PDA

View Full Version : A New Hope TCG set looks kinda familiar....

tauntaunweequay
10-22-2002, 08:13 AM
First off I WAS a HUGE decipher CCG fan, I started at Premiere and played till the end.

Before anyone starts lashing out at me, I AM NOT bashing this new WOC game...but

I got the INSIDER 63 yesterday and there is an entire caard encyclopedia for ANH set. And upon closer inspection it has ALOT of the decipher qualities.

First off if I were Decipher (i know , like an inventor for a major company who creates something it becomes the property of that company) I would be ticked that WOC gets to use the Cantina alien names they created.

secondly the "scanning crew" looks VAGUELY familiar.

And although many of the images are the same, I realize thats unavoidable, as there are only so many shots of certain characters,ships,ect that can be used.BUT and this is A BIG OLE' BUT....WHY did they need to make a CG representation of a Krayt Dragon?!?!?!?! That that looks like a blatant ripoff. This was something toyally ORIGINAL the Decipher crew made up. And is NOT necessary to have duplicated by WOC. Its not an integral part of the story/movie/game NOTHING. Its not like ommiting Jawas , this game could have gone on without this card in its library.

I dunno, This game really just reminds me of a more advanced "Young Jedi" (another Decipher game images/icons/rolleyes.gif )with anoying dice.

Yes the Decipher game was EXTREMLY DIFFICULT to master (too difficult realy) , and even harder to learn for newcomers. So this game did do good to bring in new players , but I just find myself missing my old decks. images/icons/smile.gif

tauntaunweequay
10-23-2002, 06:56 AM
I see RS doesnt have a whole lot of CCG players. images/icons/frown.gif

tauntaunweequay
10-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Hey , I think I'll just keep replying to myself images/icons/grin.gif

These forums are dyin' images/icons/frown.gif

bwing
10-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Tauntaunweequay,

I too was a big Decipher fan, and agree that some of the new set do look familiar, but I am trying to give WOTC a chance.

As for the images that Decipher created - all of those images (and names) are Lucas' property. Lucas just gave Decipher a license, but any work product (or images, names) most likely belong to Lucas. He can then give that product to WOTC or whomever he wants. Let's hope WOTC can expand on what Decipher created.

[ 10-24-2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: bwing ]

Schtoiker
10-25-2002, 05:59 PM
The core of my hobby is collecting the figs but with the new game being developed I thought I'd start collecting the cards on the side. Just adding that this year and looking back at Decipher's catalog is quite intimidating. I think I've catalogued over 2500 cards on their website and that's without including foils and whatever other variations there might be. So picking up with WOC seemed like a more reasonable approach.

What's difficult is that the major retailers who sell the toys don't stock the cards like comic book shops and what not. So that's an added deterrent and makes collecting move a lot slower.

I did notice a local TRU discounting their AOTC 5 card boosters from $1.79 to $.98 but stocking up on boosters hoping to avoid duplicate cards seems annoying.

Even with Decipher getting the can, there's a local magazine shop that keeps selling their Decipher expansion sets at prime rate. These cards never seem to get discounted.

Kyp
10-26-2002, 04:32 PM
Schtoiker (or anyone else), I have a good chunck of the AOTC TCG cards set for sale and quite a few extra foils (including the SR Dooku rare foil) for sale. I would love to get rid of these, or trade for anything SW I am missing. Email me at b_ridic@yahoo.com or post here. just LMK. thanks. Mike

tauntaunweequay
10-28-2002, 08:31 AM
oh THE dECIPHER library of cards was deffinatly intimidating to a newcomer. That and trying to learn the game from the rulebook was pretty much impossible. You NEEDED to have other players around when you started playing.

There are still rule elements that I don't know about. ALso there were so many differnt exclusives from sealed decks, winning tournys, the ones from the long boxes.

And some Decipher players were cocky bast**** that didnt care if you needed help or not. I remember the first tournament I went to everyone I played gave me NO slack whatsoever. Like if I forgot to force drain then went to do something else and caught myself, he'd be like "well you forgot images/icons/grin.gif " Then I met A guy who was really helpful and b/c of him I became a great player.

So its nice that the game got a reset. I don't rule it out yet. Like bwing says theres still hope WOTC can end up with a really craetive and fun CCG.

Darth_Mahler
10-28-2002, 12:14 PM
I didn't ever play the Decipher game, I just collected the cards. Then after many green bills later, I had complied EVERY set that Decipher produced, including the Episode 1 sets and every premium card. (I didn't collect the Reflections sets or the Unlimited sets, they were just duplicates).

Yeah it was intimidating, but I look upon those sets in awe. That is a collecting marvel. images/icons/smile.gif

tauntaunweequay
10-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the boards Wuher. WOW the Japanese sets too..MOST impressive!!!

I agree Jango, I love to flip through the pages of my binders and look at all the different pics. Decipher stopped the frame at some VERY interesting and sometimes comical frames.My fav. being Concentraaaaaate , that look on Yoda is classic. and they were so clever with the backwards writing and what not..I think some decipher fans have kept the game going.

Wuher
10-29-2002, 01:02 AM
Hi there
the same here
I did not play the game - but I enjoyed
collecting the cards.
I have all the BB, WB and foils sets
I am over half way through the 3 Japanese sets
I have finished the promo foils - just a few printing differences to pick up.
I did not like the look of the AOTC Wizards game
I thought the quailty was poor but the Sith
Rising set is excellent and the foils are way
ahead of decipher.
but some of the images need to be sharper.
I look forward to the next set and finishing
SWCCG (OH and YJCCG - JKTCG)
If anybody is interested in trading
I have 1000s of rares - but my wants are quite
limited but I will cross trade (I'll even
take some of those LOTR cards and foils)

Regards Mark

Thermal
10-30-2002, 01:47 AM
I loved the old Decipher game and refuse to buy the new Hasbro propaganda. I played and collected the game. Not really that hard once you learned the basics. And yes there were alot of a-holes who played also. Me and my friends played strictly for fun (sometimes with 150 card decks). Took hours, but it as for FUN!!! That's also when I had time to kill, now with a 4 year old....well you know the drill. Anyway, I've got lots of Decipher doubles if anyone wants to trade some (there is still alot I don't have) and if your in town drop me a line and we can get a game up.

Later Ron

11-02-2002, 06:18 PM
I too played the old decipher game and enjoyed it. But after playing the new TCG by WOTC, I just have to admit that the game is much more enjoyable to play, at least for me. The game is easy to learn, but still has a lot of in-depth gameplay. Believe it or not, there is a lot of strategy in the game that you may not see by just looking at a few cards.

You may say you are not "bashing" the TCG, but it doesn't seem that way. Saying WOTC is "blatantly ripping off" cards from the CCG doesn't sound very open-minded or neutral. images/icons/rolleyes.gif No offence implyed. The Krayt dragon is a real creature in star wars. Remember when we first see Obi-Wan he makes the sound of a Krayt Dragon to scare off the Tuskins. Also there is a dead krayt dragon in the sand that C3PO passed. I don't think it was such a bad idea that WOTC made a krayt dragon card to represent a real creature in star wars. The CG picture is in no way a rip off, I am sure there was already concept art of the creature, and WOTC just made a CG picture of it for the cards. Just because WOTC did not need to make this card does not mean they shouldn't have. I don't understand why you don't approve of them making this card. As for the names of the cantina characters, which ones were made up by Decipher? Even if some were taken from that game, what is wrong with using a name that people are already familiar with?

I think you are just trying to come up with a reason to discourage people from playing this game. What other conclusion could I come up with looking at this?

tauntaunweequay
11-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Well , yes it is a creature from the SW universe, to make a "Krayt Dragon BONES" card would not have caught my attention in the least. But as there is NO actual dragon in the films I find it EXTREMLY coincidental that the CG image they chose is very close to Deciphers. I wonder if WOTC does a "SAND WALKER" card, can I get ticked about that???

There is SOOOOOO much to choose from this rich SW Universe, there is no need to copy from past games. Don't tell me that you don't think the R&D department for this TCG did'nt look through Deciphers cards for ideas!!!!! I can almost guarantee you that.

And as far as the using of cantina alien names, I NEVER said it was ripping off and that it shouldn't be aloud(look at the coment on inventors in my opening post) , I just said if I were the Decipher designers who made them up I would be pissed that the competition was using "our" names.

However Decepher has nothing to worry about, their LOTR CCG is just as brilliant as their SW one. With the closing of one door, another opens......

By the way WELCOME to the boards J-bob images/icons/smile.gif

11-05-2002, 01:18 AM
Don't tell me that you don't think the R&D department for this TCG did'nt look through Deciphers cards for ideas!!!!! <font size="2" face="arial">I am not so sure about that. Not that I don't think it is a posibility though. The CG representation of the Krayt Dragon looks hardly anything like the Krayt Dragon from the CCG. (at least to me) Also, as I said before, I find it hard to beleive that Decipher made this character's appearance up. I am almost sure there is concept art of the character that they and WotC used while creating the cards.

There is SOOOOOO much to choose from this rich SW Universe, there is no need to copy from past games. <font size="2" face="arial">So because there is a lot to choose from, WotC should not make cards of creatures that Decipher made just because they made it? That makes no sense. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think WotC should avoid making cards that Decipher made just because they made them. The Krayt Dragon's physical role in the films may not be large, but it is acknowledged as a feirce creature that lives on Tatooine. Remember Obi-Wan makes the sound of a Krayt Dragon to scare off the Tuskins in ANH. Also you see the bones of one. I think those are enough reasons to make a card of it. At least those are enough reasons to not get ticked about them making it.

And as far as the using of cantina alien names, I NEVER said it was ripping off and that it shouldn't be aloud(look at the coment on inventors in my opening post) , I just said if I were the Decipher designers who made them up I would be pissed that the competition was using "our" names. <font size="2" face="arial">I would hardly call them competition. I would assume those names are not theirs, therefore I see nothing wrong with it. Also as I said before, it would make no sense whatsoever to make up new names for the cantina characters. What characters were named by Decipher in the first place? I thought all of their names came from expanded universe. At least the ones in the TCG.

By the way WELCOME to the boards J-bob <font size="2" face="arial">Thanks!

tauntaunweequay
11-05-2002, 11:19 AM
YOU wouldn't call Decipher and WOTC THE TWO BIGGEST CCG MAKERS..... EVER, COMPETETION????!?!

I guess McDonald's and Burger King are just best buddies in your world too huh?

Coke and Pepsi sit down and share formulas over there?

Decipher had a HUGE selling game, second only to MTG, all of a sudden their licence runs out. And ONLY b/c WOTC just so happens to now run the Fan Club, the licence gets sold to them.

WHY WOULD LUCAS TAKE AWAY A HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL money maker away and give it to somone else?

This IS competition and if I were on the Decipher team who developed the SW game I would be a little bitter. Period, this is my opinion, not anything to be confirmed or denied.

tauntaunweequay
11-05-2002, 11:23 AM
What characters???

MOST of them, before Decipher came along 90% of the Aliens(not just in the Cantina) had no names. Look at a vintage carded Hammerhead..thats all it says. There's no "momah Nadon" anywhere on there.

11-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by tauntaunweequay:
YOU wouldn't call Decipher and WOTC THE TWO BIGGEST CCG MAKERS..... EVER, COMPETETION????!?!

I guess McDonald's and Burger King are just best buddies in your world too huh?

Coke and Pepsi sit down and share formulas over there?

Decipher had a HUGE selling game, second only to MTG, all of a sudden their licence runs out. And ONLY b/c WOTC just so happens to now run the Fan Club, the licence gets sold to them.

WHY WOULD LUCAS TAKE AWAY A HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL money maker away and give it to somone else?

This IS competition and if I were on the Decipher team who developed the SW game I would be a little bitter. Period, this is my opinion, not anything to be confirmed or denied.<font size="2" face="arial">I thought you were talking about the two star wars card games. Since decipher's game is dead, I wouldn't call them competition.