PDA

View Full Version : C III location? (without the flames)

Redphive5
05-16-2002, 03:50 PM
I may have missed it amid the barrage of flames, but has there been an anouncement regarding the location of Celebration III?

If we are still speculating, are there any online posts that give clues?

BigDumbWookiee
05-16-2002, 04:00 PM
While there have been no "official" statements on behalf of WOTC; all signs point to a return to Indy.

Bounty_Hunter_XP
06-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Indy's a good spot.

But Columbus or Cincinnati OH would be better. (Closer to me, that is.)

06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
I vote the Baltimore Convention Center. Huge, gorgeous.....and oh yeah, in my state images/icons/smile.gif

Red05Rogue
06-13-2002, 02:09 PM
I WILL GO ANYWHERE

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/fireballzer0/lst?.dir=/indy+celebration&.src=ph&.view=

..uummm and that's my story of my trip to indy.

Paploo
06-13-2002, 09:08 PM
why do people dress up like characters in the movie. i dont get that

Redphive5
06-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Paploo! LOL

Is yours a dry wit, or shall we explain the merits of role play? images/icons/wink.gif

captmiloman
06-14-2002, 08:55 AM
How about Seattle? Just an hour ferry ride for me. Oh wait, too many scalpers in the Emerald City. Nevermind.

06-14-2002, 10:19 AM
If you ask me Dallas would be an ideal spot. Its a great city and similar to indianapolis it is pretty central for most people. Or at least thats what I wish.

bobafett14
06-14-2002, 09:10 PM
Pittsburgh's new covention center(although I'm a little biased)

wuher_da_brewer
06-15-2002, 02:24 AM
I'm with you Ackbar, if it were in Dallas, I wouldn't need $200 for airfare and $200 for hotel. I'd have more money to spend. We have a much better airport than Indianapolis, lower priced hotel accomodations, and more to do outside the convention center.

06-15-2002, 01:15 PM
I hope it's in Indy again, I really liked it there, and plan on making it a longer vacation this time...plus it's within driving distance of over 2/3s the continental US, which is a major plus, and isn't WOTC making Indy their new headquarters ?

BigDumbWookiee
06-15-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by grandmoffschizz:
I hope it's in Indy again, I really liked it there, and plan on making it a longer vacation this time...plus it's within driving distance of over 2/3s the continental US, which is a major plus, and isn't WOTC making Indy their new headquarters ?<font size="2" face="arial">I agree, while I am bias, Indy is the only city in the US that is this close to so much of the population. Indy's a great place to visit and live!

WOTC won't be making their headquarters in Indy. Unless they just dont want the prying public to know about it. I emailed them asking, and they were very adamant about staying in Washington. I had a friend from the Indy Star call and ask, same answer. Who knows, its always possible! When companies make big moves like that, they usually like to keep it from their stockholders as long as possible......

And while I agree Dallas is a fantastic city, it is quite a lot farther from the big cities of Chicago and New York, and the entire eastern seaboard as compared to Indy. You can call me bias, but if they announced tomorrow they would be holding the con in Dallas, I'd have no doubts about going!

[ 06-15-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: BigDumbWookiee ]

Dack_Ralter_Rules
06-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Personally I think it should be Kansas City. That is a NICE CENTRAL location for everyone. It would be held iduno somewhere and its NICE AND CENTRAL.

Redphive5
06-15-2002, 06:36 PM
I don’t know if WOTC is moving its headquarters. I’ve heard a lot about them moving GenCon to Indy though. Word is that 2002 will be the final year for the Milwaukee, Wisconsin GenCon. Starting in 2003, it will be in Indianapolis (at the Convention Center). My sources are mostly conversations with other fans and comic shop aficionados in Indianapolis. Take it however you like…

I did find an article about the sale of GenCon. I think it makes sense that a move could accompany a sale.

The closest thing I found about GenCon is an article called :
Wizards Of The Coast Agrees To Sell GenCon Game Fair To Roleplaying Games Industry Pioneer Peter Adkison

Here’s the link:
http://www.wizards.com/News/pressrelease.asp?20020321a

Still waiting on news about Celebration III.

BigDumbWookiee
06-15-2002, 08:37 PM
If WOTC came out tomorrow and said that they would be making their desicion souley and 100% on geography alone, I'd almost guarantee it would return to Indianapolis. It is THE only city that is within a days drive of 2/3 of the population of the US, and while other cities have fantastic facilities, etc, based on geography alone the natural choice would be Indy. But since they don't base it only on that, it could be anywhere, and we can only guess for the next few years!

Redphive are you from Indy? Thats some cool infor about GenCon. Anything about other WOTC conventions coming to Indy?

06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Atlanta. images/icons/grin.gif Not only is it a nice city it's close to me!Another one in Indy would be nice but I have heard rumors on Tampa.But,I don't think it will be.

06-17-2002, 01:22 AM
I hope it's in Indy again, I really liked it there, and plan on making it a longer vacation this time...plus it's within driving distance of over 2/3s the continental US, which is a major plus, and isn't WOTC making Indy their new headquarters ?<font size="2" face="arial">Well the buzz from friends around and ones that get inside information, they are thinking of coming back to Indy. Because of the driving distance for most of the Continental US and it was a better place than where Celebration 1 was held. The only thing different I heard was needing a bigger space for everything...

ChrisGeorgoulias
06-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Well the buzz from friends around and ones that get inside information, they are thinking of coming back to Indy. Because of the driving distance for most of the Continental US and it was a better place than where Celebration 1 was held. The only thing different I heard was needing a bigger space for everything...<font size="2" face="arial">I heard Wizards just signed some 8 year contract to do GenCon in Indianapolis. That may influence SW Celebration, but either way the fact that so many people are within driving distance will probably mean Indy again.

As far as space goes, they didn't have the whole convention center rented out. Seems like there's plenty of room in that one building.

-chris

Redphive5
06-19-2002, 02:02 PM
The main exhibit hall (where the autographs, dealers, and "museum" were located) is actually bigger than what was open for CII. I've heard some say that we only saw 1/4 of the total exhibit hall sapce. There were other rooms that were not open for CII as well. I don't think space would be a problem, but if CIII is as much bigger than CII as CII was bigger than CI, who knows? (hope that makes sense)

Yes, BigDumbWookiee, I am from Indy. I would love to see the return to Indy, but will travel to another city if necessary. I probably wouldn't have gone to CII if it weren't in Indy, but now I am inspired to travel for CIII if it's not in Indianapolis.

[ 06-19-2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Redphive5 ]

Tyler_Pugmire
06-23-2002, 09:56 PM
I really don't care where they have it as long as there are mountains. Indy drove me bonkers! I didn't even know which way was up. I had to go buy a damn compass. I guess I'm just used to living in the shadow of the rockies, huh?
images/icons/grin.gif
-Ty-

Ook
06-24-2002, 12:11 AM
Take a look here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6821361&replies=70

BigDumbWookiee
06-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by vadersfist:
Take a look here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6821361&replies=70<font size="2" face="arial">Please note, while my tone my sound a bit flamish, I mean everything in a sincere way, and Im not out to get anyone, or flame anyone.

Broken record time for me:

I have a hard time understanding peoples arguments that Indy is a bad location to hold C3, based on geography alone (not taking into hand other possible circumstances).

Now I understand, that regardless of where it is, people are going to complain. Unless they hold Celebration III in the backyards of every star wars fan in the world, people will complain.

Now, I wont get into the whole facilities argument, or anything else, but it just bugs me that people are complaining about Indiananapolis not being the best place to hold it, geographically speaking.

Indiana isn't called the crossroads of America for nothing! The facts are:
Indianapolis is a days drive from approximately 2/3 the population of the US.
Indianapolis has the most interstates bisecting it.
For those two reasons alone, Indianapolis is geographically a better choice than 99% of the rest of the cities in the US. Mind you, that is only geographically speaking.

Im not defending Indy because Im from there, Im defending the fact that it is indeed the most geographically accessible city in the US. If they announced tomorrow that C3 was in San Diego, I would go. Heck, if they announced it was in London, Id go! I don't care in the least bit where it is, its what they have to offer that matters to me.

And to breach the other arguments: Like it was mentioned above, the convention center has a LOT more room than was used for C2. While I cant give an exact square footage of extra space, I can say there are at least two other large exhibit halls, and many other rooms and ballrooms. Also look at the fact that, no matter how big a place is, if you dont use the space well, it still wont work. My two issues: the book giveaway and the computer section. Both of these too an enormous amount of room, and each of them could have been placed in smaller halls or ballrooms.

I guess my point boils down to one simple idea: Blame Indy all you want, but 90% of the problems arose from bad planning on WOTC's part, and not because of the convention center, or Indy itself.

Jedi_Turok
06-24-2002, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with BigDumbWookie . I had a great time at C2. Yes the lines were long but when you advertise a sw convention for many months before the actual convention you are going to get a lot of people.

Location was fine by me....a straight shoot up 65 and your there!

Of course I would like for C3 to be in Louisville but I think overall Indy got positive feedback from all that attented.

Hotels were right by the convention...no major walks.....thats a big plus for me....especially if you dress up.

I can't speak about the airport for those of you who flew in ...

I like the idea of opening up the colts stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies.... images/icons/wink.gif

Trewi_Alcha
06-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Like all of you, I will go to C3 no matter where it is. But, I think it would probably be best if it were in San Francisco, CA. The closer it is to Skywalker Ranch, the better. Its also close to Hollywood, so many more stars would stop by.

Nayr_Treppel
07-11-2002, 11:28 AM
dallas would be great

07-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Trewi Alcha:
Like all of you, I will go to C3 no matter where it is. But, I think it would probably be best if it were in San Francisco, CA. The closer it is to Skywalker Ranch, the better. Its also close to Hollywood, so many more stars would stop by.<font size="2" face="arial">SF is a very difficult place to book conventions. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the city isn't booked up for other stuff for the next 10 years already. Plus the hotel prices are outrageous. While I would love to go to SF, I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to book it there in such a short amount of time.

07-13-2002, 04:54 PM
The only real reason that Indy was chosen is because it is a new convention center that was not booked in advance. Every other convention center is already booked for the next 5-10 years.

BigDumbWookiee
07-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Jon Peck:
The only real reason that Indy was chosen is because it is a new convention center that was not booked in advance. Every other convention center is already booked for the next 5-10 years.<font size="2" face="arial">The Indianapolis Convention Center is not new.... They added a portion, but its definately not new. And it was chosen because of its location as well.

07-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Did someone say maybe Tampa? Tampa, Florida? That would be nice.

JediRiff
07-25-2002, 02:01 PM
I am hoping they continue the trend of moving across the USA. Started in Colorado (west coast), then to Indy(midwestish), so I am hoping this next one will be somewhere on the East Coast.

Ed3
07-26-2002, 02:56 PM
...with Celebration IV held in mid-Atlantic, 300 miles off the coast of Virginia. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

I think the trend will more likely be to keep the event in the center of the country so it's equally (in)convenient for everybody. The problem has never been drawing _more_ people but properly accomodating the tens of thousands that show up now.

GNT
07-27-2002, 05:36 AM
Let it be in a new location,lets say Sydney Australia images/icons/smile.gif

I'm sure everyone will be able to attend this time to get an exclusive ESB Hoth "RiK" Soldier figure,sold only here images/icons/smile.gif

Now you know how hard it is for us to get an exclusive figure images/icons/smile.gif

Darth_Kenobi
07-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:
Let it be in a new location,lets say Sydney Australia images/icons/smile.gif

I'm sure everyone will be able to attend this time to get an exclusive ESB Hoth "RiK" Soldier figure,sold only here images/icons/smile.gif

Now you know how hard it is for us to get an exclusive figure images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I'm there. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/wink.gif Always wanted to go to Australia somwtime in my life so C3 would be a good time to go.
Hopefully you guys over seas do get a chance to get any C3 exclusive figures and a chance for C2 Jorg Sacul figure (weather or not its in C2 Packaing).

I wish C3 would be closer to my home Ca. but it wouldn't be fair for those who live in New York or the east coast in general who would have to pay for airfair. One thing I think they should do is hold smaller celebration conventions around the nation. One in the east, one in the mid-east, one in the south,. and one in the west. That way you don't have thousands of people going to one single place and it would control the crowds a little bit more.
The only problem would be that you would have this big convention that beings everyone who likes Star Wars together in one place.

jediguy
07-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Actually I want C2 to be kind of far away (about a day) because I think part of the fun is the journey there.

JediRiff
07-31-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey, I got my scuba gear, Ed3! That will work for me! images/icons/rolleyes.gif

[ 07-30-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: JediRiff ]

Nayr_Treppel
08-06-2002, 11:02 AM
hawaii i used to live there and the convetion center was great images/icons/grin.gif

Capntarpals
08-10-2002, 08:04 PM
I had such a killer time at C2, that I'm definitely going to C3 as long as it's within the continental US/Canada.

I'd love for it to return to Indianapolis again, as it was a beautiful, easy to get to by car, city.

JediPadawan
08-12-2002, 07:07 PM
I really hope it is in NY... otherwise I won't be able to go. images/icons/frown.gif I haven't been to SW Celebrations I or II, and I really wanna make it to C3. images/icons/frown.gif images/icons/smile.gif

Dover
08-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Well, unless they do move it to Australia, I certainly won't be going (It's a nice dream though!!)
We get Magic of Myth next month images/icons/smile.gif Yay!!!

J3_M8
08-14-2002, 02:19 AM
Anaheim, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, or Las Vegas, but wherever in the US it will be, I'll be there.

08-14-2002, 08:38 AM
The one problem I found at C2 was the space. I happen to be clasterphobic, and the hallways, from moving from one place to another, was diffucult. I do know that freedom hall here in louisville's hallways are airy and WIDE! You can get from teh huge exabition halls to fredom hall without walking outside. The only drawback is, as far as I have seen, are few of the larger rooms, like Rick used for his "spectacular". which was amazing. Loved that. Seeming that this is the last "new" moive, it would be great if they could bring in everyone, from harrison ford to the stars of the newest films. Once again, just my thoughts on the subject

Zuckuss44
08-18-2002, 08:21 PM
Being that I got my permit last week(stay off the road, you New Jerseyers), I can finally drive wherever I want(of course, with New Jersey rules, not for another two years).

So, in 2005, I can drive wherever I want, as long as I got gas.

However, if I were to stay at home, I'd want it to be in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, DC, maybe something in PA, or else at least on the east coast for once.

Come on:

C1-West Coast(ok, Denver, but that's still too far over the mountains for me. And I mean the Appalachians)
C2-Middle of the US(Indianapolis, it's pretty center.)
C3-East Coast(any of the cities above would be fine, or any other East Coast places).

Now, the Celebrations keep moving east, so it's natural to end up on the East Coast. And who knows? There are enough fans, there might be a Celebration every few years for the big fans. It produces a lot of money for LucasFilm, LucasFilm Lackie Companies, and other producers, so it could be a good thing to have every few years.

They could have trading conventions, where we collectors trade figures, and various collectibles. There could be shows, washed-out actors as guests, all sorts of things good for us fans.

MisterPL
08-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Scranton, Pennsylvania. (http://www.scrantonchamber.com/scranton/Default.htm)

Philip_Wise
08-22-2002, 02:07 PM
Here are a couple things to help in the conversation. I'm aware of this due to how involved I was in C2 because of the C2 Ventures autograph program Ben Stevens and I put on.

WotC sold off the convention part of the company and no longer owns it. This actually happened prior to C2, and it was managed under contract by the new owner. The new owner, is actually the founder of WotC. Peter Adkinson, who sold WotC to Hasbro. He bought this part back. GenCon is defintely moving to Indy next year.

When the fan club and the show company were part of Wizards/Hasbro, it only made sense for Wizards to get the contract for the show. For C3, I'd guess the new company will try to get it again even though the complimentary companies aren't involved. I'd also guess they will get the contract as they are the only ones with the experience to build upon. I'd also guess that it will be in Indy again because of their selection for GenCon, because it's centrally located and because there are less unknowns about the facility now.

Philip

MisterPL
08-22-2002, 03:56 PM
So it WILL be in Scranton (http://www.scrantonchamber.com/scranton/Default.htm). Cool.

08-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Indy rocked. I love that town, I can't wait to go back.

BlueHarvest1138
08-25-2002, 04:02 PM
I went to ComicCon this year. The Convention Center in San Diego is AWESOME! Perfect for C3. Close enough to Hollywood and Skywalker Ranch! I hope its there. Only a 8 hour drive for me.

this_guy1980
09-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Bring C3 to the west coast so I can go images/icons/smile.gif

09-08-2002, 04:18 PM
St.Paul, MN! @ the excel energy center! We have the Mall of America too. Indy is the armpit of the USA! Sure downtown is nice but 4 miles outside, it is ghetto in every direction!

BigDumbWookiee
09-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Nevermind, I dont want to start anything.......

[ 09-08-2002, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: BigDumbWookiee ]

Virex
09-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Indianapolis was just a great choice in my opinion, and it was a fourteen-hour drive from here (Oklahoma City). Due to its location, it makes much more sense than many other cities. Add to that the fact that they can learn from their experience in Celebration II--what worked, what didn't, etc.--I would have no problem with CIII being held in Indianapolis again.

[ 09-12-2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Virex ]

Nayr_Treppel
09-11-2002, 07:00 PM
DALLAS

[ 09-13-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Dustin ]

bobafett14
09-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the update Phil, always appreciated. Anything new, please keep us posted.

Nayr_Treppel
09-11-2002, 07:32 PM
how many times do i have to say it

09-11-2002, 08:43 PM
I agree with Nayr it should be in Dallas

Ed3
09-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Dallas would be great for me and the Dallas Convention Center could certainly hold it but the lack of hotels nearby or on the DART line could be a problem. It would make for a short commute for some of us, anyway.

09-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Let's at least settle on San Antoinio, They have 6 Flags, River Walk and cultural/historical sites. I say It goes to Orlando or San Diego.

[ 09-12-2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: CorkboardHotWater ]

Nayr_Treppel
09-12-2002, 09:37 PM
i still think dallas is better

krsb09
09-13-2002, 12:13 AM
I thought Indy was fantastic for a location. Yes, it was crowded, and yes, they should have utilized all the space they had available, but the hotel locations were perfect, there were plenty of places to eat/drink, and Indy is a relatively safe city to be in. The fact that it's only a couple hours away from me helps of course as well. images/icons/grin.gif

09-13-2002, 12:42 AM
Indy's cool with me. I like the city, and the hotels and all that jazz were alright with me.

JoshEEE
09-13-2002, 01:57 PM
All I'm saying is Wizards of the Coast has headquarters in Seattle...

Seattle has a brand new convention center.

It's just as big as Indy....

DAMN that would be sweet!

09-14-2002, 09:38 AM
For those of you who say, "let's have it in &lt;insert cit name&gt;", could you please give adequate reasons? Some of these posts sound like people just giving their hometown name without considering whether they have a convention center that is centrally located, with plenty of restaurant and hotel space located in walking distance.

I personally liked Indy, and would have no problem having it there. I flew in, and I didn't have to get a rental car because all the hotels were within walking distance of the convention center. In addition, in the evening there were tons of great places to eat, again all within walking distance. It was also nice to have a movie theater and mall right there too.

I live in KC, and I would never suggest to this group to have it here, because the convention center is smaller and there are no hotels or restaurants within walking distance of it.

09-25-2002, 02:23 PM
I think they should have it in Atlanta. I know it is not centerally located, but anyone that has gone to DragonCon knows that there is plenty of room for anything and everything that Celebration has to offer. They could split the convention between the Hyatt and Marriot and the guests also (Hyatt 24 floors, Marriot 41 floors, plus more hotels in that area). The local SW Fan clubs are very active (Hothlanta Rebels and the GA Garrison of the 501st). I may be partial to Atlanta because I live just south of there but it should seriously be considered.

TK-614 - OUT!

09-26-2002, 05:26 PM
I know everyone wants C3 to be in there backyard, but thats not going to happen. Like it or not (I have no problem with it) it will be held in Indiana. Since every other major convention center is booked for the next 5 to 10 years, Indy is the only possible location.

jedihunter45
09-29-2002, 04:42 PM
i wish c3 was in vegas. all we ever get is star trek cons it gets me mad images/icons/mad.gif vegas sin and star wars what else do you need:D

JoshEEE
09-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I said it in another thread, but I'll say it here. If it has to be somewhere that's NOT in your backyard...shouldn't we all agree on Vegas?

Oh MAN. That would be so fun. SO much to do when the convention isn't happening....so many hotels in a close radius.....

It's just the perfect place.

10-02-2002, 11:30 AM
i hope it is in boston hartford or new york Because then i might have a chance at going!! images/icons/grin.gif