PDA

View Full Version : Mailing for sigs??

Spacehippy
07-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I have an Empire Stikes Back poster, I've been getting it signed by actors. But living in Chattanooga theres really not many big Cons, around here. I read somewhere about mailing items with $$$ for autos. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this? You know pros/cons? I found a site with addresses but I just wasn't sure about mailing my poster. Mainly for sigs like Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Carrie Fisher(just because I don't want to waste another day at the celebration if shes there,did that the last one).People who hardly do cons or shows. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WattographsGaryX
07-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Forget the Holy Trinity via mail. Ford DOES NOT sign by mail and neither does Mark Hamill. Carrie Fisher will most likely come back with a secretarial signature on it instead of the real thing. Save your stamps (and your poster) with these three.

Mark Hamill has also found the pinnacle of profitability in his signature, as he'll be $85 at San Diego Comic Con next weekend. Carrie will be there, although not quite as expensive.

Good luck on your poster! My SW:SE "Ingot" poster is up to 65 signatures on it now http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gary X

doomdeath
07-14-2004, 12:32 AM
I have an Empire Stikes Back poster, I've been getting it signed by actors. But living in Chattanooga theres really not many big Cons, around here. I read somewhere about mailing items with $$$ for autos. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this? You know pros/cons? I found a site with addresses but I just wasn't sure about mailing my poster. Mainly for sigs like Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Carrie Fisher(just because I don't want to waste another day at the celebration if shes there,did that the last one).People who hardly do cons or shows. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

it works for me you may not get the big names on it but try with the other actors like jeremy bulloch/michal carter/frank oz(a great signer) the list goes on and on thats what i do... cause to me a sw actor is a sw actor maybe not a well known person but just as famous to sw fans...robert a.k.a. doomdeath

WattographsGaryX
07-14-2004, 11:55 AM
frank oz(a great signer)

There's been some debate the past few years as to whether or not through-the-mail signatures from Oz are secretarial or legit.

If you're going to get a poster signed, you want to be absolutely certain that you're going to get a authentic signature versus a secretarial. I've seen SEVERAL multi-signature Star Wars posters RUINED because they added Hal Wamsley, who claimed to be a Jawa (but has no proof whatsoever).

While there is a LARGE number of people from the Star Wars films who will sign, all it takes is one "debatable" signature to ruin a signed piece.

My best advice for anyone who is working on a multi-sig piece is to network with other knowledgeable collectors (and even some :: gasp :: legitimate dealers) for help in getting authentic signatures from conventions or appearances. And, be patient. It is going to take a LOT of time (and money, too) to put a multi-signature piece together.

My poster with 65 on it has been in the works for four years now -- but, I also travel a lot and have a large network of friends who've helped me add signatures to it. My Episode I poster only has ten signatures on it and my E2 poster has eight now...they are long-term projects!

No matter what your choice in multi-sig pieces, GOOD LUCK and make sure you get as knowledgeable about signing habits of the celebs as possible!

Gary X

Dustin
07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Hal Wamsley is a fraud.

Spacehippy
07-14-2004, 08:48 PM
So far I've got Bulloch, Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, the man who played Admiral Ozzel, & Prowse. I figured it was to good to be true on Ford. I'd heard Hamill is nearly impossible to get, most cons I've heard he won't sign(star wars items) if he's there for one of his cartoons or comics.

WattographsGaryX
07-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I figured it was to good to be true on Ford. I'd heard Hamill is nearly impossible to get, most cons I've heard he won't sign(star wars items) if he's there for one of his cartoons or comics.

It is nearly impossible. Even the uber-collectors have problems with him IN PERSON ocassionally.

Hamill has done one con (New York) where he charged, if I remember, $100 to sign SW stuff.

He'll be $85 at Comic Con in San Diego next weekend. As long as fans line up to pay it, you can expect prices to gain a little all around http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gary X

Spacehippy
07-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Hard to believe he'll charge nearly $100 to fans who got him where he is today. To me unlike Ford who is still making good movies; Hamill hasn't done much of anything else except cameos and toon voices. But hey thats a whole new thread.