PDA

View Full Version : CELEBRATION 2-GOOD, BAD AND THE UGLY!

DTMAN
05-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, overall, it was a great experience.
Not to say there can be improvements.

I felt Wizard did a better job than I expected. Not to say there would be snags, but based on what I saw and they did, they peformed a very good job. It helped that they had the 501st Legion to help with security. It would have much worse without them.

Now on to points mentioned in the forum:
1) Location. Great location, but it was a little confusion to where and what you were looking for.
The Map was okay, but I felt it was a bit confusing in the beginning.

Curious. Did anyone notice the escalators were not working to the hotels? This really bothered me. I knew there would be a lot of people, but not to run them at all was a bad idea.

2) Autographs. Yes, they were long but expected. If you did not expect it, you were not prepared for it esp. Fisher. It was a given. The lines were a bit shorter on Friday(Fisher only did Sat and Sun which made if more difficult). REALLY LONG for Saturday and a little less on Sunday. What made it difficult was where to go.
I thought the pull system was a good idea, but they were still overwhelmed.

3) The biggest problem was the schedule. There was simply too much. Some items should have been removed, and some presentation should have been repeated for other people to attend. The way they scheduled the McCullum presentation was best since you had more than 1 chance to go even with the line. The continuous presentations showed during all 3 days was the best idea that I have seen at a convention. It only needed to be a little less.

4) Cele. 2 exclusive figure: what else is there to say? If you did not go there early, you were out of luck. As to 2 per person, I saw ways that was broken which is unfortunate for people who did not get one. It helped if you were in a group. I helped out people I knew while they were waiting in the autograph line.

5) Presentations were great, but it should have been repeated. There should have been a closing ceremony with everyone on stage for a group photo opportunity. I was disappointed with that.

Compared to Cele. 1, this was 10x better.

Hopefully, they can make adjustments.

One last thing, I heard it has been booked for Cele 3 which is a good thing depending on your point of view.

END OF TRANSMISSION.

Ed3
05-08-2002, 07:31 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the autograph pull service. I was the big guy with the beard running the booth for the whole weekend and, yes, we were overwhelmed by the response. I'd like to thank my fellow fans for being understanding about the lines.

Contrary to some reports I've seen on this forum, there were 2 to 4 of us taking orders for almost the entire weekend. I know on Saturday I sat down to start taking orders at 8:45am and didn't get to so much as stand until almost 5:45pm. Lunch took about 3 hours to eat one half-bite at a time. Sunday was exciting too (we opened on-time at 9:01am and didn't leave until well after the whole thing closed at 4pm) and we all learned some valuable lessons for the next time we do this.

We were trying something that had never been done for a Star Wars show and I think it worked pretty darned well. Could the lines have been shorter? Next time, we'll be better prepared for the crush. Still, the pull service line was shorter than any other autograph line and let people buy Carrie Fisher (and all of the others) in any quantity long after her normal line was closed. You didn't have to camp out at 3am for the pull service line.

Some lines will be long when 30000 people show up for one event. We just about killed ourselves trying to keep our line as short as possible. I'd like to thank all of the people who came up later and thanked us for doing what we did. It was fun (but exhausting) and I'm looking forward to 2005.

For the record, I am just a fan from Dallas that was working the booth as a volunteer and cannot speak officially for C2 Ventures or the Celebration. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on this unique experience.

bibfortuna
05-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by DTMAN:

Curious. Did anyone notice the escalators were not working to the hotels? This really bothered me. I knew there would be a lot of people, but not to run them at all was a bad idea.

END OF TRANSMISSION.<font size="2" face="arial">With regard to the escalators. I did notice they weren't running - and there's several good reasons.

First, you get different numbers of people heading up and down at different times of the day, depending on which events where are getting out. Sometimes you need more capacity in one direction than another. It helps eliminate bottlenecks.

Second, and more importantly - the crowds were staggering. Sometimes there were literally walls of people waiting for something at the top or bottom of an escalator. Ever have some moron get to the end of an escalator and just STOP - get get his bearings or look around or whatever? The next people down (or up) have no place to go.

As someone who commutes via train every day from a busy station, I can say from experience it can be scary when something happens and there is no way to get off a moving escalator - people packed at the bottom, people coming down behind you....

It's a safety issue, and I, for one, was glad to put up with the minor inconvenience of the escalators being shut off. I know they were shut off near the hotel skywalks as well as inside the convention center - it was probably just a blanket decision - all on, or all off. images/icons/smile.gif

Just my opinions...
Rob

BigDumbWookiee
05-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by bibfortuna:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by DTMAN:

END OF TRANSMISSION.<font size="2" face="arial">With regard to the escalators. I did notice they weren't running - and there's several good reasons.

First, you get different numbers of people heading up and down at different times of the day, depending on which events where are getting out. Sometimes you need more capacity in one direction than another. It helps eliminate bottlenecks.

Second, and more importantly - the crowds were staggering. Sometimes there were literally walls of people waiting for something at the top or bottom of an escalator. Ever have some moron get to the end of an escalator and just STOP - get get his bearings or look around or whatever? The next people down (or up) have no place to go.

As someone who commutes via train every day from a busy station, I can say from experience it can be scary when something happens and there is no way to get off a moving escalator - people packed at the bottom, people coming down behind you....

It's a safety issue, and I, for one, was glad to put up with the minor inconvenience of the escalators being shut off. I know they were shut off near the hotel skywalks as well as inside the convention center - it was probably just a blanket decision - all on, or all off. images/icons/smile.gif

Just my opinions...
Rob</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">I was thinking the same thing, its funny that you bring it up. I was thinking about the 25th anniversary concert, people were lined up all the way down the escalator. All I could think was "Can you imagine the mess if that thing came on?" lol people would have been stacked everywhere........

DTMAN
05-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Well, I am glad I was not the only one who noticed. Thanks for noticing.

I figured it was a safety issue.

However, they could have use them at certain times of the day or when the crowds started to thin.

It would have helped at the end of the day.

Oh, well, perhaps Celebration 3.

SamIAm
05-13-2002, 02:58 PM
I really had a great time at CII. I normally can find a lot wrong with things but over all I'd give CII a B+. I feel there could have been better communication. (like signs telling you what was what, and what line to get into for what) I enjoyed the 501st. I enjoyed must of the boths, And the showes I saw. I only had one problem during the weekend. It was Sunday and I was in line waiting for a Jorg fig. (Early sunday) Well this guy (by himself) is cutting in line. Just walking threw , right past everyone. I'm the only one who says anything to him. He tells me he was in line since 3am and he didn't care that he was cutting. So I told security and they did nothing. Then the guy says.. what do you want to do about it and invites me to the open floor to fight..haha.. So I take him up and well lets just say he didn't move..(I hope he reads this cause he know who he is..) That was the worst thing about CII Weekend. Other than that..It was great..

Bounty_Hunter_XP
06-06-2002, 02:38 PM
Improvements that need to be made:

EXCLUSIVES--The intention of providing exclusives should be geared toward allowing everybody getting one (as supplies allow). SOLUTION: Whenever an exclusive is purchased, the cashier PUNCHES a hole (unique punch mark for each different exclusive) in the ID card worn around the neck. That way, they know that everybody has a chance to get one. (And if it looks on Sunday like there'll be some left over, THEN allow the hoarders/scalpers to buy extras.)

SIGNS--- There should be clearly marked entrances for people who already had their badges. And the rooms/events should be more clearly marked (with bigger signs).

LINES-- Since lines were so long, they really needed specific markers (like movie theaters) of what line went to what event.

CON. SHOP-- They REALLY need a separate line for the exclusive figures. If you wanted a t-shirt or hat, you stood in the same LOOOOOONG line as those seeking figures.

FOOD--Jeez, is it so hard to provide adequate seating? Getting food took forever, and finding a seat was impossible.

SEATING--There should be places to sit scattered all through the convention area. There was plenty of unused space in the dealer room for this purpose. (And sitting on the floor sucks.)

PROGRAM--Sure, the $10 mag. was nice, but there should be stacks of free event-listing broadsheets at multiple locations. In case you didn't get one or lost the one you had. Same for maps.

FOOTBALL FIELD--They should open the doors to the field and allow people to walk around. (Okay, this one is a selfish desire.)

If I've mentioned something they already had, that just shows how difficult it was to discover it.

Virex
06-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DTMAN:
Well, I am glad I was not the only one who noticed. Thanks for noticing.

I figured it was a safety issue.

However, they could have use them at certain times of the day or when the crowds started to thin.

It would have helped at the end of the day.

Oh, well, perhaps Celebration 3.<font size="2" face="arial">I always figured that the biggest reason the escalators were turned off (they were working early Friday) was for safety--mostly due to all of the people wearing long robes with their Jedi, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, and Padme costumes. There potentially could have been some nasty accidents if those things had been running all weekend long.

I didn't mind them being off. . . I needed the excersize! images/icons/grin.gif