PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith

Revanmandowar
05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Now that most of you have probably seen the movie, let me know what your thoughts are on it. I am going to see it on Friday. What did you guys think of the movie? Don't worry about spoiling it for me. I have already read the comic and the novel so I won't be too surprised anyway. I just want to hear some local collectors' thoughts.

05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
It was very dark. I mean, I knew it was gonna be dark, but I still wasn't prepared for how dark it was. A very good script and film. In terms of movie quality, it probably ranks behind Empire at #2. For me personally, Empire remains the best, followed by Ep 4, and now Ep 3.

After watching it, it just affirmed my suspicion that all three prequels would have been infinitely better if Lucas had cast someone other than Hayden C. in the Darth role (and would have bothered to actually direct Jake Lloyd in Ep 1). Hayden is like a wet noodle. He doesn't summon near the evil wrath he needed to for this role. But hey, as an unknown, I'm sure he worked cheap, leaving more $$$ in George's already fat pockets. Visually breathtaking too.

r2d2 steals the f'in show, and Ian McD chews scenery after morphing into you know who. In a good way tho.

Darth_Anakin
05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
It looks unbelieveable! I have to wait till Saturday to see it though. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jediyoda7
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
ROTS blew my expections away and was much darker than I expected, it makes ESB look like a fairy tale. This is the best of the 6 movies for me. I won't include any spoilers etc. just in case you have not seen it yet, but here are some of my thoughts. It can be said that it doesn't have your traditional fun Star Wars feel to it, except maybe the first 20 mins, but was definatly a great movie. You can't help but get emotionally involved with the movie and it moved me. It's very powerful and you will need some time after you leave the movie to digest it. I've seen it twice now and love it. I must say I enjoyed it more the second time, maybe because I had time to reflect on everything in between seeing it again or maybe I was just tired at the midnight showing. (I was up for 22 and a half hours by the time we got out of the midnight showing) I thought the acting was great all the way around and even though many of you don't care for Hayden, he sold his part for me. You actually feel pity for him and understand why he did what he did. You also can't help but feel sad for the Jedi who were blinded by the whole plot of Palpy and how they are betrayed by people so close to them.

G_A_Thrawn
05-19-2005, 11:56 PM
First the bad then the good.

I agree that Hayden's performance was not all it could have been. I believe Hayden's performance is a direct consequence of Lucas' terrible directing. What's his favorite line, "Faster..more intense"? That doesn't work too well for the love story arc. That arc was very forced and it just did not feel passionate. This was bad, because it is supposed to be Anakins love and passion for Padme that drives Anakin to the Dark Side. They got the point across on how the circumstances would drive a passionate person over the edge, but it didn't come across in the acting thanks to bad directing and blue and green screens which are not conducive to immersion in a role.

Other than that, I really liked the movie and it blows away the last two prequels. Lot's of fast, intense action and the final battle was very well choreographed and lived up to my expectations, which were really high for many years now. I had a lot of expectations for the film as we have heard so many things for decades, so when the film actually answered many of these questions, it made it all worth the wait. It delivers the goods and lives up to the hype! I can't wait to see it again and for the DVD!

DMESS
05-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I was a little less impressed than the rest of you. I wouldn't say the acting was bad, the dialogue and pacing were bad. If it wasn't for R2, the first half would have been extremely dull. I did like OB1, Palpatine and Yoda. Overall, I liked it and it was extremely moving at the end, but I can't forget the first 40 minutes. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the good reviews.

Was anyone else annoyed at Grievous? I was expecting a complete bad***** and instead we get a coughing hunk of metal. He was great when he started to fight, but he seemed like a coward until then. NOT how he was portrayed in everything up to that.

The love stuff wasn't convincing in the beginning, but it was on Mustafar.

I'll be seeing it again tomorrow, so maybe I'll feel better about it then, but right now it is 4 or 5 out of the six for me behind the first three and maybe even AOTC.

broctoon
05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I loved it, but had my share of disappointments. I won't mention most of them because it's nit picky stuff, and these disappointments come from my own expectations of what I wanted to happen, so it's not really fair to judge it on that.

My only lingering problem with it was that there just seemed to be too much much too fast. There was so many locations and characters and ships that you only saw for a few seconds that you couldn't really get attached to anything. Maybe that will be different after multiple viewings.

The love scenes didn't bother me nearly as much as in AOTC 'cause they seemed to be much shorter this time around. And despite the acting being panned by nearly everyone, I thought it was much better this time.

One question: why didn't Palpatine tell the newly aromored Vader that the Jedi killed Padme so that he would be even more hellbent on hunting them down and killing every last one? He seemed too emotional too be Darth Vader when he got off the operating table, but I guess that was the last of his showing emotion since everything he cared for was gone (well, untill he saves Luke in ROTJ).

Overall a great movie, but I still like all three of the OT better. While I loved it, it so depressing that it didn't have that fun Star Wars feel to it. I definitely wouldn't take younger kids to it with all the limbs getting cut off, kids getting killed, beheadings, Anakin on fire, etc. But for an older dork like me it was cool! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DMESS
05-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I loved it, but had my share of disappointments. I won't mention most of them because it's nit picky stuff, and these disappointments come from my own expectations of what I wanted to happen, so it's not really fair to judge it on that.

My only lingering problem with it was that there just seemed to be too much much too fast. There was so many locations and characters and ships that you only saw for a few seconds that you couldn't really get attached to anything. Maybe that will be different after multiple viewings.

That says it better than I did. The first half just seemed to jump from one thing to the next too fast.

Weasel27
05-20-2005, 11:11 AM
I really liked it too. But man, I could have used a little bit more of Vader in his suit. Just a couple more sceens!

All in all, a really great time. My son LOVED it and that's what really matters to me! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mapman
05-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Having read the book before hand as well, I was dissapointed at the pace of the movie, way too fast. I also thought grievous was a dissapointment as well, I've started referring to him as General Wheezy.

Something I did really like was the way ObiWan and Anakin intereacted, much more realistic in my opinion, not nearly as rigid as in AOTC and very light hearted, I think I laughed more in this one than any of the other movies.

coldpenguin
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
the whole vader walking off like frankenstein was kinda lame imo..

and when vader said Nooooooo! i laughed because it was kinda corny,,, he should of said : arrrgggghhh or something like that, he looked kinda stiff too.

*where was shak ti?

*i would of loved more jedi killing.

*after the intro battle the movie kind of slumped a little.

*lucas can't write dialogue, portmans acting before she gets choked is suspect.

I loved the part where anakin is in the council chamber by himself and is thinking what to do before turning over. that was tight

everthing else was good, good movie

[censored] eopie at the end, r2d2 is king

G_A_Thrawn
05-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I felt the same way about the Frankenstein job. Maybe he wasn't used to the new limbs, but they didn't have to show him as being this uncoordinated mess.

The yelling was cheesy too.

marshubo
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Shaak Ti was in it for about 2-3 seconds as a hologram only. It was during the Jedi Council scene during the Wookiee battle you could see her when Yoda was looking at the holograms, that's it as far as I know.

Anyone notice the Tarzan yell when the Wookiees swung onto the tank to plant the explosives? And when Ki-Adi gets his the troopers have face masks similar to Snowtroopers.

Hiryu
05-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Spoilers Below

I loved it all. I even liked Hayden in this one. My only
disappointment was that we didn't get to see alot of Kashyyk. I was expecting more wookies. I was wondering how a clone piloted ship could shoot down a Jedi piloted one though (in reference to Plo Koon)? I actually thought yoda stole the show. Esspecially with the Royal Guards thing.

Darth_Anakin
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I even liked Hayden in this one.

Yeah, I think Hayden looked perfect with those evil eyes. He was much better in this one than AotC.

G_A_Thrawn
05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
No doubt he looked the part, but he sounded like a whining little kid at the end of the movie when he was screaming at Obi Wan. I think you know what part.

I know we are still observing some discretion about spoilers, but is there really anyone on this forum who hasn't seen it by now?

If so, when do you guys think would be appropriate to stop prefacing a detail about the movie with a spoiler warning?

Just wondering if anyone has been to busy to see the flick yet!

broctoon
05-23-2005, 09:17 AM
I saw it again on Saturday afternoon, and enjoyed it even more. I wasn't nervous going into it this time. On my first viewing I was nervous that I wouldn't like it, but now going into for a second time I knew exactly what to expect, and had a better time. And the things that bugged me the first time didn't seem nearly as bad this time around. Not that I didn't like it the first time, 'cause I did, but I love it even more now.

One thing that never bothered me was Hayden during that last part. I thought that when he yelss at Obi-Wan it was perfect. Didn't sound like a whiny kid at all to me. He sounded like someone filled with hatred and rage. That whole scene, including Obi-Wan's little speech to him now ranks up with my favorite moments in any Star Wars movie.

As far as spoilers- It think just about everyone on here must have seen it by now. And if they haven't, and were serious about trying to avoid "spoilers" I don't think they would be reading a ROTS reaction thread.

xwing_5
05-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Not sure if this is a spoiler, since it does not reveal any plot, but . . . .

Did anyone notice a certain Corellian Freighter in the space battle? It kinda flew by rather quickly but it was there.

r2d2tjk
05-23-2005, 02:58 PM
No, but I did see the Falcon in the lower left docking below Obi and Ani when they returned in the taxi to be greeted by the politicians.

I have seen it twice now and got choked up in two sections, when the Ani is pondering in the counsel chamber and at the very end looking at the setting suns. I thought a couple of times it dragged some, but I thought the editing and music were inspired starting when Ani was alone through the slaughter. I would rank the next half hour up with the Michael retribution/baptism scenes in The Godfather. This part of the movie got to me the second time around even though I knew it was coming.

As far as General Grievous, I didn't mind it because I figured he had to be taken down a notch because he would have been a possible apprentice once Dooku exited. I liked when he entered the room like a velociraptor.

Now that it is done, I view this as part of one film instead of one of six. So I don't really want to compare it to the other parts, though I think it stands up as well as any of the others. In the ramp up, I've watched pretty much all the major parts of the other five films and think the whole will hold together as one big film viewed all at once, especially in 3D as rumored. Unfortunately, just as my 4 and 8 year old sons were getting pysched about this movie, I don't think they will be able to see it on the big screen just yet because it is too intense for them. I hope they will see on the big screen some day when it's rereleased.

MARTI
05-24-2005, 04:59 PM
I've seen it three times now and I still love it!! There are a couple of points I think still should have been addressed, why just have threepio's memory erased R2's should have been as well. And also when Obiwan leaves Ani for dead, after Ani's transformation to Vader shouldn't he still have sensed that Obiwan was still alive?? Other than that I had a great time and plan to go see it digitally soon. Does anyone know if the digital print is definately longer than the theatrical one?? I know it is supposed to be but I have heard no confirmation of this as of yet. I also would have liked to see the young Mon Mothma, we have her figure but no appearance in the movie same goes for Yoda riding that big mosquito. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hiryu
05-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't think the problem was haydens acting in AOTC but as much as that lucas wrote him a [censored] part. Also I know I said this before but I was bugged by how Plo Koon Died. He obviously knew the clones were after him and from what I heard he's a very good pilot. How could a jedi be shot down by a clone ship?

redstar2
05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
In response to the "Why doesn't Vader sense Obi-Wan after his transformation?" statement/question, I believe that Vader does know that Obi-Wan is alive and will be hunting for him between ep. 3 and 4. Probably not finding him though until ep. 4 in reality.

MARTI
05-30-2005, 08:00 PM
I had read in the Vanity Fair article earlier this year that the digital print of the film was going to be longer. I saw it this afternoon digitally at the River East AMC and it is no different length wise from the theatrical cut. That is a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!