PDA

View Full Version : Jango Fett?

ezehogan
05-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Does anybody else here feel that Jango Fett was never part of this "vision" that George Lucas had back in the 70's, but was rather added in to leech off of the popularity of Boba Fett?

I mean, Boba Fett did not play much of a role in the OT. He was non-existant in ANH (until the special edition), he had few speaking lines in ESB, and in ROTJ he just nodded a couple of times and got thrown into the sarlacc pit.

Then, we find out in the prequels that he is a clone, and that an entire clone army was created from his father. It doesn't feel right to have his father play such an intregral role in the time line, and have virtually a whole movie revolve around him, yet the son just has what could be best described as a couple of cameos.

Its for these reasons that I almost wish the prequels were left unfinished. I feel they were thrown together to do little more than line Lucas's pockets with more money. They ruin the continuity of the OT (what it had anyway), they ruin stories written about characters such as Boba Fett that were much better than the "official" story, and they cheapen the legacy by concentrating on special effects and CGI so much. I mean, why can't they build a real set sometime?

Anyway, enough of my rant. What do you all think?

05-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but Boba Fett was always a clone according to all the E.U. storys before Episode One.

No doubt Jango was an appeasement. People still like him though.

05-31-2003, 02:41 AM
I agree that Jango Fett was not a part of Lucas's "vision" for the prequels. I also pray every night that neither was Jar-Jar.

HWR
05-31-2003, 08:24 AM
I too agree on that statement.

There is no need for Jango IMO, just added him because of Boba Fett's popularity. I also belive it was GL's intention to let Boba Fett die in RotJ, it wasn't his idea to let him survive the Sarlacc.

Sincerely
-Henrik

Kris
06-01-2003, 05:54 PM
well, diving in an animal is not really a way to die... he is alive images/icons/wink.gif

unles he got teared in pieces, he can be alive images/icons/wink.gif

and isn't it that "you will finda new dimension in pain and suffering, whle you will be digested in a thousand years..."

doesn't that mean that you are still alive when you are digested ? images/icons/wink.gif

darth maul is dead, he is in 2, so is Jang, but boba isn't ! images/icons/grin.gif

hansloroll
06-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Only time will tell in this matter.

I think also that Jango was added to cash in on the popularity shared by his progeny.He was initially called Jaster mereel in the books which we now find was nonexistent in their timeline.

The fate of Boba is still up in the air as we may never see the aftermath of the entire rebellions dismantling of the Empire.

Yak
06-03-2003, 05:49 PM
I see your point but to be honest I'm not so sure. The reason there is all this hype around Boba Fett is because in very early drafts of ESB apparently Boba Fett had a much larger role (and this of course was promoted by the licensing div. of Lucas film).
Lucas likes to re-use and juggle ideas, he clearly lked the character of Boba Fett himself, almost certainly wrote a back story for him. Who's to say that back story isn't what we see in EII?! I guess we'll never know.
It did appear from what we see and hear of Boba Fett in the OT its pretty obvious we were going to see him in the prequils.

It is a very good question and one thats crossed my mind more than once. You could argue either way, but at the end of the day Jango rox! images/icons/smile.gif

Mr_MojoRisin
06-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Even so, I like Jango. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have been in it. Although I don't think he was a part of the "original vision".

CPrompt
06-07-2003, 05:27 PM
I doubt that Jango was part of GL's "vision". I am not totally sure that the clones being made from Jango was even in GL's past.

To tell ya the truth, I really didn't know that the clones were "the good guys". In ANH, when Ben was talking about fighting in the clone wars, I thought that the Jedi were fighting the clones, not with them.

Eigh, Jango is still cool. And yes, according to the books, Boba survives the pit, not feeling that good I'm sure, but he's alive.

Lucas always kills off the cool characters in the most asinine ways. I mean, come on.

Herbert_Ackermans
06-26-2003, 02:12 PM
I do know that I read somewhere, can't ever remember where, that said that Lando Calrissian was a clone/template for the clones.

But I feel the whole Jango-Boba-Clones storyline stretching belief.

Yes, Jango and Boba are cool-looking characters in the same way we adore Vader, and think Stormtroopers are way more interesting than simple rebel-soldiers.

But I never believed that waaaaaaay back when Lucas got his story for SW, that Jango existed.

All in all, he could've chosen Dengar as the template for the clones... naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

There are 3 things that I can say I'm convinced about them only being there as hoping to re-connect with the fans of the OT:
Jango Fett, the AT-TE and the Republic Cruiser.
Jango equals Boba.
AT-TE equals AT-AT though a lot less intimidating.
Republic Cruiser equals Star Destroyer, although the Jedi Starfighter has been designed as an AS as well.

Also, the DS hologram was a feeble graps towards ANH, unless it's supposed to be a big item in Ep-3.

JoshEEE
06-26-2003, 05:36 PM
I've always maintained that Jango Fett is a walking, talking toy commercial. He was inserted haphazardly into Episode II for no other purpose than to cash in on that subculture of fanboys who have been drooling over Boba Fett since his 2 minutes of screen time 20 years ago.

Jango was the frickin Jar Jar of the 2nd movie for me. The only difference is his toys sold better.

It's too bad Jango Fettish is banned, or he'd be able to come to his man's aid. How desperately this thread needs him today. images/icons/grin.gif

radfury
06-27-2003, 08:39 AM
jango fettish got banned!?!?!? images/icons/shocked.gif whoa!

anyway, i kinda agree with the above statement, jango was a cash in on boba fett. but i dont believe that that is the only reason he was put in episode 2. i mean even if you look back at old data cards, boba and the stormtroopers are the exact same size. plus GL said that he had always planned on boba being linked to the stormtroopers in some way or another; so what he did made since to me and i liked it. but i do admit that there is an over abundance of jango stuff at retailers. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Billy_Ray
07-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Why did Jango Fettish get banned???

JoshEEE
07-10-2003, 05:09 PM
He's back now....still waiting for him to take the bait and come yell at all of us for dissing his boy.

Jango_Fettish
07-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Darth-Wulff:

There is no need for Jango IMO, just added him because of Boba Fett's popularity.<font size="2" face="arial">Only a matter of time, Josh. images/icons/tongue.gif

I have already concurred on all accounts that Jango Fett was an apeasement to Boba Fett fans boys. Maybe even as a character to settle the score since he "unmasked" Boba Fett in Episode 2. I guess 2 Fetts don't make a right for some people though.

Now, I still think there was a need for Jango.
Sure he wasn't part of the gran scheme of things, but if you followed Boba Fett's backstory, you know it read as so. Boba was from a long line of Mandalorian warriors. In order to explain his origins, he had to depict his history on film.

Jango Fett was a logicial choice. Had it not been Jango, it would have been some other Mandalorian bounty hunter in order for the E.U. stories, of whic hthat were written before Episode 1, to flow correctly.

I don't get the whole "Jaster Mereel" bit either.
Jaster Mereel in recent E.U. was the first in command of the Mandalorian Army. He is the one that took Jango Fett in after his parents were slain. Jango eventually ended up taking on the role of leading the army after Jaster died, and eventually, all but one faded away.

What it basically boils down to is GL putting in jango Fett as an appeasement, then making it right by giving him a very interesting and entruguing story line in Jango Fett: Open Seasons, which flows right into the Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and the rendevouz with Dooku.

It may be a little too late for some who feel Jango Fett was the cash cow of AOTC though.

Over time, I have come to agree with most people. Thing is, I don't care. Every main character in Star Wars is marketable, some of which may be made for just that.

Unlike most fairweather fans, I am totally engaged in the character of Jango Fett. From the attitude, the armor, and right down to the actor underneath the costume. I am a big Temuera Morrison fan, so my loyalty goes much deeper.

So, like I said. I agree with you guys, and maybe he was just a cash cow slash appeasement. But, I find it hard to believe that they could explain Boba Fett and the clones existance without a Mandalorian warrior figure. Jango Fett, a father to Boba, was just a logical and sensible choice.

bobaphat28
07-30-2003, 12:10 AM
I agree that Jango had to have been added as a means to cash in on the Boba craze. Also I think some of the story was bent to make this possible. GL probably has a basic outline that he works from for the events of all the movies and kind of forms the story to that. Hence we see clonetroopers that are somewhat a hybrid between the armor of a stormtrooper and a mandalorian suit. Was this always his plan..........doubt it. Jango is a cool character to explain the evolution of Boba even though I was a bigger fan of the Jaster Mareel story myself...it had alot more substance if you asked me. GL can and should be able to do as he pleases......its his creation, but I do sometimes see it as a big commercial venture and at times he tries to satisfy kids and toy / merchandise intrests as well.... from the tease site of Boba in the Holiday Special Cartoon untill now...I think GL knows that a character in armor like that is appealing........as for the cartoon of Durge in Clone Wars...I think thats a little too far!

bjlevine
07-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, personally I was hoping for more insight to the Mandalorian culture. But, I also don't like that the mystique surrounding Boba is gone. Now, all I can think of is that smarmy little kid with the Brooklyn accent.

Jango_Fettish
07-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Daniel Logan? Thats a Maori accent, he and Temuera both are from New Zealand. They are indeed true to life Kiwi's. images/icons/wink.gif

[ 07-30-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Jango Fettish ]

bjlevine
07-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Jango Fettish:
Daniel Logan? Thats a Maori accent, he and Temuera both are from New Zealand. They are indeed true to life Kiwi's. images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Sorry, the laugh threw me.

07-31-2003, 09:52 PM
I agree that Jango Fett was not a part of Lucas's "vision" for the prequels. I also pray every night that neither was Jar-Jar. <font size="2" face="arial">Nothing more true, I do abit of praying on the Jar Jar thing too! images/icons/wink.gif

Jagdohh_Fett
08-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Jango Fett was never part of this "vision" that George Lucas had back in the 70's, but was rather added in to leech off of the popularity of Boba Fett<font size="2" face="arial">Couldn't have said it better myself. I liked it better when Boba was a mystery.