PDA

View Full Version : GG vader vs ATTAKUS vader-poll

ump
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=10518

ump
05-26-2005, 09:27 PM
any ideas about the GG and ATTAKUS vaders?i love the ATTAKUS one,it's look much better!

BillyBudd
05-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I admit that I haven't seen any of the statues in person, but I've looked at many pictures of all three. If I had to place the three statues in order, I'd go with this:

Attakus 1 > Gentle Giant > Attakus 2

Attakus 1 - This statue is nearly perfect. The pose is a tad bit boring, but it seems quite natural, almost as if Vader were caught mid-stride. If it were more affordable, I'd purchase it without a doubt.

Gentle Giant - I prefer dynamic poses, and the way I see it, this statue was one step away from greatness. As it stands, the cape distracts the viewer from the focal point of the statue, Vader's right hand. I believe the cape should have been blowing in the other direction and slightly back (so as not to come into contact with the light saber). This would have created a much more pleasing visual effect. The pose would have been much more powerful. I pre-ordered this statue, and once it arrives, I will probably display it from the side (possibly at a slight angle) rather than face forward.

Attakus 2 - That first picture on statueforum.com makes this statue look quite good. It caught the best angle of the statue. Every other picture I've seen exhibits an awkward stance that I simply do not find visually pleasing.

The13thJedi
05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
I own the Attakus Version 2, and it's amazing in person. I display it alongside the Emperor statue, and next year I'll have the Jedi Luke to go along with them. I think the GG version gets point based on price; but if I'm simply going off which I think is the better sculpt, I think both Attakus versions blow GG away.

ump
05-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Agree!Both ATTAKUS vader better than the GG vader....the problem og the GG vader is the pose:it's look like 'unbalance' (right side is perfect but the left side...)and the base look too cheap...

TB744
05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Attakus ones look good but the GG quality is just as good as those. And the price is a fraction of those. I went with GG because I know they are a great company and it was easier on the wallet.

IrishJedi
05-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Gentle Giant... no contest. Just as good in quality as the Attakus pieces and MUCH cheaper.

In fact, now that we have GG and Sideshow making amazing SW displays pieces Attakus can go pound sand with their prices.

BillyBudd
05-27-2005, 07:39 PM
There actually might be a difference in quality, but I'm quite certain it doesn't come anywhere close to justifying the difference in price. Gentle Giant makes quality statues and busts. There's no doubt about it.

jwmc1971
05-27-2005, 09:05 PM
meh...

ump
05-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Yes,GG make a good quality on bust and maquette,but not in this vader....first,teh cap is all at the right side,it make it looks "unbalance" on left side.and the shoulder is too big(wide)and amke the body look too short....anyway,overall is not bad,but not the best GG product,i think the first vader mini bust is the best GG product!!

hasek3939
05-27-2005, 10:01 PM
never owned a attakus statue until a couple weeks ago, i did a trade and got 4 of them. they are by far the most impressive statues ive ever seen, granted they are the most expensive as well. but i have both gg chewie and attakus chewie and the attakus is at least 3 times nicer in quality construction and overall apperance.i dig both gg and attakus but there really is no conparison in quality, attakus all the way, and i would consider myself very much unbiased as i collect both.
also keep in mind the attakus statues are MUCH larger than the gg statues as well, so that accounts for some of the $$ diffrence and the quality covers the rest of the diffrence in price.

ump
05-27-2005, 10:38 PM
i'm also collecting GG and ATTAKUS statues,i'm also have the both vader and chew...yes,i'm totally agree with you,i think a lot of people never saw the ATTAKUS products in personally,so,they think the GG's vader is the best.(anyway ,GG do very well on maquette line and mini bust line!!!!)hope more an dmore people can get the ATTAKUS vader because it's really a perfect item for all star wras fans!!!!keep on collecting...

BillyBudd
05-28-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't need to see certain Attakus statues in person to know that I wouldn't want to own them. Attakus sculpts are hit and miss, but for the most part, they do a great job. Same goes for Gentle Giant.

When I purchase a statue, I primarily look at two things: the statue's overall visual effect and, if applicable, the likeness and expression of the face. I don't need to see GG's Padme bust in person to know I wouldn't want to own it. Same goes for the Attakus Padme statue. Both companies have produced a number of statues/busts that I don't care for.

hope more an dmore people can get the ATTAKUS vader because it's really a perfect item for all star wras fans!!!!

It really isn't. Not all Star Wars fans can afford to spend that kind of money on one statue.

Again, I don't doubt that the Attakus statues are of higher quality. However, I don't believe that difference in quality justifies the difference in price. Others may see things differently though.

ump
05-28-2005, 05:51 AM
"I don't need to see certain Attakus statues in person to know that I wouldn't want to own them"
THAT WHY YOU MISS SOME AMAZING ITEM.'
"It really isn't. Not all Star Wars fans can afford to spend that kind of money on one statue"
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE QUALITY...NOT THE PRICE...
"I primarily look at two things: the statue's overall visual effect "
THAT THE REASON WHY I'M NOT LIKE THE GG VADER-THIS STATUE 'S OVERALL VISUAL EFFECT HAS PROBLEM....I LOVE THE GG VADER MINI BUST AND THE GG BUST UP VADER POSE IS ALSO BETTER THAN THIS STATUE....

TB744
05-28-2005, 07:40 AM

Dude, it's already been said in this thread that no one questions the quality. Attakus price is just way too high. If I had to pick between Sideshow and Attakus with the kind of money those statues cost, I'd go with Sideshow anyday. More for the money. But the GG is just so much more affordable. I'm not sure what you mean that his pose looks unbalanced either. I have mine in a display case now and it looks amazing.

BillyBudd
05-28-2005, 11:15 AM
THAT WHY YOU MISS SOME AMAZING ITEM.

No, that's how I avoid purchasing a collectible I don't want.

In my first post, I rated the statues based solely on my perception of their quality. I even admitted that the first Attukus Vader is the best. However, I don't like the pose of the second Attakus Vader, and the pose is an important part of the statue's quality in my eyes. I feel that the GG Vader is better than the second Attakus Vader, and I'm not taking into account the price difference when making that judgement.

It's only natural for the subject of price to come up during a discussion like this. You may not want to hear it, but many people do not feel that the difference in quality between certain GG and Attakus sculpts justifies the difference in price.

THAT THE REASON WHY I'M NOT LIKE THE GG VADER-THIS STATUE 'S OVERALL VISUAL EFFECT HAS PROBLEM....I LOVE THE GG VADER MINI BUST AND THE GG BUST UP VADER POSE IS ALSO BETTER THAN THIS STATUE....

Yeah, well opinions will vary. Some people apparently like the GG sculpt more than you do and the Attakus II sculpt less than you do.

jwmc1971
05-28-2005, 12:57 PM
meh!!

ump
05-28-2005, 10:17 PM
picture of the 4 vader from the US collector...
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=10614&page=1&pp=10

DouglasMcc
05-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I also would agree that Attakus 1 looks nicer than GG. However, I really hate the pose on Attakus 2. The saber placement looks too akward. But the difference in visual quality between Attakus 1 and GG is not as "clear cut" as some Attakus fans like to believe. I have seen the Attakus 1 in person. A friend had it and I could have picked it up back then for the original "non-Ebay" price. However, I was unwilling to spend that much for a statue. I will be able to make a final decision once my GG arrives, but the pictures already look good in comparision to the Attakus 1 I used to admire.

I have a GG on order through a friend's comic store for 160 bucks. At that price I would take the GG over the Attakus 1 at its original price. Unless you are rich, price always plays a part in the perception of these collectibles. There is nothing on the Attakus 1 that is SO much better than GG that I would pay triple or quadruple the price. Sorry, but that's how I see this matter.

P.S. I also believe alot of the GG Vader haters are OT fans who are boycotting the statue due to its ROTS affiliation. Heck, a few people on the site listed here even admit this. Other than the ROTS saber, it looks like the Vader I remember http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
05-29-2005, 12:25 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
picture of the 4 vader from the US collector...
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=10614&page=1&pp=10

[/QUOTE]
HOLY COW!

Those things are awesome! All of them. The Cinemacast is my least favorite.

If I had the money I would get the Attakus but getting the GG Vader one is already hard on my pocket so you can imagine there is no way I can afford the Attakus ones...

But they are nice.