PDA

View Full Version : A sheep among the wolves (dealers got first pick in the store) - Long

05-07-2002, 01:15 PM
I was able to get in the convention hall early Friady morning at 6:30am. I won't say how but it was not illegal - I walked in a practically open door. I walked throughout the entire convention center and did not have one security guard ask me who I was and if I was supposed to be there. I walked with a purpose like I was supposed to be there. After I realized that I would get caught if I went ahead and sat down in front of the C2 store, I hid in a nearby room and listened to people walk by every few minutes until I saw people walking my way to get in line about 8:00am. At this point, I left the room and got in line (fourth after an oriental woman ran around me and let her companions in front of me. It was then I realized that all of the people around me were the "exhibitors" (dealers/scalpers). They were given early access to the store before the attendees were actually allowed inside. I don't think people know/knew this - DEALERS WERE GIVEN FIRST DIBS ON THE STORE MERCHANDISE! I listened to the conversations. Mostly benign, about setting up and opening their kiosks. But some were talking about what they were going to get. I distinctly heard at least a couple guys say that they were going to get as many Jorg Sacul figs as they could with one saying he was not going to get less than ten (for themselves or to sell). I can't remember names but I sure as heck can tell you which stores they were from, but I won't here (one guy was from a major sponsor of this site). I kept my mouth shut so I wouldn't be discovered (I had my badge partially covered as well). Some of the guys were very nice and considerate but most of them were rather degrading of the customers/regular attendees. We waited for a while, one guy raised heck because they did not let them in at the time they were supposed to. I think it was about 9:00 when they let us in, all of the exhibitors well before the fan club folks. Most of the dealers I was around were nice but I saw several getting back in line for the figures - SEVERAL. I got my two figs, my lightsaber pens, T-shirts, program and backpack and left.

05-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Bump!

technopimp
05-08-2002, 07:02 AM
Just one more example of how this convention was one of the most poorly planned and executed events I've ever seen. It completely ignored the wants and needs of thousands of paying fans, and left most of us without the opportunity to get anything we came for.

Jeremy
05-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Did you ever consider the fact that the dealers/exhibitors were Star Wars fans too, had less opportunity to see the event because they were busy at their stalls and paid A LOT more money to get in that you did?

It's sad that some individuals took advantage of the situation, but it isn't surprising that dealers/exhibitors were at the front of the line - they were in the hall first and this wa their only chance. Unlike you who shouldn't have been there.

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Jeremy

technopimp
05-08-2002, 07:09 AM
If they were truly buying the figures/merchandise for their own collections, I doubt we would have seen so many "Jorg Sacul - $30" signs up in the dealer room. I'm not saying that some of them weren't collecting, but most dealers are just that-dealers, not collectors.

QGJim
05-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Another post in defense of the scalpers...
Are you a scalper or a masochist?

Rogue9Horn
05-08-2002, 08:41 AM
The Exhibitors (which are online stores as well) are opportunists. It doesn't surprise me at all that they were scarfing up as many figs as they could. I do not agree with their practices ( I could do the same thing on ebay if I were so inclined to) of taking advantage of the market and supply and demand for these items. I'm sure to them, they see it as "good business" and making as much profit as they can. I have a conscience and can't do that kind of "business". If I could live with myself doing that to other collectors; then I could have my whole collection with very little expense, but imo it just wouldn't be right. I detest scalping, but unfortunately, these scalpers are enabled and encouraged by the collectors who willingly dole out the mega bucks for these items. I guess the whole of the thing is.... Life is just not fair! Whether it's collecting, health, wealth or whatever else there is.

Cheesus
05-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jimmurf71:
Another post in defense of the scalpers...
Are you a scalper or a masochist?<font size="2" face="arial">I'm guessing he had no problems getting his Jorge Sacul figure.

Chris

musasa
05-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Brian's Toys is selling the figure for $125. They were buying them at C2 for $20. Nuff said.

05-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Excuse me Jeremy,

But the fact that dealers paid more money to get into the show?

That point seems like a red herring, since dealers were there to sell merchandise. To make money.

They could have always forgone their jobs like many of us did and went as a fan if they wanted things that badly.

I don't agree with your argument. Just my opinion though.

05-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy:
Did you ever consider the fact that the dealers/exhibitors were Star Wars fans too, had less opportunity to see the event because they were busy at their stalls and paid A LOT more money to get in that you did?

It's sad that some individuals took advantage of the situation, but it isn't surprising that dealers/exhibitors were at the front of the line - they were in the hall first and this wa their only chance. Unlike you who shouldn't have been there.

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Jeremy<font size="2" face="arial">Let me respond to this...HORSE*****. How many of these guys did I see with Fan Club lanyards? A total of 2 (a man and his son, very likeable folks)- there were possibly more but those are all I saw in the first few people in line. Granted I took advantage of an opportunity like they did, but who wouldn't have? Ask anyone if they would stand in a huge line if they had a chance to go inside early. I had no intention of getting more than 2 and that's what I got (I am sorry for those that didn't get the chance to get them). I later saw one of these guys with the sign in his kiosk advertising to buy/sell Jorg figs for $20 each on Saturday. Do I blame the dealers for going early? No. Do I blame WOTC for allowing the hoarding of figures while true fans and fan-club members were screwed? YES!
One other thing - the dealers may have paid more money than I did to get in, BUT I DIDN'T GO TO MAKE MONEY. Are you one of those dealers? If you are, fess up and continue the conversation.

05-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Hey Jeremy, exactly which dealers table did you work at!...I mean really are you for Real with those stupid comments or are you joking!

Hey I have no doubt some of these dealers are big star wars fans. They make tons of money off of collectors why wouldn't they be!

I actually saw the new Luke Besbin figure for $100.00 at a table! Oh the poor dealers who didn't get to see all the exibits! Whoa is them!

The Dealers were there by choice Jeremy it wasan't exactly forced on them.I wouldn't have cared if the building fell on all of them.

They were the worst thing connected to the convention. The Lucas figure was only made worse by the dealer scum getting into the mix so they could make their scalper money so they could go another week without having to get a real job!

Nobody in their right mind would have defended what I saw at that convention unless they were a dealer or connected to one! This means you Jeremy! images/icons/mad.gif

05-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Alf,

I saw that Luke for $100.00 too, that was the same table selling the Skiff in a pulverized box for $165.00.

Yesterday, I got my Luke at Walmart for $5.88.

05-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by musasa:
Brian's Toys is selling the figure for $125. They were buying them at C2 for $20. Nuff said.<font size="2" face="arial">Holy crap, I had to go to their site to see for myself. Man, what scumbags. I refused to go to their booth at C2 just because I know they are loser scalpers from previous dealings and their outrageous prices on their items.

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Brian's Toys... I refused to go to their booth at C2 just because I know they are loser scalpers from previous dealings and their outrageous prices on their items.

I brought home something like sixteen vintage carded figures from the celebration, all of which I bought from Brian Semling. I couldn't have been happier with the quality of the figures or the prices. Granted, they weren't out-and-out bargains, but they were more than fair for what I was getting. I stopped by several times to go through their inventory, and was always treated courteously. I will definitely continue to do business with Brian in the future.

05-08-2002, 10:20 AM
He does have okay prices on some things but some of it is just ludicrous. Come on! $125 for Jorg Sacul!?

I do apologize for the outburst against them in the prior post, I was on a ranting kick. But please. Look at the Jorg price.

05-08-2002, 10:25 AM
I would hope that after buying 16 vntage figures that he was curteous to you.

Does that absolve the price of Jorg, or the manner in which he obtained them?

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 10:25 AM
He does have okay prices on some things but some of it is just ludicrous. Come on! $125 for Jorg Sacul!?

If you think the price is outrageous, then don't buy it from him.

(I think the price is ridiculous, too.)

Rogue9Horn
05-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately, Jeremy was not joking. Check out the "Jorg Sacul in the UK" thread. images/icons/frown.gif

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Does that absolve the price of Jorg, or the manner in which he obtained them?

Absolve?

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I have broken the eleventh commandment, "Thou shalt not scalp."

"I absolve you of your sins, my son. Go, and say five Hail Marys for each Jorg Sacul you have scalped."

Brian can put whatever price he wants on that figure. If people don't panic and have to have the figure "right now", they will surely be able to acquire it for much less in the future.

05-08-2002, 10:32 AM
While I do respect your thoughts, I would ask nicely that you don't make fun of religion.

The point still stands, whatever semantics you want to put to the issue.

musasa
05-08-2002, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the good deals, Chris. I think the point is, if Brian's Toys (or any other etailer) demonstrates this type of business practice, should we support them in the future by purchasing other items from them?

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 11:26 AM
While I do respect your thoughts, I would ask nicely that you don't make fun of religion.

Nobody is making fun of religion. I am so used to the "Bless me Father..." because of the numerous times I've had to go to confession...

I just found absolve to be strange in the context it was used.

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 11:33 AM
I think the point is, if Brian's Toys (or any other etailer) demonstrates this type of business practice, should we support them in the future by purchasing other items from them?

What "business practice" are you finding fault with? High prices? If the price is too high, then go purchase the item elsewhere. But just because I might find the price on one item too high, I'm not going to pass up other good deals out of protest.

If Brian Semling put up a sign offering to pay $20 for a Sacul figure, and people took him up on the offer, who should you find fault with? In my opinion, no one.

But, if Brian's employees used their Exhibitor status to get to the front of the line, and abused the "2 per customer" limit to hoard up figures, then they should be faulted. Is there any evidence that they did this? Or did they acquire their figures from others who'd bought them and then took them up on their posted $20 offfer?

05-08-2002, 11:36 AM
You used the words to a Sacrament in what was at best humourous pursuit.

That is offensive.

Like I said, just please refrain out of common respect.

[ 05-08-2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: The Great Darth Mazinga ]

05-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Hey Chris How about you post what 18 carded vintage you bought at the convention from Brian Toys. we'll just compare it to the price on his current list and see what a deal you got!

Your defense of this guy is ridiculous. He is bad for the hobby plain and simple. His actions at the EP2 Toy show which many seen (including me) of buying a case load of the Lucas figures with his employee's going back again and again speak volumes about him and what he does for a living. No matter how professional these Toys dealers try to come across with their Toy adds in magazines and giant websites they all end up showing what flea market types they really are! When they were trying to buy them from people who were walking around with them in the dealers room I started to laugh thinking that they reminded me of carnival workers trying to get some business! I was offered $20.00 a shot for as many as I could sell him. He'll remember me cause I told him to go **** himself! images/icons/shocked.gif

Did you ever notice no matter what information people supply about some of these scumbag dealers there's always the defenders of their actions! So the old verse from two thousand years ago still rings true again and again. "A fool and his Money are soon Parted" I'm sure your one of his best buddies now Chris! Ahhh your so lucky to have friends like that!
By the way Brian's having a sell on vintage figures this week. Best put the 4-sale sign on the house! images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-08-2002, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

05-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by The Great Darth Mazinga:

The point still stands, whatever semantics you want to put to the issue.<font size="2" face="arial">OH PUHLEEEASE!!!! images/icons/rolleyes.gif Stick to the topic. "Religion" is worse than scalping. images/icons/wink.gif

05-08-2002, 03:28 PM
I did ask nicely, I don't see why it has to be an issue.

up2win
05-08-2002, 06:44 PM
I have been reading much on this topic about exhibitors/scalpers being able to get into line first, and I must add this. Not all exhibitor badges are scalpers. What about Suncoast, Gentle Giant, Dave Dorman, Etc. As a matter of fact, there were tons of people who were able to get in line early. Anyone with a special badge could have. For example...there were tons and I mean tons of ASSOCIATE badges in line there. And what were they?? They were fan sites thats what they were. Pure and simple, hard core collectors and fans. And alot of exhibitors and associate badges had fan club lanyards too. So my point is, it was unfortunate that some had gotten more than their fair share, but dont blame the exhibitors for the lack of figures that were around, because there were alot more than them in that line.

Mike
www.deathstarplans.com (http://www.deathstarplans.com)

By the way, from what i understand, anyone with an exhibitor badge or any other badge for that matter was not allowed to line up on Saturday. So who was able to?? FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. Although, I am not sure how they enforced it.

05-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Mike you heard wrong. There were dealers in that line getting figures everday including Saturday!

They were especially hard core and it didn't take a scientist to see figures getting handed over to dealers and then watch there helpers get back in line all day. I did have a few tossed out.

And nobody here is complaing about fan's or collectors or anyone from a website getting the figure's that what they were their for.

The problem is the $125.00 the dealers are charging for it who scammed their way into hoarding as many as possible!

The problem was and is the scalpers/Dealers who were absoloutly taking advantage of the situation and finding their rat like ways to get more figures than they should have, which caused many of attendes to go without! images/icons/mad.gif

Look at ebay several of these dealers who were there have 6 to 10 Auctions up for the Lucas figure.

Don't tell me what I saw and what I know.

I'll add one more thing by Sunday their was thousands of these figures for sale on top of tables and underneath on the exhibitors/Dealers area! Hell one dealer was trying to sell the boxe's they came in! images/icons/mad.gif

So don't go try that rap on anyone. If the actual number was known what Lucas figures went to dealers/exhibitors people would never get over it. images/icons/mad.gif

The fact is right now their are 600 on ebay. These aren't all collectors selling their extra's you know. images/icons/confused.gif

up2win
05-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Dude, just for the sake of argument. I was there every morning at 8 AM. So I can tell you that it wasnt all dealers. As for dealers selling. From what I understand they werent allowed to sell the figure at the convention. I did see signs from dealers asking to buy, but none for selling. And you are gonna tell me all that were in the line were exhibitor passes. You are sadly mistakin. And again, Ill repeat it....all exhibitor passes were not dealers. But I must admit...everytime there is something hard to find, everyone blames it on scalpers. No one takes it into consideration that collectors buy up hard to find stuff too. I am in no way shape or form a sclaper of anything, just tired of the same old argument.

Mike
www.deathstarplans.com (http://www.deathstarplans.com)

And thanks for the response, but try and be alot less cocky next time bro!

[ 05-08-2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: up2win ]

sithlord424
05-08-2002, 08:24 PM
THE DEALERS WERE SELLING THE SACUL FIG IN THE HALL.I KNOW BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE I GOT MINE.I PAID $25 EACH AND BOUGHT TWO.ONE FOR ME ONE FOR MY KID.I WAITED IN LINE SATURDAY AND AFTER WATCHING THREE GUYS WALK OUT WITH FULL CASES OF THEM I KNEW I WAS SCREWED.HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO WALK OUT WITH FULL CASES,WERE THE EMPLOYEES OF THE STORE BLIND? OR THEY DID NOT GIVE A RATS A**.THIS WAS THE BEST DEAL I KNEW I WOULD GET BECAUSE I SAW THREE OTHER SCALPERS SELLING THEM FOR $40-$75 A POP.AND THIS WAS SATURDAY AT NOON.

Ed3
05-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by sithlord424:
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO WALK OUT WITH FULL CASES,WERE THE EMPLOYEES OF THE STORE BLIND? OR THEY DID NOT GIVE A RATS A**.<font size="2" face="arial">I saw a lot of people walking out with cases--but that's all they were, cases. Not "cases of figures" but just the cardboard boxes the figures had come in. The store tables were using these as overgrown shopping bags for people with big merchandise orders and were probably just happy to be rid of the used cardboard. Rest assured that nobody bought a full sealed case of figures.

05-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Mike I guess you can't read very well. Nobody said it was only dealers! And if no one was enforcing the 2 only rule do you think they were walking the dealers room making sure every dealer was being a good flea market scumbag and not selling them! Get Real DUDE! From what you understand they were all sold to happy collectors who hoarded them for theirselves and the world is one big happy diorama!. And if I was you I'd go back and read the entire post. I got two of the figures so this isn't a case of the spoiled kid not getting his! images/icons/tongue.gif

My extra figure went to a board member at cost. And even though I do have one I certainly think it's unfair that people that went their couldn't even get one because of the scum you call blameless. Much less all the people that couldn't go that want one too without having to pay a ridiculous amount for it. I guess your just not one to care about anybody but yourself! That's fine there's plenty like you in the World! images/icons/frown.gif

So by your education of being there at 8:00am everyday you saw no dealers buying them or selling them or hoarding them. Everyone else is just dreaming what they saw and the 600 on ebay aren't real either and Brians Toys isn't selling them for $125.00 as well! images/icons/confused.gif

The only thing I can say is What Mr Hand said to his students in the great movie Fast times at Ridgemont high! "What are you on Dope!" images/icons/shocked.gif

PS Cocky is my way. You need not take offense! images/icons/wink.gif

[ 05-08-2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

sithlord424
05-08-2002, 08:35 PM
NO THEY WERE SEALED CASES OF FIGS,I KNOW I SEEN IT AND I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES.THE THREE WERE TOGETHER AS A GROUP TWO HAD SEALED CASES AND THE OTHER HAD FIGS PILED IN THE BOX HE HAD TO HAVE HAD AT LEAST EIGHT.AND OF COURSE TEN MINUTES LATER THEY ANNOUNCED THEY WERE SOLD OUT FOR THE DAY.

up2win
05-08-2002, 08:46 PM
OK....one last attempt at this. First of all, u cannot assume all 600 on ebay are from scalpers. Some collectors may just want to get a little bit of the money back that they spent. As for the scalping in the hallway, many people were doing it. There was no title for them. Some may have been exhibitors, some were definately collectors also.I do not condone the multi purchasing that people were doing, although maybe they are not all to blame.I guess i just believe if its allowed it will be done. I also do not sit and frown about what Brianstoys are selling there figure for, there his figures:) I do blame the ones who pay that though, but that there choice. So hopefully this time you can see where I am coming from.

Later,
Mike

cmaybur
05-08-2002, 08:53 PM
I certainly think it's unfair that people that went their couldn't even get one...

Absolutely... anyone who went to the celebration and could not get a figure, especially if they waited in the line for any amount of time, has a legitimate gripe with Wizards.

Much less all the people that couldn't go that want one too without having to pay a ridiculous amount for it.

It was a celebration exclusive... if you didn't go to the celebration, you have no expectation of being able to acquire the figure for any set price. But there's no reason to pay an exorbinate price for it. Just wait some time, and the price will undoubtedly come down as it has for every other hyped "rarity" so far.

[ 05-08-2002, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Chris Maybury ]

musasa
05-08-2002, 11:28 PM
Yes, that's true - we can't place all the blame on dealers. It seems everyone these days is on the Ebay bandwagon. Here's a nice little story. When I got my store merchandise on Saturday, I spoke with the attendant there. She proudly stated that she was going to get her 2 figs on Sunday and then head straight to Ebay. No shame at all. She was essentially gloating. So, lot's of folks picked up the figs to make a few bucks, I think.

Anyway, this is all going to calm down in a few weeks after most of the casual sellers have done their thing. Hopefully, prices will fall.

Mr_Stimp
05-09-2002, 05:52 AM
Hey turn off the caps lock.

Just want to say, its just a figure, if you don't want to pay 125 for the thing then don't. Figures are only worth what people pay for them.

Darth_Ray
05-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Organizers should have monitored the situation better. You should have gotten your ticket stamped with purchase and there should have been enough made for everyone. Scalpers took advantage of the situation. If we refuse to pay scalper prices, then they lose. Don't buy from them...

Darth Ray

technopimp
05-09-2002, 07:17 AM
I agree with the last statement...it was partly the fault of the incredibly poor organization of the convention and staff. They could have set up very easy (and cheap) methods) of keeping the limit at 2 per PERSON, not time through the line.

I was with a friend who had accidently left his wallet in the car (which he discovered while we were in line for the figures). I offered to lend him the money so he wouldn't have to get out of line, and I told him to get whatever he was going to anyway and I'd just put it on my credit card. I was unsure of how well the store would like me buying essentially 4 figures, so when we got up there we started explaining what had happened, and I asked politely if it was alright to combine his order with mine. I made a point of saying how we were each only getting 2 figures. She looked at me blankly, and asked "so how many figures do you want totally?" I said 4, and she got them. I think if I had said 24 she wouldn't have cared. So it shows that people could have taken advantage of their apathy towards the limits. (Even though I was not).

bobafett14
05-09-2002, 07:30 PM
I went to the fan club store early Fri. AM, got right in with my Associate badge-no line, got my 2 figs-although I could've easily got more that morning. Also some of the people working the booths had no knowledge of SW whatsoever, one lady was holding the standups and yelling "Is this Jango Fett? is this the one you want?"

For those that weren't at C2, to paint the picture, you had a line to a point, and then you got dumped into a huge room with a row of tables at one end, you just jumped into the pile of people and started waving the $!!!!! By Sun. they had a "cash for figures only" line. And also Sun. a lot of the tables were ship home(you bought the fig, and they would ship it to your house) so they made an attempt-however small-to control the scalping issue.

05-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bobafett14:
By Sun. they had a "cash for figures only" line. And also Sun. a lot of the tables were ship home(you bought the fig, and they would ship it to your house) so they made an attempt-however small-to control the scalping issue.<font size="2" face="arial">They had a cash only line on Friday also, I had two different friends go into the store and get their figs, both went to a guy literally screaming "Figures. Cash Only. Figures. Cash Only." I didn't go until Sunday Morning, didn't have a bit of trouble with the cash only line then either.

jeff

JoshEEE
05-10-2002, 04:30 PM
All I have to say was this was the most disorganzied mess I have ever seen (and my job requires that I attend conventions regularly).

They had no way of telling whether or not you bought more than your two (this could have been easily accomplished by a hole-punch in your badge)...

I saw countless people buy 2, hand them to a buddy move to the next line, buy 2 more and so on. That was just on ONE day.

I bought 2 myself. My girlfriend bought 2. That was Friday. Saturday I came in and bought two more for two friends that were unable to attend the convention. They get them for 10 bucks each. I do NOT scalp. But I did abuse their "2 per person limit" now didn't I?

But NOT for Ebay....

As many of you know, Episode II tickets went on sale Friday, and after trying frantically to get a ticket to the midnight show in Seattle at the best theater, I struck out.

So what did I do? I traded my extra Jorg Sacul figure to someone straight across for two tickets to the sold out show.

Had they enforced the limit, I never would have been able to do this. I'm not a scalper, but I took advantage of the system (or lack of one) in order to get into the movie on the 1st show opening night. The person I traded with avoided the scumbag scalpers on Ebay selling this figure for 80 bucks by trading me the tickets.

I think we both won....but I realize a lot of fans lost out on their chance to buy figures because the system was so easy to abuse. Dealers, with much less noble motives than seeing Episode II at it's first showing were buying them by the case, and no one did a DAMN thing about it.

Hopefully next time, they'll plan this a little better.

Darth_Kenobi
05-10-2002, 05:37 PM
The limit was two per PURCHASE not two per person. I got extras for other people who couldn't go to the convention. One thing that I figured was that the figures were going to go fast along with other merchandise that they had (Badge set, Poster) so I got in line early at 4. I saw people walking out with cases but they were empty. A couple of times they (Store workers) would move a load of figures in sealed cases to some other location, I don't know what they were doing with them but I will assume they had moved them to a storage area for the next day.
I also know that dealers were selling figures. A couple of guys I was behind waiting for the autos. pull service were talking about buying them from a dealer. Here is they conversation:

Guy 1 "I'm not going to wait for the store, I'm going to that guy with the videos where we bought some before"

Guy2 "Okay, but remember to say you are Dave's Friend."

That dealer was selling them for $20.00.

05-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Scalpers, Brians Toys, ...dont buy the products they offer and see how long they stay in business......as far as C2 it suckedand thats the bottom line.

Jason_Coulston
05-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Brian's Toys has been in business for a long time, and they'll continue to thrive. They were written up in a major financial magazine as a healthy model of a collectibles-based business. I won't post their profits here on the board, but they're in fine shape with a robust revenue-generating business model. Good for them.

I'll continue to buy from Brian's Toys because they have a professional and courteous staff and a great selection of vintage items. In fact, I think I'll give them a call right now because I'm looking for a particular piece that I can never find on eBay.

05-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Haa haaa ha! A fool and his money are soon parted images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif !

cmaybur
05-12-2002, 07:19 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

If by "fool", you mean someone who acquires quality pieces for his collection at reasonable prices, then I guess I am also a "fool". I have made numerous purchases from Brian Semling, and have always been pleased with what I've received, and I will happily continue to do business with him in the future.

05-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Yep if you call reasonable price's like $125.00 for a $10.00 Ep2 convention George Lucas, ( a quality piece?-yeh-sure it is!)

Then Yes it applies to you! images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

Mr_Stimp
05-13-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by ALF:
Haa haaa ha! A fool and his money are soon parted images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif !<font size="2" face="arial">WHo is more foolish, the fool who sells it for 125 or the fool who buys it for 125?

IF no one would pay 125 then it would be at a cheeper price.

05-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Without hesitation it's the person who buys it! images/icons/shocked.gif

But that doesn't make the dealer any gift to humanity either! images/icons/mad.gif

Hey Stimpy, I think we traded a while ago( a year or two).I got a Y-wing from ya but can't remember what I sent to you.I think maybe it was some harder to find FF figs. Anywho I remember we traded at store price for store price which is a damn fine way to do it!

rmschneider104
05-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by sithlord424:
NO THEY WERE SEALED CASES OF FIGS,I KNOW I SEEN IT AND I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES.THE THREE WERE TOGETHER AS A GROUP TWO HAD SEALED CASES AND THE OTHER HAD FIGS PILED IN THE BOX HE HAD TO HAVE HAD AT LEAST EIGHT.AND OF COURSE TEN MINUTES LATER THEY ANNOUNCED THEY WERE SOLD OUT FOR THE DAY.<font size="2" face="arial">sithlord424,

Welcome to the forums. Any chance you can post without all caps in the future? Just hard to read.

Thanks for considering.

Mr_Stimp
05-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Without hesitation it's the person who buys it! images/icons/shocked.gif

But that doesn't make the dealer any gift to humanity either! images/icons/mad.gif

Hey Stimpy, I think we traded a while ago( a year or two).I got a Y-wing from ya but can't remember what I sent to you.I think maybe it was some harder to find FF figs. Anywho I remember we traded at store price for store price which is a damn fine way to do it!<font size="2" face="arial">Heck I don't remember, I have trouble remembering what I ate yesterday. images/icons/grin.gif I do remember trading the y-wing to ya, for what I really don't recall.

Jason_Coulston
05-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Haa haaa ha! A fool and his money are soon parted images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif !<font size="2" face="arial">Very good post, ALF. Well constructed, thought out, and reasonable. I can see you know nothing about me, so maybe I too should go ahead and make ridiculous comments, for posterity's sake of course.

What you fail to realize, is that neither Chris Maybury nor myself would ever fork over $125 for some stupid convention-exclusive figure. I know I would, however, fork over $125 for a nice carded ESB Hoth Stormtrooper, which I've done with Brian's Toys. Don't blame the vintage collectors like myself for the completist mentality that forces usually reasonable thinking people to buy really crappy figures at over-inflated prices.

[ 05-13-2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Jason Coulston ]

05-13-2002, 02:15 PM
So jason your point of view is it's okay to pay crazy inflated price's for vintage Star Wars from Brian's but not the Lucas figure? And your comment of you would never pay Brian's asking price for the EP2 Lucas figure is also a bit funny. Do you think someone who charges $125.00 FOR A $10.00 figure the day after it was released is going to be fair to people on other items he is selling!-Oh-Pa-Lease! You got some learning to do my friend! So I guess as long as it's an item you need you can justify the crazy high price you pay! I guess you have to do that or look sorta.....well you know.. You can post a million times and your not going to make anybody believe that Brian's toys price for new items or rare Star Wars items are reasonable! How about this price of $2500.00 Just for the 3 inch plastic telescoping lightsaber for the vintage Vader! Hell it doesen't even come with the Vader! Sweet deal huh..You better hurry before it's gone! I'm so happy you have a collector friend in Brian's Toys.Just keep the money going his way and I'm sure you'll have a great relationship forever! The Fool and his money comment stands Tall. images/icons/tongue.gif

Oh and by the way, the Link to your ebay Auctions on your name at the bottom is damn tacky,and also against the rules here I believe! images/icons/mad.gif

[ 05-13-2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

cmaybur
05-13-2002, 05:04 PM
So jason your point of view is it's okay to pay crazy inflated price's for vintage Star Wars from Brian's...

No, that's not what he wrote. Why don't you try actually reading what we wrote instead of what you want him to have written. His point is that Brian Semling's prices for vintage items are usually reasonable, and he cited the ESB Hoth Stormtrooper as an example. I will cite another. I purchased from Brian at the Celebration a mint (C-9.5+) 31-back Han Hoth for $100.00. I thought that was more than a fair price for that piece.

Do you think someone who charges $125.00 FOR A $10.00 figure the day after it was released is going to be fair to people on other items he is selling!

Yes.

You got some learning to do my friend!

No offense, but I don't think either Jason or I have anything to learn from you about Star Wars collecting.

So I guess as long as it's an item you need you can justify the crazy high price you pay!

What crazy high price?

I guess you have to do that or look sorta.....well you know...

No, I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm so happy you have a collector friend in Brian's Toys.Just keep the money going his way and I'm sure you'll have a great relationship forever!

As long as he continues to keep the quality vintage pieces coming my way at fair prices, then I suppose we will have a "great relationship". images/icons/rolleyes.gif

I am finished with this "discussion". It's like trying to debate with a cinder block, except less productive.

[ 05-14-2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Chris Maybury ]

05-13-2002, 07:02 PM
Ha- Haa! Now All I have to do is cut and paste my previous remarks!

Haa haaa ha! A fool and his money are soon parted! images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

Bill_McBride
05-14-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by freudguy:
At this point, I left the room and got in line (fourth after an oriental woman ran around me and let her companions in front of me. It was then I realized that all of the people around me were the "exhibitors" (dealers/scalpers). They were given early access to the store before the attendees were actually allowed inside.<font size="2" face="arial">Here is a news flash for you: NOT ALL THE PEOPLE WITH EXHIBITOR BADGES WERE DEALERS. I was one of the "companions" you mentioned who got around you in line that morning. (I was probably the guy who was "raising heck" about the time. I can also describe the people I was standing with if it makes you feel any better. ~I think I was the 3rd person through the door on Fri.) The point is that you were probably the 1st regular attendee (ie. non-scalper/dealer) to get in the store on Friday, so you have no excuse to complain. And if you had such strong feelings about us getting in, then you should have said something about it. But obviously you were more concerned about getting in the store before anyone else, so you kept your mouth shut. (Tough choice I know images/icons/wink.gif )
The only chance that any of the exhibitors had to go to the store during the day, was early at 0900. (ie. BEFORE the doors were opened to the public) Otherwise, as an "exhibitor" you have to work your booth, or actually do something all day. It's not like you can close up shop, or shut down a panel to go stand in line for 3 hours images/icons/wink.gif I can tell you that every major collector who was there, with an exhibitors badge, got in the store early. (and I am pretty sure we are not all scalpers)
You are nothing more than someone who takes the moral high-ground on the internet, but doesn't have the "stones" to put it into practice in real life. If this all bothered you so much, then you should have said something to us, gotten out of line, and stood outside with everyone else. Instead it makes more sense to you to sneak into a show early, jump in line for the store, then wait until you get back home to b!tch about all the "scalpers" on the internet. (Like 99.9% of all the other "anti-scalpers" do)

Bill

ps. Funny to see how many collectors-turn-scalpers were at the show. I saw a LOT of people selling figs to dealers for $20-$25 a pop. I would like to mention one guy in particular (wearing a 3-day, FC pass) who I saw pulling out 6 figures at once on Friday, and selling them to a dealer for $25 each.....NICE images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-14-2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: sithtoys ]

Bill_McBride
05-14-2002, 08:11 AM
How about this price of $2500.00 Just for the 3 inch plastic telescoping lightsaber for the vintage Vader! Hell it doesen't even come with the Vader! Sweet deal huh..You better hurry before it's gone! <font size="2" face="arial">I know Brian personally, and I think he is one of the nicest people around. I have bought many things from him via the 'net and at shows, and I have never had a single problem. I highly recommend Brian's Toys to everyone.
You are showing your ignorance of collecting by even making a comment about the DT Vader Brian has for sale. It is one of the nicest examples I have seen in a long time, and $2500 is the going rate for something that there is only 20-25 known to exist. For an example in such pristine condition, you could expect to pay at least $3k. The next thing you know, people will be paying $10k for a silly Boba Fett figure that actually fires it's rocket images/icons/wink.gif

Bill

Jason_Coulston
05-14-2002, 01:13 PM
Since you offered in your last post, can you please guarantee for us that there are more than 25 DT Vaders in existence? Please post your evidence here ASAP, as it would be tremendous news to the vintage community!!!

Let me just make sure I understand the point you are trying to illustrate. You think that because you supposedly paid retail for a DT Darth Vader, that Brian's Toys is overcharging for theirs at $2500? Are you serious with that argument, or are you just tryig to be sarcastic?

Do you think then, that Brian's Toys should sell all of their vintage figures for the original retail price? I guess since you expect them to charge the retail price for Jorg Sacul, then you would expect them to charge original retail for their entire inventory?

If so, that would be fine by me, because I could walk in and buy every piece of vintage merchandise they've got on the floor. Since, of course, carded figures would range from $1.00 - $3.00.

I'm with Chris on this one, I think I'm going to stay out of this debate for the rest of the time. You've helped me remember why I stick to the vintage crowd. Over there people listen to reason and usually make sense when they're trying to make a point.

[ 05-14-2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Jason Coulston ]

05-14-2002, 05:59 PM
I guess I'll have to get the Rainman images/icons/cool.gif or maybe Forrest Gump images/icons/smile.gif to explain to you the whole thread Jason.Do you even know what the topic is? images/icons/confused.gif I hope you don't operate a motor vehicle or even a grocery cart without some assistance! images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/confused.gif

Bill_McBride
05-14-2002, 06:33 PM
If you want to pay $2500.00 dollars for a toothpick size piece of plastic well that's your right.But don't go telling me it's a good deal. I paid $1.79 for mine.And their is more than 25 of them I guarantee it.
And by the way their's bootleggs of all those sabers that sell for $25.00 or less.I would think if you couldn't live without it a bootlegg would be fine. Exactly where does the insanity stop. If you can justify $2500.00 for a loose 3" piece of plastic saber I guess you'll go for about anythng!

<font size="2" face="arial">I think I am with Chris and Jason on this. It is pointless to have a debate with someone who doesn't actually know anything about the subject.

Bill

05-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah it is pointless, cause Your Stupid for paying what you do for Toys from Brians ("the Nice guy who will be your friend! images/icons/rolleyes.gif "). Haa-Haaa images/icons/tongue.gif Wait till you try and sell them back to him at 10% of what you paid.
If you think you actually got him any new customers from your little Brian's my hero speech your so sadly mistaken.
This board is full of educated collectors that know what a scalper he is and what he represents to the Hobby. The Lucas figure is a perfect example of what wrong with this hobby! The other part that's wrong is collectors who buy from these scum and over pay for merchandise and then have to justify it by calling the dealer their Hero.
images/icons/rolleyes.gif
Hey I've got the headlines for your fanzine; Boy Genius buys ultra Rare Lucas figure from friendly Brians Toys for $125.00 and waits to make a million! HaaaHaaaHaaa-What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! images/icons/grin.gif

05-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Bill, I would expect Brian to be nice to all of his customers. Why should anybody expect anything less. Nobody said he was an unkind jerk!

I'm not new to this hobby. I've been collecting since 1978 and own every vintage toy MIB. I've traded Toys with the biggest collectors in the world.

Some of us go way back and were trading Buying and collecting Star wars Toys for more than 20 years before Brians Toys even existed! So you don't need to tell me how rare some Star wars toy is.

You may appreciate the fact that your collection is worth a ton of money I could care less. It's not why I collect now or why I did it then.

So many people are collecting based on how much money their going to make it's a joke. It wasan't until these Toy dealers started posting insane made up prices for toys that started in the late 1980's and almost 10 years after they first came out did the prices actually start to rise.
It was all artifically created by Toy dealers back then and continues to this day. Dealers now on Ebay by the millions write descriptions on brand new released figures like they were selling the Lost ARK.

I have been in this collecting World and watched it go further and further down the toilet thanks to the many Nice guy Toy dealers who turned a Fun Hobby into a business for themselves of taking advantage of Fans of the Star Wars movies.

If you want to pay $2500.00 dollars for a toothpick size piece of plastic well that's your right.But don't go telling me it's a good deal. I paid $1.79 for mine.And their is more than 25 of them I guarantee it.

And by the way their's bootleggs of all those sabers that sell for $25.00 or less.I would think if you couldn't live without it a bootlegg would be fine. Exactly where does the insanity stop. If you can justify $2500.00 for a loose 3" piece of plastic saber I guess you'll go for about anythng!

If you think as I posted above that it's okay for somebody to buy a $10.00 figure(EP2-Lucas figure) and sell it for $125.00 and that's fair well it looks like your not alone, but that doesn't make it right. I'm from a time were we call that stealing!
Whether you know it or not this kind of situation brings out the worst in people.But there's so much bad in this Hobby now I'm not sure it will ever recover!
One thing for sure you'll never have every Star Wars item and even if you do you can't take it with you. images/icons/tongue.gif

[ 05-14-2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

05-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Here is a news flash for you: NOT ALL THE PEOPLE WITH EXHIBITOR BADGES WERE DEALERS.

I know that.

I was one of the "companions" you mentioned who got around you in line that morning. (I was probably the guy who was "raising heck" about the time. I can also describe the people I was standing with if it makes you feel any better. ~I think I was the 3rd person through the door on Fri.)

Yeah, I know who you are. So does everybody else that was there. The security guards REALLY know who you are and were happy to see you leave for a little while.

The point is that you were probably the 1st regular attendee (ie. non-scalper/dealer) to get in the store on Friday, so you have no excuse to complain.

I am informing people that dealers were the first in line, which I still say is horsecrap.

And if you had such strong feelings about us getting in, then you should have said something about it. But obviously you were more concerned about getting in the store before anyone else, so you kept your mouth shut. (Tough choice I know images/icons/wink.gif )

I'm not stupid. I didn't plan on getting in early, I just happened upon it. I took advantage of it, like anyone else would have. I didn't care about getting there before everybody else, I just wanted to get my stuff so I could enjoy the rest of the weekend without having to worry about going to the store - and I did images/icons/wink.gif

The only chance that any of the exhibitors had to go to the store during the day, was early at 0900. (ie. BEFORE the doors were opened to the public) Otherwise, as an "exhibitor" you have to work your booth, or actually do something all day. It's not like you can close up shop, or shut down a panel to go stand in line for 3 hours images/icons/wink.gif I can tell you that every major collector who was there, with an exhibitors badge, got in the store early. (and I am pretty sure we are not all scalpers)

I didn't say all of you are scalpers - read the post, pal. The rest of the above is known, no need to repeat it.

You are nothing more than someone who takes the moral high-ground on the internet, but doesn't have the "stones" to put it into practice in real life.

What good would it have been to complain about it?
Nothing would have happened at all. You saw what happened when you complained about not getting in at the scheduled time - NOTHING (though they did keep shuffling the time, NOT because of your griping). And about not having the "stones", it took stones for me to stay in there knowing I could possibly be told to leave. I just didn't stay for the store, I walked around and checked out some of the exhibits. You don't know me, don't judge me. I am not judging all of the people I saw in line, but I did see people I was in line with hoarding some figures and one of them selling them later on in the weekend.

If this all bothered you so much, then you should have said something to us, gotten out of line, and stood outside with everyone else. Instead it makes more sense to you to sneak into a show early, jump in line for the store, then wait until you get back home to b!tch about all the "scalpers" on the internet. (Like 99.9% of all the other "anti-scalpers" do)

Again, b!tching would have gotten me nothing. I didn't wait until I got home to gripe about it either. You weren't there when I saw dealers selling Jorg figs later, your ears would have burned (and no, my son was not with me during this).

I don't know what you peddle. I don't care. I didn't say ALL of the people there were scalpers. If you spent half the time you spend talking to read and listen, you would have seen that.
And I am going to tell people what I saw and what I think, the same freedoms that you have.

You know, you incenuate that us "anti-scalpers" are cry-babies waiting to get home to b!tch from behind the mas of the internet. Horsecrap. I was in a situation that griping would not have benefitted anybody and I would have been pegged as a bigger mouth than you. I told all of my friends and acquaintances that I was with and met along the way about the fact that the dealers got first dibs. The majority of the responses were similar to mine.

If we're judging people, pal, you sound like an elitist snob that thinks he is the end-all/be-all of SW toy knowledge. If what Alf says is true, he would probably know what he is talking about. And so do I. I have been fascinated with SW toys and collectibles for the entirety of the SW phenomenon. We don't need someone like you berating us. Plus, there are more of us than there are of you images/icons/wink.gif

If you would like to discuss this in person, see you at Celebration 3.

05-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Hey Bill/sithtoys, I see you had to jump on the Jorg Sacul Ebay wagon yourself images/icons/grin.gif

Wow, $91 as of right now..."Impressive" images/icons/wink.gif

Is that one you bought Friday morning? images/icons/tongue.gif

[ 05-15-2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: freudguy ]

05-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Freudguy, Nice one. images/icons/smile.gif It's good to know their's a few nice guy collectors still left. It's what I figured on most of these guys defending Brian's toys. They do the same thing as him so they need to come on here and defend him by saying he's doing nothing wrong! Especially since he's their Idol!
What a bunch of Scumbags! images/icons/mad.gif

Ed3
05-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Italicaized text originally posted by freudguy:
Here is a news flash for you: NOT ALL THE PEOPLE WITH EXHIBITOR BADGES WERE DEALERS.

I know that.

The point is that you were probably the 1st regular attendee (ie. non-scalper/dealer) to get in the store on Friday, so you have no excuse to complain.

I am informing people that dealers were the first in line, which I still say is horsecrap.<font size="2" face="arial">Only some of the people in the line at 9am on Friday were 'dealers' and so "informing people that dealers were the first in line" is more of that horse product you mentioned. Every exhbitor, even the guys handing out Doritos 3-Ds, had the same badge. Are you saying that you can't be a fan and still be working at the Celebration?

The only chance for exhibitors to go to the store was first thing in the morning. Some, a tiny fraction of the total number, chose to do so. Nothing sold out Friday morning and every person was subject to the 2-per limit on Sacul figures.

Beyond "I snuck in and it sucks that other people were legitimately ahead of rule-violating little ol' me" I'm not sure what your real point is here.

[ 05-15-2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Ed3 ]

05-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Only some of the people in the line at 9am on Friday were 'dealers' and so "informing people that dealers were the first in line" is more of that horse product you mentioned. Every exhbitor, even the guys handing out Doritos 3-Ds, had the same badge. Are you saying that you can't be a fan and still be working at the Celebration?

No kidding. Are you guys that are berating me reading my freaking post? I didn't say all of them were dealers. I didn't even say that all of dealers were scalpers. I know there were exhibitors there who are actually fans. I talked to them and made a few new friends.

The only chance for exhibitors to go to the store was first thing in the morning. Some, a tiny fraction of the total number, chose to do so. Nothing sold out Friday morning and every person was subject to the 2-per limit on Sacul figures.

How many times must you guys reiterate yourselves. I know that it was some people's only chance to go to the store. Let me yell this - "I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST EXHIBITORS". I'm mad that dealers were allowed in first and some of them chose to scalp the Jorg figs. I SAW THEM BUYING MORE THAN 2 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Beyond "I snuck in and it sucks that other people were legitimately ahead of rule-violating little ol' me" I'm not sure what your real point is here.

Well, Ed, you haven't read the thread if you do not understand my point. I was telling people that dealers were allowed in the store first and that some of the dealers took this opportunity to go around the "2-per" Jorg rule and later scalped them.

I could give a rat's --- if I was first in line or not. I just wanted fellow collectors to know that scalpers (no, not dealers & exhibitors in general) were allowed first dibs on store merchandise.

Now, who else wants to do some name-calling and repeat the same arguments again? Come on, this rule-violating little ol' me with no stones can take it.

Bill_McBride
05-15-2002, 05:30 PM
[QBIf you would like to discuss this in person, see you at Celebration 3.[/QB]<font size="2" face="arial">Like I said....You made a choice to stand there, and get in early with the rest of the "exhibitors" (which you obviously didn't know what that meant when you started this thread, or you would have said that in the beginning)..you might want to go back and re-read your own post. images/icons/wink.gif
And...PLEASE, you really expect me to take you seriously when you don't have the b@lls to say something in real life ? LMAO You didn't say anything to me while I was standing there, so by all means continue to keep your trap shut. The difference between people like you and me, is that I am not afraid to say what I think to people in public. (Like to the security guard when they changed the time for entry 4 (FOUR)times)
If you want to discuss anything that bad, why wait ? I live in N.Va. and I go to every major toy show in the world each year. Let me know the next show you are attending and I am sure we could meet up so you could stand there and say nothing again images/icons/tongue.gif

Bill

wooten
05-21-2002, 02:05 PM
The Lucas figure is a perfect example of what wrong with this hobby!<font size="2" face="arial">I realize I'm late...but...

You're exactly right. The whole debate about the Lucas figure does show exactly what's wrong with the hobby...if collectors educated themselves and became more resourceful, as well as stop carrying on for days about anyone who sells something at more than they might pay, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. No one likes to hear this, of course, because it's far easier to blame someone else than it is to try to outwork someone.

The snap judgements some of you folks make always crack me up. People seem to see anyone with figures besides themselves (or people they know) must be scalpers, especially if they have more than a couple examples in hand. I can't count how many times I've heard someone complain about seeing a guy in a store with a cart full of stuff instantly referred to as a scalper, only to later read this person read off a cart full of stuff they bought in their latest score. Sure, it's for your collection, but who's to say the other guy isn't a collector?

ah well, that's another rant entirely :^)

-John

up2win
05-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Thats the same exact thought that I have always had. Only i was always too lazy to type it. Well said WOOTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

JohnA
05-21-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sithtoys:
(I was probably the guy who was "raising heck" about the time. I can also describe the people I was standing with if it makes you feel any better. ~I think I was the 3rd person through the door on Fri.)<font size="2" face="arial">LOL!! When I first read that statement I was wondering why it sounded do familiar. I culdn't remember for the life of me who told me that. Ya know Bill, you're a big troublemaker. images/icons/tongue.gif

This rant is really too funny. I'm late too but like Wooten said get over it guys. Yeah, some dealers bought and resold, I even saw some people selling at tables, but there's an easy solution. Don't buy from them!! They have set prices. Try your luck on eBay. There are a few new pieces I would like for my collection, even some vintage, that I won't buy from dealers b/c I know it's too pricey. I get over it and the hunt continues. The funny thing is half of the vintage collectcors I know ended up w/ these things and don't even really care. They were for the convention but they really aren't the be-al-end-all of collecting. Look at how the price of Theater Edition Luke dropped over the years. If you guys could learn some patience the price WILL fall. Your problems are you have to have it NOW. I saw a guy pay over $200 on eBay for a Nikto Jedi figure 2 weeks before it came out. If the fool would have learned patience he/she could have had it for $5.99. I see so many of those things it's ridiculous. Listen to Yoda "Control, you must learn Control"!!

John

Jason_Coulston
05-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Ahh . . . breaths of fresh air from level-headed vintage collectors.

Too bad you guys weren't here earlier, somebody on these boards claims he can "guarantee" there are more authentic DT Vaders in existence than previously thought. No proof as of yet, but we're all still waiting.

Bill_McBride
05-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by John J. Alvarez:
images/icons/tongue.gif[/IMG]

<font size="2" face="arial">Yes, I am a big troublemaker, this is true. I tried to buy all 30,000 Sacul figs on Friday, to scalp them, but they wouldn't let me. images/icons/grin.gif (At least I have the b@lls to speak up about the things that bother me.... unlike the crybaby who started this thread.)
Please... just a thought for everyone who had such a bad time at C2: PLEASE stay home for C3. I am going to plan on having a good time, and I don't need a bunch of scalper-paranoid crybabies to ruin it for me. (not like I would notice you people anyway... you all seem to be SO QUIET in real life images/icons/wink.gif )

Bill

ps~ anyone who chooses to drink Mag Dog at a SW convention has NO reason to call anyone a "troublemaker" images/icons/wink.gif

JohnA
05-22-2002, 08:58 PM
ps~ anyone who chooses to drink Mag Dog at a SW convention has NO reason to call anyone a "troublemaker" images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I'll have you know I didn't drink any Mad Dog, I was waiting to see if you showed up at the Omni to drink one night. Then I was hoping I could find a store ghetto enough to have it in Indy. I wasn't going to bring it in from Jersey w/o a hazmat license. images/icons/wink.gif I did however have a few IRONCITY's w/ Cable. images/icons/grin.gif Not to shabby.

John

05-23-2002, 07:46 AM
[/QB][/QUOTE]Yes, I am a big troublemaker, this is true. I tried to buy all 30,000 Sacul figs on Friday, to scalp them, but they wouldn't let me. images/icons/grin.gif (At least I have the b@lls to speak up about the things that bother me.... unlike the crybaby who started this thread.)

Wahhhhh, mommy he's calling me names...Make him stop images/icons/wink.gif I had a GREAT time at C2. Looking forward to C3. Hey, maybe myself and some other people on this board can get some collecting tips from you guys while we are there images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

Bill_McBride
05-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by John J. Alvarez:
[QBI'll have you know I didn't drink any Mad Dog, I was waiting to see if you showed up at the Omni to drink one night. [/QB]<font size="2" face="arial">So you were going to make me drink Mad Dog ?!?!?!? And you killed time by drinking Iron City Beer ?!?!?!?!? What is WRONG with you people from NJ images/icons/grin.gif ?!?!?!?!? (Now would be a good time to think about why you collect a lame character Biker Scouts... images/icons/wink.gif )

Bill

JohnA
05-23-2002, 06:10 PM
I had a GREAT time at C2. Looking forward to C3. Hey, maybe myself and some other people on this board can get some collecting tips from you guys while we are there images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/tongue.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Did you miss all of the collector panels at C2? Perhaps you were too busy consoling your friend's who were crying b/c they couldn't get a Jorg figure. After all not everyone could sneak in early. images/icons/wink.gif If you would have taken the time to watch one of the presentations you might have learned something. So you're right, there is always C3.

John

05-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Haa-haaa Sith Toys, nothing like a Drunk moron making threats to people on Star Wars websites and spending every dime he earns(7-11 job) on over priced toys to try and be somebody.

Let me tell you something Home-E-the clown, I'll be at the next convention so just put Your XXXL shirt on with a name on it and I'll be happy to introduce myself to you tough guy.

You should be more worried about your future and what Flea Market your going to be selling all those worthless toys you overpaid for so you can change the oil in your Pinto wagon! images/icons/smile.gif

This just in: Remarks made by Sithtoys at the EP2 convention; Hey man I got 5 vintage carded figures from Brians Toys for only $3600.00. Wow I'm like a big collector now and Brian and me are like good friends now. He even sends me list with new items for sale. Wow man, I'm really SMART. I got these figures for $3.00 dollars under book price and Brian said it was a great deal so I know it gotta be true! I'm going to have all them vintage figures some day and then I'll be a big man....I'll prove to everybody that I'm a big collector and Someday I'll buy that DT Darth Vader and then I'll be like leo in Titantic and then I'll be king of the world........Haa-Haaaa-Haaaa-Haaaaa!................What a Jerk! images/icons/tongue.gif

[ 05-23-2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

Bill_McBride
05-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Wahhhhh, mommy he's calling me names...Make him stop images/icons/wink.gif I had a GREAT time at C2. Looking forward to C3. Hey, maybe myself and some other people on this board can get some collecting tips from you guys while we are there images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/tongue.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Well, you have to complain to someone I guess, (not like you can do it to someone's face, or while you are at the actual event), you might as well run home and cry to your mommy (but you kinda did that with this thread, didn't ya images/icons/tongue.gif )
I am sure we would love to dispense with our volumes of collecting knowledge, but I for one am more interested in finding all the DT Vaders that ALF was talking about. I am saving my money now, because if I can get them for under $2.00 each, then I am gonna buy TWO of them images/icons/wink.gif

Bill

ps~ I heard that the C3 people are looking for someone to head up the "Chicken Little/Paranoid Scalper-I don't know jack about vintage" panel.. you and ALF would be shoe-ins to head things up. (whoops... you might actually have to talk or give an opinion while you are there, in front of people...sorry, better scratch that idea...my bad images/icons/wink.gif ) but I am sure ALF would do wonders with all that he doesn't know.

05-24-2002, 04:23 AM
Hey guys I have an extra Jorg Sacul figure for sale and I'll let him go for the low low price of.

$124.99 and I'll even be happy to pay for shipping. (now thats a deal)

LMK

I almost forgot to mention that I purchased him from Brians Toys at the Celebration II.

I never in my life heard soooo much chicken ***** whining and complaining!!!!! Who really cares what someone pays for an item as long as they enjoy it & it enhances their OWN collection images/icons/frown.gif images/icons/rolleyes.gif images/icons/confused.gif

I hear people bad mouthing Goerge Lucas because he is making alot of money with the films, Bad mouthing Celebration II because they were confused morons at the Convention, Bad mouthing Dealers because their jobs dont pay enough to pay for the toys, and Bad mouthing the people who have the money & pay the prices.

Please start attending Space Above and Beyond Conventions because you are the Folks who ruin it for the rest of us Star Wars fans.

[ 05-24-2002, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: slave40 ]

JohnA
05-24-2002, 06:39 AM
Haa-haaa Sith Toys, nothing like a Drunk moron making threats to people on Star Wars websites and spending every dime he earns(7-11 job) on over priced toys to try and be somebody.

Let me tell you something Home-E-the clown, I'll be at the next convention so just put Your XXXL shirt on with a name on it and I'll be happy to introduce myself to you tough guy.

You should be more worried about your future and what Flea Market your going to be selling all those worthless toys you overpaid for so you can change the oil in your Pinto wagon! images/icons/smile.gif

This just in: Remarks made by Sithtoys at the EP2 convention; Hey man I got 5 vintage carded figures from Brians Toys for only $3600.00. Wow I'm like a big collector now and Brian and me are like good friends now. He even sends me list with new items for sale. Wow man, I'm really SMART. I got these figures for $3.00 dollars under book price and Brian said it was a great deal so I know it gotta be true! I'm going to have all them vintage figures some day and then I'll be a big man....I'll prove to everybody that I'm a big collector and Someday I'll buy that DT Darth Vader and then I'll be like leo in Titantic and then I'll be king of the world........Haa-Haaaa-Haaaa-Haaaaa!................What a Jerk! images/icons/tongue.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Have you ever looked at Bill's collection?? Please follow his link and then come back w/ the rhetoric you just ran. He's one of the nicest guys, if you try to get to know him. He's also knowledgeable enough not to make blind comments like you just did. Tough guy antics aside Bill knows the hobby, maybe you should take the time to learn to "work it" and stop being an *****.

John

JediMAC
05-24-2002, 04:51 PM
The bottom line on this whole STUPID argument is that there should have been a limit of 2 Jorg Sacul figures per person. Period. Hole punch each person's badge for the 2 figures they're allowed, whether they're a Fan Club member, exhibitor, dealer, Steve Sansweet, scalper, SW collecting website member, Brian Semling, or Hayden Christenson. Two per person. If someone wants to bring their entire family of 12 to the convention so he can get 24 figures, fine. It bothered me a little that some of the "dealers" (not exhibitors) got in before "the fans", but if they were only allowed two figures a piece, I wouldn't have a gripe about it.

I fortunately got my figures (as did my wife), but while I was in line, believe me, we saw numerous people going from line to line picking up 2 figures at each stop. We were screaming at one of them to the point that he called his wife over, handed her his 10-12 WOTC bags full of Jorg's, and even gave her his jacket and hat to "change his disguise." We finally called the security guard over and pointed the man out to him and his wife who had snuck off to a far wall to hide. They kicked this fool out of line. Things like that are what made the handling of this exclusive figure idea not work out so well. It WAS poorly orgainized in that respect.

As far as people hollerin' about being patient and not giving in to "scalpers" by paying their high prices...I generally would agree with that point for something being sold at RETAIL, which this figure currently is not, and supposedly never will be. In this situation, many collectors who were not able to attend the convention for whatever reason, still want this figure (especially the completists). Unfortunately they are now forced to hit eBay (or the Trading forums here). Sure, the price might fall a bit down the line, but keep in mind that at approximately 26,000-27,000 pieces, this is supposedly the most limited production run for any post vintage figure other than the Toy Fair Vader.

As much as a hassle as it would've been, I think that somehow everyone who attended the convention should have been guaranteed at least one of these figures. So MANY people - dealers, fans, collectors, etc. - were getting many more than 2 of these guys, that the great majority of Celebration attendees missed out on this collectible, and that's a downright shame.

As for Brian's Toys and vintage collecting...I bought a few items from Brian's several years back, but only because they were running a special on them at EXTREMELY good prices that I couldn't pass up. Great service. I still get his catalog in the mail, and I do see some seriously outrageous prices on some items, especially things that are still available in stores. But vintage is another matter. This stuff is obviously no longer at retail, and is hard to come by, especially if someone is seeking near mint to mint condition. Brian has an excellent selection of vintage stuff and at fairly competitive prices. $2,500 for a DT saber? I wouldn't pay it, but Brian certainly has the right to sell it for that, and I'm sure he will eventually find a happy (rich) buyer for it. Fine. I strongly disagree with Brian's prices on most of the newer stuff, but like I said, if it's at retail, just be patient. It might take you several months, even a year, but you can usually track down what you're looking for. He can sell his stuff for whatever prices he wants though.

Lesson: Not everything is as black and white as some people here are making these issues out to be. The distribution of the Sacul figure was very poorly organized. Way too many people, dealers AND "fans", got more than two each (and yes, I know there technically wasn't a "2 per person" limit, but there should've been). Brian's Toys prices are way too high (IMO) on the newer items so just don't buy them, but he's got a great selection of vintage and other older and rarer items that can be a great asset to many collectors in their searches for these pieces.

There, I've finally said my piece. Now, "can't we all just get along?"

[ 05-24-2002, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: JediMAC ]

Beedo
05-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Lazy? Not willing to work hard? Nah. Just not rich enough, nor have enough time, and too many responsibilities here to be able to afford to fly across six time zones. Complain like crazy we might, but some complaints are valid! images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-24-2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Beedo ]

JosephY
05-28-2002, 07:55 PM

::Snip::

This just in: Remarks made by Sithtoys at the EP2 convention; Hey man I got 5 vintage carded figures from Brians Toys for only $3600.00. ::snip::<font size="2" face="arial">::: The Mood's about to change:::::

Hey....you Pof2 collecting...trailer park living...jealous of everyones collection... little pissant:

Just Because you can't afford vintage carded, prototypes or anything that's actually worth the plastic it's made from, it doesn't give you the right to blast those of us that DO work hard at our jobs to afford a nice collection. Your snide little comments that so far have been aimed at any vintage collector that posts here( Bill, John,Chris) are all just acts of blatant jealousy over the fact that just one nice piece from Bills collection is worth more than your entire collection. Is that Bills fault?? NO it's yours,for either not being willing to spend the money/ make the connections that it requires to build a decent vintage collection. Or for not having the money managment skills that it requires to build a strong collection. It sure doesn't take a lot of money to build a strong vint collection if you know how to make the hobby work for you.But people like you don't see that.All you want to do is to have someone to blame for YOUR lack of enginuity, motivation or funds.
As for the whole "scalper" debate, just because someone makes a profit on something it doesn't make them a scalper.... After all we ARE living in a capitolist system... supply and demand dictate price. So until the collecting community is a communist system there will be those that make a profit selling toys.I've profited by selling some vintage items in the past and will do so again. The money from that will most likely be used to help buy another nice item for my collection. IF dealers were trying to load up on the Jorge Sacul figures, then is was WIZARDS job to keep them from doing so. They're DEALERS, thier JOB is to try to make a living selling toys. IF those 2 extra Saculs pay the electricity and phone for the month, then good for them.BTW I paid a small amount over "cost" for my Jorge's and it was worth every penny because it meant I didn't have to stand in a line for 3 hours that I could have been doing something else with. BTW the dealers that were there,paid over $1200 per booth, in addition to transportation costs and hotel costs etc. Of course I know the concept that dealers actually help the hobby is completely over your head, so I'm not even going to try to explain all of the wonderful items that certain dealers have helped put into my collection(quite a few times with little or no profit made on thier part)You either wouldn't understand what the items were or believe the great prices paid.

Cheers
Joseph

JosephY
05-28-2002, 08:03 PM
BTW, I'm NOT a regular customer of Brians Toys. I However DID make a purchase from him at Cel2 and was more than pleased with the price and condition of the 3 pack that I purchased. He even knocked off over $200 from the cost, he sure as hell DIDN'T have to do that... there were plenty of other 3 pack collectors at Cel 2 and he would have gotten his asking price if he had held out. If he gets any other items I need I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again. images/icons/grin.gif

Joseph

05-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Good for you Joe-SEE-fa, I'll just add you to the Fool and his money are soon parted list. And by the way Moron, I completed my vintage collection 18 years ago. Your obviously the new guy trying to make up for lost time and trying hard to justify paying thousands of bucks for plastic people that are in all those yellow bubbles you have!( or is it the trying to be the big man deal.)

And you and your sorry collectors that showed up in this thread made all the smart *** comments and then had the nerve to even make threats to other members. Did you even bother to read the topic s*** for brains! images/icons/confused.gif

Your comment about the poor dealers tells me all I need to know about you...Gump! The Poor Poor dealers who had to pay for there tables and gas up there Pinto's and old ford vans!.Hey Moron nobody forced then to leave there flea market booths for the weekend! images/icons/tongue.gif Whoa whoa... is the Poor Poor dealer who had to turn around and sell the Luke Besbin figure at the EP2 Convention for a $100.00!( the same one's that are in the store for $6.00) so he could buy fancy shredded cheese for his sandwiches images/icons/tongue.gif . There such nice people! How could I have misjudged them! images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Your comments about Wizard letting the Scumbag dealers buy what they wanted to so it was there fault is ridiculous as well.They put on a great show, and how were they suppose to know these Flea market scumbag bottom feeding dealers were going to take advantage of every micro second they could and keep sneaking in like roaches buying (hoarding) these figures so they could rip-off Star Wars fans and collectors at a later date! Brians Toys now selling this figure for $139.99! images/icons/mad.gif Wow that's cheap!

Your a numnut for even thinking dealers charging insane amounts of money for these toys Help the Hobby in anyway.They sell items at made up prices based on nothing at all except the last fool they whacked. This Hobby was going on probably before you were born Donkey Kong! I was trading with collectors with no such price attached to any item for over 20 years. We traded just for the fun of the hobby NOT for the what it's worth hobby that your in. That's the point that you and your Johnny come lately collectors will never get. And I know your a bunch of Johnny come latelys by just the items you mentioned buying from Brians Toys that were a dime a dozen not even 10 years ago. Before the Dealers came in and ruined the Hobby.

[ 05-28-2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: ALF ]

05-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Watch out Joe. I read ALF's profile & he is a karate instructor. He may give you & other vintage collectors a judo chop to the groin if you don't trade him a Jorg for a Count Dooku:)

Haa haaa ha! A fool and his money are soon parted! (about Chris Maybury)

Jon:
Why-he bought vintage figures-not new figures at high prices.

I'm not new to this hobby. I've been collecting since 1978 and own every vintage toy MIB. I've traded Toys with the biggest collectors in the world.

Jon: Proove it. Drop some names.

Some of us go way back and were trading Buying and collecting Star wars Toys for more than 20 years before Brians Toys even existed!

Jon: Isn't that kind of impossible when you sound like your 18? You sound pretty passionite about new crap that most veteran collectors can care less if people "scalp" this stuff or not.

So you don't need to tell me how rare some Star wars toy is.

Jon: Why, you cried about how rare a Jorg Sacul is & how everyone who want one should get one for $10.

If you think as I posted above that it's okay for somebody to buy a $10.00 figure(EP2-Lucas figure) and sell it for $125.00 and that's fair well it looks like your not alone, but that doesn't make it right. I'm from a time were we call that stealing!

Jon: No, its called funding your collection wisely. Why the hell are you going to give a stranger a $100 figure for $10? I actually gave a guy who claimed to be a collector an extra 12" Darth Maul at TRU when they were hot to find out he sold it to a local comic store for more money. How the hell do I know if some alleged collector is going to take a Sacul for $10 & not sell it for more?

Originally posted by ALF (about Sithtoys):

Jon: All the karate that Cosmo Kramer taught you would not help you in a fight with Bill. I have no idea what you look like, but Bill looks like he could hold is own pretty damn good from the size of him.

[ 05-29-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Jon Peck ]

JosephY
05-29-2002, 12:02 AM
Good for you Joe-SEE-fa, I'll just add you to the Fool and his money are soon parted list. And by the way Moron, I completed my vintage collection 18 years ago. Your obviously the new guy trying to make up for lost time and trying hard to justify paying thousands of bucks for plastic people that are in all those yellow bubbles you have!( or is it the trying to be the big man deal.)

And you and your sorry collectors that showed up in this thread made all the smart *** comments and then had the nerve to even make threats to other members. Did you even bother to read the topic s*** for brains! images/icons/confused.gif

Your comment about the poor dealers tells me all I need to know about you...Gump! The Poor Poor dealers who had to pay for there tables and gas up there Pinto's and old ford vans!.Hey Moron nobody forced then to leave there flea market booths for the weekend! images/icons/tongue.gif Whoa whoa... is the Poor Poor dealer who had to turn around and sell the Luke Besbin figure at the EP2 Convention for a $100.00!( the same one's that are in the store for $6.00) so he could buy fancy shredded cheese for his sandwiches images/icons/tongue.gif . There such nice people! How could I have misjudged them! images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Your comments about Wizard letting the Scumbag dealers buy what they wanted to so it was there fault is ridiculous as well.They put on a great show, and how were they suppose to know these Flea market scumbag bottom feeding dealers were going to take advantage of every micro second they could and keep sneaking in like roaches buying (hoarding) these figures so they could rip-off Star Wars fans and collectors at a later date! Brians Toys now selling this figure for $139.99! images/icons/mad.gif Wow that's cheap!

Your a numnut for even thinking dealers charging insane amounts of money for these toys Help the Hobby in anyway.They sell items at made up prices based on nothing at all except the last fool they whacked. This Hobby was going on probably before you were born Donkey Kong! I was trading with collectors with no such price attached to any item for over 20 years. We traded just for the fun of the hobby NOT for the what it's worth hobby that your in. That's the point that you and your Johnny come lately collectors will never get. And I know your a bunch of Johnny come latelys by just the items you mentioned buying from Brians Toys that were a dime a dozen not even 10 years ago. Before the Dealers came in and ruined the Hobby.<font size="2" face="arial">Who in the green hell do you think you're talking to?? ....I've been collecting vintage SW for over 12 years, and I've never heard of you.... Johny come lately boy.... And 3 packs were FAR from a dime a dozen 10 years ago. I have 10 year old issues of Toy Shop with ads from dealers and collectors(Steve Hoffman) that were offering $1k+ ea for 3 packs THEN. And yes I bought a LOT of my carded vintage before they reached the high prices that they're at now(some of it thanks to a local dealer who was always more than fair in his pricing) and some of it because I was smart enough to buy up large collections and sell off the extras to lower my cost on the figures I kept.Unlike your kind,I made a *gasp* PROFIT on them... Of course you realize that the pof2 and beyond crap that you're coveting now is not,nor will it ever be worth the plastic it's made of. At least when I buy a vintage piece I know that at worst I'll make my money back IF I ever choose to sell it... can the avg pof2 collector say the same?... Sure this fool parts with his money.... and can make every dime of it back any time he chooses images/icons/grin.gif ....A LOT more than the avg "modern" SW collector can say. As far as justification is concerned, my collection speaks for itself, and it is far from me trying to be the big man in the hobby. A LOT of the items from my collection that have been featured on various sites, I've requested that they be listed as from the collection of annon.just because I don't want the limelight, Furthermore, I do not need to justify my collection,collecting habits or collecting rational. to a jealous,lowlife piece of scum like yourself.

To show my point about dealers making the hobby better... lets look at one of the most prevalant SW dealers out there, Tom Derby. Tom has helped the hobby by finding just about any rare item that you could hope to own.He is also more than willing to help authenticate items (like DT sabers) for people even if it's not something he is planning on buying!!! Before Tom made his mark on the hobby, you couldn't just go to a toy show and find a Canadian Utility belt set,or a carded Vlix(just for examples sake).You couldn't easilly track items like that down without a lot of travel and still you might come up empty handed. Tom also makes it easy to afford such extravagant pieces, by setting up payment plans for larger purchases.It might not help you, but I can name hundreds of collectors that his service and involvment in the hobby have helped. BTW, your "I finished my vintage collection 18 years ago" BS is nothing more than that. What ... did you go buy some carded Ewoks on clearance at TRU??

For the dealer trying to sell the Luke Bespin for $100, I think we both agree that is an insane price. BUT I also feel that he has the right to attempt to sell it for whatever price he wants... after all HE owned it (and probably still does). YOU don't have to buy it if you don't like the price.

I think the major problem here (apart from you being an ignorant POS) images/icons/rolleyes.gif lies in the fact that the avg. pof2+ collector views the avg. dealer as a stumbling block in his attempts to get his figures. The vintage collector for the most part views the dealer as someone that can help them reach thier collecting goals.

I think that at this point in time Ebay is actually the forum for setting the prices for what items are "worth" in the hobby. As the dividing line between collector and dealer is non existant and BOTH are able to sell at a demand based price.

I just can't picture Tom Derby, Jordan Hembrough, OR Brian Semling setting up at a flea market... I think you have them confused with your friends. And what is your fascination with Ford Pintos anyway... does a local dealer in Fla drive one? Most of the toy dealers that I know drive Saab's,Audi's,Lexus',or newer SUV's.

And as far as people making threats...I didn't read any threats, just a plea for you to have the same words in person that you have while hiding behind a keyboard, just make these comments to my face or Bills face (seing as you insulted him too)I'll be at FX in Fla. next year, so will Bill,I'm sure.

Have a nice day images/icons/grin.gif
Joseph

Kim_Zoll
05-29-2002, 01:16 AM
Oh my god this ALF dude has a problem with life itself, check out his recent posts in his profile, this guy is on a crusade images/icons/grin.gif Karate instructor.. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif yeah right

Jason_Coulston
05-29-2002, 02:28 AM
Joseph, Jon and Kim:

Isn't this the best guy you've ever run into on the boards? I love this thread with all my heart.

Jason_Coulston
05-29-2002, 02:35 AM
Oh yeah, and earlier today, from Brian's Toys, I purchased a 41-Back Ugnaught and a 48-Back IG-88.

cmaybur
05-29-2002, 04:41 AM
Oh yeah, and earlier today, from Brian's Toys, I purchased a 41-Back Ugnaught and a 48-Back IG-88.

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY, A FOOL AND HIS MONEY, A FOOL AND HIS MONEY!!!

YOU JOHNNY COME LATELY... I FINISHED MY UGNAUGHT COLLECTION OVER 35 YEARS AGO!!!

images/icons/smile.gif

JohnA
05-29-2002, 06:58 AM
OMG I just realized how much action this thread is getting again. This is really out of control. I'll take the Jonny-come-lately remark in stride. I am 31 years old and have been into SW since I was 7. I never knew about the hobby for years b/c nobody collects in my area. I discovered POTF2 about 6 years ago and moved into vintage almost 2 years ago. So I am VERY new compared to others. I have however tried to make friends and enjoy the hobby the best I can. I have a collection I enjoy, and am proud of, but more importantly I made a bunch of cool new friends. That is what matters to me. People like ALF attacking everyone and name calling is what ruins this hobby. He is insulting people he really doen't know. I really would like to see pics of this "complete" collection. If you would be so kind...
In other words "Put up or shut up!"

John

JosephY
05-29-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jason Coulston:
Joseph, Jon and Kim:

Isn't this the best guy you've ever run into on the boards? I love this thread with all my heart.<font size="2" face="arial">This guy is the troll to end all trolls. I just find it impossible for him to not realize how much of a fool he's making of himself. At this point I'm almost thinking that he's someone we know playing a joke. No one can really be as ignorant or arrogant as this fool... or can they?

As far as him being the Karate kid....I find that about as likely as him having a "complete" vintage carded collection. He's some pocket protector wearing,fanboy,pof2 collecting chode. The closest he's come to learning karate is Playing video games or watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Cheers
Joseph

wooten
05-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Good for you Joe-SEE-fa, I'll just add you to the Fool and his money are soon parted list. And by the way Moron, I completed my vintage collection 18 years ago. Your obviously the new guy trying to make up for lost time and trying hard to justify paying thousands of bucks for plastic people that are in all those yellow bubbles you have!( or is it the trying to be the big man deal.)<font size="2" face="arial">Man, just reading this makes me feel so embarrassed for you. You obviously are bent on making personal attacks, here. If you knew Joe, even a little, you wouldn't be saying these ridiculous things. It's also clear that your understanding of vintage collectors is pretty weak.

And you and your sorry collectors that showed up<font size="2" face="arial">I think several of the collectors who don't normally discuss newer collectibles brought up valid and interesting points, not to mention a fair degree of sanity to what was once just a series of whining rants.

Your comment about the poor dealers tells me all I need to know about you...Gump! The Poor Poor dealers who had to pay for there tables and gas up there Pinto's and old ford vans!.Hey Moron nobody forced then to leave there flea market booths for the weekend! images/icons/tongue.gif Whoa whoa... is the Poor Poor dealer who had to turn around and sell the Luke Besbin figure at the EP2 Convention for a $100.00!( the same one's that are in the store for $6.00) so he could buy fancy shredded cheese for his sandwiches images/icons/tongue.gif . There such nice people! How could I have misjudged them! images/icons/rolleyes.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Typical. What you don't seem to realize in your zeal to attack Joe is that you both have different perspectives on dealers for a very valid reason. Joe, myself, and others view dealers in a much kinder light because we focus on vintage collectibles, which are available no other way. You view them with disdain because they can keep you from getting currently available products. Honestly, though, if you (and others) spent as much energy figuring out how to outwork these 'scumbag dealers' as you do whining and complaining about them, you might realize they have a lesser effect on your part of the hobby than you think.

Your comments about Wizard letting the Scumbag dealers buy what they wanted to so it was there fault is ridiculous as well.They put on a great show, and how were they suppose to know these Flea market scumbag bottom feeding dealers were going to take advantage of every micro second they could and keep sneaking in like roaches buying (hoarding) these figures so they could rip-off Star Wars fans and collectors at a later date! Brians Toys now selling this figure for $139.99! images/icons/mad.gif Wow that's cheap!<font size="2" face="arial">
Your a numnut for even thinking dealers charging insane amounts of money for these toys Help the Hobby in anyway.<font size="2" face="arial">"You're"

They sell items at made up prices based on nothing at all except the last fool they whacked. This Hobby was going on probably before you were born Donkey Kong! I was trading with collectors with no such price attached to any item for over 20 years. We traded just for the fun of the hobby NOT for the what it's worth hobby that your in. That's the point that you and your Johnny come lately collectors will never get. And I know your a bunch of Johnny come latelys by just the items you mentioned buying from Brians Toys that were a dime a dozen not even 10 years ago. Before the Dealers came in and ruined the Hobby.<font size="2" face="arial">Wah. Dealers can only charge what someone is willing to pay. It's that simple. No nefarious schemes, no dastardly plans, just simple economics.

This has to be one of the single most ridiculous posts I've ever read, even better than some usenet stuff from the old days. Good job!

-John

wooten
05-29-2002, 10:47 AM
I must've missed the part where he said he had a complete carded collection.

Hey "ALF" I have $50 with your name on it if you can produce a picture (and prove it is yours).

-John

Jason_Coulston
05-29-2002, 11:29 AM
I didn't know he said that either. I'll add $50 to the pot. Just show us some real photos of a complete MOC collection and I'll PayPal you the money.

05-29-2002, 01:30 PM
LMAO images/icons/grin.gif
My "whining rant" has turned into a monster. As far as I'm concerned, everybody has made their point. We all have valid statements (well, most anyway). Can't we all just get along? images/icons/wink.gif

Just a little addition: I did have more fun working on my vintage collection than on the POTF2 and beyond collection. A good "dealer" friend of mine hooked me up several times on the things I didn't have from my childhood (which really wasn't that much).

wooten
05-29-2002, 01:45 PM
I didn't know he said that either. I'll add $50 to the pot. Just show us some real photos of a complete MOC collection and I'll PayPal you the money.<font size="2" face="arial">I skimmed some more and I can't find that he said that. He said something to the effect of completing his vintage collection 18 years ago, whatever the heck that means. Shoot, they were making toys all the way up until 16 years ago, so he obviously missed out on some stuff...

Like someone else said, this guy is too ridiculous to take seriously. I mean, geez...ALF!?!?

-John

Jim_Mc_Callum
05-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Freudguy, Nice one. images/icons/smile.gif It's good to know their's a few nice guy collectors still left. It's what I figured on most of these guys defending Brian's toys. They do the same thing as him so they need to come on here and defend him by saying he's doing nothing wrong! Especially since he's their Idol!
What a bunch of Scumbags! images/icons/mad.gif <font size="2" face="arial">OK, this debate has really pissed me off and now it is time to make my point. First off, do you not live in America, home of capitalism and freedom...the very ideal that people have died for, than let people make money however they want!!! If anyone wanted the figure bad enough they could have waited earlier when C2 opened ! This whole arguement rages on fuelled by jealousy, if one human being (subject A) has something that another human being (subject B) wants ... than subject B lashes out in envy! Basic human psychology. Chris and Jason were right...I won't be back here, maybe ALF you might want to consider moving out of your parents basement. I here 50 is a good age to move out.

Jim

JosephY
05-29-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by wooten:
[QUOTE]

Like someone else said, this guy is too ridiculous to take seriously. I mean, geez...ALF!?!?

-John<font size="2" face="arial">The complete carded collection thing was taken from him claiming to have completed his vintage collection 18 years ago. But hey he seems to have dissapeared.... perhaps Alf will come back....in pog form images/icons/grin.gif

Cheers
Joseph

Jason_Coulston
05-30-2002, 12:31 AM
"Remember ALF, Bart? He's back . . . and in pog form".

I hope he comes back too. Every post is better than the last.

Jason_Coulston
05-30-2002, 12:40 AM
[ 05-30-2002, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Jason Coulston ]

JohnA
05-30-2002, 07:33 PM
I would LOVE to see some of those neato Karate moves you have- something like out of Crouching Idiot, Hidden ******* maybe ? <font size="2" face="arial">LOL http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/laugh.gif That is one of the funniest lines I have read in a LONNNNGGGGG time. I laughed my ***** off. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/roll.gif

John

[ 05-30-2002, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: John J. Alvarez ]

05-30-2002, 08:23 PM
YOU JOHNNY COME LATELY... I FINISHED MY UGNAUGHT COLLECTION OVER 35 YEARS AGO!!!

images/icons/smile.gif [/QB]<font size="2" face="arial">Okay nobody questioned Chris Maybury's comment on this one. Lets clear this up is this a typo on your part or have you perfected time travel. According to my SW insider, math, and memory SW is only 25 years old images/icons/confused.gif .

Now I felt that the inside dealers should not have been allowed in the store at Celebration. Some of them paid for there family to go. They could have waited outside with the rest of us. And like the rest of us went through the whole mess. Anyone who wanted more than two figures should have made the trip to the back of the line and went again. I got real tired of those who table hopped myself images/icons/frown.gif .

I got the figure. Hate me, I also had my child pick up 2. For me the extras are an investment for the future (hopfully long after I'm one with the force).

I didn't get everything I wanted. I didn't see everything I wanted. The time I spent in the lines with the other true fans was a great time images/icons/smile.gif (I also got tired with those who cut in line). After the lines the other things I got to do were great images/icons/grin.gif . Something that would have made my Celebration even better would have been if the Souvenir magazine's information would have been available before the event. I could have planned a lot better.

If you are an outside dealer or scalper and want or need to pick up more figures. Go to the back of the lines and try again. I realize fair is not in some of your vocabularies but please try images/icons/frown.gif .

If you didn't get the figure I feel for you but wake up and get in line earlier images/icons/rolleyes.gif . I didn't want the figure untill Saturday afternoon. That Sunday I got in line at about 6am. According to the person who was right behind me (in the store line) they ran out right after she got hers.

I am already saving money for Celebration III. So some of you might want to save some of this bickering for then. I'm sure you all will have something to say to each other than also images/icons/smile.gif .

Isaac_S_Lew
05-30-2002, 08:25 PM
I guess I'll have to get the Rainman images/icons/cool.gif or maybe Forrest Gump images/icons/smile.gif to explain to you the whole thread Jason.<font size="2" face="arial">I met with the Rainman last week and had this thread printed out in my hand. I am not kidding. I didn't show it to him, but I did get him to mention something about Star Wars. images/icons/smile.gif
-Isaac

Isaac_S_Lew
05-30-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by vongbait:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">

images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Okay nobody questioned Chris Maybury's comment on this one. Lets clear this up is this a typo on your part or have you perfected time travel. According to my SW insider, math, and memory SW is only 25 years old images/icons/confused.gif </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">He was kidding.
-Isaac

cmaybur
05-30-2002, 08:41 PM
He was kidding.

I'm glad to see that my sarcasm wasn't lost on everybody...

[ 05-30-2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Chris Maybury ]

JohnA
05-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by vongbait:
Okay nobody questioned Chris Maybury's comment on this one. Lets clear this up is this a typo on your part or have you perfected time travel. According to my SW insider, math, and memory SW is only 25 years old images/icons/confused.gif .<font size="2" face="arial">images/icons/confused.gif Are you serious?!?!? I thought Chris' sarcasm was clear as day, especially if you read through the whole post you'd see it was just a remark in referance to our good buddy ALF that completed his collection so many years ago. images/icons/smile.gif I think most people got the joke and that's why it wasn't questioned. Don't worry your math is correct. images/icons/grin.gif

John

Bill_McBride
05-31-2002, 12:21 AM
Wow.. I go away on vacation, and I miss "Karate Kid 5- The Internet Edition" (Thank You to everyone who stuck up for me images/icons/smile.gif ) I did have a great time in Hawaii though, beautiful weather images/icons/smile.gif (and you guys thought that 7-11 didn't pay well images/icons/wink.gif )
My point is basically this: If you find yourself in a poor, or disagreeable situation, SAY SOMETHING. Don't wait until you get all worked up about it, then come home and b!tch about it on the internet. It doesn't solve anything.
I do see your point F-Guy, and I can understand why you would be a little shocked at seeing a huge line of "dealers" waiting to get early access to the C2 store. But you should have asked some of us about it, or said something. (Like I did about the admission time for the store.. which they changed 4 (FOUR) times images/icons/frown.gif ) No hard feelings, but I do hope you see my point.
ALF, as anyone who knows me can tell you, I have no problem telling people what I think in real-life. For the most part, I am a pretty nice person, and I help people out whenever I can. I actually LOVE collecting, and all that goes with it. But I do have a loathing for people in this hobby who are basically jealous, close-minded, ignorant, petty, judgmental, or just plain stupid. (like YOU) You are the type of person who has nothing relevant to say, and tries to make up for it by starting flame wars, or just running off at the mouth. Guys like Joe, John A, John W. and everyone else, are some of the nicest people out there, and you have made nothing but enemies of them. You don't actually know anything, so you make up for it by insulting people.....nice.
This is an argument that cannot be won. ALF is basically a troll who is looking to stir up trouble, and nothing more. I am not spending any more of my time "debating" with this waste of carbon atoms.

Bill-aka "Iron Monkey Butt" Wushu

~If you want to actually meet me ALF, I will be going to the next FX show in Orlando. (you live in Fla., right ? images/icons/wink.gif I would LOVE to see some of those neato Karate moves you have- something like out of Crouching Idiot, Hidden ******* maybe ? (Hey..at least you got one thing right about me... my shirt size images/icons/wink.gif )

Jason_Coulston
05-31-2002, 03:25 AM
Isaac, I need rainman to explain this thread to me. I'm obviously confused. Seriously.

Jason_Coulston
05-31-2002, 03:28 AM
Oh yeah, and I was a "fool and my money" today when, once again (GASP), I purchased a vintage toy from a dealer.

FOOL AND HIS MONEY, FOOL AND HIS MONEY

06-02-2002, 04:11 PM
I was lucky,at one stand they were buying Jourg Sacul for $20. And alot of people were selling them.Then I heard a rumor that the figs were sold out and that the line was very long.So, I went up to a guy trying to sell his off for 20.And by the last day I had scalpers and fans asking me for $125 for em...I said no.This is my way to remember C2.

06-03-2002, 10:06 AM
and you know what I hate ? those scum bag car dealers. If they didn't buy them all from the factory, we could just go there and pick out whatever we wanted, probably save a fortune too ! images/icons/wink.gif

Ed3
06-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by grandmoffschizz:
and you know what I hate ? those scum bag car dealers. If they didn't buy them all from the factory, we could just go there and pick out whatever we wanted, probably save a fortune too ! images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Yeah, and those scalpers at Domino's thinking they can charge me $9.99 for a pizza with about $1.29 worth of ingredients. All they did was advertise their product, open locations near me, hire people to staff the location, purchase the ingredients, prepare the pizza, cook it, box it, and deliver it. Then the driver wants a tip? I'm going back outside to wait for manna to fall from heaven instead.

Jason_Coulston
06-11-2002, 03:18 AM
Please come back ALF!

JosephY
06-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Please come back ALF!<font size="2" face="arial">In Pog form?

Cheers
Joseph

cmaybur
06-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Please come back ALF!

"Dial 10-10-220!" images/icons/smile.gif

06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
i want to run into a scalper at a store...*evil laugh*