PDA

View Full Version : predictions

grandpa_yoda
02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
IF Gl Doesnt screw things up with inane dialogue I am prediciting that this film will supercede the other five in gross and possibly become the number one movie of all time. That is until episode VII. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bjlevine
02-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Even if this is a great film, I don't see that happening for several reasons:

1. General public impression of the PT is not that great.
2. With DVD sales, there aren't as many repeated viewings as there used to be (it was years after release before the original Star Wars was available on video).
3. This is the darkest of the SW movies, and while the ending is a SW fan's dream, I suspect the average movie-goer to be a bit letdown.

I know that this sounds like sacrilege to SW fans, but I'm talking about reality here. I suspect that it will finish somewhere between TPM and AOTC.

grandpa_yoda
02-24-2005, 11:26 AM
the critics have not been kind to the first to prequels and I think that the buzz and expectations for TPM were to much for GL to match although there was great disappointment. He has even acknowlegded the fact that introducing Anakin as a boy was a tough sell. If the critics give this movie a thumbs up I think it will go along way to push this film over the top. I think even a causal fan will want to see anakin become Darth Vader. Everyone has hear of Vader so lets hope the critics with the help of George dont screw things up
PS How do I get my eye to blink http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bjlevine
02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Its an animated gif. Basically several slightly different frames in one file.

Topping th original SW is going to be very, very tough (impossible if you adjust for inflation). People might go two or three times, but most will wait for the DVD. With the original, I know people who went 20 times during its initial run (which lasted like 6 months).

Even though the critics weren't too kind to TPM, just about everyone went to see it at least once. The lead-up hype was huge. The reviews for AOTC were better, but it didn't do nearly as well. Ultimately, I think that the choice to only include Vader at the very end will hurt ROTS, in terms of the general public.

grandpa_yoda
02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Just curious. Do you think that in the overall scheme of things that Vader should get more screen time. I have heard many say on this forum that too much vader ruins it for episode IV. Now that all the movies are out and on dvd I dont think it matters any more. In my personal opinion I would have liked to see vader maybe last 20 minutes of movie. We know that the climatic duel between anakin and obi wan will not be how the movie ends so why not more vader

bjlevine
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally, what I thought would've worked best is for Obi-Wan and Anakin to duel it out early in the film, with Anakin apparently left for dead. Then have the mysterious Vader show up seemingly out of nowhere wiping out Jedi. At the end, reveal (to the characters) that he is really Anakin.

As it is, Vader is little more than a cameo, which is surprising since he dominates most of the marketing. I think there will be a backlash.

Neal
02-24-2005, 01:26 PM
IF Gl Doesnt screw things up with inane dialogue I am prediciting that this film will supercede the other five in gross and possibly become the number one movie of all time. That is until episode VII. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Umm, no. It won't even be the highest-grossing Star Wars film, much less the highest overall. If it ends up the third-highest grossing Star Wars film, it should be considered a huge success.

Trex
02-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Its an animated gif. Basically several slightly different frames in one file.

Topping th original SW is going to be very, very tough (impossible if you adjust for inflation). People might go two or three times, but most will wait for the DVD. With the original, I know people who went 20 times during its initial run (which lasted like 6 months).

Even though the critics weren't too kind to TPM, just about everyone went to see it at least once. The lead-up hype was huge. The reviews for AOTC were better, but it didn't do nearly as well. Ultimately, I think that the choice to only include Vader at the very end will hurt ROTS, in terms of the general public.

I agree with you here.. I almost never go to see a movie more than once in a theater. Studios have timed their dvd releases to maximize sales.... Lucas may be a bit different with this film, but it's tough to say. I may go see this twice simply because it may be a bit longer before this comes out on dvd..

Neal
02-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I may go see this twice simply because it may be a bit longer before this comes out on dvd..

The DVD is due to be released in either October or November ... most likely November.

MisterKenobi
02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
I think that it will be the best... but I definitely don't see it out-grossing TPM since 9 years olds aren't really going to be too much into it. I think this film will undo the child-friendliness that TPM posessed. What I do know is that this will be the only chance I have to get my son to see Star Wars on the big screen, so we will be going later in the year to see it. I will go by myself at least 10 times I think.

Neil
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM
I dont know whether to take my little girl to this one. She loves chewie and all but she's only 4 and it looks very dark. And kids love happy endings so what ya gonna do?

I'll probably see it twice in thatres. One misnight, and one with the family. Maybe once more if its that much better. But with DVD released just a few months away its so much easier to wait. Annd lets face it, theatre prices aren't likely to drop anytime soon.

Census
02-25-2005, 06:33 AM
I think that it will be the best... but I definitely don't see it out-grossing TPM since 9 years olds aren't really going to be too much into it.

It depends what kind of children are going. Are they children of parents who take them no matter what and they don't even like Star Wars. Or is it a child who saw the rereleases in 1997 and has been a hardcore fan ever since. It all depends on what kind of fan you or your children are.

I mean a lot of those nine-year olds who saw TPM have been a fan of Star Wars ever since.

lane634
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't think it will do better BO than ANH. Although I think it will make it into the top 10 films.

philraymond
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
The first two prequels sucked monkey b*lls and they still made a butt load of money. If Sith is actually watchable, and the dialogue doesn't cause people to chop their ears off, I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed Mencace and Clones at the box office.

And that is a BIG if. One can only hope, but I'm ready for another let-down.

Phil

JarJarBlinks182
04-07-2005, 04:23 PM
My prediction:
The "true" Star Wars fans will continue to b*tch and moan about how much the prequels suck and lack any value whatsoever.

I love the prequels, and I'm just excited I get to create all new Star Wars memories for myslef. I think ROTS will be an amazing movie, and could possibly become my favorite of all six. Who knows, but I love the story that unfolds in this episode and I am counting down the minutes!

philraymond
04-07-2005, 06:42 PM
My prediction:

We still won't be able to see where George Lucas' ***** ends and his fanboys' lips begin.

faith4ever
04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I see this movie likely outgrossing the rest of the PT, but falling short of ANH (adjusted). It will, in no uncertain terms, top Titanic. The market isn't there.

Yes, this movie is darker, but all of those kids who loved TPM who were maybe 9 at the time are now 15 and have likely seen every SW movie by now and so may very well be anticipating the link movie just like the rest of us. Something to keep in mind, life is sooooo much darker than movies can hope to portray, so those 15 year olds won't exactly run home and have nightmares.

While I'm loyal to the OT, I enjoy the PT as well. It takes a little more gumption to watch TPM as they kiddified it way too much for my tastes, but as much as I loved the trailers for AOTC and got all antsy to finally see it, I haven't been this anxious for a SW movie since the hype before TPM. Haven't wanted to see a movie based upon trailers like this since LOTR:TT either.

In an entertainment sense, this movie should rock the world. Even if there's the shlocky dialogue that appears, it gives the PT a certain quality that puts a "This is a GL film" stamp on it - just sit back, tune out reality, and enjoy the movie.

I plan to see it at least two or three times at the show, even if it were to come out on DVD in June. The experience -cannot- be compared between the smallscreen (even with SS) and the bigscreen with Dolby Digital.

echo1441
04-09-2005, 10:22 PM
As it is, Vader is little more than a cameo, which is surprising since he dominates most of the marketing. I think there will be a backlash.

Much like Maul in TPM

bjlevine
04-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Okay, without b*tching and moaning about the prequels, I think that the best ROTS can hope for is to come close to TPM in gate. A good indicator is how well the big April 2 toy release did (or rather didn't do). I know that the local Walmart had a big tent set up with all kinds of hoopla prepared, and almost no one showed. Stark comparison to the two hour line I waited in at TRU to get the E1 toys in 1999.

Its pretty obvious to me that this will be the best of the prequel films, but there was so much pent up demand when TPM hit, and lots of non-SW fans went to see it. Many of those people have since written off the prequels. I think that if ROTS tops AOTC in gate, Lucasfilm will be very, very happy.