PDA

View Full Version : E3 and Sour Grapes

bjlevine
05-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Okay, I'm curious...

How many people out there want E3 to be awesome, just to stick it to us OT protagonists? I.E. - E3 will justify the PT?

grandpa_yoda
05-10-2004, 07:32 PM
i loved the ot but episode must be awesome other wise it will leave a bad taste in our mouths

GNT
05-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I know it's going to be a great film if not the greatest of the Saga but if it was really awesome (which I'm sure it'll be) it would be nice to rub it in the face of people who hate the PT http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Durron42
05-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I too think it's gonna be a great film, but I'm a bigger fan of the OT and Ep.3 needs to be pretty rad to make up for 2 movies of lame plots and dry dialogue.

Neal
05-10-2004, 09:54 PM
I hope the movie is amazing, and it has nothing to do with "rubbing it" in anyone's face. I admit that TPM is my least-favorite of the five SW films, but I really loved AOTC. I want Episode III to be great because it's the last SW movie. We won't be getting another one (most likely), so we might as well go out in style.

Dressel_Rebel
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I hope the movie is amazing, and it has nothing to do with "rubbing it" in anyone's face. I admit that TPM is my least-favorite of the five SW films, but I really loved AOTC. I want Episode III to be great because it's the last SW movie. We won't be getting another one (most likely), so we might as well go out in style.

Darth Rayne leaves clone trooper three packs hanging on retail pegs for fun.

The_Chosen_1
05-11-2004, 01:38 AM
While I don't doubt that Episode 3 will be an awesome film (TPM and AOTC were in their own way), I hope it has what it takes to redeem the PT. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deak_Starkiller
05-11-2004, 03:46 AM
I'm hoping this one will end on a high note. ROTJ put closure on the OT, but it didn't leave me feeling as nostalgic as TESB did.

Til next report...

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
yeah, I really want a great movie, but if it's not great, I'm not going to be upset--only upset at people who want to bash the PT...

HunterIG
05-11-2004, 08:32 PM
There are damn good reasons why people bash the first two. All I can hope for is a solid movie.

blaster_E11
05-12-2004, 01:24 PM
one year to go !

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
05-12-2004, 02:55 PM
There are good reasons why people bash the first two. All I can hope for is a solid movie.

I'm just annoyed at people who can't just accept the fact that the first two movies of the PT are bad, move on, and not make such a big uproar about it. Why waste time and energy ridiculing something when it's not going to make a difference anyway? I think people are just looking for something to get mad about...

I'm not saying that there aren't good reasons for disliking the PT, just that I can't stand those people who hate it with a passion to the point that when they hear the letters "PT", they go into a flaming rage. (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the picture).

bjlevine
05-12-2004, 03:12 PM
There are good reasons why people bash the first two. All I can hope for is a solid movie.

I'm just annoyed at people who can't just accept the fact that the first two movies of the PT are bad, move on, and not make such a big uproar about it. Why waste time and energy ridiculing something when it's not going to make a difference anyway? I think people are just looking for something to get mad about...

I'm not saying that there aren't good reasons for disliking the PT, just that I can't stand those people who hate it with a passion to the point that when they hear the letters "PT", they go into a flaming rage. (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the picture).

Don't get me wrong...its not that I hate the PT, its just that I lament what could have been.

Neal
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Don't get me wrong...its not that I hate the PT, its just that I lament what could have been.

And that's why I respect your somewhat negative opinion about the PT as opposed to those who always bash it. You feel let down, and you voice that opinion. Hell, you've even tried to do something about it by writing your own version of the Prequels. It's constructive criticism, not just bad-mouthing. I don't always agree with what you say, but I enjoy reading your posts because of the way you approach them. Others who just bash away... I tend to ignore.
Keep fighting the good fight.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM

Yes, I don't have a problem with that...just these people (I can't exactly think of particulars) that hate it so much that now they hate anything to do with it and anything that even relates to or gives them an inkling of it. Whatever. I'm just hoping for a good EIII so that these people will shuddup.

bjlevine
05-12-2004, 03:52 PM

And that's why I respect your somewhat negative opinion about the PT as opposed to those who always bash it. You feel let down, and you voice that opinion. Hell, you've even tried to do something about it by writing your own version of the Prequels. It's constructive criticism, not just bad-mouthing. I don't always agree with what you say, but I enjoy reading your posts because of the way you approach them. Others who just bash away... I tend to ignore.
Keep fighting the good fight.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FWIW, I will be there on opening night of E3, eagerly watching, and I sincerly hope that GL surprises me. I do wish that Vader had a larger role than he appears to have.

Neal
05-12-2004, 09:20 PM
FWIW, I will be there on opening night of E3, eagerly watching, and I sincerly hope that GL surprises me. I do wish that Vader had a larger role than he appears to have.

I totally agree with you there. Extra Vader in Episode III would definitely NOT hurt my feelings.

HunterIG
05-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Unless he has terrible dialogue like in II.

Neal
05-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Unless he has terrible dialogue like in II.

I don't know... I think James Earl Jones could make even the worst dialogue sound great.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bjlevine
05-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Well, in my alternate vision of the PT, Obi-Wan and Anakin fight and Obi-Wan apparently kills Anakin (guilt-ridden Obi-Wan leaves the Jedi). Later, a new mysterious Sith Warrior shows up (Vader), off'ing Jedi left and right, leading the new Empire to power. Its not discovered until the very end that he is, in fact, Anakin (also that he is being kept alive by the Darkside).

While I certainly didn't expect all of that in E3, I did expect to see Vader, in black, leading the charge against the Jedi, and I'm pretty disappointed that we're apparently not going to get this.

Herbert_Ackermans
05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't know. I still really really miss that OT feeling, the craft like Ties, X-Wings, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs and all that.

And I really miss the good story of the OT. Anything the PT offers outside the Obi-Wan and Anakin story is just redundant.

The whole point of the PT is Anakin's rise and fall. Everyhting beyond that is rubbish.

And I think GL never had any clue when he coined the term "Clone Wars" for ANH back in '77. And now he turned it into this... this meagre simplistic war with what essentially are Stormtroopers with a twist. That was one major letdown.

I thought the Clonewar was something epic, something that shattered the Republic in it's foundations and brought it down, the Empire rising from it's ashes.

This whole political wheeling and dealing... that's so far remote from SW.

The only political thing in the OT was when Tarking told the Imperial Senate was disbanded.

I personally don't care one bit for this Republic. AFAI see it, they had it coming, those bloated corrupted senators. But we never see why we should really feel bad for the Republic. We don't see people suffering. It's not a civil war as I expected the Clone Wars to be.

It's as if the PT is a mandatory exercise for GL, and he really didn't like to do it at all, and to make it worth while for him, he went overboard with CGI.

The story is so awkward, the characters thin, the dialogue horrid, you have to think that, after 15 years and the advances in cinematography, is that the best they could do?

So my hopes for Ep-3... slim. But I will be there on the first showing here.

But I will really feel cheated when there's just 5 minutes of Vader, when we only see a Star Destroyer in those 5 minutes, if we are not going to see any Tie or X- or Y-Wing.

Because, face it, that is still what SW is about. Visually. SW is those OT ships. I remember going Ga-Ga when I saw the first moving pictures of the AT-TE in the AOTC trailer, because that harked back to the beloved AT-AT. Sadly, the AT-TE was just filler... not the menacing machine the AT-AT is and always will be in TESB. Heck, the Scoutwalker has better screen-presence.