PDA

View Full Version : Canada Post Stirke??

Jedij
06-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Canada Post maybe going on strike so any of you that buying or selling may want to check into this. I hope it doesn' happen but it is a possiblity.

Stirke (http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/corporate/about/newsroom/negotiations/cupw_2003-e.asp)

Southern_Ontario
06-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh Jesus! This would suck really bad most of us have given up on collecting from retail, and rely souly on the web to shop. I still shop at retail but its tough. I'm about to get some stuff off the modern classifieds as we speak. I don't understand why they are going on strike postal workers already make good money. It already costs a fortune for shipping and now they want more. We won't be able to afford it. Oh Jesus!!!

CanadianCollectR
06-22-2003, 06:16 PM
I do some work with a Toronto based mailing house. The owner there is 90% sure that there will be a strike based on his contacts within Canada Post.

Already you may have noticed a slowdown in parcel and letterpost delivery, as well as delivery later in the day.

I hope that they can resolve this situation amicably without a strike.

-Mike
www.womprat.com (http://www.womprat.com)

toyguy
06-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Awww...Man!! I have at least 3 packages enroute to me. When will the postal guys vote on the strike?

I thought the P.O. strikes during Christmas, isn't this teachers' strike season?

06-27-2003, 05:06 PM
July 7th is the tentative day for walkout/ lock out.

Note: Summertime is the PO's slowest time of year, mail always declines. Just many don't actually notice it till a stoppage is announced.

Could be a lengthy one.......2-3 months from what i've heard at work..........i'm stressed!

Shane Turgeon
06-27-2003, 10:41 PM
So, if on July 7th the strike does go through, is the company (Canada Post) planning on hiring scab workers to make sure things don't grind to a stand still or should those of us expecting packages expect them to "disappear" until this gets settled?

06-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Scab Employees are prolly the worst thing that could happen.

in 1989, many scab employees' were harrassed, so mail was actually lost.

Best bet is to gripe, and wait for the solution. all mail doesn't go missing, it usually sits in the Border/ airport Hubs for Mail till resolved.

Have to remember, 75K employess, and only a 30% actually want to walk (usually the financially secure senior people), so don't take it out on the guy coming to the front door we have little or no say what happens.....which bites!

masterjay
06-28-2003, 11:41 PM
I highly doubt the strike will go 2-3 months. Government won't let it happen.

-masterjay.

Originally posted by themailman:
July 7th is the tentative day for walkout/ lock out.

Note: Summertime is the PO's slowest time of year, mail always declines. Just many don't actually notice it till a stoppage is announced.

Could be a lengthy one.......2-3 months from what i've heard at work..........i'm stressed! <font size="2" face="arial">

06-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Government have no desire to order us back during the slow part of the year for mail delievery. The parliament have gone

toyguy
07-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks to "themailman" and everyone who continued this discussion. I was really hoping this issue will be resolved. If the strikes startes next week than I'll hold off bidding on ebay for a while. Shucks, still got a couple more packages in the system.

Hey themailman, if you don't mind, can you please chime in once in a while as things progress?? Its a tough hobby, and the postal system is a very much a part of this hobby for me (and maybe for most of us).

07-02-2003, 03:15 PM
What i've noticed at work is......Management have stated the corporation won't rush any employees back during the summer months, as it's the slow part of the year for mail delievery.....Always picks up the day kids start back at school.

Union seem to want to hammer a deal out, but a VERY important issue......Benefits and severance is a stumbling block. we pay $1500 a year for 25 years for a 'golden handshake' when we retire.....can be as much as $150,000 depending on the market......i don't want to loose that.

apart from those 2, the rest is pidly stuff i don't care about.

The 2 sides are 'talking hard' is what i hear. So that's good news.

I also have parcels arriving from around the world for this addictive hobby.....i'm hoping they don't stall and sit in Hamilton airport!

toyguy
07-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Hey, thanks for the update themailman! Its really good news that the two sides are talking. I hope for everyone's benefit that an 11th hour agreement can be reached.

Just in case, I've already asked a seller to hold off on shipping yesterday. The latest parcel from U.S. that got out to me was on Monday afternoon, do you think it'll make it to the Markham area by this Friday? I guess Monday is a write-off unless things work out?

07-03-2003, 02:52 PM
I just recieved my case if 12" Gamorrean Guards from Minnesota........took 3 working days, and NO customs.

I think you're safe for the foreseeable future.

If in doubt http://www.cupw.ca is the union website, you know the CPC one (i hope).

toyguy
07-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Hi TMM,

thanks for the link. I just checked it out Saturday night, but the last update was July 3rd. Has there been a decision since in regards to the strike? Or are the talks going to continue right up until Monday? If the strike goes forth, will there be mail on Monday or is this the last working day?

I had 2 packages in the pipeline, I was lucky enough to receive one on Friday. I was also hoping the other package will slip through before the strike. Even better of course, is if the contract goes through and there is no strike.

07-06-2003, 08:51 AM
The whole thing is really erking me personnally, now that stores here have new SW stuff (Han Hoth wave) i can't exactly go rush out and buy.....have to have that 2 months salary to suvive.

It should've been decided months ago.......either way.

Nothing new, just propaganda at work, nothing more than what the CUPW site says.

07-07-2003, 02:47 PM
7th July was the day all the 'big' mass mailers (mainly Bills like phone gas etc.) were rumoured to have been told to get mail out by.

Today was a Christmas mail volume like day, had 1000's of GST and direct deposit letters....weeks ahead of schedule...doesn't mean anything really. Just makes those of us that don't want a strike to whine more.

Just act like nothing's happening, we have till august 15th before a re-vote.

toyguy
07-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Hi TMM,

you mentioned earlier that July 7th might be the "walkout/lock out" day. But the Canada Post Website says negotiations are still going on, this article is posted on the 7th. Are talks going to continue for a while still?? If this is the case, I might as well get my seller to send my last package today.

BTW, thanks for all your prompt replies on this issue. Really appreciate the addtional info.

toyguy.

toyguy
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
That's cool TMM. At least we have till August. BTW I did receive 2 of 3 packages I had in the pipeline when this thread was started, so I guess things are not moving too badly.

Thanks again for all the insider info.

toyguy

morgbug
07-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Indeed, thanks for the updates TMM images/icons/smile.gif

07-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Not a good rumour today (thursday 10-7-2003)

Was told to watch the 6pm eveing news (EST) for announcement that CUPW has given CPC it's 72 hrs.

Which means, if within that time frame a CBA hasn't been carved out, a strike will occur.

So, monday PM time is the deadline now. Sorry, wish i had better news......not good for me financially.......3rd strike i'm going to go thru since 1989:(

Jedij
07-10-2003, 02:37 PM
I have received everything I was waiting for.

Thanks for the update.

CanadianCollectR
07-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Well,

I received my last package I was expecting today. Many thanks and kudos especially to Jeff @ Kool Stuff Toys. I bought some vintage from him last Friday, and received it on Tuesday. If there is a strike, I suppose I'll be driving out to the GTA stores. images/icons/wink.gif Darn 2.5 hour round trip to Hamilton!

Thanks for keeping us in the know MailMan!

-Mike
www.womprat.com (http://www.womprat.com)

[ 07-10-2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: CanadianCollector ]

Shane Turgeon
07-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Man, i'm still waiting on at least two packages, possibly three. Well, at least it's not anything high end so i won't be too put out if it gets delayed. images/icons/wink.gif Mailman, thanks for all the info...

toyguy
07-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks again for the warning TMM. I finally got my last package today (3 POTF2 figs). So I guess its not a good idea to order online or bid on ebay for a little while. Too bad images/icons/frown.gif

07-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Friday morning (today) it will be announced:

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) gave notice yesterday to the Minister of Labour and to Canada Post that the union has set a strike deadline for Friday, July 18, 2003 at 12:01 a.m.. The union and the corporation are at an impasse in bargaining on several key issues.

This was from www.cupw.ca (http://www.cupw.ca)

How kind of them to strike just after we get paid!

Southern_Ontario
07-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Thanks a lot for keeping us posted on the situation. Shipping is a very important aspect to collecting in Canada.

Dooku
07-12-2003, 04:52 PM
What's going on? Every time I read this thread the strike date keeps getting moved back and back. Will it get pushed back again do you think?

07-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Now, The media have been informed, it's either carve a CBA out, or find no mail friday, or, for the forseeable future.

Before, i was giving dates as i hear them at work. Whenever there is zero TV/ newspaper report, dates can and will be moved. When the Labour Minister has been given the 72 hr notice, it's final. Last straw has been drawn......for me it's wait and see if i'll be working friday.

DSJ_
07-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Mailman, hope it all works out & that you do go to work on Friday.
Thanks for all the info. All we & you can do is wait.

Dooku
07-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks for clearing that up mailman. Do or die Friday it looks like. I have 2 packages that I am waiting for and I hope they come in before then. Nonetheless I hope for your sake a strike can be avoided. And for me, I want to buy figs!!!

DSJ_
07-23-2003, 07:37 AM
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/djustus/smilie_mail2.gif

Whooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo! images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/cool.gif

07-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Seems today (sunday 27th July) Cupw and CPC have agreed a CBA.

So all that needs to happen is a ratification vote.

NO STRIKE........or at least that's what it looks like images/icons/grin.gif

toyguy
07-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I think congratulations is in order to TMM, and to the rest of us that rely on the mail services to further the hobby.