PDA

View Full Version : Qui-Gon's Death...

spires75
11-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Can anyone tell me the reason behind the whole disappearing thing when Jedi die but when Qui-Gon bit it he just laid there? I'm not sure if Vader/Anakin at the end of ROTJ disappeared but we could assume that so why the difference?

I thought GL was also going to explain that in AOTC. I missed that if that indeed happend. A little enlightenment please...

echo1441
11-03-2003, 05:18 PM
i don't anyone can tell you with any amount of certainty. but i think this issue may be resolved in e3. i think it may have been foreshadowed by yoda hearing qui-qon scream anakin...no right before his encounter with the tuskens

obi1kevnobi
11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
I still think we will Qui-Gon in E3. Remember in ESB Yoda clearly states "Luminous beings are we". He is also not spooked when Obi appears. I am sure it will be explained. Well, heres hoping anyway.

TB744
11-04-2003, 10:47 AM
I doubt it'll be Qui-Gon. This was posted on theforce.net October 11th. Here's a short clip.

Neeson said he expects nothing different when Episode III, in which he is not involved, is released in 2005 to complete the prequel trilogy.

Yet Neeson has no regrets about his own participation in Star Wars lore, despite feeling that he did less than stellar work in 1999 in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace.

"The one I did, I loved working on it," he said, "and I loved working with George Lucas."

Looks like we won't be seeing the ghost of Qui-Gon in Episode III. Thanks to Hangman Palpatine and SharpShooter for the alerts!

So unless they use old footage of him and just make it into spirit form with no dialog I am guessing the spirit will most likely be Mace since he is the 2nd strongest to Yoda.

Herbert_Ackermans
11-05-2003, 05:56 AM
It really is something where George Flamingoed up big time.

A whole problem is created by Qui-Gon not disappearing like Yoda and Ben did. Vader is still open, as we see only his armour being burned, and we don't know if anything organic is or is not inside.

Had Qui-Gon simple done what we expect from a dead Jedi, we wouldn't have had this problem.

So why didn't he?

The fact the Arena is littered with dead Jedi in AOTC is in fact explained by this problem. Not all Jedi disappear.

So, how come some do and others don't?

And we get another plothole that needs to be filled in Ep-3.

Darth_Incubus
11-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Since TPM, I've always thought of the Jedi disappearing act in these terms:

Yoda and Obi-Wan died "willingly". Essentially accepting the fact that they were about to die and embracing it.

Every other Jedi whom we have seen since die has been cut down in the heat of battle. While one could argue that Obi-Wan died in battle, he still surrendered himself to dying before the deathblow had been struck.

Anakin's death came as a sacrifice to saving Luke, so he inadvertantly surrendered himself to death, as well.

So, how does Qui-Gon's essence live on? I can't answer that one. Maybe it has something to do with his fixation on the "living force". With a little luck, GL will actually come up with a reasonable explanation while he demonstrates how Obi-Wan and Anakin were actually "good friends".

Deak_Starkiller
11-09-2003, 09:50 AM
I think the whole Jedi disappearing 'act' was originally designed to add some mystic appeal to the Force back during the Original Trilogy. But to establish that as a 'rule' in the current trilogy would create a sort of "now you see them, now you don't" situation. Like for example, you might see dozens of dead Jedi bodies in the Geonosian arena, and the next thing you know, they all disappear leaving just heaps of battledroids all around the scene (what gives?).

In this case, Lucas would have then develop some sort of condition that is somewhat compatible to what is originally intented in the OT while simultaneously making the whole Jedi disappearing 'act' a bit less silly for the PT.

Til next report....

Jrosen
11-11-2003, 09:36 AM
If you remember from ANH, Vader was shocked that OB1 disappeared. He bent down and pushed the cloak around. I think that would be a big clue that it is very rare for a Jedi to disappear especially since Vader kills most of the Jedi.

Jrosen
11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Herbert Ackermans:
Knowing a technique isn't going to keep you from being surprised by it's use.<font size="2" face="arial">True, but if you have seen it done many times then you are not going to be surprised when it happens again. With this, I think that it is very rare and only a select few know how to do it. With that, maybe Yoda taught obi-wan and obi-wan taught Anakin. That would make Vader surprised when Obi-Wan disappears.

Newob
11-12-2003, 01:06 AM
the reeason sone jedi vade into the force and others just die is simple. if you get your butt kicked, you just die and become one with the force later. if you release yourself into the force before your body dies, then you become one truly with the force. this is why we hear bens voice imediately after he dies and he apears in tesb, and we have to wiat a whole movie to hear qui's voice, it took him longer for his spirit to become one with the force. and dont ask me to explain vader, he just that cool

bjlevine
11-12-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Jrosen:
If you remember from ANH, Vader was shocked that OB1 disappeared. He bent down and pushed the cloak around. I think that would be a big clue that it is very rare for a Jedi to disappear especially since Vader kills most of the Jedi. <font size="2" face="arial">Well, what's clear is that Vader (Anakin) doesn't know about the technique, so how does he appear at the end of ROTJ (and why doesn't Yoda slap him upside the head)?

Herbert_Ackermans
11-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Knowing a technique isn't going to keep you from being surprised by it's use.

But we only know of 3 people who came back from the dead in spirit form, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin.

We do hear Qui-Gon's voice, but we do not see his spirit.

Maybe due to this, Yoda uncovers this technique to maintain ones person after death.

Mobile_Artillery
11-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi guys,
There's also a thread in the Classic Trilogy here (http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000773;p=1#000 013).

Jedi_Knight
11-20-2003, 03:57 PM
HEre is what I have always believed. Yda and Obi were very powerful Jedi. They had a long time to sit and meditate and learn more and more of the Force. They never really Die. I saw it more as giving themselves up to the force. As said Yoda tells Luke Luminous beings are we not thtis crude matter. So all that die maybe not the sith becoem one with the force but they just chose when to go instead of actually having their life end naturally. I look at it as the final lesson of a Jedi. As far as being around to talk to Luke. That could just be explained much like spirits in this word they had unfinished business and needed to be there for Luke.

Gti_r_Jedi
12-08-2003, 06:45 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Jedi with a higher than average count of midi-chlorins have a greater chance of being one with the Force when they expire.
I then remembered Qui-Gon telling Obi-Wan about Anakins count being higher than even Master Yodas.
So how come Yoda transferred immediately and Anakin(Vader) did not??

Come on George!Put us out of our misery images/icons/wink.gif

Regards
Paul Bullock

bjlevine
12-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Gti-r...Jedi:
I remember reading somewhere that Jedi with a higher than average count of midi-chlorins have a greater chance of being one with the Force when they expire.
I then remembered Qui-Gon telling Obi-Wan about Anakins count being higher than even Master Yodas.
So how come Yoda transferred immediately and Anakin(Vader) did not??

Come on George!Put us out of our misery images/icons/wink.gif

Regards
Paul Bullock <font size="2" face="arial">I can just about promise you that whatever explanation we get in E3 will be almost universally hated.

As for your theory, there is no real evidence that Obi-Wan was anything more than your garden variety Jedi, yet he did the disappearing act with ease in the midst of combat.

And frankly, Back in the day, I didn't need an explanation. I was perfectly happy with the spiritual aspect of the Force, which GL seems intent on eradicating.

macross7
12-10-2003, 04:52 PM
The dissappearing act is just a Jedi's way of not having their friends have to pay for a burial. No body=no costs.
Qui-Gon was a rebel that said 'screw you, I'm making you use $$ on my funeral". So he left his rotting corpse there to be Bar-B-Qued that night. (Little known fact is that the Gungans ate his cooked corpse as soon as the scene was over. Circle-of-life.)

Mobile_Artillery
12-10-2003, 06:54 PM
images/icons/grin.gif