PDA

View Full Version : Total blast!

musasa
05-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Just got back from C2. I had an awesome time. Friday was definitely more laid back and less crowded, but I wound up waiting in line most of the day. Saturday was also cool, to see everyone having a great time. But the best part was meeting so many folks that I've gotten to know over the last 3 years, including Bananapunk, Darth Matt, Apok, Spirit, Mouse, Flarida, and others. I didn't get anything at the Omni sales, but I had the chance to meet some good folks, like Fawcett, Coulston, Weepel (tosser of Yaks), Chris G, Duke of Erg, and a bunch others.

The prop section was PHENOMENAL. They had a whole family of Tusken Raiders, a ton of masks, sabers, weapons, and other props. Oh, and Jango Fett's full costume. images/icons/smile.gif

Warwick Davis was great, and it was fun meeting a bunch of the stars and getting a few autographs.

I'd say the whole experience was totally worth it. Best weekend I've spent in the States this year. images/icons/grin.gif

05-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear that! Im really looking forward to going to C3. I already convinced my family, though I donīt know where its gonna take place, but since itīs going to be the last Celebration it means I really need to be there. I hope I get to meet some of you guys over at the next celebration.

05-05-2002, 03:52 PM
I had THE BEST TIME there!!! I hung out with Twoth Kroth and Ogibendogy the whole time. Everyone there seemed to have just a fun experience with their fellow fans from the world over.

images/icons/smile.gif

bibfortuna
05-05-2002, 10:58 PM
I just posted in the "It really blew" thread. But I have to say - I had a GREAT time too. My wife and I really enjoyed the whole weekend. I will definitely be at C3 if at all possible.

I wish they'd done one of these every year!

Rob

05-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Question,

I was there on Saturday. Just the one day. Got there early, quite early...and left around 4. Because I couldn't get anywhere. I did get my Sacul, however.

My thought is this: to really enjoy, did you have to go to all three days?

Personally, I didn't want to committ the time and resources, plus the time off work for something of this nature, but it appears to me you needed to.

In otherwords, a person there for only one day would be stalled out of seeing almost everything due to the poor logistical nature of the event.

You needed to committ majorly to this in order for it not to be frustrating. I think that was the secret.

Other than that, you have to have many buddies who are willing to swap lines with you to get anywhere.

Just my thoughts.

I am and always will be a fan, but I think that for the casual fan, if there can be such a thing that travels out of state for a convention, I, for one, was left frustrated.

bibfortuna
05-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Mazinga, I think it helped that I was there all three days. I drove in Thursday night from Chicago, and left Sunday afternoon after everything shut down.

Friday I got in line around 8:00 a.m., Got in at about 10:40. Got my Sacul figures, and the concert tickets. Also checked out the dealer room, toy "museum", SW in 30 minutes, the Archives.

Saturday I got in line at 5:50 a.m. and went to ballroom 500 right away in the morning when they opened to see McCallum Spectacular, then went upstairs to get tickets to stand in line to see Morrison/Logan/Christiansen and Bies,Artoo/Christiansen. Waited in line for those for a LONG time. Went out for dinner, then came back to stand in line for the concert (one of the few things I was disappointed in).

Sunday, packed up the car and checked out of the hotel room, headed over around 9:00 or 10:00, Saw a few more things, SW in 30 min again (cuz it was so good the first time - I was hoping to get better seats, but didn't), stuff about Stunts in BAllroom 500, and McCallum's video (again) along with the Yoda commercial.

I think Saturday was the most crowded day, and I got the least done (although the stuff I did on Sat. WAS some really popular (read:long lines) stuff)

I think people who went there expecting a leisurely stroll through vast, wide open spaces, or who expected to jump from thing to thing were probably very disappointed.

It was better than I expected. The waits were longer, but everything was a LOT of fun (except the concert).

Rob

[ 05-06-2002, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: bibfortuna ]

05-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I seem to see a trend.

Those who went for a day or two left unfullfilled. However, those who weekended it seemed to have much more fun due to the benefit they could take and leave things and come back to them as they saw fit. That probably helped much.

Like I said, I just wish it could have been planned a tad better to move people from spot to spot.

Maybe that is the trick?

Matt_Carroll
05-06-2002, 04:59 PM
I had a great time as well. The best part was getting a chance to meet so many people from the forums. Having a chance to talk with apokolips, musasa, mousedroid, JJKS, and others made me not mind standing in line as much as we did.

I think being there only one day would have been very frustrating, especially if that one day was Saturday. Having the full weekend allowed me to see most of what I wanted, which was just a percentage of what was there. Anyone who came with the expectation to see everything had to walk away disappointed.

jadesfire
05-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I had a great time. I finally met some of the women I've gotten to know from the costume boards at theforce.net.
I was there for all three days and was in line each day by 5:00-6:00am. I didn't mind the lines and it was DRY!!!!!!!!!!!! images/icons/smile.gif

JJKS
05-06-2002, 07:48 PM
One day was certainly not enough to walk away with a very positive experience. I went on Friday and Saturday, and still didn't get to do everything I wanted. Knowing on Friday that I had another day to check out the rest of the show made it much more enjoyable for me and made waiting in lines 3/4 of the day much easier. As Matt said, having people like him and Musasa and Mouse around made the lines much more bearable. Not just them, but everyone there was very friendly and seemed to be having a good time. It's a little surprising to come back to the boards and here that so many left disappointed. I took it for what it was, a massive gathering of fans that share a love of all things Star Wars. I've been to a lot of conventions, but this was easily my favorite ever. There was SO MUCH to do and see, from autographs to exhibits to panels, that I don't understand how anyone could have had a bad time. I'm really glad I went can't wait for Celebration 3!

Findswoman
05-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Hey, I only got to be there from one day (Saturday the 4th), and I had a great time overall! Even the lines weren't so bad, because it was fun just to watch all the people go by in their wacky costumes and so forth, and it was such a beautiful day!

One of my favorite things about the weekend was getting to meet people. Not many, but they were very nice and really made the experience for me:

</font> <font size="2" face="arial">the man and his little boy behind us in the line for the shop</font> <font size="2" face="arial"> the doll designer I chatted with after (& during) the Hasbro Q&A session--another female collector! yay!</font> <font size="2" face="arial">Joe Corroney, the artist of http://www.holonetnews.com and many RPG sourceguides</font> <font size="2" face="arial">Michonne "Aurra Sing" Bourriague</font> <font size="2" face="arial">Garrick "Biggs Darklighter" Hagon
</font><font size="2" face="arial">My only regret is that I didn't meet more people--namely, you, my fellow Rebelscummers! That was one of the things I'd been most looking forward to about C2, but I simply didn't know where you would be, and there were so many people there. images/icons/frown.gif Ah, well, maybe next time.
However... those of you who went to that Hasbro Q&A session thing in Dagobah at 1:30/2:00 or so may have recognized me. images/icons/grin.gif (Thanks again to the doll designer for coming to my rescue!)

... the Findswoman

[ 05-06-2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Findswoman ]