PDA

View Full Version : Canadian/Trilogo POTF2 R2 w/holo Leia

Jim_Mc_Callum
04-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Uhhhh hello...my Star Wars includes trilogo figures that have $1.39 price stickers and my POTF figures include coins not chips. Can we have a mod intercept this thread and move it to the forum where it belongs...damn, this WAS posted by a mod. images/icons/smile.gif

Jim

DSJ_
04-21-2003, 01:37 PM
I never seen one up here in the stores. images/icons/frown.gif I only got the US version off ebay. I guess they were sparse like the Darth Vader Dagobah w/Sticker.
I'm still looking though & thats for both. images/icons/wink.gif

Membraneman
04-21-2003, 02:18 PM
I was lucky enough to find a few of them when they were released here. What got me was when I found 2 R2's at the Wal-Mart in Sherwood Park I also bought 26 CTC Stormies and there were still about 50 there when I left... images/icons/tongue.gif

[ 04-21-2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Membraneman ]

Southern_Ontario
04-21-2003, 03:01 PM
I got one when wal mart was clearing out there episode 1 junk all there figs were 2 bucks each I loaded up on all the figs I didn't have. I saw the R2 fig on the the shelf and belive it or not I was going to leave it there untill some guy came up to me and said you might want to grab one of those R2's there rare. Unfortunatly I opened it because I didn't now the true value of the fig. On that day I also found an interesting version of the stormtrooper (dark green package) mine does not have a blast damage marking anywhere. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this with there stormtrooper?

Shane Turgeon
04-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Quick question folks...how many of you Canadian collectors were lucky enough to be able to find one of these bad boys when they came out?

http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_toys/CdnR2wLeia.jpg

This version is actually different than the International Tri-logo versions of this figure and seems to be limited to Canada. For those of you who don't know the story, this is the write-up i did on it for my site:

"Most American collectors dismiss Canadian(Cdn) packaged figures without truly understanding them or the plight their Cdn collecting brethren have suffered over the past few years. Cdn collectors have been plagued with the fact that many of the figures that were all but common in the US were not even released here at all. The last wave of POTF Commtech figures was one of those waves thought to be lost to the annals of Amerciana but almost a year after it's release Stateside, this wave was released at many Cdn Wal-Marts in Cdn packaging. Now, there are 196 Wal-Marts in Canada and a conservative estimate would allow for say, 20 of these particular figures to be released per store putting the total release somehwere around 4000 units, certainly not very many. However, i know for certain that not all stores recieved this wave of figures and that the ones that did were lucky to receive even 10 of them thereby making the numbers significantly lower."

Personally, i'd be willing to say that there are less than 2500 of these floating around. Now, i'm pretty much strictly a vintage collector but this is one new skool piece that i think deserves a bit of attention.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Boba_Fish
04-22-2003, 08:27 AM
I managed to intercept 3 cases of that wave before they were put on the pegs back in the day. Unfortunately there was another collector there, so I had some competition. Luckily, there were 5 cases in total on the cart, and he didn't know the case number they were in and I did... I got 2 of them images/icons/wink.gif

toyguy
04-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I'm mainly an Action Fleet collector although I do have a modest figures collection, so please excuse my ignorance. I heard about this R2 figure before and it seem to have generated much demand and discussion. What I don't get is what the heck is the big deal about this figure? Is it because Hasbro made like only 100 for all of North America?

I mean, I'm pretty happy with my booster jet R2 and electronic beeping R2 that came afterwards. So what's one more or less R2?

Again, I already disclaimed that I'm not a 'serious' action fig collector, but still I wonder why the heated discussions? Thanks,

toyguy

Shane Turgeon
04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
I think that the initial hype came from the fact that originally, it was released in very small quantities in the US. A few months later tho they started turning up everywhere down there and it really became just another run of the mill figure.

This Canadian figure isn't really related to the US story or version at all. Here, this particular commtech wave was released in very limited quantities almost a year after it came out in the US, only at wal-marts and with a whopping $2 price tag. They were 1 per case if i remember right and not every case had them nor did all the stores carry them. The package differes between it and the other Intl Tri-logo card and of course it's different from the US version too.

Not a bad recount for a vintage collector hey? ;)I'm sure Jim will try to have my Vintage Club Card removed for knowing so much about this but hey, i worked at TRU for 5 years, i had to follow this "stuff" a little bit! images/icons/wink.gif

BTW toyguy...i've got some Action Fleet stuff for sale...drop me a line if you're interested.

toyguy
04-24-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks Tatoo Shane for the explaination. Guess I didn't know there were that many versions of R2 with Holo Leia. For 2 bucks a pop, no wonder so many people are interested in getting one.

As for Action Fleet, since I am a serious collector there, I've got multiples of most of the common ships and playsets from OT and TPM. I'm missing:
SW
- E-Wing, Tie Defender (who isn't)
- Virago
- R/C Fambaa
- Series Alpha Droid Fighter
- Any Battle Pack that includes a Ronto
Non SW
- Aliens: Drop Ship
- Predator: Mother ship
- Starshiptroopers: everything, but I'm mostly interested in ships.

I know most of these are pretty hard to find, but if you happen to have any and if the price is right, let's talk some more...

toyguy

toyguy
04-24-2003, 12:30 AM
BTW Tatoo Shane, I wouldn't mind if you have loose items. Since I'm an 'opener', I like to display my AF's. So as long as its in good shape and complete, I'm interested.

Thanks,

toyguy (ewjedi@hotmail.com)