PDA

View Full Version : To Personalize or Not To Personalize?

Jedi_Joel
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
C3's coming up and I plan to snag a bunch of autographs, and this question popped up. Do I really want it personalized? What's your take on this? And for those of you who've had their pics personalized what do you have them write, or do you just supply your name?

IrishJedi
03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't buy autographs for resale, so I always get mine personalized.

I usually just give them my name and let them add whatever else they want.

Habs98
03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I just like the signature on a figure or 8x10, not big on having it personalized.

Jedi_Joel
03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't buy autographs for resale, so I always get mine personalized.
I usually just give them my name and let them add whatever else they want.

Well the thought of reselling them has never crossed my mind before you mentioned it. I think I just might have them personalized if it's not going to be a multiple signing.

NS_Stormtrooper
03-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Nothing personalized for me - I just get their signatures or whatever the celebrity's standard is. For example, Richard LaParmentier put "The Force works!" and the date on a Motti figure he autograph for me at the Pittsburgh Comicon a few years ago. I thought that was pretty neat. David Prowse signed a Vader for me that read "David Prowse IS Darth Vader" - bitter but original.

I wasn't in any Star Wars movies so I don't want MY name on a figure or photo.

DarthShader32812
03-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Depends on the item being signed, too.

When I first started collecting signatures, I just wanted the autograph by itself. Now I prefer personalization if the celeb is cool with it. I don't sell any of mine, so a memory is priceless.

It just really depends on where your collecting is at, everyone is different.

mousedroid
03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
For me it depends who the celebrity is. Some people I just like to have because I collect SW autographs, others I want a more personal momento of.

For example, when it comes to the guy who moved Jabba's tail I couldn't give a Hutt's butt if he puts my name on the picture. On the other hand, if I meet someone like Carrie Fisher or Mark Hammill, I'd love to have them write "To [my name]" on my figure or picture, because it's cool to have met Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker. To me anyway.

Also, I'm a little leary of what some people might write. I'm cool with things like, "The Bounty is Mine" "Oona Goota, [my name]?" or "The Force Works!" One time though I had some guy who was supposedly a Jawa in Star Wars sign something for me and he scribbled a whole novel about how it was nice to meet me and may the Force be with me and blah, blah, blah! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bryan_X
03-23-2005, 05:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
David Prowse signed a Vader for me that read "David Prowse IS Darth Vader" - bitter but original.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Dave Prowse signs EVERYTHING "Dave Prowse IS Darth Vader". Still cool though.

Carrie Fisher personalized her photo with my name and I'm fine with that. For me it comes down to the fact that I'm not in this hobby for the value of my collection. I'm in it because of the deep sentimental value I have from growing up with Star Wars. So for me, it's great to meet a Star Wars 'Star' and the autograph with my name on it is a great memory of that.

NS_Stormtrooper
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I didn't mean my David Prowse Vader was a "one of a kind" original - just that his autograph tagline is all his own. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bryan_X
03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I missunderstood. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wuher
03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I do not get mine personalized because I know who I am - they are not for resale -

Jay_Chladek
03-26-2005, 10:12 PM
(Appologies for those that may have seen this in the "36 and counting thread" as for some weird reason, the send button sent it there and not here. This is the repost).

I typically tend to get my autographs personalized since mostly what I get are photos anyway. They won't be sold. I've only had one action fig to date signed and that was a Gold Leader fig by Angus MacInnes and I had that one personalized as well since both Angus and I had been hoping for such an action figure for awhile now.

As for Prowse, about 20 years ago he would sign just "David Prowse, Darth Vader" so the "is" is a recent thing.

Nicklab
03-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I prefer to get my autographs personalized. I don't intend to sell them, and the fun for me has always been meeting the actor to get their signature. Personalization just adds to that. It makes it more personal to me, and much less like a business transaction.

Darth_Big_Boy
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
I get mine in person non personalized. Thorugh the mail I tell the person they can personalize if they like ( to show them I'm not a seller but a fan.

Dunedain
04-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I try to get my Star Wars autographed photos personalized when possible. It makes the autographed
item uniquely to you and not anyone else. And the Star Wars luminaries prefer it, I think.
Because they know it's going directly to a real Star Wars fan.

IndianaVader
04-16-2005, 12:22 AM
My family goes to all of them and we get them personalized by our favorites (IE my dad got Bulloch and I goto Prowse, my sister got Amy Allen, etc) and we put them all in that Leather CII autograph binder and keep them all in there and if there was time, we took pictures to keep with them.

_Max

michael_mensinger
04-17-2005, 12:23 AM
As other have alluded, personalizing does affect the resale value in a negative way, but at the same time it can add more meaning to the signature for collectors. Although autograph collecting isn't an area I'm active in with my collecting, I do own a few autographed photos of various actors that I acquired years back at various shows. I opted against personalizing on those.

-Mike

stylie_steve
04-18-2005, 05:45 AM
To me if possible I always get my autos personlized. I am not interested in vaule at all so a personlized auto means a lot more to me.

So far every auto I have except for Samuel L Jackson (with my MR Saber) and Pater Mayhew who I thought was very unfreidnly have personalized the pictures.

I think my fav has to be my Temuera Morrison & Daniel Logan signed Jango and Boba photo with "To Steve, May the force be with you Bro" on it.

Dave Prowse wrote his normal "To Steve, Dave Prowse is Darth Vader" on his photo and Ray Park wrote "To Steve, Darkside -signigture- Sith" in some funky writting on it, its quite cool.

I think the more unique the comment the more special the photos become.

TT8L
04-26-2005, 09:08 PM
The only autographa I ever gt were from an executive at Hasbro, reponsible for my favorite action figures (G.I. Joe, sorry), from some lady that was in Star Treck and from Lara Hama (wrote the Joe comics). I don't have any SW autographs but, if I did I would want them personalized, but I won't get an autograph if I have to wait in line.

All the autographs I have are from people I actually met and spoke to at some length. After I spoke to one of them and told him how I had passed up an oppertunity to work in the same market as he, and quipped that I was wasting my life he signed a comicbook alongside Lara Hama -
"Stop wasting your life, Matt"

Lara Hamma just wrote his name, but I was lucky enough to talk to him for a few minutes. I bet if I ever tried to get an autograph from a SW character I would not have time to talk to them, I hope that I'm wrong though.

Luke
04-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Depends on the item being signed, too.

When I first started collecting signatures, I just wanted the autograph by itself. Now I prefer personalization if the celeb is cool with it. I don't sell any of mine, so a memory is priceless.

It just really depends on where your collecting is at, everyone is different.

I totally agree! It's all about the experience. What will an Ewoks autograph be worth down the road in monetary value? But wait until your son or daughter sees that an Ewok autographed a picture to YOU! They will think you are the coolest! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dunedain
12-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it's great to have a really nice autographed Star Wars photo that is signed to you personally. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dooku1
12-23-2005, 11:54 AM
If I could get Natalie to sign one "Lustfully yours" I'd be all for it.

xbomber
12-23-2005, 02:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
David Prowse signed a Vader for me that read "David Prowse IS Darth Vader" - bitter but original.

I believe Dave Prowse signs EVERYTHING "Dave Prowse IS Darth Vader". Still cool though.

Carrie Fisher personalized her photo with my name and I'm fine with that. For me it comes down to the fact that I'm not in this hobby for the value of my collection. I'm in it because of the deep sentimental value I have from growing up with Star Wars. So for me, it's great to meet a Star Wars 'Star' and the autograph with my name on it is a great memory of that.

[/QUOTE]
He does! Did the same for me in Emgland last month. Nice guy, although 30 (about $55) seemed a little steep.

xbomber
12-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry - to get back on OT. YES he presonalised it and I get everything personalised. Looks v. cool on my wall and I don't want to re-sell.

doomdeath
12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
I prefer to get my autographs personalized. I don't intend to sell them, and the fun for me has always been meeting the actor to get their signature. Personalization just adds to that. It makes it more personal to me, and much less like a business transaction.

like wise even though i have un personalized ones (which are still cool to me ) i like my autographs with my name on it....robert

Sketchman
12-27-2005, 04:32 AM
With the very few (Ray Park,Kenny Baker,David Prowse, Jeremy Bullock,Peter Mayhew,Young Boba fett) Auto's I've collected in the past, I usually have them sign it to my sons. "To Anakin and Henry...". The signers usually get a kick out of the fact that my oldest is named Anakin. I had Ray sign something just to me.

Victor_Von_Doom
12-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Since I don't plan on selling my autographs, I like them personalized. I don't usually ask for them to be personalized though, just because I sort of feel like its imposing a bit. About 50% of my TTM successes have been personalized, which I think is somewhat odd because I don't see reports of people getting their stuff personalized TTM a whole lot.

I have noticed that a lot of celebrities (not just Star Wars) are shying away from just giving their signature and are doing more personalizations. I think the reason for this is that a lot of celebrities don't want to see their autographs for sale on eBay, and if its personalized the value drops greatly.

I know some celebrities will only give you an authentic one TTM if you ask for it to be personalized. Jay Leno is one of these people. I sent him an email asking for it to be personalized; if you don't you will recieve a PP. I started seeing reports on other sites of people getting the PPs because they did not ask for it to be personalized, so I waited and kept hoping. It took a while, but finally an authentic one arrived. I'd much rather have an authentic one arrive a year late than get a PP right away.

DarthScionTc
12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Personalize if you get in person and not personalize if you brought it from someone else. I am doing this way because I can keep track which artist i met in person!

morpheus
12-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I like to get personalized photos if I can. I don't plan to re-sell, so I enjoy having the personal touch.

I wouldn't want to have a personalized trading card, though, since there really isn't all that much room to write on them.

Jedi_Joel
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
It's pretty funny seeing that this thread of mine has be resurrected after 8 months of being buried in the forums.

Philip_Marlowe
12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't have any celebrity photos(unless you count SW Artists as celebrities), but all that I do have are personalized and if I were to get autos from actors I'd want them personalized as well.