PDA

View Full Version : Best deal/worst deals you saw at C2

05-08-2002, 11:25 AM
How about sharing what kind of deals (or lack thereof) you found:

I found one dealer that had a bunch of Galoob stuff dirt cheap. My son is interested in the micromachines now (of which I had basically none but the Action Fleet) so we looked for some. The most expensive set we bought was $5. My son was very happy because I gave him only $20 (he's just 7, can't spoil him images/icons/wink.gif and he got a load of toys for that.

The worsts things I saw were the Jorg Sacul's on sale for $20-30+ (I don't care what other members have said in other posts, I saw dealers with my own eyes selling them), Tie Bombers and Snowspeeders going for $60+ and a supposedly "rare" proof (prototype) figure of the POTJ Lando for sale for around $200 (if I remember correctly) - he just didn't have paint on his head. That's a proof figure?

Someone mentioned a $100 Bespin Luke in another thread (sorry, forgot who it was).

What did you see (good or bad)?

BigDumbWookiee
05-09-2002, 12:03 AM
I was buying a bunch of cards from the dealer in front of Suncoast, a couple of English gentlemen, and had a bit of merchandise, and they cut me a fantastic deal and saved me about 40 bucks. I ended up paying about 5 dollars a piece for three uncut sheets of widevision cards.

05-11-2002, 01:31 AM
The worst deals were any AOTC figures above
retail. I'll wait until they go on clearance, thanks.

[ 05-11-2002, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Jon Peck ]

05-11-2002, 01:33 AM
The best deals I got at the show were C-9 vintage figures carded for $25 @ ROTJ R2-D2,TRI-LOGO R2-D2,ROTJ Leia Poncho & POTF Romba. The best deals all around were to be found on the 5th floor of the Omni. ESB proof cards were 3 for $100, ROTJ proofs 5 for $200. Those were worth the trip alone.

[ 05-11-2002, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Jon Peck ]

05-11-2002, 01:35 AM
And Jorg Saculs for $10:)

Mr_Stimp
05-11-2002, 03:14 AM
Well I paid 95 for a MIB sealed Ewok Village. I am about a day away from opening that sucker, freeing it from its box. First I need to make room my Endor battle sceen.

I also found me a OC Luke Stormtrooper for only $8, I could never find it less than 15. images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-11-2002, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Lord Stimpy - Toy Hunter ]

05-12-2002, 02:59 AM
This isn't specifically Star Wars related, but the worst thing I saw was the 3 or 4 booths that those punks were selling bootleg/pirated movies and music at. Everything from licensed and unlicensed anime to tv shows to even new, in theatre, movies (LotR, etc.) I don't know about anyone else, but it really bothered me that it was allowed at the con.

Did anyone else notice this crap that was going on?

mousedroid
05-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Yes, I was shocked that the bootleg material was allowed given LFL's obvious policy against the practice of bootlegging.

I didn't really see any horrendous deals - the stuff at Brian's toys was pretty much all overpriced IMO, but not absurdly so.

The best deal I saw/got was a MIMB Kabe & Muftak two-pack for $10. IIRC that is below the regular retail price for that item. I already had one, but I didn't realize Rusty Goffe had played Kabe in the Cantina scene, so I bought it to get it signed.

technopimp
05-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Lord Stimpy- NOOOOO!!! Don't open the box!!! I'll trade you my loose one for it!!! images/icons/smile.gif

The worst deals I saw were Mace Windu - Geonosian Rescue for $35 and the place that was selling the masks/costumes (over by the snack bar area). The "life size" Jango Fett that had a uniform that looked nothing like the actual one was $5000 or $8000...I can't remember which. Either way, not worth a tenth of that.

ECHO_3
05-14-2002, 04:56 PM
Worst:
everything was at least 20% above LEE'S guied.
I ask a dealer why everything was so high?
His reply: Wizerds were charging them $2000 a day for booth space!
I got a C-8.5 Han ( bespin ) on a ROTJ card ,It books for $90 The cheppist I seen was $120. You dont see C8 and above vintage figures much so I bought it anyways.

Mr_Stimp
05-15-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by technopimp:
Lord Stimpy- NOOOOO!!! Don't open the box!!! I'll trade you my loose one for it!!! images/icons/smile.gif

<font size="2" face="arial">Well if the box was in good condition I would, but its in maybe c-8. Plus It has sentimental meaning. When I was younger I always wanted one. My mom had my whole family hunting for this thing. They eventually found one but now its in many peaces, most of which are missing. Now when I get the room that thing is going to be freed from its cardboard cage and released. It will be part of my Endor Diaroma.

plus I plan to document my building of my scene. Including opening up the Ewok Village. images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-15-2002, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Lord Stimpy - Toy Hunter ]

Capntarpals
05-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Best deal, IMO= Disney Indiana Jones fig for $15

Worst= common as dirt Jar Jar Invasion Force for $20(WTF?)

I had the Jar Jar, but I should've bought the Indy while I could...they disappeared.

Ed3
05-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Best deal: All those free books Friday morning for people willing to stand in line for 20 minutes or so. (Yes, the line was that short.)

Worst deal: Realizing there won't be another Celebration until 2005--and possibly no more after that!

Letovx
05-27-2002, 12:14 AM
The best deals I got at the show were C-9 vintage figures carded for $25 @ ROTJ R2-D2,TRI-LOGO R2-D2,ROTJ Leia Poncho & POTF Romba. The best deals all around were to be found on the 5th floor of the Omni. ESB proof cards were 3 for $100, ROTJ proofs 5 for $200. Those were worth the trip alone.
<font size="2" face="arial">I digress briefly: I had the "pleasure" of being across the hall from the persons selling stuff in their rooms on the 5th floor of the Omni. Next time be a little more courteous to your neighbors who paid good bucks to have a place to relax quietly after spending all day at C2. These guys were LOUD all night and we had to constantly call the manager to quiet them down. Oh, now I know where all those extra Jorge Sacul figures ended up at the end of every day (to all those who did not get one).

Back to the subject: The best deal was any of the free merchandise from Topps, Suncoast, Rebelscum, etc.. They added a personal touch that was well worth it to fans.
As a past customer of Brians Toys, I thought they were a good company to do business with. After C2 I can honestly say that I was sadly mistaken. They sold stuff way over priced and were eager to get there hands on C2 stuff to sell it at over inflated prices later ($134.99 for the Jorge Sacul figure as of late). AOTC merchandise for over retail was icing on the cake for my poor opinion of them.

JosephY
05-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Letovx:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">
<font size="2" face="arial">I digress briefly: I had the "pleasure" of being across the hall from the persons selling stuff in their rooms on the 5th floor of the Omni. Next time be a little more courteous to your neighbors who paid good bucks to have a place to relax quietly after spending all day at C2. These guys were LOUD all night and we had to constantly call the manager to quiet them down. Oh, now I know where all those extra Jorge Sacul figures ended up at the end of every day (to all those who did not get one).

</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Well my friendless soul... FIRST of all, thanks for being a ***** and ruining other peoples fun. Sorry but most of us on the 5th floor are all friends in the hobby and only get to actually see each other at events like this. Secondly... IF you had bothered to actually look and see what was being offered you would have noticed not a SINGLE Jorge Sacul figure was sold in the rooms.Most of us had far more important items to look for, buy,and trade,..... What you would have seen was an incredibly impressive selection of proof cards, prototypes, and assorted foreign items, all offered at more than reasonable prices. You would have actually gotten to hang out with most of the more prevalant and knoweledgeable collectors in the hobby, and hell... even you might have made a friend or 2. But,no. You choose to hide in your little room and because you weren't having any fun, you decided to try to ruin others good times by calling the manager. NEXT time why don't YOU stay at a hotel that's away from the center of the conventions activities so that YOU (the minority) don't ruin the fun for the majority of us. To be perfectly honest, I had a LOT more fun hanging out on the 5th floor with my friends than I did waiting in lines and being crowded and cramped in the "vendor" room at the convention.
I'm sure that other members of the community will respond , basically saying the same things as I just did , but probably in a nicer less condesending way, but I've never been known for my tact or diplomacy in situations like this.

Joseph

Brett_H
05-27-2002, 11:12 AM
I digress briefly: I had the "pleasure" of being across the hall from the persons selling stuff in their rooms on the 5th floor of the Omni. Next time be a little more courteous to your neighbors who paid good bucks to have a place to relax quietly after spending all day at C2. These guys were LOUD all night and we had to constantly call the manager to quiet them down. Oh, now I know where all those extra Jorge Sacul figures ended up at the end of every day (to all those who did not get one).
<font size="2" face="arial">So you were the guy, huh? Basically, I agree with what Joseph said. You stay at one of the hotels attached to the convention center and expect silence so that you can rest? It's not like there was loud music blaring and people partying. You could have at least come out of your room and talked to some of us in person, if it was that big of a problem for you. We all paid good money for our rooms there too. And about the Sacul figures- what are you talking about?

[ 05-27-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: smilinglando ]

ronsalvatore
05-27-2002, 11:14 AM
I digress briefly: I had the "pleasure" of being across the hall from the persons selling stuff in their rooms on the 5th floor of the Omni. Next time be a little more courteous to your neighbors who paid good bucks to have a place to relax quietly after spending all day at C2. These guys were LOUD all night and we had to constantly call the manager to quiet them down.
<font size="2" face="arial">

Blame the hotel. They were supposed to hold a block of rooms for those of us who'd planned to stay at the Omni for several months. They didn't.

I guess we all have to apologize for going to C2 to actually meet friends and hang out. That was the whole point, really; I couldn't have cared less about 90% of the things happening at the convention.

Anyway, there are a couple of ways of looking at this. Either the majority of folks on the Omni fifth floor were being rude, or you (basically the only person who wasn't having fun) were being a stick in the mud. We weren't all *that* loud as far as I could tell. At least not past 1:00 AM, when things started quieting down.

Anyway, sorry for ruining your weekend. You should have introduced yourself and hung out. Maybe it would have been more fun for you.

Oh, now I know where all those extra Jorge Sacul figures ended up at the end of every day (to all those who did not get one).
<font size="2" face="arial">

Accusing someone of scalping is like the SW hobby equivalent of accusing someone of communism in the '50s. Get a new axe to grind.

For the record, I don't think I saw one of those stupid figures on the floor at any time. A good portion of the people I know who stayed there didn't even bother to buy them.

ron

[ 05-27-2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: ronsalvatore ]

Isaac_S_Lew
05-27-2002, 11:46 AM
For the group that you refer to, the 5th floor of the Omni was really the place to be after the convention activities were over. The convention ended pretty early (around 7pm), and we all worked together to stay at the same hotel so that we could all hang out together. The room sales were both a place to chat with your friends and buy a thing or two. Meeting up with all my friends who I barely get to see was one of the highlights for me at C2. Too bad it wasn't for you. I honestly think you would have had much more fun if it were the case.
-Isaac

[ 05-27-2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Isaac S. Lew ]

Letovx
05-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Nice to see this has brought about such passion from the group. I did not say your "store" ruined my weekend, I had a great time with my group of friends from Boston and San Francisco that I attended the convention with. Me and my roomate did not appreciate the noise late at night after we returned from our partying at local bars w/ other friends. The Sacul comment was brought about from a person we met in front of our door on Saturday night who had a bag of the figures. I asked him how he got so many and he said he knew some people selling them. He said he had waited in line at C2 and by the time he got into the store they had sold out. My friend told him that he looked like he had at least a percentage of all the figures sold that day so he must have been pretty lucky to buy them. The guy laughed and went into the room that the merchandise was being sold at. I appoligize for accusing you guys of scalping but from putting two and two together after this encounter we could only deduce that this was occuring. If you say it was not then I take your word for it. However, I still think it was entirely rude to have the place that crowded so late every night with out considering the other people sharing the hotel. If you disagree then that is your opinion. We reserved our hotel room in November (we also had a block of rooms for our friends), and no complaints were heard about us. I won't answer any more replys because enough has been said, but if this irks so many folks than I've accomplished my goal of getting the point across and seeing that a fraction of how we felt is being conveyed back.

DukeJoey__of_ERG
05-27-2002, 10:31 PM
I appoligize for accusing you guys of scalping but from putting two and two together after this encounter we could only deduce that this was occuring. f you say it was not then I take your word for it. However, I still think it was entirely rude to have the place that crowded so late every night with out considering the other people sharing the hotel. If you disagree then that is your opinion. We reserved our hotel room in November (we also had a block of rooms for our friends), and no complaints were heard about us. I won't answer any more replys because enough has been said, but if this irks so many folks than I've accomplished my goal of getting the point across and seeing that a fraction of how we felt is being conveyed back.<font size="2" face="arial">Deduction requires information, Holmes, and you seemed to lack enough to make that assuption. Of the grand mob total of 20 or so people that lined the halls, I was one of them. Not the loudest part of the convention, and pretty much the most fun. I concur with above, please exit from the area with hands on ears and find somewhere boring to complain.

Jim_Mc_Callum
05-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Trying to pin some sort of blame on us is pretty ludicrous...especially in this topic. If you have any problems than the hotel should have been blamed. It should have been booked in the block it was supposed to have been. Then all the doors of the collectors rooms could have been left open and free to enter and mingle. Maybe then you could have learned something about collecting (anyone that is anyone in this hobby was seen at least once on that floor) and then you wouldn't be fretting about Saculs, instead seeking proofs (items of real value and collectibility). You also stated you needed sleep after hours at the bar? What did you have... a Shirley Temple? In bed by ten? For C3 do the rest of a hobby a favour and book a "hotel room that is the farthest from".

Jim

bobafett14
05-29-2002, 07:17 PM
The C2 exclusive "25 years of the force" poster that was $12 and just went on Ebay for $222+ was one heck of a deal!