PDA

View Full Version : Rate the CGI Character - Week 6 – Yoda

Durge
08-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Rate the CGI Character - Week 6 – Yoda

We continue the segment this week with the Jedi Master, Yoda!

Some points that can be discussed include:

1. How convincing is he/she?
2. What is your favorite performance from this character?
3. What is your least favorite performance from this character?

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/img/movie2_bg.jpg http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/img/eu2_bg.jpg

Like many others, Yoda is one of my favorite Star Wars characters and Jedi. When I learned that Yoda was going to be turned into another CG character, I was worried that he would not be as convincing as the puppet.

After watching Episode 2 for the first time, I realized that they did an excellent job with the CG Yoda and it was perhaps even more convincing than the OT puppet. Watching “From Puppets to Pixels” showed me how much attention they paid to the puppet and I really appreciate their efforts.

Overall, I think Yoda is one of the best uses of CGI, especially in the lightsaber duel scene. They would have never been able to pull that off with a puppet. I give Yoda a 9.5/10 for being such an excellent CG character.

What do you think of the Yoda?

The_Chosen_1
08-08-2004, 09:26 PM
The CGI Yoda is definitely one of ILM's greatest accomplishments IMO. Not only is he realistic, but remains true to the character we know and love. I can't wait to see whether he will be improved even more in ROTS. My rating: 9.5/10 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Neal
08-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Other than Gollum, Yoda is the best CGI character ever portrayed on film. Fantastic. 10 out of 10.

bjlevine
08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Yeah, Yoda does look pretty good in AOTC. I just wish they had given him a more elegant fighting style.

Herbert_Ackermans
08-09-2004, 08:27 AM
The lightsaber duel is just NOT Yoda.

Yoda is a quiet, soft and gentle being, not some oddball that bounces around the place.

Yoda should've stayed true to his Ghandi like appearance in TESB.

Powerful, yes, but not like the way it goes in AOTC.

AFA Yoda as a character for the rest. Good enough, if they can make a T-Rex, they can do Yoda.

Muftak
08-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I enjoyed Yoda. It was a little odd seeing him actually form syllables with his mouth and lips, but other than that I didn't notice his CGI-ness too much.

It was nice to see him moving around a lot in scenes. Floating in his chair, zooming around in the Gunship, wandering Palpatine's office.

Oz did well vocally. While I'm not sure I agree with the need for a big fight scene, his grunts and near-shrieks of exertion did add believablitiy to the fact that this was something Yoda's not used to doing (at least not anymore).

My favorite Yoda scene in AOTC has to be the Padawan scene. Yoda in his true element.

My least favorite CGI Yoda scene has to be the hobbling around at the end of TPM. He just didn't jibe with the puppet they cut to, and the edges were too sharp or something. Mot very convincing there.

Herbert_Ackermans
08-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I don't get why in TPM, it is the puppet, he looks so different than in AOTC and TESB/ROTJ.

It was a good thing to make Yoda appear as he was in the OT in AOTC.

And yes, the Bear Clan scene was were good old Yoda appeared again.

I don't remember hearing Yoda's theme in either TPM or AOTC, is that right?

Neal
08-09-2004, 10:01 AM

It's definitely in AOTC.
You can hear it on track #4 ... Yoda and the Younglings.
Doesn't his theme play during the scene in TPM where Yoda is promoting Obi-Wan to the rank of Jedi Knight on Naboo?

Herbert_Ackermans
08-09-2004, 10:03 AM

It's definitely in AOTC.
Doesn't his theme play during the scene in TPM where Yoda is promoting Obi-Wan to the rank of Jedi Knight on Naboo?

I'm going to check it out.

Muftak
08-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Also the theme plays (quite triumphantly) when Yoda grabs the power column that's about to fall on Obi-Wan and Anakin.

bjlevine
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM

It's definitely in AOTC.

Sounds like the making of a great trivia-question: in how many movies can Yoda's theme be heard?

Deak_Starkiller
08-10-2004, 03:21 AM
Definitely in TPM in the aforementioned scene. So far, that's 4 out of 5 films to date.

bjlevine
08-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Definitely in TPM in the aforementioned scene. So far, that's 4 out of 5 films to date.

"No. There is another."
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stormtrooper
08-10-2004, 12:10 PM
I've always been a fan of our little green Jedi. He is over 800!! Wow! LF did a great job with the puppets and the CG conversion. Although the puppet is a little more original, CG helped complete the finishing duel at the end of AOTC.

In all, I give him a 9.78/10.

P.S. Durge Is your avatar from that book about the Stinky Cheese?

Youngblood_YB
08-17-2004, 06:58 AM
this is the best yoda version to date. iam giving it a perfect 10.

Tonto
08-30-2004, 01:48 AM
I thought this CGI character was absolutely horrible.
When I saw AOTC in the theatre I was sitting very close and all I could see when Yoda had a close up was all of the rendering "brush strokes" all over his face.

As much of a cartoon character as Daffy Duck.