05-14-2002, 02:04 PM
One word....STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!! images/icons/confused.gif

mousedroid
05-14-2002, 02:47 PM
One more word....WHY WHY WHY?????

BigDumbWookiee
05-14-2002, 02:58 PM
I agree with mouse, why?
Of all the complaints Ive read, of all the problems I witnessed, and of everything else I know that went wrong, 99% of it is NOT because it was held in Indy. As a matter of fact, I'd dare say that the majority of the people enjoyed Indianapolis and would come back. The problems of C2 weren't because of Indianapolis, they were because of a serious underestimation of popularity on Wizards part.
Now, you will probably say Im biased, because under my sig line you see that I am from Indiana. Well, other than a much shorter drive, or for others farther away, not having to pay airfare, I had just as many expenses as the out of stater at C2. I drove in, had to pay for parking, hotel room, food, etc. The only thing that I didnt have to pay, like I said eariler, was for more gas, or a plane ticket.
Indianapolis is a day's drive from 2/3 of the population of the United States. While other cities have great convention centers, and enormous facilities, this is a huge part of what makes Indianapolis an ideal place to have it. Go to a bigger city, and not only may you have to travel further, but you will pay a lot more expenses. Indianapolis hotels are some of the least expensive in the travel industy; the highest concentration of restaraunts in a metropolitan area keeps food prices reasonable, and selection abound.
And last but not least, Wizards now understands how the facility operates; they know where crowds form, what areas are most congested, what areas are best for entrances, etc. If they go to another facility, they have to start all over, and risk having the same problems that plagued C2.
And just in case someone may think that I had the advantage in finding a cheap hotel because Im from the vicinity and know what hotels are where, etc, keep this in mind, I made my hotel reservations 1 week before the first day of C2, and still managed to get a decent price.
That is all,
Adam

[ 05-14-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: BigDumbWookie ]

Capntarpals
05-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Of course I'd like to have C3 closer to where I live on the East Coast, but if it's not going to be there, then by all means it should be in Indianapolis! It was a beautiful city, and the convention kicked butt! My wife and I had already agreed to return if it were to be held in Indianapolis again.

They would just need to have more showings of the "Trilogy in 30 Minutes" in a larger room. images/icons/wink.gif

SamIAm
05-14-2002, 04:04 PM
I'd rather liked Indy. Matter of fact I think my wife and I may visit Indy just because of how nice it was. I really hope they have CIII there.

ECHO_3
05-14-2002, 04:43 PM
i hope it there, ( here ) too.I live 45 min away from Indy and having this close to me makes me able to atend with out thought, Now if WIZERDS gets there head out of there *** for 3,will be another story. images/icons/confused.gif

05-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Why? Why? Why? Because it sucked ***** thats why. Or better yet..the people who ran it sucked *****...pardon me. If the turn out gets greater and greater at every celebration is was obvious the the Indy Convention center cant hold the capacity of people that will attend..Now thats WHY WHY WHY..LOL...maybe if they open up the dome it might work. It does sicken me how the entire Rebelscum folks defend everything about C2...I dont mean to offend but damn...are you guys blind or what? Most fans thought it sucked just like I did.

BigDumbWookiee
05-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Dawfx:
Why? Why? Why? Because it sucked ***** thats why. Or better yet..the people who ran it sucked *****...pardon me. If the turn out gets greater and greater at every celebration is was obvious the the Indy Convention center cant hold the capacity of people that will attend..Now thats WHY WHY WHY..LOL...maybe if they open up the dome it might work. It does sicken me how the entire Rebelscum folks defend everything about C2...I dont mean to offend but damn...are you guys blind or what? Most fans thought it sucked just like I did.<font size="2" face="arial">My point was that it wasn't Indy's fault that C2 had problems, it was Wizards. I do agree about capacity though, and they need to either cap it off, use the dome, or stretch it over maybe 4 or 5 days....... There was a fair amount of space that went unused, and other places that could have been used a little better, spacewise. The book giveaway took a TON of room, I personally thought it should have been in a seperate area, and let the exhibit/dealer area expand throughout. And, while this is obvious why, Wizards did hog a lot of space for stuff that could have been more compacted, ie the card playing area, and in general the Hasbro/Wizards area.... Thats just my opinion though. I honestly think, if they learned from their mistakes the convention center is a fine place to hold it

05-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Why? Why? Why? Because it sucked ***** thats why. Or better yet..the people who ran it sucked *****...pardon me. If the turn out gets greater and greater at every celebration is was obvious the the Indy Convention center cant hold the capacity of people that will attend..Now thats WHY WHY WHY..LOL...maybe if they open up the dome it might work. It does sicken me how the entire Rebelscum folks defend everything about C2...I dont mean to offend but damn...are you guys blind or what? Most fans thought it sucked just like I did.<font size="2" face="arial">Indy Convention Center can't hold it? Dude WOTC/Lucasfilm only rented part of the center, there were three more rooms the size of the exhibitor floor there. Those rooms all had other events in them during C2. BTW, I'm not defending anything about C2, just pointing out some things that people either didn't know/chose to overlook in their arguments.

As for the "most fans" part of your post, is that most fans that you know, or most fans in general. I don't know anyone that thought that the entire event sucked, just some parts, just like any other convention. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, but don't expect to be universally praised for it.

jeff

05-14-2002, 09:18 PM
First I am by far not a dude. Second whatever Wizards rented, acquired WHATEVER was to damn small. It doesnt make a difference now....that extra space didnt do sh&t for me when I was there.

05-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Jeff I dont want to be..and I quote " universally praised". I could give a crap less. You on the other hand....lets see..do you speak for the masses? Do you? I dont think so. Yes I have MY opinion..dont dog mine out unless you want disrespected .

jawas_rule
05-14-2002, 09:42 PM
I am from Indiana and sincerely hope they will have Celebration 3 in Indianapolis. If they have three years to better plan, I think things will go much more smoothly the next time, rather than starting all over again in a new location. I had a great time overall, my main complaints involved the inability to take photos or videos and the length of the lines. I missed out on several shows just standing in line. And I didn't even bother with trying to get Carrie Fisher's autograph.

BigDumbWookiee
05-14-2002, 09:53 PM
I would like to know what C1 attendees thought of CII. Everything was done infinately better than the first one! The only problems that arrised came by the hands of Wizards planning. The convention center isnt too small, they just didnt know how to organize around it.

I for one, think they should not have a figure next time around. A lot of people came souly to get the figure, and that shouldn't have been what C2 was about. I think it added to the crowds quite a bit. Either that, or when you buy your passes, you get a reservation for a figure to be mailed later; not only would everyone get their figure, but if you wanted it badly enough, you could just buy the pass and order a figure and not go.

Also, Wizards is moving most (all?) of their conventions to Indianapolis now, which is going to give them even more experience with the facility.

05-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Jeff I dont want to be..and I quote " universally praised". I could give a crap less. You on the other hand....lets see..do you speak for the masses? Do you? I dont think so. Yes I have MY opinion..dont dog mine out unless you want disrespected .<font size="2" face="arial">First, with a handle such as yours the *** of the person in in question, therefore by the rules of English the male honoriffic is used. Plus, Dude has so many different uses. images/icons/smile.gif Also, I don't care if you are a green martian with tentacles sprouting out of your head, it doesn't change the way that I approach a conversation.

What the hell does "dog mine out" and "disrespected" mean? By the word base, disrespected means that you have to respect someone first, I don't think that we know each other well enough to know if we do respect one another. It does take knowledge of a person to establish that as a criteria.

I didn't claim to speak for anyone but myself, unlike your post that I responded to. I asked for clarification, which I didn't get, and I get attacked in the process. I do know many people that had problems with some part of C2, but not all. Is there something that you did like, or just hate the experience entirely? Since I don't know what else you have attended, are there any other shows that you can compare this to. Granted, nothing will compare in size (with the exception of the Wizard shows and San Diego), but I'm looking for what you thought in a rational manner. Call it morbid curiosity, I have some bad memories and some good ones from C2, just like I have band and good memories from school. You try to forget the bad and remember the good, doesn't always work that way, but I do try.

jeff

05-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Are all Texans stupid as you? Jeff? Stop messaging me with all that dirty talk Jeff or I'll have to report you. Nasty sick pervert.

05-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Are all Texans stupid as you? Jeff? Stop messaging me with all that dirty talk Jeff or I'll have to report you. Nasty sick pervert.<font size="2" face="arial">What?

Can't discuss what you started? I still haven't attacked you, but here you go again. Are you just determined to show that you can't discuss something and must attack to try and win a point in something that doesn't keep score? You seemed to start with the disposition that C3 shouldn't be in Indy. Give some reasons why, the space for the convention can be made larger, they did underestimate the crowd, and they didn't train their personell well enough to cover the jobs that they were supposed to do. I've sent messages pointing this out to them. Send one yourself, but make it a real statement to them, not something like "Stupid, Stupid, Stupid."

Go ahead and report, the message board keeps track of all messages, public and private, and I haven't sent anything that isn't posted here in this public thread.

jeff

05-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Let's look at the bright side, if they do have it in Indy again, which I sincerely hope they do, I don't think we'll have to worry about Dawfx attending, then whining about it later.... images/icons/grin.gif

mousedroid
05-15-2002, 08:51 AM
It does sicken me how the entire Rebelscum folks defend everything about C2...I dont mean to offend but damn...are you guys blind or what? Most fans thought it sucked just like I did.<font size="2" face="arial">I'm sorry that my opinion, or the fact that I had fun at the show sickens you. I'm also sorry that you didn't have a good time.

Have you ever been to a show like this before? I've been going to the San Diego Comicon every year for the past five years and I learned a long time ago that when you go to a show this size you are NOT going to get to do everything, even over the course of three days. There's always going to be a panel going on that you want to see at the same time your favorite celebrity is signing. And yes, with ten's of thousands of fans in attendance you are going to have to stand in line for a loooooong time to do or see something that everyone else wants to do or see. That's if you are lucky enough to get in the line at all before it gets cut off.

The first time or two that these things happen to you, it angers and frustrates you, but you learn that's the way things go. In order for everyone to be able to do/see everything at C2, it would have had to run for a week and cost...well more wealth than you can imagine. images/icons/wink.gif

I went to C2 with a plan to accomplish a minimal amount of tasks and just have fun the rest of the time. I got most of my stuff done Friday morning and just hung out. Now I'm not saying it's your fault that you didn't have a good time. Wizards of the Coast certainly mismanaged quite a few things (line control and the Sacul figures being the two obvious examples) but it wasn't entirely their fault either. Even an established show such as the San Diego Comic-Con would deteriorate into chaos if they got triple the expected attendance.

As for the rest of your posts in this thread, Dawfx, you may want to go back and re-read the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you registered for these forums. You have violated them several times. In the future, please refrain from the use of profanity, or if you insist on using it, do not use $$ and such to circumvent the censor software. It's not too hard to figure out what **** is when used in a certain context.

If you ever have problems with another member harassing you, feel free to bring it to my attention, or that of one of the other moderators. That's what we're here for. Publically attacking someone only weakens your position, and again violates those pesky rules you consented to when you clicked that "I Agree" button.

Have a wonderful day. images/icons/smile.gif

[ 05-15-2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: mousedroid ]

05-15-2002, 09:17 AM
You go Mouse.

mousedroid
05-15-2002, 09:25 AM
I'm on a roll today, Spider. images/icons/wink.gif

BigDumbWookiee
05-15-2002, 09:46 AM
*rises and claps* Chalk one up for mouse! :c)

BigDumbWookiee
05-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by grandmoffschizz:
Let's look at the bright side, if they do have it in Indy again, which I sincerely hope they do, I don't think we'll have to worry about Dawfx attending, then whining about it later.... images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Yeah, Im counting on that!
Reasons why C3 in Indy will be better this time around:

They already know the lay of the land, and hopefully learned from their mistakes.

Indy has the resources for it, it was a much bigger success than the Denver Celebration (although I still enjoyed myself at that show too, wish they would have brought the life size XWing back to C2).

Everyone who absolutely HATED and detested everything about C2 probably wont go to C3! :c) More room for everyone else.

I don't think this would have blown so far out of hand, if we could have been given a reason other than "it sucked". Like Jeff said, I dont know anyone, well except Dawfx, that hated absolutely everything about C2. Sure, the lines weren't FUN, but hey, I guess if you dont want to wait in lines, you shouldn't go to any more conventions.

I still look at C1 when thinking about C2. We didnt have all these cool seminars, no exclusive figure, no roomy INDOOR facilities, we had to wait outside, in the rain and mud for hours, and a lot of other problems plagued C1. But ya know what, everyone I ever talked to had a great time and really enjoyed. I guess you only get from it what you put into it. Sure, if you went to C2 expecting to see and do everything, then you probably left pretty darn mad.

All I want to see is a logical explanation to why Indianapolis isn't the ideal place to hold the convention.

No matter how big the facility, its going to get overcrowded. Let's pretend they hold it in New York for a second. Now while Ive never been, Im sure New York has enormous convention facilities, and guess what, everyone would take advantage of that fact! They advertise the size of the facility, and that it can hold more people than all of C2 had, and guess what, more people will go. More people go, crowds form, lines form, and in general, you get the same problems as we had in Indy. The point is, to an extent it doesnt matter how big the facility is, it matters how well you manage it. Indianapolis has the size, the hotels, the eateries, the after hours entertainment, the public parking/transportation and everything else to make a large convention a success. If it didn't, they wouldn't have picked it in the first place.

Now, a slightly scewed version of Wayne and Garth's immortal words: FLAME ON!

Boba_Binks
05-16-2002, 03:11 PM
All that I will say on this is...

C2 was a hugh success. I am sorry for those who say it sucked and all. I cannot see why you say that. Sure things go wrong with any event, but can anyone tell me specifically why C2 sucked and what went wrong in general as a whole? I have only seen people complain about things like long lines, too many people, ect. But nothing specific on why C2 sucked as a whole.
Again it was a success and there is a 99.9% chance that C3 will be back in Indy in 2005. If you do not like it, then do not come.

...and you go mousedroid!

JohnA
05-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Wow. images/icons/shocked.gif I can't believe so many people get so heated over this. Am I the only one that had a blast? I went as part of the vintage collecting forum. We set this up months ago. Most of us stayed in the same hotel, on the same floor, we set up our own after hours events, we set up dinner for ourselves, and we had a great time. I think the reason why most of the group I met up w/ had fun is b/c we went to hang out w/ friends and enjoy the con. I had a few minor complaints. Like the hotel booked people in the same wing w/ us who didn't appreciate our noise. But that could have been solved if they gave us an isolated block of rooms like we put in for months ago. And the other gripe I had was that so many good things went on at the same time. I guess that's good though b/c if only one good thing went on at a time EVERYONE would want to see it. Anyone who has gripes make a plan the next time you go. Plan for long lines, if you don't like them go to a less popular activity in a different room. Go to be w/ friends that you never see. I had much more fun meeting and hanging out w/ memebers of the board that I either see "once in a blue" or have never actually met face to face. Don't take it so serious and you will enjoy it more. The event was meant to bring SW fans together not tear them apart arguing over the venue.

Are all Texans stupid as you? Jeff? Stop messaging me with all that dirty talk Jeff or I'll have to report you. Nasty sick pervert ..<font size="2" face="arial">On a side note Dawfx, this really isn't the place to air dirty laundry like that. I found this post rather sickening. If Darth Jeff really did say something you should report it and have proof to back you up. If you used this as attack to further your cause then that is just low. Let's try to keep these discussions fun. Ok?

John

05-19-2002, 11:13 PM
LOL HAHAHAHH!!!!!!!! Just like John Lennon said..Let it be....let it beeeeeeeeeee. LOL I dont care what sickens anybody...so take some pepto and get over it.LOL

bibfortuna
05-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Good job keeping the trolls in check, Mouse.

I had a great time at C2. I hope it returns to Indy in 3 years. Heck, I could deal with a cool, big, SW convention every other year or so.

I had NEVER been to a convention this big, and had only heard horror stories about C1. Once I saw the weather was decent, and I could actually get inside, I was on the "plus" side of the scale!

I did miss some things I wanted to see, and yes, the lines were longer than I wanted. But I met some really nice people while standing in line, and had some nice talks with people from all over the country. We were all there because we're SW fans. Not everybody liked it, not everybody hated it. But I'm SURE everybody had parts they liked, and parts they hated.

I hope to possibly BE an exhibitor or something at the next Celebration. And no matter where it is, I plan on at LEAST attending.

Facilities were nice. Hotel rooms were nice. It was easy to get to.

I do hope that they get more of the convention center or put a cap on the number of people in there to try to cut down on some of the lines.

BTW, I agree that it would have been nice to have the SW in 30 minutes stage show in a larger room, but if you notice, they didn't use any kind of microphones or anything. Too large of a room, and you wouldn't have been able to hear them. Maybe if they all had wireless mics or something...

Rob

mgibson72
05-20-2002, 03:27 PM
I'm a Celebration I and II veteran and there were good things about each. II ended up being a blast but it got really scary on Friday. In Denver, if you missed a show there were a few more opportunities to see the same thing later on. I really wasn't able to do that with a couple of the shows in Indy. But who could argue about the weather?!? images/icons/wink.gif

To get back on topic, Indy was a great city with a wonderful, safe downtown core that was a delight to walk through. Numerous hotels and restaurants made everything easy. As someone who lives on the West Coast, I'm happy that the convention was centrally located...although I wouldn't mind a different city for each convention to see more of the country.

Wizards needs to look at their notes from C2 and plan well in advance for C3. If C3 is in Indy next time then I'm all for it. Great city.

JohnA
05-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mousedroid:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Dawfx:
OOPS DID I JUST GET BANNED??????<font size="2" face="arial">Not yet, but we're working on it.</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Thanx Mouse. images/icons/smile.gif I really wasn't trying to attack her and she still had something to say. Trolls like that make people leave boards. I'm gald you guys are here to control it. Good work.

John

mousedroid
05-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Dawfx, please check your private messages.

05-21-2002, 12:30 AM
MOUSEDROID! CHECK YOUR EMAIL!

05-21-2002, 12:31 AM
edit

[ 05-20-2002, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Membraneman ]

mousedroid
05-21-2002, 12:50 AM
OOPS DID I JUST GET BANNED??????<font size="2" face="arial">Not yet, but we're working on it.