PDA

View Full Version : Canadian cards on e-bay

wee_sid
05-09-2003, 06:36 PM
I don't know if it's just me but there seems to be a lot of Canadian carded figures starting to sell on e-bay .Can anyone enlighten me on this ?
Are they worth less than Trilogo or American carded figures ?
cheers
wee sid

Jeremy
05-10-2003, 04:54 AM
I bet a Canadaian collector could answer this, so I'm moving it to the Canada (http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=45) pages.

Jeremy

CanadianCollectR
05-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi Sid,

My personal take on the situation is this: for years Canadian Cards were just lumped in with U.S. cards as the only difference was the billingual text. If anything the only Canadian Cards to have historically commanded a premium would have been the 12 back Guerre Des Etoiles, and the Vaccuformed. A fair number of collectors would turn their noses up at the Canadian Cards, because of the "clutter" with the two languages.

Nowadays with renewed interest in foreign aspects of Star Wars collecting, collectors are beginning to expand their breadth of their collections and are actively seeking out non-U.S. releases. As to value, I would say that they remain at par for the most part with their U.S. counterpart.

Anyone else want to chime in? images/icons/grin.gif

-Mike
www.womprat.com (http://www.womprat.com) <-- Canadian Content

Shane Turgeon
05-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Assuming we're talking about vintage, i'd say you pretty much nailed it Mike. There are a few other idiosyncracies to the Candian releases as well such as the ROTJ Paploo and Lumat figures as well as a Nein Nunb on a Nein Nunb offer card that tend to command slightly higher prices. On average Canadian cards are rarer than their US counterparts having been produced at about 15% of the US production numbers but still, there are only a few pieces that have prices that show a major difference and we've pretty much covered them here.

Now, if we're not talking about vintage, i have no idea what to tell ya. images/icons/wink.gif

wee_sid
05-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi y'all , thanks for the replies , I live in Scotland and I had managed to purchase a few potf2 Canadian figures on e-bay , they seemed to be selling for less than the other figures but to be honest I really like them , especially the ones with the leaflet inside the bubble (Ev9d9), I was just curious as to why they had been popping up quite regularly over here , I wondered if the market had been over stocked in Canada and this was some kind of overspill
kind regards
wee sid
images/icons/smile.gif

Dooku
05-11-2003, 08:05 PM
The trilogo figures are worth less than the U.S. ones.

Shane Turgeon
05-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Sid, it's tough to say exactly why they're turning up with more frequency over there but i do know that the toy buyers for the major chains over here such as TRU and Wal-Mart aren't generally the most intelligent people when it comes to the actual toy market and this could be a factor.

I worked at TRU from 1995 until 2001 and there were a number of waves of POTF2 that either weren't released at all or were released in very limited quantities. It's very possible that Hasbro did in fact have these waves packaged and ready for distribution to the Canadian market but the buyers simply didn't jump on the product and thereby Hasbro needed an outlet.

Again, this is speculation on my part but there have been a few instances where Canadian packaged items turned up as clearance items months after they should have been released initially.

05-20-2003, 08:01 PM
That's what gets me, usually entire waves get skipped in Canada...