PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg-Looking Box O' Decipher Cards

Findswoman
06-04-2002, 09:45 PM
I was just out at Toys 'R' Us, and I saw something very curious. There were these large flat boxes containing lots of the 10-card packs of Decipher SW:CCG cards, one for each of the expansion sets it seemed.

But the packaging itself appeared to be extremely bootleg. It said "Collectible Card Game," and had all sorts of graphics that looked SW-ish but you could tell weren't really. Although the cards in the box really were true-blue Decipher Star Wars cards!

Has anyone else seen these? And if so, does anyone know where the Sam Hill they came from, and what their story is?

Thanks!

... the Findswoman

Swiss_Army_R5
06-04-2002, 10:01 PM
They are the real cards. It's just either TRU or some company grouped them as a package and whipped up some hosery package.

Findswoman
06-04-2002, 10:51 PM
Right, I know they're the real actual Decipher cards, & I was very tempted to get them, because they were extremely inexpensive... but isn't it illegal to package them and resell them that way? It's a little funny to see that sort of thing (i.e. bootlegging!) at a "mainstream" store like TRU...

images/icons/confused.gif

... the Findswoman

Swiss_Army_R5
06-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Nah Decipher doesnt care as long as they are named as the maker of the cards. Store do these gimmicky things all the time.

Decipher may have decided to do business with the group to get rid of left over stock since they are finished with star wars. images/icons/frown.gif

Big_Dave
06-05-2002, 06:27 AM
I think I have seen what you are talking about. I am sure Decipher would let Toys R Us do whatever they want to get their product in the store.

Findswoman
06-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Well, I might just pick up a few of these wacky things, then. They seem to be very reasonably priced, in any case (no pun intended)...

How I miss those Decipher cards! images/icons/frown.gif The new Wizards ones aren't bad at all, but I really liked the Decipher ones best. I accidentally (!) gave all mine away to the Goodwill or something at one point while doing some spring cleaning, but I loved 'em to the very end. images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for the help, everyone! images/icons/smile.gif

... the Findswoman

06-05-2002, 01:57 PM
I saw them too at my TRU. Hey that rhymes images/icons/smile.gif

06-05-2002, 09:43 PM
I especially liked that Naboo Royal Starship-looking thing. I always used to have dreams about finding huge supplies of Star Wars stuff I'd never heard of, only to realize they were cheap bootlegs. Looks like this is starting to come true. It isn't a bad deal on the cards though.

Swiss_Army_R5
06-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Weird i had dreams of bootleg figs too. THere was a endor camo royal guard and a purple nikto. Heh maybe we should do a post on that.

06-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, are these selling out? Because I'm going to a TRU Wednesday (30 miles away or I'd go today) and am gonna look for them if they aren't soldout. For anyone who has bought them; is there a good selection of cards in here?

Swiss_Army_R5
06-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Nah they aren't selling out. THey aren't placed anywhere near the starwars stuff at most TRU.

FOr the price of the cards I think you are bound to get good stuff. Thankfully their is only 1 or 2 young jedi packs a box. But even these cards are at least nice to look at.

06-09-2002, 10:53 AM
I picked one up for $15.00, it's a great price images/icons/smile.gif The images on the packaging, by the way, are some of the images that are on some of the different TCG cards themselves.

06-23-2002, 06:45 PM
I bought 5 and I like them very well. I found them at my k-mart.

Wntermute
06-26-2002, 04:19 AM
I've gotten a couple boxes of these cards and the only bad thing about them is: THE GLUE.

all of the packs of cards are glued onto a cardboard backer and it's hard as hades to yank them off.. and when you do, you either rip open the booster or yank a hunk of cardboard off with it.

They should use the glue some mags use to hold subscription or special inserts in with (those who get the Playstation magazine with the demo discs will know what kind of glue)