PDA

View Full Version : Prequel Casting - Good and Bad choices

Eight_Nunb
01-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Which actors do you think were great casting decisions, and which ones were bad (or could have been better).

GOOD:

Liam Niesson - (best prequel casting job)
Ewan McGregor - (could have better, but he's ok)
Christopher Lee - (Dooku is the shiznit!!)
Captain Typho - (did a good job)
Captain Tanaka - (thought he was cool)
Jango Fett
Owen and Beru Lars
Cleigg Lars
Watto - (great voice)
Sio Bibble - (believable, did a good job)

BAD:

Jake Loyd (sp?) - (could have been worse, but annoying!)
Hayden Christiansen - (worst casting of the prequels! horrible actor & annoying!!)
Natalie Portman - (looks great, can't act. Should have just stuck with a modelling career)
Boba Fett Kid - (i want to punch him. Looks more like Captain Typho than Jango)

[ 01-25-2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Eight_Nunb ]

r2d2_26
01-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Just my opinion:

I agree with most of yours, but I think Ewan McGreggor is very good.
Hayden Christensen and Natalie were ok; I don't think they were terrible at all.
Shmi and young, 9 y/o Anakin could have been better.
Ahmed Best did a good job as Jar Jar, although his character might sometimes get annoying (just like Gollum in LOTR is super annoying, but the actor did a good job).

Neal
01-26-2004, 04:52 PM
The only person I have trouble with is Jake Lloyd. Yes, he definitely has the right "look" for the part, but I thought his acting ability left a little to be desired.
Besides that, I think the Prequels have been cast just fine.

GNT
01-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Hayden Christensen is right for the part espicially after seeing the video footage the other day.

Jedi_Knight
01-26-2004, 08:46 PM
I liked Hayden in E2 and I saw the clip from E3 and he looks even better for the part of Anakin. He is anoying because that is the character.

Nameless
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Most of the voice actors have been excellent. Andrew Secombe as Watto, Steven Spiers as Captain Tarpals, Peter Serafinowicz as Maul, Ron Falk as Dexter, Rena Owen as Taun We, and Anthony Phelan as Lama Su. Other notable talents are Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee, Ewan McGregor (the popular fan choice to be Obi-Wan before he was cast), Temuera Morrison, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Brian Blessed and Ahmed Best stumbled over their Gungan dialects, Brian making Boss Nass sound slow instead of stoic, and Jar Jar had too high a voice (like the worst female telemarkers on Earth). Ahmed has a great voice, they should have used it without exaggeration. Nute Gunray's voice (uncredited?) was probably the low point of the prequels, though, it's bad when you want him to shut up and let Rune Haako (James Taylor) do all the talking (

Most of the rest is just average work, with a few exceptions. Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman had terrible delivery and timing of their dialogue. I can understand Jake, but I don't know why Natalie was struggling. Ralph Brown as Ric Oliť was probably the worst, though...Lucas wrote him to his death.

r2d2_26
01-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Off the top of my head, the only scene I can think of right now that I thought was pretty bad with Anakin and Padme in Ep. 1 was when Anakin says:
"I care for you too, only I..." and Padme says: "... miss your mother."
I don't know what you guys think about this one.

With Obi-Wan and Anakin in Ep. 2, I would say the scene where they have that little argument in front of Padme and the others: "Why?" "What?" "Why do you think they hired us if not to find the killer?" etc. etc.
I thought the dialogue there sounded a little too "exagerated" if you know what I mean. On the other hand, maybe it was meant to sound like that to show Obi and Anakin's frustrations with each other.

CharWars
01-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I agree, Hayden Christiansen blew in Ep II.

You take George Lucas' horrible dialogue and top it off with bad acting/delivery and that's a recipe for disaster.

As far as I'm concerned Ewan Macgregor is the only thing holding the prequels together as far as acting goes. And even he gets Lucasitis sometimes. THe opening scene with Anakin in the elevator is a prime example.

Durge
01-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Hayden - "Okay"
Natalie - Good
Ewan - Excellent
Ahmed - Sucks
Samuel - Good, but doesn't have good lines

Neal
01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Eight_Nunb:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
I liked Hayden in E2 and I saw the clip from E3 and he looks even better for the part of Anakin. He is anoying because that is the character. <font size="2" face="arial">he's annoying because he can't act and Lucas gave him horrible dialogue. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">But he CAN act. I just don't think Lucas directs actors that well. Couple that with some questionable dialogue at times, and Hayden doesn't come across that well.
Check out Life As a House or Shattered Glass if you want to see Hayden act.

r2d2_26
01-28-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree. I thought Hayden was great in Life as a House.

About Natalie, I liked her very much in that small part she had on the movie Cold Mountain.

Neal
01-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by r2d2_26:

About Natalie, I liked her very much in that small part she had on the movie Cold Mountain. <font size="2" face="arial">Same here.
Both of them are proven actors...and good ones at that.
George is more interested in telling his story and getting the scenes completed so the effects crews can take over. I don't think he's a great character director, and it shows.
Luckily, from what I've read, this doesn't seem to be the case with Episode III.

Eight_Nunb
01-29-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
I liked Hayden in E2 and I saw the clip from E3 and he looks even better for the part of Anakin. He is anoying because that is the character. <font size="2" face="arial">he's annoying because he can't act and Lucas gave him horrible dialogue.

r2d2_26
01-29-2004, 01:44 AM
Luckily, from what I've read, this doesn't seem to be the case with Episode III. <font size="2" face="arial">What do you mean? I haven't been reading too many spoilers, so I am not as informed about Ep.3. Do you mean that someone else is helping with directing or writing the script, or something like that? Or do you mean that Lucas seems to be doing a better job this time?

Herbert_Ackermans
01-29-2004, 03:22 AM
That would be quite a bold statement, as so far, no real acting bits have been released or leaked.

No dialogue has been heard, so any references to good acting in Ep-3 are quite unfounded.

Neal
01-29-2004, 08:51 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial"> Luckily, from what I've read, this doesn't seem to be the case with Episode III. <font size="2" face="arial">What do you mean? I haven't been reading too many spoilers, so I am not as informed about Ep.3. Do you mean that someone else is helping with directing or writing the script, or something like that? Or do you mean that Lucas seems to be doing a better job this time? </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">According to what some of the main actors are saying, Lucas is doing a better job this time (to them, at least). Both Hayden and Ewan have said that not only is the script better, but that George has allowed the actors to be more involved and have more input into their performances. They both feel he's giving them more freedom to act out scenes, and letting them interpret the characters more. From the sounds of that, it can only be a good thing.
That's what I base my comments on, Herbert . Obviously, I haven't seen any displays of it yet. But...seeing that Hayden and Ewan (especially) are both pretty decent actors, I go by what they say.
Will it turn out that way on the final edit of the film...who knows?

bjlevine
01-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Well, I haven't seen E3 yet, so all I have to go on is the script, dialogue and acting in TPM and AOTC. But I'll refrain from commenting on the acting in E3.

At this point, all of the main actors have done good work in other films, so I can only point the blame at the director and the screenwriter...anybody know their names? images/icons/wink.gif

Neal
01-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bjlevine:

At this point, all of the main actors have done good work in other films, so I can only point the blame at the director and the screenwriter...anybody know their names? images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I totally agree with you.
George's dialogue has been a little rough, and like I said up above, he isn't the best director when it comes to directing actors.

Newob
01-31-2004, 06:40 AM
GOOD:
Ewan- perfect choice, and the best cast of the PT
Natalie- great actress, just not so far in the PT
Liam- terific role for him, not his best acting.
Ray- giant advantage for him, did very well.

BAD:
Samuel-just not a role for such an action actor
Ahmed-im sure hes great, but his whole Jar Jar SUX
Christopher- just getting too old, and why Count? i had enough of his Dracula bit in the 60's and 70's.

THE WORST CASTING JOB FOR THE STAR WARS PREQUALS:
George Lucas as director, he is a great writer, but he blows as the man behind the cam. The bad acting we all have complained about is spose to be the directors job. he wells cut, lets do it again, and this time let me see more emotion, and quit sounding ,like your reading off the Q cards.

You wanted an opinion, there it is. sorry if you don't like it.

Eight_Nunb
02-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rayne:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Eight_Nunb:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
I liked Hayden in E2 and I saw the clip from E3 and he looks even better for the part of Anakin. He is anoying because that is the character. <font size="2" face="arial">he's annoying because he can't act and Lucas gave him horrible dialogue. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">But he CAN act. I just don't think Lucas directs actors that well. Couple that with some questionable dialogue at times, and Hayden doesn't come across that well.
Check out Life As a House or Shattered Glass if you want to see Hayden act. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">i've never seen Hayden's other work, but i know for a fact that he can't act in EP2. Bad dialogue or not. Liam Neison and Ian McDiarmid did exceptional jobs with the prequel scripts, so i have to believe that someone could have pulled off Anakin a lot better.

jawas_rule
02-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Just my opinion:

I agree with most of yours, but I think Ewan McGreggor is very good.
Hayden Christensen and Natalie were ok; I don't think they were terrible at all.
Shmi and young, 9 y/o Anakin could have been better.
Ahmed Best did a good job as Jar Jar, although his character might sometimes get annoying (just like Gollum in LOTR is super annoying, but the actor did a good job). <font size="2" face="arial">I couldn't disagree more about your comment that Shmi (Pernilla August) could have been better. Her performance has to date been one of the most "human" performances in the prequel trilogy. Considering she couldn't even speak English a few months before production began, I think she turned in a wonderful performance.

02-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Good

Terrence Stamp - Great actor.

Temuera Morrison - Nobody could have done a better job as Jango Fett.

Christopher Lee - An excellent choice to play Count Dooku.

Ian McDiarmid - Has made Palpatine a very interesting character.

Liam Neeson - Fantastic actor.

Ewan McGregor - Before I saw TPM I was skeptical, but he was very good in both films.

Jimmy Smits - Such a great choice to play Bail Organa. I wish that Lucas would have given him more screen time.

Jay Laga'aia - Very good pick to play Captain Typho.

Bad

Jake Lloyd - A very poor actor.

Samuel Jackson - I am not naming him here because he is a bad actor, but because he is sort of a distraction. Whenever I see him on screen I keep thinking of some of the weird characters that he has played in other movies.

Ralph Brown - Bad idea having him play Ric Olie.

Undecided

Hayden Christensen - I thought at times that he was very good, but he also had some very bad scenes. I will have to wait and see Episode 3 before I really decide if I like him or not.

r2d2_26
02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
I like Anthony Daniels as C3PO, but his job on Ep. 2 was not his best, in my opinion. His character in the other SW movies was good.

Neil
02-05-2004, 12:15 PM
If were talking good choices and not abilities i would say

Excellent:
Ian McDiarmid
Ewan McGregor

Good:
Natalie Portman (backfired as she hasnt really pulled her weight)
Sam Jackson
Hayden (He has done a satisfying job in a very overwhelming role- forget the script and you can see hes not bad)
Christopher Lee

Bad:
Ahmed Best (well he was a dancer, not really a good actor)
Jake Lloyd (lovely kid, he didnt do no wrong but there were so many more talented kids out there)

Undecided:
Temura Morrison - did we really need a new zealand accent?
Ray Park - Good martial artist, stuntman, fair as an actor but we did not see this due to lack of lines-and the fact that Ray did not speak them.

Inigo_Montoya
02-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Not Bad -
I believe TPM would not have been as enjoyable had Liam Neeson not been casted. Made for a very admirable senior Jedi.

Not Good -
Terrence Stamp's casting as Valorum was worthless.
I don't care much for his acting abilities, but because he is like a B actor, it's pretty bad that he wasn't given much dialogue to work with.

Newob
02-12-2004, 01:37 AM
one thing i dont get about Ray Park. how is it he was one of the coolest Dark Jedi, gets a little too cocky, and gets guinsued at the waist, then returns in the sleepy hollow movie, and hes only liced at the head. how the heck did they do that? images/icons/confused.gif

images/icons/grin.gif

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
02-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Excellent:

Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon)
Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan)
Ian McDairmid (Palpatine)
Temura Morrison (Jango)
Christopher Lee (Dooku)
Oliver Ford Davies (Sio Bibble)

Good:

Terence Stamp (Valorum)
Hayden Christiansen (Skywalker)
Ahmed Best (Jar Jar) (Good for portraying the character, even if the character stinks, which it does)
Hugh Quarshie (Panaka)
Jake Lloyd (Skywalker)
Samuel L. Jackson (Windu)

Bad:

Natalie Portman (not arguing with her looks or her talents, but her character in the prequels was AWFUL)
Jay Laga'ia (or however you spell that) (Typho)
Daniel Logan (Boba)

Worst:

Jimmy Smits

i know i'm forgeting people, but whatever; that list is long enough

rikdom
02-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Newob Palpatine:
one thing i dont get about Ray Park. how is it he was one of the coolest Dark Jedi, gets a little too cocky, and gets guinsued at the waist, then returns in the sleepy hollow movie, and hes only liced at the head. how the heck did they do that? images/icons/confused.gif

images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">At least he didn't get his tongue cut off in X-Men

blaster_E11
02-29-2004, 08:55 AM
i prefer jake loyd acting in ER

grandpa_yoda
03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
the good

Liam Neesom
Christopher Lee
Ewan mcgregor
the bad
Natalie portman(nice midriff)

the ugly

Jake loyd and jar jar binks

Jedi1019
03-24-2004, 09:35 AM
The Excellent: Ewan McGregor, Could not have picked it better.
Zam Wesell, Hot and Spicey.
Hayden Christiansen, Leave him alone.. I think after we see his performance in III, people will change their minds on this one.
The Bad: Boba Fett, Need I say, "Get him dad"
The Librarian???, She was just a rude old B@#$H.
Sorry if I offended anyone!!!!

Dewlanna
04-02-2004, 12:02 PM
I thought Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee, Temura Morrison and Liam Neesen were great choices.

I personally liked Hayden and Natalie as well.

I think we ought to blame the directing rather than the actors for any performances that seemed subpar. I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed both prequels so far and am eagerly awaiting Episode III.

Jediknight760071
04-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Sam Jackson in Ep1 got on my nerves.

Trex
04-22-2004, 10:30 AM
I agree with Rayne.. I think most of the choices were fine, Lucas just doesn't direct them very well.. or let them act.. Although, Hayden probably wouldn't have been my first choice for Anakin.

41johnson
04-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Try to remember that these actors are working in a blue room being asked to react to an "X" taped on the wall. That's got to be pretty tough.

GNT
04-30-2004, 03:52 AM
Try to remember that these actors are working in a blue room being asked to react to an "X" taped on the wall. That's got to be pretty tough.

They still use a number of built sets/locations and minatures for the PT films it's just that characters are now CGI so they are talking to thin air or a person in a blue suit. Theres more built sets and real people in costumes unlike the previous 2 films which should make it real like and fit in with the OT.

bjlevine
04-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Can you imagine the late Alec Guiness' attitude towards SW had he done the PT, having to converse with CG characters?

GNT
05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
He hated it then,I'm sure he'd probably walk off the set if he was still around today.His an old school actor who never had to talk to thin air unlike most actors these days.