PDA

View Full Version : Aside from the C2 events, what did you think about Indy?

05-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Just curious, since I'm a resident of the city.

_Spirit_of_
05-06-2002, 04:32 PM
I loved it. Lots of stuff to do outside of the show, and all within walking distance.

But I think I already told this yesterday, didn't I? images/icons/smile.gif

05-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Yes darlin, you did. But I wondered what the other members that I didn't get to meet thought... images/icons/wink.gif

It was Billy Idol you know.

05-06-2002, 05:25 PM
I was actually quite surprised with how much I enjoyed Indianapolis.. There was plenty of restaurants and parking in the general area of the convention center, and everything was very clean....Even the Mini Marathon wasn't a problem, as the local police were very informative about alternate routes and parking lots...

05-06-2002, 06:36 PM
My husband and I had a great time in Indy. We stayed at the Comfort Inn about 2 blocks away from the convention center. We got there in the evening on Thursday, so we walked down to the Circle Centre Mall, then went to the Hard Rock Cafe, then had many drinks at the Alcatraz Brewing Co. and then a horse drawn carriage ride around downtown. Very fun, very beautiful city.

[ 05-06-2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: sleet ]

BigDumbWookiee
05-06-2002, 06:59 PM
As always, I love it! But Im also very biased because I live there ;c)

mousedroid
05-06-2002, 08:42 PM
I really enjoyed exploring downtown Indianapolis on my own on Sunday after everyone else had either left or were otherwise occupied. The city is awesome. It's very clean and seems very safe.

There are lots of great places to eat and cool historical sights to see. Of course the fact that you all arranged for such nice weather for us was a huge bonus. images/icons/smile.gif

wook22
05-06-2002, 09:32 PM
I was dissapointed with C2 but I had a great night in Indy. I liked the 30 second count down at the crosswalks and I enjoyed a Restaurant/Bar called RAM. I meet a couple of other out of towners in for a Martial Arts conference and we ended up at the Wet Noodle or something to that effect. It was a blues/jazz bar. Lots of beer and Jaeger and I picked up a few new defensive moves. I had a rough day at the Celebration Saturday due to my hangover. But, Friday night was the best part of the trip.

05-07-2002, 11:11 AM
I really liked what I saw of Indy, including how clean and organized it was...I told several people standing in various lines that nothing like this would have been possible in Buffalo, not only does it lack such a good venue, but the pan handlers would have had a field day with the long lines waiting outside to get in...

05-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by wook22:
I was dissapointed with C2 but I had a great night in Indy. I liked the 30 second count down at the crosswalks and I enjoyed a Restaurant/Bar called RAM. I meet a couple of other out of towners in for a Martial Arts conference and we ended up at the Wet Noodle or something to that effect. It was a blues/jazz bar. Lots of beer and Jaeger and I picked up a few new defensive moves. I had a rough day at the Celebration Saturday due to my hangover. But, Friday night was the best part of the trip.<font size="2" face="arial">LOL! You mean the Slippery Noodle. images/icons/grin.gif Very cool place- used to be a stop on the Underground Railroad and the oldest bar in Indpls.

05-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by mousedroid:
I really enjoyed exploring downtown Indianapolis on my own on Sunday after everyone else had either left or were otherwise occupied.
<font size="2" face="arial">Otherwise occupied??? Hmmm, wonder who that was. images/icons/tongue.gif

05-07-2002, 11:50 AM
I especially enjoyed the fountain. images/icons/wink.gif

05-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Princess Curleia Beer Mustard Thief:
I especially enjoyed the fountain. images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Seriously-weren't you guys cold???

Darth_Bryan
05-07-2002, 03:45 PM
I'm from Houston which has no downtown that you can really walk around in. Of course the city limits covers 650 sq. miles and that's just the city limits. My brother and I enjoyed walking around to restaurants,the mall, and just seeing sites. I have to admit I was a little scared when I looked out my window(I was at the Hampton Inn across from the HardRock) and saw thousands of people lining up to run. I've never gotten ready so fast in my life. The city was very clean and most of the people at the restaurants and on the street were very friendly and informative. The fountain was very nice. What was the building across from the convention center. Was that the capital building or Congressional building or other?

05-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Spider:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Princess Curleia Beer Mustard Thief:
I especially enjoyed the fountain. images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Seriously-weren't you guys cold???</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Mmmmmm ... not that I remember.

Lots of beer will do that to a girl, though.

_Spirit_of_
05-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Spider:
Seriously-weren't you guys cold???<font size="2" face="arial">It felt like burning.

images/icons/grin.gif

musasa
05-07-2002, 06:33 PM
I had a good impression of the place, though it doesn't have the bustling vibe I've come to know and love in Taipei, Tokyo, and Paris (three of my favorite cities). I wish I had had more time to explore the city. Matt and I thought about heading out for food on Sat night (to explore downtown a bit) but were pretty exhausted and opted for the TGI Fridays in the hotel.

gypsyforce
05-07-2002, 08:51 PM
I also liked Indy, we walked around and enjoyed the sights. My brother and his girlfriend went to Hard Rock Cafe. Everyone seemed to have a good time. images/icons/smile.gif

05-07-2002, 09:07 PM
Indy is beautiful...
Since I bolted from the "celebration" early, my wife and I hit the town for a few hours. Had a great time until I broke my big toe images/icons/shocked.gif stubbing it on that damn trash can right outside Hard Rock Cafe! Anyone else hit that thing?

Mr_Stimp
05-08-2002, 12:30 AM
Indy was a great city, I wanted to move in and live there. The only problem was this work thing.

05-08-2002, 09:44 AM
BryanC - The domed building near the convention center is the Capitol Building. There is a seperate Government Center however, so I don't know what goes on where.
Yes, 26,000 people running at you can be pretty scary. It was just a couple of years ago that they moved the date to Saturday- it used to be during the week. Imagine trying to get to work in that mess!

Megadarth Ouch! You really broke your toe??? Are you sure it was the trash can's fault, or the beer at Hard Rock?

Stimpy There is a Ford plant here, you know.

05-08-2002, 01:10 PM
Indy was Awesome!!!! I'm from Buffalo NY, and Indy blows Buffalo away. Well worth the 8 hour drive.

05-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Spider- Yes.. hurt like Hell! Maybe if it wasn't on the way IN to the Hard Rock, I could blame it on the beer... but I hadn't eaten or drank anything since breakfast. Maybe it was the hunger... images/icons/shocked.gif

Tyler_Pugmire
05-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Indy was ok, a little confusing to navigate. The crowds really didn't bother me much, I had quite a bit of experience with that during the Olympics. Very green, that's the first thing I noticed, lots of trees. It's very pretty, but I don't think I'd want to live there.
-Ty-

P.S. We went to the Hard Rock too!

Jason_Coulston
05-10-2002, 03:13 AM
Indianapolis was impeccably clean for a downtown area. The streets were free from trash, the entire area was well-patrolled by police officers, and not once did I feel threatened, even when walking around at 2am in the morning.

My only real complaint is the complete lack of originality. It seemed to me that chain restaurants outnumbered local establishments. Every where I turned there was a Hooters, a Hard Rock Cafe, a Ruths Chris, a P.F. Chang's, an Alcatraz Brewing, a Rock Bottom Brewery, or some other corporate incarnation.

I think that one of the greatest things about traveling is eating local cuisine. I love to discover hole-in-the-wall local's favorites serving up food that not only typifies, but completely embodies a region's food. I looked hard for that in Indy, but I didn't find it.

mousedroid
05-10-2002, 07:49 AM
I was just reminded last night of the bats. We went down to monument circle after dark on Sunday and there were hundreds, if not thousands of bats flying around the circle. I thought it was really cool. Does that happen all the time?

The bats could explain the lack of crime. After all, "criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot." images/icons/smile.gif

[ 05-10-2002, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: mousedroid ]

BigDumbWookiee
05-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Jason Coulston:
Indianapolis was impeccably clean for a downtown area. The streets were free from trash, the entire area was well-patrolled by police officers, and not once did I feel threatened, even when walking around at 2am in the morning.

My only real complaint is the complete lack of originality. It seemed to me that chain restaurants outnumbered local establishments. Every where I turned there was a Hooters, a Hard Rock Cafe, a Ruths Chris, a P.F. Chang's, an Alcatraz Brewing, a Rock Bottom Brewery, or some other corporate incarnation.

I think that one of the greatest things about traveling is eating local cuisine. I love to discover hole-in-the-wall local's favorites serving up food that not only typifies, but completely embodies a region's food. I looked hard for that in Indy, but I didn't find it.<font size="2" face="arial">You may be suprised, but Indy actually has a very high concentration of local and unique cuisine, unfortunately, you kind of have to know where to find them ;c) A lot of them are holes-in-the-wall, tucked away in various locations throughout the city, but most of downtown is chain-oriented.

05-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by BigDumbWookie:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Jason Coulston:

I think that one of the greatest things about traveling is eating local cuisine. I love to discover hole-in-the-wall local's favorites serving up food that not only typifies, but completely embodies a region's food. I looked hard for that in Indy, but I didn't find it.<font size="2" face="arial">You may be suprised, but Indy actually has a very high concentration of local and unique cuisine, unfortunately, you kind of have to know where to find them ;c) A lot of them are holes-in-the-wall, tucked away in various locations throughout the city, but most of downtown is chain-oriented.</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Absolutely. St. Elmo's, Acapulco Joe's, Milano Inn, Bazbeaux Pizza, Hot Tuna, le Peep, Rathskeller, and one of my faves, Shapiro's Deli .

Mouse - couldn't comment on the bats. It's been years since I hung out on the Circle late (before I was 21- that's what all the teens did) and I never noticed them.

Darth_Kenobi
05-10-2002, 10:41 AM
I thought that Indy was a nice city. Like many other had to say lots of stuff to do. I left early from the convention each day so I could walk around the city and look at all there was to see, like the USS Indianapolis memrial, not sure waht its called but the fountian with the civil war parpacipants from Indiana, etc. I felt safe even when I was out at 4 in the morining (something I know I wouldn't in LA or someother cities near me.

SamIAm
05-13-2002, 02:51 PM
I liked Indy alot. I've been to Indy a couple of time in the past for Colts games, So I kind of knew my way around. My friend and I visited Engine 13's house on Friday and the Fire Fighters were cool. (My buddy and I are both Fire Fighters) Everyone who worked downtown was nice. I really enjoyed myself. You should be proud of you city.

05-13-2002, 02:58 PM
bumping