PDA

View Full Version : Why Attakus is becoming my favorite line to date..

darth_steeler
11-15-2004, 08:39 PM
1. Amazing products. Bottom line is that Attakus sculpts contain amazing attention to detail and their overall quality is top notch. GG is a great line, but imo I'm rather turned off by the "exclusives" and variants (chrome items) that really add nothing to the collecting experience other than the chase. Attakus characters are sculpted in iconic poses (Vader, Han, Chewie), and these things have some heft to them. Plus I'd rather have a full statue than a bust any day. Maybe GG's line of statues will change my mind on that.

2. No re-hashes or ridiculous "chase" variants. Enough said. Editions have enough time between releases for you to get excited about them. I'm not constantly being bombarded with releases of "chrome" exclusives or re-painted releases (clone troopers).

3. LE means LE. Sure the Vader was re-released but in a noticebly different pose that will in no way diminish the intrinsic value of the 1st Vader release. Not just new materials or paint job and calling it "elite" edition. 1,500 means 1,500.

3. Price. Sure these things are expensive but they are worth every penny. I've never had a regret shelling $$ out for an Attakus product. Can't say I say the same for many other high-end collectible lines (MR, Code3, GG).

Imo, this line embodies all that is right with SW collecting. A great product at a fair price (yes it's high, but these things are hand sculpted works of art), and a real sense of striving to be true to the characters and the SW mythos.

Please, feel free to agree or disagree with me. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S_W_R_N_
11-15-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm totally with you on this. I know that many think that these are priced way too high, but I must say that when you get them in hand and really look at the size and scukpting it makes it all worth the money. I hated to spend $500 on Vader II but when I actually got it I can't even describe how great it is.
I know that GG has some great sculpts too but their line is in the 12" scale. Attakus statues are huge and really add a lot to mo overall Star Wars collection. I can't wait for the next line though I am still trying to get caught up on the last one.

Sleepless_Knight
11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
I wrestled for a long time over whether or not I should get the Padme. Cost was the main deterrent. When I finally decided to, I was thrilled with the result. The detail on these must be seen to be believed. I'd rather have a few high end collectibles than a ton of cheap plastic ones. Buying the Attakus Padme has led to me taking a long break from actually purchasing any SW collectibles, but I'm okay with that. It's well worth it.

Drizzit
11-16-2004, 08:58 AM
I also think these are great. I have ten of them and yes they are expensive, but they look great. I also like the fact that not one of these has gone down in value. I don't collect for the value, but I hate looking at my carded figs that I bought for 5 bucks each and now see all of them for 1 or 2 bucks on ebay. What a waste of money. I worry that they are supposed to release like 8 or 9 more of these next years. I may have to take out a mortage just to get them. My wife should love that.

QuiGonJ
11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
I would love to have the Artoo figure in the Attakus line, just can't afford it.

_DJ_
11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
I would love to have the Artoo figure in the Attakus line, just can't afford it.

I'd love to have any Attakus, just can't afford it. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just hope with SideShow and Gentle Giant getting into the Star Wars Statue game, we start to see the prices on the Attakus stuff drop to a more average colletors price range.

FartVader
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I just hope with SideShow and Gentle Giant getting into the Star Wars Statue game, we start to see the prices on the Attakus stuff drop to a more average colletors price range.

Ha! No way would I want the Attakus prices to drop for the average collector and I would say that anyone who owns these statues would agree. That's what the GG line and sideshow line is for. I have many Attakus statues and the reason I do is because they are truly AMAZING in detail and craftsmanship. If Attakus statues dropped in price, they would lose part of their real value. I don't think anyone wants to spend that much money on a statue unless it were to retain its value.

_DJ_
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM

Ha! No way would I want the Attakus prices to drop for the average collector and I would say that anyone who owns these statues would agree. That's what the GG line and sideshow line is for. I have many Attakus statues and the reason I do is because they are truly AMAZING in detail and craftsmanship. If Attakus statues dropped in price, they would lose part of their real value. I don't think anyone wants to spend that much money on a statue unless it were to retain its value.

To each their own. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brainiak76
11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
the attakus stautes look pretty good are extrememly heavy and are pretty huge!! But due to cost im in the same boat as many of you...there just too expensive....

but i honestly woundlt mind selling out at least $300 for the emperor...thats one nice looking statue! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

_DJ_
11-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh Attakus does some amazing statues that's for sure.

But if I was worried about the piece retaining it's monetary value, I'd keep my money in the bank. But that's just me.... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

S_W_R_N_
11-16-2004, 06:52 PM
If you watch ebay enough you can find some decent deals even on Attakus. I got the emporer without a box for $185. High but better than $300.
Also, does anyone have the full rundown of the statues coming in the next assortment?

Sleepless_Knight
11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Oh Attakus does some amazing statues that's for sure.

But if I was worried about the piece retaining it's monetary value, I'd keep my money in the bank. But that's just me.... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I agree with you DJ. As you know, I love my Padme Attakus, but didn't get it as an investment. I don't want to sell it anyhow as Padme's my favorite piece of my collection.

SirJediKnightTim
11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
I LOVE my GG busts. I have never seen a Attakus in person. Where is the best place to buy them online?

Jrosen
11-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Anybody have pictures of the Attakus metal statues? I am very intregued about the diorama.

DarthShader32812
11-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Yes, this new metal collection sounds very interesting. Hope to get the Attakus Chewie, he is beautiful! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

FartVader
11-16-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree with your point about purchasing something and not caring about its monetary value in the future. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's purchased an item at regular price (from MR for example)...only to see it at half that value a year from when it was purchased. It makes me feel extremely cheated. Attakus statues for the most part retain their value and in the long run increase in value. Right now you can get the Jango Fett, Clone Trooper, Obi-wan, Jawa, or Amidala statue at a cheaper price than retail on ebay, but if you wait too long to get these....you risk them selling out and going up in value. In the end it's up to you how much you're willing to pay...but I don't blame Attakus for selling these at the price they do. These statues are the best in terms of quality. I guess when the GG Dewback comes out we'll see who's really the winner in terms of price and quality.

Drizzit
11-17-2004, 08:33 AM
I agree with FartVader 100%. I don't buy for the investment, but I hate spending my hard earned cash and then finding the item that I purchased for cheaper the following year or month or whatever. If I were investing there are better things to speculate on. JMO

_DJ_
11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree with your point about purchasing something and not caring about its monetary value in the future. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's purchased an item at regular price (from MR for example)...only to see it at half that value a year from when it was purchased. It makes me feel extremely cheated. Attakus statues for the most part retain their value and in the long run increase in value. Right now you can get the Jango Fett, Clone Trooper, Obi-wan, Jawa, or Amidala statue at a cheaper price than retail on ebay, but if you wait too long to get these....you risk them selling out and going up in value. In the end it's up to you how much you're willing to pay...but I don't blame Attakus for selling these at the price they do. These statues are the best in terms of quality. I guess when the GG Dewback comes out we'll see who's really the winner in terms of price and quality.

I agree that Attakus does good work, never said they didn't.

It is nice to see a SW piece that does indeed retain it's value after purchase, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.

Personally, I'd love to have an Attakus Vader and maybe someday I will. But if GG's Vader is comparable in quality and detail for almost 1/2 the price I'll opt for that one.

GG's items are going UP in VALUE as well aren't they? Anyone seen a regular Vader mini bust, that sold for $45 when released, go for anywhere under $200 recently? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If so, please let me know where..... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kaneda_01
11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
I just spoke with our account rep at Attakus and here's the series 4 line up (2005 - 2006):

- Sandtrooper
- Wicket
- Tusken Raider
- Tie Fighter Pilot
- Probe Droid
- General Grevious
- Luke Jedi (Green Saber)
- Oola (Jabba Scenario)
- Gamorrean Guard (Jabba Scenario)
- Bib Fortuna (Jabba Scenario)

He did'nt have any additional information on the upcomming metal line. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gruson
11-18-2004, 04:29 PM
I have always loved their statues. I stopped buying "toys" about 5 years ago and have been buying nice statues since then. I own the following Attakus statues and love them, they look VERY nice:
Vader II
2 Stormtroopers
Chewbacca and Han
Emperor
Darth Maul

I cannot wait to see the Probe Droid and Sandtrooper next year.

Sleepless_Knight
11-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I LOVE my GG busts. I have never seen a Attakus in person. Where is the best place to buy them online?

I've seen Attakus in the U.S. from SWshop.com and EntertainmentEarth.com. I ordered Padme through SWshop.com because their shipping prices were far cheaper. (As a side note, the package was shipped in a very well protected manner) I did see a Padme on ebay with free shipping, but it was only $10.00 cheaper, so I chose to forego the auction hassle and risk of possibly not receiving a very expensive item.

Jimbo
11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Attakus does produce some nice stuff, but it can't be denied they are a ta bit over priced.

You can find deals out there though on Attakus you just have to give it time and look around. I scored a Han Carbo statue on eBay last year for $100. You can't touch him for under $200-250.

I think GG may give Attakus a run for thier money though. If anyone has seen the GG Chewie in person you understand what I mean. I still til this day kick myself in the [censored] though everytime I think about not getting the 1st Vader for $325 when I had the chance...

madchimp
11-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Attakus is a GREAT line. I do agree they are overpriced, but I wonder how much of that has to do with the exchange rate of the dollar vs. the Euro?? If they were made in the US, I'm sure the prices would be slightly cheaper.
Anywhoo----I have the Jawa, Salacious Crumb (by himself, not with the pipe and bowl), Yoda 1, and I have Yoda 2 on pre order and am still waiting on an order I have for Vader 2 (NEVER ORDER FROM CRAZY STAR WARS!!!). I totally lucked out on the Yoda 1 when I got him---I snagged him for $149 shipped when he was released. I loved the line, and I loved Yoda, and bought him because he was the cheapest at the time (I had to pass on Vader and Boba---DOH!)

_DJ_
11-19-2004, 09:24 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
I think GG may give Attakus a run for thier money though. If anyone has seen the GG Chewie in person you understand what I mean.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Jimbo!

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks GG will finally give Attakus some competition in the SW statue game. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sleepless_Knight
11-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I made the mistake of telling my little sister that Attakus is making a Wicket statue next year. Now, she says that she's thinking of buying it with her savings. My mom is going to kill me, especially since my sister will buy anything with an ewok on it. Oh well, maybe I just won't tell my sister when it becomes available.

_DJ_
11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Ohhhh...you're going to be in trouble.... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sleepless_Knight
11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I am. I created a monster the day I gave her my old stuffed ewok since I no longer wanted it. But at the same time, I did create a new Star Wars fan, so I guess it balances out. Plus, she's picked me up a few figures that I couldn't find.