PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Revenge of the Sith

Matt_Fury
08-14-2004, 07:44 PM
What are your expectations for Revenge of the Sith to make the Prequels a success for you? I know a bunch of people hate the PT starting with TPM....I have been waiting to judge these movies until I see them as a whole. Remember, when Lucas made TPM he knew there would be an AOTC and ROTS coming....not something that was true when the Original Star Wars hit the big screen in 1977.

For me, these things should happen in the movie (besides the Obvious Anakin becoming Vader):

It should be explained why Qui Gon and Vader were cremated while Yoda and Obi-Wan disappeared when they died. (Lucas said he would do this).

Jar Jar has to die (hopefully something gruesome).

We see how Yoda is able to hide he chooses Dagobah. (You'd think there'd be a HUGE man-hunt for the most powerful Jedi Master on the council).

The lightsaber duel (or duels) between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader have to be the most spectacular! (So far the best one IMO is the one in TPM).

And that's all I can think of right now. Honestly, I don't think this is too much to ask.

GNT
08-14-2004, 08:01 PM
The lightsaber duel will be spectacular so you don't need to worry about that, lot's of footage of it floating around. Other then that and possibly Yoda going to Dagobah the others don't stand much chance at all at the moment. Keep dreaming about Jar Jar http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

All I'm concerned about is that it's a good movie and I'm positive it will be - George has put alot of effort into making the 3rd film and I have yet to be disappointed by what I've seen.

If you go in expecting to much your only going to set yourself up for disappointment when something doesn't happen. Enjoy it for what it is, not what you think it should be. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chewbacca
08-15-2004, 02:53 AM
I pretty much would like to see all of Matt's proposed elements, and some, like the duel, have obviously been prophesied since the 1983 ROTJ novelization.
One more for me is very minor, but will someone get Lucas to finally come clean on what species Yoda and Yaddle are. Are they Whills and if not, then what the hell are they?

Deak_Starkiller
08-15-2004, 07:36 AM
I'm personally expecting a few "resolutions" to come out of ROTS rather than expectations:

- Threepio's and possibly Artoo's memory wipe. Why no later recognition of Tatooine and the Lars homestead.
- Leia spending a sensible amount of time with Padme after her birth, long enough to recall memories of her, as per her converstion with Luke in ROTJ.
- Anakin's mention or intent of passing down his lightsaber to Luke, as per Obi-Wan's mention.

That's all I can think of...but any or all of these issues not addressed in ROTS, we're going to be speculating about these on the forums come next year.

bjlevine
08-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Personally, I am much less concerned about continuity issues than with the quality of the film. I want to be entertained more than I want questions answered.

Trooper31
08-17-2004, 07:46 AM
I think my expectations are not too high, although I am sure I will like this film the most of the prequels. I'm not expecting every question to be answered, but a few would be nice.

I hope we see 3PO and R" get memory wipes. I think there is no reason why R2 should not get a memory wipe too. Of the two, I'm more of a 3PO fan.

The things said during the lightsaber battle will be interesting. I don't think it will give us a lot of info about the OT, but hopefully it will delve into why Anakin turns, what his reasons are, and does Obi-Wan purposefully not kill Anakin or does he really think Anakin died.

Seeing how Yoda goes to Dagobah and Obi-Wan to Tatooine. I hope Obi goes with Yoda and has Luke with him making a reference to Luke's line in TESB.

Also, hopefully we'll see a discussion between Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Bail. I think that will explain a lot of what happens or is supposed to happen in the OT.

bjlevine
08-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Obi-Wan and Bail? Dunno. Seems to me that the Rebellion has no knowledge of Luke Skywalker. Very likely that if they did, some might be in favor of killing him rather than facing the possibility of another Anakin. May be why Owen was so adament about Luke not getting involved.

Still, Leia has to know where to look for Ben.

Herbert_Ackermans
08-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I hope ROTS will at last give us the OT-feel that is sorely lacking from TPM and AOTC.

TESB was on TV here last sunday, and it is the best so far. Apart from the Hoth battle, it is all so small and personal, Luke and Yoda, Han and Leia, 2 very strong and captivating story lines.

It's been said ROTS will be much like TESB, small and personal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

GL must make sure he will not screw up THE event in ROTS, namely the duel, or the whole movie and with it the PT will sink faster than HMS Hood.

I hope the political mumbo-jumbo is kept to a minimum, or non-existant, it's not SW-material.

I also hope that there is going to be some explanations about for instance Sifo-Dias, how Anakin came to be and so forth.

ROTS will be my final hope.

Musashimaru
08-17-2004, 03:45 PM
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just hope that our dutch forum member absolutely loves ROTS. Otherwise, he will be posting criticisms of it until 2008. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deak_Starkiller
08-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Still, Leia has to know where to look for Ben.

Well, I'm sure that Bail knew...he might have told Leia to give her detailed instructs on where to find him.

The_Chosen_1
08-17-2004, 07:16 PM
If I've learned anything from the prequels, it's not to go into one with high expectations. It may be Star Wars, but so far my expectations of the prequels have been totally shot down. Not to say that TPM and AOTC are bad films, just that they could have been a whole lot better. I only pray that ROTS will be able to redeem GL somewhat.

Trooper31
08-18-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm sure that ROTS will redeem Lucas. All of the critics that have been slamming him since 1999 will be eating a healthy dose of crow.

I do hope that the duel is not filled with a bunch of unnecessary dialouge. For the record I don't think that it will be. But, I hope that any dialouge is essential to the downfall of Anakin and not just used to tie up loose ends.

Neil
08-18-2004, 04:42 AM
People keep saying that after ROTS everything will fall into place, for me it wont.

Unless there is some great twist coming, TPM will always stick out like a sore( and possibly infected) thumb. It will just look like the odd one out being soley aimed at kids whereas the other films are aimed all round.

ANH didnt need its sequels to be a great film, si I dont see how ROTS will make TPM any better.

bjlevine
08-18-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm sure that ROTS will redeem Lucas. All of the critics that have been slamming him since 1999 will be eating a healthy dose of crow.

I do hope that the duel is not filled with a bunch of unnecessary dialouge. For the record I don't think that it will be. But, I hope that any dialouge is essential to the downfall of Anakin and not just used to tie up loose ends.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

Say what you want, SW was always about the story. So far, all of the things that people are hyping about ROTS are just eye candy, and then Vader makes a cameo. I will wait to see it before making any judgements.

Neil
08-18-2004, 09:48 AM
The best duels in SW have been the ones with dialogue.

The bespin duel is just a confrontation and revelation that just happens around a duel, in AOTC it was great to see Christopher Lee Taunt Obi-wan, should have bene more of that and less acrobatic Yoda.

The TPM Maul duel, great as it looks, was just a series of stunts.

Trooper31
08-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Spoken like a true fanboy.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as a compliment. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have been enjoying the films and I will continue to enjoy them until I die. I'm not happy with everything that GL has done, but I like most things. From what I've heard about ROTS, I see no reason why I won't like it. I'm not getting my expectations up too high though because I know there a lot of things that have to happen anyway and I know some things won't be answered.

I agree with Neil that the duel dialouge is important. He's right about the TPM duel. Greta action sequence, but might have been more interesting with dialouge.

I just don't want any unnecessary dialouge that takes away from the importance of the duel. The following topics would be fine by me:

Anakin talking about his feelings for his mother and feeling betrayed by the Jedi or held back and how he could not save her. Anything having to do with Anakin's turn to the dark side. It would be fine with me if Obi-Wan tries to bring Anakin back to the good side too.

Herbert_Ackermans
08-18-2004, 11:18 AM
The duel NEEDS a lot of dialogue. If it's indeed going to last as long as is said, it's going to be pretty boring just watching the 2 hacking and slashing and bouncing and what's not.

I want Obi-Wan and Anakin to really spill all out at each other.

I also want to see Sidious be like the Emperor in ROTJ, and not like how Palpatine just always seems at the brink of bursting into tears whenever he needs to make a decision.

bjlevine
08-18-2004, 11:25 AM
The duel NEEDS a lot of dialogue. If it's indeed going to last as long as is said, it's going to be pretty boring just watching the 2 hacking and slashing and bouncing and what's not.

I want Obi-Wan and Anakin to really spill all out at each other.

I also want to see Sidious be like the Emperor in ROTJ, and not like how Palpatine just always seems at the brink of bursting into tears whenever he needs to make a decision.

Well, it might be cool if Anakin started accusing Obi-Wan of being jealous of him, and Obi-Wan retorts that he was jealous, not of his abilities, but of the attention that Qui-Gon gave him. This could leave Anakin with a glimmer of hope of salvation, then Padme shows herself, and it all turns to the rage of betrayal.

Just some thoughts. I still say that there is no evidence in thr PT that Ben and Anakin were ever good friends. That liar! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Obi_Robz
08-19-2004, 02:57 PM
MY GOD, I hope there’s some sort of twist. Palpatine = Sidious, Clones = Stormtroopers: I really hope there’s more to it.

But hey, at least ROTS will look good http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bjlevine
08-19-2004, 03:29 PM
MY GOD, I hope there’s some sort of twist. Palpatine = Sidious, Clones = Stormtroopers: I really hope there’s more to it.

But hey, at least ROTS will look good http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You're presupposing effort and thought being put into the story. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I really thought that Lucas would throw us a slip and have Chancellor Palpatine not be Darth Sidious, but have Sidious off him and assume his identity. Note the unleashed Darth Sidious figure. Alas, I'll admit I'm wrong, but I was hoping for some kind of surprise, too.

Neil
08-19-2004, 04:11 PM
All these winking icons make me feel like I'm not getting an inside joke,lol.

It would be great if GL has been building up some sort of ultimate twist for ROTS, but what? lets hope its not sucky.

Michael_Knight
08-20-2004, 12:51 PM
My expectations for ROTS is that it doesn't suck.

bjlevine
08-20-2004, 01:10 PM
My expectations for ROTS is that it doesn't suck.

I don't expect it to suck, but I'm not sure that it can be a great movie. When you have to connect point B to point D, there's not much room to work with. Seeing as the problem with the PT has been the story, characters and script, I don' see how this gets drastically improved since the same guy is writing and directing. Everything people have been saying is either eye-candy or fanboy stuff.

Go ahead, Lucas...surprise me. I'll be happy to eat crow.