PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Performances Of All Five Films

Inigo_Montoya
10-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah, just post some of your favorite performances here, either just a couple for some of the movies, top ten lists, whatever you like.

TPM
1. Liam Neeson - Qui-Gon Jinn
2. ILM & Voice Actor - Watto
3. Animatronics Team and Voice Actors - Neimodians
4. ILM & Voice Actor - Jar Jar Binks
5. ILM & Voice Actor - Ratts Tyerell
6. Ian McDiarmid - Darth Sidious
7. Ray Park & Voice Actor - Darth Maul
8. Ewan McGregor - Obi-Wan Kenobi

AOTC
1. Hayden Christensen - Anakin Skywalker
2. Ewan McGregor - Obi-Wan Kenobi
3. ILM & Frank Oz - Yoda
4. Temuera Morrison - Jango Fett
5. ILM & Voice Actor - Taun We
6. ILM & Voice Actor - Watto
7. Rose Byrne - Dorme

ANH
1. Sir Alec Guiness - Obi-Wan Kenobi
2. Harrison Ford - Han Solo
3. Peter Cushing - Grand Moff Tarkin
4. James Earl Jones (Voice) - Darth Vader
5. Dr. Evazan & Greedo - A bit of a stretch, but they were good.

TESB
Um, Harrison was good as usual. Yoda has best expressions here, and most memorable lines about the Force. Enjoyed the dedication of the Imperial commanders. Lobot was solid, totally believable as a lobotomized aide.

ROTJ
1. Ian McDiarmid - Emperor Palpatine
2. Michael Pennington - Moff Jerjerrod
3. Michael Carter & Voice Actor - Bib Fortuna
4. Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker (Pretty wicked Jedi, but still Luke)
5. Voice of Ackbar & Nien Numb
6. Everyone that came together for Jabba
7. Whoever did those whistles for Paploo http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
10-10-2004, 03:39 PM
TPM

1.Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon)
2.Ian McDairmid (Palpatine/Sidious)
3.Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan)
4.Andy Secombe (Watto)
5.Ray Park (Darth Maul)

AOTC

1.Temura Morrison (Jango)
2.Ian McDairmid (Palpatine/Sidious)
3.Christopher Lee (Dooku)
4.ILM & voice actor of Lama Su
5.Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan)

ANH

1.Alec Guiness (Obi-Wan)
2.Harrison Ford (Han)
3.Peter Cushing (Tarkin)
4.James Earl Jones (Voice of Vader)
5.Dennis Lawson (Wedge)

TESB (Best acted Star Wars film by far)

1.Mark Hamill (Luke)
2.Harrison Ford (Han)
3.Frank Oz (Yoda)
4.James Earl Jones (Voice of Vader)
5.Kenneth Colley (Admiral Piett)
6.Anthony Daniels (C-3PO)
7.John Hollis (Lobot)

ROTJ

1.Harrison Ford (Han)
2.Mark Hamill (Luke)
3.James Earl Jones (Voice of Vader)
4.Anthony Daniels (C-3PO)
5.Ian McDairmid (Palpatine)
6.Dennis Lawson (Wedge)

p.s. Inigo, you really think that Hayden Christiansen was the best AOTC actor?!?!?!?!?! WOW. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Inigo_Montoya
10-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion.
For instance, Wedge "Wow! Great shot!" Antilles didn't make any of my lists. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chewbacca
10-11-2004, 12:01 AM
I was thinking about starting a thread like this yesterday while watching the OT, though without going to the extent of the eighth-best TPM performance. I'll limit myself to one actor or character from each.
ANH - Alec Guiness
ESB - Harrison Ford, the best acting performance by any actor in any film of the Saga
ROTJ - Tough call, but watching ROTJ for Vader's body language in the Endor scene, I'll give joint custody to David Prowse and James Earl Jones
TPM - Easy, Liam Neeson
AOTC - Ewan McGregor is showing developing personality traits we associate with Old Ben Kenobi

bjlevine
10-11-2004, 08:06 AM
TPM
1. Liam Neesan
2. Watto
3. Ewan McGregor

AOTC
1. Ian McDiarmid
2. Christopher Lee
3. Ewan McGregor

ANH
1. Harrison Ford
2. Alec Guinness
3a. Peter Cushing
3b. Mark Hamill

ESB
1. Harrison Ford
2. Carrie Fisher
3. James Earl Jones/David Prowse

ROTJ
1. Harrison Ford
2. Jabba the Hutt
3. Ian McDiarmid

Just some follow-up: overall, I think that Han Solo is by far the best written character in the Saga. I think that the lack of a scoundrel character hurts the PT. In any case, Ford does a terrific job with it. Also, I definately think the Mark Hamill did better playing Luke as farmboy with heroic aspirations then as an actual hero. The character became too serious, and I think that Hamill was somewhat uncomfortable with this. Peter Cushing's role in ANH is the most underrated performance in Star Wars. Liam Neesan did a good job in TPM, but his role is also too serious, especially for the rogue Jedi character he is supposed to be. I guess having to play straight man to Jar Jar was a challange. Carrie Fisher's acting improves with each film, but she definately gets her best lines in ANH.

Neil
10-11-2004, 10:38 AM
I always thought Hamil got better, yes by ROTJ he was a little too serious, I put this down to the script and what was called for the closed off ROTJ, and the saga.

Neal
10-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Best Performances:

TPM - Liam Neeson
AOTC - Ewan McGregor
ANH - Harrison Ford
TESB - Frank Oz
ROTJ - Harrison Ford

bjlevine
10-11-2004, 03:52 PM
I always thought Hamil got better, yes by ROTJ he was a little too serious, I put this down to the script and what was called for the closed off ROTJ, and the saga.

I guess I should say that I thought that Mark's performance in ANH as the most enjoyable, but mainly because the material he was given was better. I mean "Tell me about your mother...". Eeeewwww!

Darth_Anton
10-13-2004, 12:15 AM
To me, clearly the best perfomances out of all five films came from Harrison Ford and Christopher Lee, with all due respect to Sir Alec Guiness.

Neil
10-13-2004, 04:01 AM
I agree that Chris Lee did very well with the poor lines he was given, but his part wasn't big enough to compare to Alec's, so I'll say old timer obi-wan wa s abetter performance.

Also if Dooku doenst turn out to be some sort of double agent his performance in AOTC will look very confusing.

bjlevine
10-13-2004, 07:59 AM
To me, clearly the best perfomances out of all five films came from Harrison Ford and Christopher Lee, with all due respect to Sir Alec Guiness.

Christopher Lee did a good job, but you really think that he did better than his pal Peter Cushing. To me, Tarkin may be the best true villain in the Saga. Of course, Palpatine still has one more shot.

The_Chosen_1
10-14-2004, 11:42 AM
I agree completely with Chewbacca! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great performances from those five.

IndianaVader
10-27-2004, 05:22 PM
I love the connection between Alec Guiness and McGregor. He really has filled in his shoes perfectly.

_Max

bjlevine
10-28-2004, 07:00 AM
I love the connection between Alec Guiness and McGregor. He really has filled in his shoes perfectly.

_Max

I'm not with you on this...yet.

I like Obi-Wan when alone in AOTC. But I didn't really like his scenes with Anakin. A very awkward relationship, certainly not one I'd ever describe as being friends.

Neil
10-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Hmm, yes, OT obi-wan was very gentle in his mentoring with Luke. Gentle in speech and manner.

With Anakin in the PT he's quite harsh and quick to reprimand, hard to say how Ewan approached this as the script didn't give much breathing room.

Neal
10-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Hmm, yes, OT obi-wan was very gentle in his mentoring with Luke. Gentle in speech and manner.

With Anakin in the PT he's quite harsh and quick to reprimand, hard to say how Ewan approached this as the script didn't give much breathing room.

Or maybe after what happened with Anakin, Obi-Wan changed his style a bit. After losing his Padawan to the Dark Side, seeing the Jedi Order wiped out, and watching the Republic become a tyrannical Empire, the man may have changed his ways.

IndianaVader
10-28-2004, 04:57 PM
That and he lives in little hut for 20 years by himself, he might be a little flimsy in the head. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

_Max

JarJarBlinks182
10-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Not to mention he is quite a bit older and has had time to develop a different teaching style. He's probably just matured.

Neil
10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
"Not to mention he is quite a bit older and has had time to develop a different teaching style."

Well how did he do that in 20 yrs of solitude? what did he teach and to who? Business strategy to Jawas? Target Practice to Rodians? obviously not.

Rayne made a good point, after Anakins fall he would have been very carefull with Luke, so as not to make the same mistakes.

JarJarBlinks182
10-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Rayne made a good point, after Anakins fall he would have been very carefull with Luke, so as not to make the same mistakes.

Well of course that would have a big impact on him, I'm sure that's a major part of it. I'm just saying that as anyone grows older their whole attitude and demeanor can change too. You mellow out a little and see things from a different perspective. You slow down. I bet some of that is playing into as well. No, I don't think he was teaching at Mos Eisley Community College, he's just matured some.

OmegaSquadComm
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
My favorite performances of all is from Qui-Gon Jin at the Phamtom Menace, I think that he saves the movie!

Blight
10-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Morrison as Fett. He played a really cool bad-guy.

blaster_E11
10-31-2004, 07:34 AM
TPM : liam neeson
aotc : ewan mcgregor
anh : peter cushing
esb : harisson ford
rotj : james earl jones

Neil
10-31-2004, 10:19 AM
ROTJ - for me, Ian McDairmid totally stole the show and went on the road with it, mind you JEJ and Mark H didn't do too bad in keeping up.

Winsto
11-06-2004, 04:12 AM
I agree what you said about Ian McDiarmid. He is the most under-rated actor in the OT. Just watch his face carefully in ROTJ, every twitch, every expression; he is dripping with Evil -and he enjoys it. It's almost a Shakespearean level of acting. Damn, he's good!

RedFiver
11-06-2004, 01:37 PM
TPM: Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon)

AOTC: Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan)

ANH: Alec Guiness (Obi-Wan)

ESB: Harrison Ford

ROTJ: No one really stood out for me. Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill both performed well. The Wicket character was really entertaining.

ROTS: Hopefully Hayden Christianson will fit the bill this time.

Winsto
11-07-2004, 03:25 AM
I thought Harrison Ford acted like a bit of a jerk in ROTJ. Anyone else think so?

Inigo_Montoya
11-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Not as much as in the first two. I like him best in ROTJ.

bjlevine
11-08-2004, 12:02 PM
I thought Harrison Ford acted like a bit of a jerk in ROTJ. Anyone else think so?

Wasn't that the point about Han Solo? He was a self-serving jerk, who became loyal to the Rebellion.

To me, Ford did the very best acting job of anyone in the saga (Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing were basically only in it for one film), and Han Solo is hands down the funniest character in SW.

Winsto
11-13-2004, 05:43 AM
I just read from a few sources that Harrison Ford didn't want to be in Star Wars movies anymore, and kept asking Lucas to kill the Han character off early in "Jedi" so he can go home. During autograph signings Mark Hamill signs "May the Force be with", you while Harrison signs " Force yourself". He seemed more "into it" with the first two films. He's one grumpy guy.

blaster_E11
11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
He's one grumpy guy.

i'd rather say he's one succesful actor who foresaw what star wars could do to his career
btw i chose cushing for ANH but it's only because harisson rocked in ESB and i didn't want to noinate him for two movies

bjlevine
11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
I just watched "Jedi" again yesterday (to coincide with all the fun I am having "blasting" Ewoks in Battlegrounds), and I have to say that Harrison's acting is not nearly as good as in ANH or ESB. He seems to be over-emoting a lot. Its possible that he's trying too hard to differentiate the character from IJ, but then I thought he was overacting in "The Last Crusade" too.

Neil
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I would say that he was in full ego-indy mode in ROTJ.

OT; I lost hours on that Battlegrounds game, shooting 3d Ewoks in Battlefront isn't any less addictive either.

JarJarBlinks182
11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I just watched "Jedi" again yesterday (to coincide with all the fun I am having "blasting" Ewoks in Battlegrounds), and I have to say that Harrison's acting is not nearly as good as in ANH or ESB. He seems to be over-emoting a lot. Its possible that he's trying too hard to differentiate the character from IJ, but then I thought he was overacting in "The Last Crusade" too.

You know, everytime I watch ESB I cringe when Harrison responds to Leia with, "Whooooo's scruffy lookin'?" and says, "Laugh it up fuzz ball," to Chewie... this is not Ford's best work. I actually think these are two of the most poorly delivered lines in the entire saga. He has some great moments, but he certainly adds to some of the cheesiness as well.

bjlevine
11-16-2004, 04:49 PM

You know, everytime I watch ESB I cringe when Harrison responds to Leia with, "Whooooo's scruffy lookin'?" and says, "Laugh it up fuzz ball," to Chewie... this is not Ford's best work. I actually think these are two of the most poorly delivered lines in the entire saga. He has some great moments, but he certainly adds to some of the cheesiness as well.

I dunno about that...seems like he's in full "arrogant pirate" mode to me. Its supposed to be a goofy moment, complete with sensual sibling kissing. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/icons/eek.gif Makes me wish that Lucas had kept the "blockhead!" line in ANH.

BTW Neil, it IS Battlefront that I'm playing. The challange is to make the Ewok spin 360 before going down ('course, I can't stop my kid from shooting the little buggers in the crotch...disturbing).

Obi_Robz
11-19-2004, 07:28 AM
TPM
1. Liam Neeson - Qui-Gon Jinn
2. ILM & Andy Secombe – Watto
3. Pernilla August –Shmi Skywalker

AOTC
No commendable performances.

Star Wars
1. Harrison Ford - Han Solo
2. Sir Alec Guiness - Obi-Wan Kenobi
3. Peter Cushing - Grand Moff Tarkin
4. Anthony Daniels – C-3PO (saved character via “English Butler” persona v. all that 2nd hand car dealer crap)
5. Ben Burt and all else involved in the “humanizing” of R2-D2 via the character’s sound design

ESB
1. Harrison Ford - Han Solo
2. All involved in the creation and presentation of Yoda
3. Billy Dee Williams - Lando Calrissian
4. Carrie Fisher – Princess Leia
5. Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker

ROTJ
1. Ian McDiarmid - Emperor Palpatine
2. All involved in the creation and presentation of Jabba
3. Given his age, an outstanding performance by Warwick Davis as Wicket – completely believable mannerisms based on his pet dog.
4. Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker, finally being less of a tool
5. Sebastian Shaw – the real Anakin Skywalker, intriguing link to the then “unknown” PT

Edit: AOTC issues are NOT the fault of the cast.

MisterKenobi
12-19-2004, 12:54 AM
AOTC
No commendable performances.

I have to disagree. Lee, Sam and Ewan were incredible in this movie!

TPM: Ewan, Ray Park

AOTC: Lee, Sam and Ewan

ANH: Hamill, Guiness, Ford

ESB: Hamill, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels

ROTJ: James Earl Jones, Carrie (HOT!)

captjustc
04-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Alec and Peter (Cushing not Mayhew) live in a different galaxy than all the rest.

BactaReality
04-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Alec Guinness hands down.

jediguy
04-17-2005, 12:05 PM
The Phantom Menace
1 - Ewan McGregor
2 - Ray Park
3 - Natalie Portman

Attack of the Clones
1 - Hayden Christiensen
2 - Ewan McGregor
3 - Natalie Portman
(What can I say, they were solid in my opinion.)

Revenge of the Sith
Obviously I haven't seen it yet, but it definetly looks like Ian McDiarmid may be winning this one.

A New Hope
1 - Sir Alec Guiness
2 - Harrison Ford
3 - Carrie Fisher

The Empire Strikes Back
1 - Frank Oz
2 - Billy Dee Williams
3 - James Earl Jones

Return of the Jedi
1 - Ian McDiarmid/ well . . . the Emperor
2 - Mark Hamill
3 - James Earl Jones

philraymond
04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
The only performance in the prequels thus far that didn't totally suck was Liam/Qui Gon. Most of the other actors are so bad that it is often difficult to watch or even listen to.

The unfortunate thing is that most of them are actually good actors in other films; proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that staying inside in front of blue screens talking to an imaginary person all day will make even the best actors blow chunks.

Phil

bjlevine
04-19-2005, 07:50 AM
I just watched the original again this weekend, and I never get tired of Peter Cushing's performance. Next to Vader, my favorite villain of the Saga.

DARKTR00PER
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
TPM
Liam neeson.
ATOC
Ewan McGregor
ROTS
Ian McDiarmid (without seeing It of course)

-------------
ANH
Peter Cushing
TESB
Mark Hamil
ROTJ
Any Stormtrooper that kills a Ewok http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, But im really stuck for one in ROTJ.
Hamil is too cocky & there isn't enough Ian McDiarmid.