PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Edit

09-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Without getting into a discussion about ethics, etc. has anyone here seen The Phantom Edit (The Phantom Menace edited by a fan)? And if so, what did you think of it?

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
09-09-2003, 01:03 AM
I've seen it, you can get it easily off Grokster or Kazaa...

My take is it's really not as good as everyone makes it out to be. I like TPM and AOTC. There was no need to cut out JarJar... My take is, He could be one of the more important characters due to him speaking up and giving the nomination of Palpatine having FULL power. When you think about it... HE'S why Palpatine was puit in that position. Padme would have never done it. He was duped.

[ 09-09-2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Ray N Quiet Rob ]

Jeremy
09-09-2003, 03:31 AM
I've got it. Don't get to worked up by it - cutting out Jar Jar and Anakin doesn't mean it gets any better. If you had a tonne of manure and you took away a shovel-full it isn't going to stink any less is it?

Jeremy

GNT
09-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Jar Jars one of the coolest Prequel characters out there besides Pablo-Jill (http://www.petitiononline.com/hasbro02/petition.html) and Wat Tambor of course.

09-13-2003, 03:07 AM
When that version surfaced L.A Times did a whole spread on it I remember thinking what an idiot removing Jar-Jar and all, made a dull movie worse at least Jar-Jar helped me stay awake with all these dull characters running around.

Kris
09-13-2003, 10:27 AM
I have seen it.. a bit, and I have it even burned on a disk... mixed feelings about it..

but not that bad..

bjlevine
09-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth X:
Do you really hate Jar-Jar that bad or are you just being a little sheep because you heard someone else say it first?
<font size="2" face="arial">Yeah, we hate Jar Jar that much...maybe more.

What does he add to the Saga? He's not funny. he's basically a racist stereotype made PC via CG. I guess without Jar Jar, there would be no Frogs vs. Robots battle in TPM...big loss.

And he gets duped into recommending emergency powers for Palps in AOTC. Great, didn't I see an episode of Andy Griffith where Goober gets duped into nominating Barney for something? Not funny then, either.

Face it...Jar Jar's biggest fans are the Ewoks, who are thankful that he replaced them at the top of the SW Suck list.

[ 09-15-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: bjlevine ]

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
09-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by spiderlegs:
OK, the "fan" was Kevin Smith. This is the Kevin Smith edit. Where do you find it?!?! I must own it! <font size="2" face="arial">No... it wasn't Kevin Smith. Kevin actually has stated several times over he had nothing to do with it... he's also been known for commenting on how he did NOT dislike JarJar.

spiderlegs
09-16-2003, 12:47 AM
OK, the "fan" was Kevin Smith. This is the Kevin Smith edit. Where do you find it?!?! I must own it!

09-16-2003, 02:36 AM
I'm with Kevin Smith, I too do not dislike Jar-Jar which was a big reason for the Phantom Edit in the first place, he was put in there for the kids and Lucas himself said that these movies are "made for 12 year olds" contrary to the crying fanboys beliefs these movies are not made for us, I'm not saying he doesn't owe the fans something sure he does we buy all his licensed crap, so of course he's gonna throw us some bones but his primary responsibility is not us it is to make a movie that sells enough tickets and popcorn so that he could have enough money to do the next one and pay his employees at the same time that's it no more no less, it apparently worked TPM made 429 million and worldwide gross about doubled that at 920 million, so the formula worked from that point of view and Jar-Jar served his purpose in that formula that is to make the kids laugh, help sell some toys, and of course some movie tickets. images/icons/smile.gif

DukeJoey__of_ERG
10-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Kevin Smith makes a good film, that doesn't make him all that bright. jarjar was nothing but a mix of sterotypes, comic sight gags from that last 100 years, and not being human.......that's it. You can't take anything he says seriously because he can't even pronounce it. He is a joke with no punch line, something to laugh at that I have yet to do. C-3p0 was funnier in a way that didn't betray this movie as something whimsical. It's scifi, but it's also a melodrama; getting obsessed with a comic character is a loss of focus.I have a Phantom Edit, and I watch it instead of TPM for many reasons, jarjar ain't the only one: Anakin doesn't say "Yippee!" or 1000 "oops!" Tiny cuts that take a little too much silliness and pointless garbage out of what could have been a pretty fine prequel. A few more examples:
Anakin jumps into the fighter and activates everything, but on PURPOSE.
Jarjar's speech about the Gungans is shortened, leaving in his pride about the warriors and leaving out the babble.
The midichlorian speech is GONE.
The analysis of Anakin's blood is halved, leaving out any repetitive statements and uses the term Midichlorian only once.
The speech about being mindful yada yada at the beginning is left out.
Jarjar talking about gungan city is shortened, leaving out that he is banished.
"Warm Welcome" speech gone.
Qui-Gon speaking to the Gungans is trimmed to keep things moving along.
Jarjar talking about being banished(complete babble) is out.
Gooberfish atacks are out.
Dozens of tinier cuts that take a bit of silliness out that what is said all throughout the film.
All in all, about 20 minutes of useless material that just don't help the film are gone. And trust me, a LOT more could have been lost and unmissed. I have the first version, would like to have the east coast version with subtitles in place of awful alien voices!