PDA

View Full Version : The biggest mess I've seen in a while..

05-10-2002, 04:03 PM
The only cool thing about our experience at C2 was getting the exclusive figs, and buying acouple of items that we needed for our collection. I'm suprised the fire marshall didnt close the event down..it was elbow to elbow on Saturday when we were there. The schedule had changed so we got screwed out of events we wanted to see...if we hadnt gotten the figs I would be one very pissed off camper right now. I dont think I'll ever go to one again. images/icons/mad.gif

technopimp
05-10-2002, 09:15 PM
That's interesting you mention the fire thing...I was thinking to myself as I was standing in line for the Rick McCallum thing, that there were over 1000 people in an interior room. I was on the far side of the room, and there were only 2 sets of double doors to allow people to exit. If a fire had broken out, not only would many of us not been able to escape, but many would have been injured by the huge mass of people trying to press through the door. Is it a good thing the fire marshall didn't show? Maybe not. This is a good argument for selling a limited number of tickets.

05-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by technopimp:
Is it a good thing the fire marshall didn't show? Maybe not. This is a good argument for selling a limited number of tickets.<font size="2" face="arial">The Fire Marshall was there all three days. They were holding it over WOTC heads that things had to be put into more of a crowd control system, that is one reason that there were changes between each of the three days. C2 came very close to closing down on Saturday.

jeff

whojedi
05-10-2002, 11:40 PM
I could not agree with Darth Jeff anymore. I work from Monday until teardown on Sunday and the fire marshalls were present all the time. They did make changes everyday at C2 and were especially present in the "Tatooine" room where they had the digital presentation. They were constantly monitoring the interior and exterior of the room to ensure it was okay. Yeah, it was crowded, but they were there the whole time.

bibfortuna
05-11-2002, 12:44 AM
On Sat., I was in line for an event in the Sagamore Ballroom (the main ballroom upstairs) and some WOTC personnel were telling everybody that per the fire marshall, they could not sit down in line, they had to stand up.

So the fire marshall was there. I'm confident that they were putting the safety of the guests (if not the comfort) first.

Rob

technopimp
05-13-2002, 03:26 PM
I can't believe that the room for the Rick M. thing was anywhere near up to code for that many people. Can't you just imagine what the scene would have looked like had there been a fire? Most of us who weren't trampled would have been trapped in a sea of humanity. I am not doubting that the fire marshall was there, but I don't see how (even with some changes made) it was up to code. Maybe an nice $100,000 fine to Wizards would give them a kick where they need it.

05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
I immediately got into the line to see the opening ceremonies (which I never got to see...) on Fri. morning right after I got my badge. One frantic Wizards guy was running around herding the line outside and around the building because of fire hazard reasons. Once we set foot outside the building while waiting in this line, we were told by the Wizards guy that we were not allowed to go back into the building in the doors we came out of, unless it was filing with the line. Then the Wizards guy went away. It was quite funny because people kept going in and out of these doors, many probably without badges at all, because no one was really checking. Then the Wizards guy arrived again, and one poor guy had gotten separated from his party...he was the only person that this "rule" was enforced against. The Wizards guy took this other guy and walked him away explaining why he couldn't go in right there. Meanwhile, while he is doing his duty of keeping this one guy from coming in, about 40 people were going in and out of the doors again. Quite humorous, actually.

Vadervictor
05-13-2002, 08:03 PM
I can't believe they didn't figure out what the total capacity was and then limit the ticket sales accordingly. I guess Princess Leia said it best, "If it's money that you love....."