PDA

View Full Version : This is what is was really like at C2

wook22
05-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Well, I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis Friday morning leaving at 4:30am. I had never been to any kind of Star Wars event so I did not know what to expect. I got there, parked and then went to find the door. There was this huge line. I asked a security guy where to go since I have "Fan Club" status. He directed me to a line that was three times longer. "Fan Club" status meant nothing. Although, you could sit in the lounge. Only "Fan Club" members were allowed in the lounge. So, that had to be good. When I saw that on my map I went for it expecting food or beverages. There was nothing. Some chairs and tables. Really the only thing to do at the Celebration was to wait in line for stuff. I waited in line to get the Lucas figure. That was it. There was a line for symphony tickets, a line for the event where they showed 8 minutes of the new movie, a line for Carrie Fisher autographs, etc. I just walked to the front and took a look at her. She looked good and that was good enough for me. The worst place was the vending area. I was blown away at the amount of overpriced merchandise. I know book values for a lot of Star Wars figures and toys and the prices there were ridiculous. In addition, it was nearly impossible to manuever through the crowds. Friday wasn't so bad but Saturday was a zoo. On Saturday they had run out of almost all Celebration 2 merchandise except for the figures. I was in line when the announcement was made that they were not selling any more Lucas figures because the 10,000 allotted for that day had been sold. Talk about angry people. How pissed would you be if you waited in line outside for an hour or so, then got in and had to wait in a line to get into the Celebration Merchandise Store, which took another hour. Then, once in the store you were put in another line for 30min. Once you got out of this line you were now able to get into the final line, one of 16 lines that led to the promised land; the merchandise table. While waiting in the final line they announced that since they were out of most of the merchandise they had order froms to fill out. You fill out an order form and your items will be sent to you in 6 to 8 weeks (all except the Lucas figures you could not order them). So now that adds another 30 minutes to the wait in the final line because now people are filling out order forms. Now imagine there are only two people ahead of you. You see the light at the end of the tunnel. You say to yourself "Finally, it looks like I'm going to get a Lucas figure". Then, the biggest announcement of the day is made. No more action figures. I saw one guy go into a total tirade. He lost his temper and was screaming at anyone he cold find behind the tables. After seeing that I chuckled, got in my car and got the hell out of there. I had a three day pass but what was I going to do. It was 1:00 on Saturday. What would I do for the rest of the day? Then I'd have to drop another $100.00 for a crappy hotel room. I suppose I could have gotten in a line. Most of the time you could not tell what lines were for what. I am happy that I was able to get my Lucas figure. I didn't want to have to pay for it on ebay, although in retrospect it would have been worth buying on ebay. I do believe this; Paying $75-$100 for the figure is well worth it. You did not have to buy a pass, no travel expenses, no hotel expenses and no waiting in lines for 4 hours. I'm not sure what the purpose of the Celebration was. I did not see any celebrating, I saw a lot of people either angry, feeling crowded, or getting ripped off by the vendors. I can't wait for Celebration 3. images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-06-2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: wook22 ]