststormtrooper
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I went there a few months ago I liked it. They had a lot of the gentle giant things and that is what I collect.