PDA

View Full Version : How many times did YOU watch AOTC?

Dewlanna
04-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey all! I was just curious about this. My last count is 19. 14 in the theater and 5 at home. Can anybody beat that? (Yes, I have no life.)

I personally love to rewatch movies that I like - every time you notice something new. I've seen the OT more times than I even know (all through childhood and a couple of times more recently) and TPM 3 times. I've seen both LOTR movies I think 7 times each. Again, I have no life.

How 'bout everyone else?

Neal
04-28-2003, 06:15 PM
I think I could beat you, but it would be pretty close.
I saw AOTC 13 times in the theater (including once digitally, and once at the IMAX), and I've watched it completely on DVD at least 8 times.
I guess that would put me at 21 viewings...possibly more.
I'm such a geek! images/icons/grin.gif

r2d2_26
04-28-2003, 10:37 PM
I've never seen a movie in the theater as many times as AOTC. I saw at least 14 times (both digital and film versions), and then once more in IMAX. At home I have seen it at least 7 times. I can't wait till Ep. 3 comes out, so I can watch it a lot of times again (hopefully I won't be dissapointed). I love watching Star Wars movies at the theater with the fans.

By the way, I saw TPM about 7 times at the theater, and at home at least 12 times.

Mike_S
04-29-2003, 05:50 AM
I saw TPM 17 times at the theatre and AOTC only 9 times.
I wanted to see it more, but other things got in the way

Obi_Robz
04-29-2003, 06:41 AM
I saw TPM 7 times in the movie theatre, about 10 times on VHS and about 20 times on DVD.

I have only seen AOTC once in the cinema and twice (in full) on DVD. I’ve watched Yoda-Dooku 5 or 6 other times, but that’s all. I would have seen it more often but the dialogue was just so awful, the CG hit and miss (and certainly didn’t sell it’s “reality” to me), and in spite of HC’s great performance, I didn’t really care about his character.

By comparison with “good” films: FOTR-8 times in cinema, 10 times the theatrical DVD, 15 times on Extended DVD, TTT- 6 in the theatre, 15 times on Academy screener DVD. So I too constantly re-watch films I really like. I even really enjoyed TPM.

I can only hope episode 3 will just be a lot better than AOTC.

Dewlanna
04-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Wow - I have been dually humbled. images/icons/grin.gif

I was hoping for time # 15 to be in the IMAX, but it wasn't any closer than Dallas. images/icons/frown.gif So time # 15 was at home...

I wasn't familiare with the LOTR stuff. Then TTT came out and my brother wanted to go so we rented FOTR to watch first and WOW. I was hooked on that too. I've lost count, but I've seen each of those 7 or 8 times. I drove an hour this weekend to see TTT ONE MORE TIME before it leaves theaters... I can't wait until December 19th!

Or May 2005... images/icons/wink.gif

radfury
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
6 times in the theater and a good 46 times on DVD! I got the DVD for christmas and watched it every night before going to bed for a good month and a half! images/icons/blush.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/grin.gif

r2d2_26
04-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I've only seen FOTR two or three times and TTT twice (the movies are so long, and they do have so many slow parts as well).

I trully enjoyed AOTC each time I saw it in the theater (and at home). I just haven't had much time lately, but I know I will watch it many more times during the summer. images/icons/smile.gif

Darth_Mack
04-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Saw AOTC only 4 times in the theater, half as many times as I saw TPM. 4 times was enough. I've seen each of them a few times on DVD, but not nearly as many times as I've seen the OT on VHS.

Scott_Matthews
04-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi all. Well, after counting my ticket stubs, it appears I'm the current leader (or loser depending on how you look at it images/icons/smile.gif ).

I saw AOTC eighteen times in the theater, including one IMAX viewing. I've watched portions of the DVD multiple times, but I don't think I've sat through the whole movie at home.

Scott

04-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Hmmm, I'm noticing that as time goes on more things get in the way of seeing movies, even if we like them better than their predecessors. Case in point, I saw TPM 4 times in the theater and probably since it came out on video 20 times. As for AOTC I only saw it 3 times in its entirety, although working at a movie theater I think I watched the Clone Wars stuff about 30 times during down time. Since buying it, I've only watched it twice but that's also because I haven't had it for very long and there are a lot of other movies I want to watch when I find the time.

Dewlanna
04-30-2003, 08:08 AM
(I just realized I misspelled "familiar" above - oops!)

I feel a lot better now that I know I'm not the only one who does the multiple viewing thing. Like I said, every time you notice something new!

I had a night to myself last week and, out of all the things I could do, I got a good dinner and sat down and watched AOTC again. I'll get to 20 before it's over with!

The world would be a kinder and gentler place if everyone were Star Wars fans... images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks to everyone for replying. images/icons/wink.gif

Mr_MojoRisin
05-07-2003, 09:00 PM
22 times in the theater, 47 times on DVD (so far).

Kris
05-08-2003, 03:15 AM
2 cinema, and around 60 times at home images/icons/wink.gif

first DVD release week I saw it with all other movies in a row, every day : images/icons/grin.gif

[ 05-08-2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Kris Van de Sande™ ]

Dewlanna
05-08-2003, 10:32 AM
I am SO humbled. images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif

Neal
05-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin:
22 times in the theater, 47 times on DVD (so far). <font size="2" face="arial">OH, GOOD LORD!!! images/icons/grin.gif

Wow, man...and I thought I had it bad..... images/icons/grin.gif

toyguy
05-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, only 6 times in the theaters, and maybe the same number of times on DVD from start to finish. But my kid loves the arena scenes so I think I've watched from the "Love Pledge" chapter to the end like 30 times.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
05-09-2003, 11:06 AM
9 times in the theatre it's 1st week in relase(the 1st 5 between the 12:01 show and the next night of opening day...) Then I dled it off Kazaa and made VCDs out of it last summer... so I had a real nice VCD version and watched that at least 5 times... not counting the times I viewed it on the comp... which is at least 4 times... Then, DVD release, 2 times day one, about 5 times since... so lets see:

9+5+4+7=25

images/icons/smile.gif

I don't really care what anyone else thinks of AOTC. I loved it. It fits right in there with the rest of the Saga and Ep3 shouldn't be any different. And I'm not a new fan... I'm someone who saw it ANH Opening weekend 1977(I was 5 and yes, I know, it WASN'T known as ANH in 1977, that didn't come until 1981)

[ 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Ray N Quiet Rob ]

r2d2_26
05-10-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't really care what anyone else thinks of AOTC. I loved it. It fits right in there with the rest of the Saga and Ep3 shouldn't be any different. And I'm not a new fan... I'm someone who saw it ANH Opening weekend 1977(I was 5 and yes, I know, it WASN'T known as ANH in 1977, that didn't come until 1981)
<font size="2" face="arial">I'm really glad to see an actual "old" SW fan who can truly appreciate the prequels. Good for you. I didn't watch ANH at the theater (I was only 1 year old) but I did see TESB and ROTJ and I loved them. And I saw TPM and AOTC opening nights and I loved them too. That's why I saw them so many times. This summer I will probably watch them at least 5 or 6 times each.

Dewlanna
05-12-2003, 08:32 AM
That's just what I've been saying too, R2.

I rewatched ANH this weekend and LOVED it. images/icons/smile.gif

I LOVE the prequels. images/icons/smile.gif

I think the whole Prequel vs. OT thing is unnecessary. They may be different but they are all part of the same thing. Once Ep III comes out, and after I see it at least 10 times in the theater images/icons/wink.gif , I'll sit down one day and watch them all, from ANH to Ep III. I can't wait for that day but I dread it too!

toyguy
05-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Wow, these numbers are impressive. Now I don't know what the demographics of this forum is like, but I think we watch the Star Wars movies so many times because its worthwhile. Just my opinion, but I couldn't imagine the audiences (or even fans) of Titanic/Potter/LOTR watching these movies more than 10 times.

I bought my wife the Titanic video and she hasn't re-watched it once to the end yet. My 4 year old doesn't seem too impressed by Harry Potter either, but loves AOTC. OK, ok the latter eg. was probably influenced by me. images/icons/smile.gif

Obi_Robz
05-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by toyguy:
Just my opinion, but I couldn't imagine the audiences (or even fans) of Titanic/Potter/LOTR watching these movies more than 10 times. <font size="2" face="arial">I think we Star Wars fans are just pretty special images/icons/smile.gif . I have seen LOTR several times, but it was Star Wars that first developed by ability/need to constantly re-watch a loved film over and over.

I saw AOTC again over the weekend, and I enjoyed it much more this time. It may even get watched as much as TPM, ANH, TESB, and ROTJ in future images/icons/smile.gif .

[ 05-12-2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: obi_robz ]

toyguy
05-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Yes Obi_robz, I think we are a special bunch. Its my belief that you either get SW or you don't. What I mean is, there aren't a whole lot of SW 'converts' out who took some time before "coming around" to liking SW after their first encounter the movies. I think most of the fans fell in love with the films on first viewing, which ever one it happens to be. That's certainly what happened to me in the late '70s.

By the same token, those who are fans are probably hooked for life. Even though there are some folks who swear by the OT and found PT to be problematic. Still, I think they're strong fans for the most part, and knows PT more well than any other movie franchise out there.

brett3xmvpfavre4
05-12-2003, 05:28 PM
In the movies i saw it 5 times the first day, and 2 times after that. So Thats 7. I have seen it at home bootleg 2 times before it came out, and 4 times on my real DVD, so thats 6 at home. bringing my EP2 total to 13 veiws, but i am gonna go watch it now, and watch it every day until I have every word memorized!!!

SnowtrooperHoth
05-12-2003, 11:35 PM
*cough* dorks! *cough* haha just kidding. I saw TPM only 3 times in the theater and i didnt even count how many on DVD. AOTC i saw 4 times in the theater, then 2 times on IMAX. Special Editions, i saw each movie twice...i think.

Dewlanna
05-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Yes, all, we SW fans are a special lot.

I must digress just a bit, toyguy. I am an SW fan but I am also an LOTR fan who has seen each of the movies at least 7 times. I'm quite sure I'll get way past 10 before it's all said and done.

I think it's a gene that predisposes us. images/icons/smile.gif

I'm one of those "old" SW fans everyone keeps talking about. I've seen the OT more times than I even know, all through childhood and several times each recently.

I've seen TPM four times and plan on more.

My current count of AOTC is about 20.

My only wish is that the "OT Fans" and the "PT Fans" could come together and be "Saga Fans". images/icons/smile.gif

r2d2_26
05-13-2003, 02:07 PM
My only wish is that the "OT Fans" and the "PT Fans" could come together and be "Saga Fan <font size="2" face="arial">I agree with you, and I believe that will happen in time.

toyguy
05-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey Dewlanna, I'm glad you are a faithful fan of LOTR. Again, I didn't know anyone who spent time on repeated viewings, but when TTT comes out, I'll probably pickup the video and watch it a few times. I probably won't reach 10X any time soon. Still, The Two Towers was quite an improvement on the first installment, which for me was slow at the beginning of the movie.

But I digress, yes one can definitely be a SW and LOTR fan at the same time. For sure, I'm a much bigger SW fan though. BTW, I'm also one of the "older" fans who saw SW first on the big screen. During the OT era, I was just a kid of 11yrs to my early teens. So I didn't have the resources to see those movies multiple times. The extent of my repeated viewing was staying in my seat for the next show, the ushers did seem to mind. So for OT, I really just saw each movie "twice" during initial release.

JoshEEE
05-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Jeez, I thought you guys were Star Wars fans!

I saw it 36 times in Digital at Cinerama (Every day for a month, and then some), and 5 times at the Imax theater in Seattle. I also saw it about 7 or 8 times in regular non-digital theaters.

Psyche. Just kidding. I really saw it 7 times TOTAL in all those theaters combined. And until today, I thought I was insane for seeing a movie I didn't even like that much that many times. The 2nd and 3rd time I saw it, I was just trying to convince myself not to HATE it anymore.

However, now....I know I'm not nuts. You guys are far crazier than I am. images/icons/grin.gif

ChiefChirpa
05-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Funny how the internet has changed things. I saw it twice in the theater and then dowloaded the bootleg copy images/icons/tongue.gif off of kazaa. I think I watched that bootleg once every day until the dvd came out. I also saw it at the imax.

JoshEEE
05-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Funny how the internet has changed things. I saw it twice in the theater and then dowloaded the bootleg copy off of kazaa. I think I watched that bootleg once every day until the dvd came out. I also saw it at the imax. <font size="2" face="arial">I got a hold of the bootleg copy a few days before the movie was released. I opened it, saw that it was legit, but never brought myself to watch the darn thing. I also had the bootleg of EP1 when it came out, and I found myself watching that lightsaber duel OVER and OVER again. I really think I spent more time watching it on the crappy computer screen than I did on the movie screen.

So....I deleted the AOTC bootleg, and I don't plan to try and get a hold of hte EP3 bootleg. I know Lucasfilm has enough cash, but I don't mind giving them a few more bucks each time I have the urge to see it. Besides....I'm sick of Titanic holding that number one box office record. images/icons/grin.gif

Carnor_Jax
05-15-2003, 11:38 PM
5 times in the theater at least 4-5 times on VHS/DVD

images/icons/grin.gif

Dewlanna
05-16-2003, 09:38 AM
I appreciate everyone replying to this thread. images/icons/grin.gif

I respect everyone's opinion about AOTC. Here's how I feel about it:

As a child I saw all the OT. Many times. I saw them again when they were re-released and saw TPM when it was released. I always had a fondness for SW.

THEN AOTC came out. For the first time ever, I felt compelled to re-watch and re-watch. It is what really pulled me back into the SW universe. It is why I started collecting and it is why I was so open to getting into LOTR. It is why I went directly to Target and bought the Trilogy set and TPM. So then I went back and rewatched TPM and liked it MUCH more than when I first saw it, because everything was so much clearer then.

I can't really explain why, I just LOVE the movie.

05-24-2003, 08:02 AM
13 standard projection. Twice in san fran digital. Once Imax. 16 total. At least 5 on dvd. Not counting when it is shown on hbo!

Balki
05-25-2003, 09:59 PM
I saw it five times in the theater, and about 10 times on DVD and VHS. I've never seen any movie more than six times in the theater. I saw TPM and LOTR:FOTR six times each and multiple times on DVD and VHS. Oh yeah, I have all three movies mentioned on DVD and VHS.

CPrompt
06-07-2003, 05:31 PM
well, I only saw it twice in the theater. At home, probably 5-10. I'm on the computer way too much images/icons/wink.gif

The_Professor
06-08-2003, 06:30 PM
I saw each prequel 5 times in the theater. I have seen them countless more times at home on video.

SamIAm
06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Be quite honest, I don't keep track of how many times.. If I did it might depress me..

DarthWormie
06-12-2003, 10:57 AM
TPM I saw 3 times in the theater and AOTC I only saw once. I haven't been keeping track of the DVD viewings, but it hasn't been alot. I've been way too busy of late to watch any movies let alone the prequels.

ObiWans_No1_Fan
06-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Five times in the theatre, including one IMAX (which sucked in my opinion) and about 15 times on DVD. But give it time. The number will climb. images/icons/grin.gif

Findswoman
06-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Oh my gosh, you people are hardcore! images/icons/grin.gif

I've only seen it once, but I want to see it at least once again, just to pick up on all the little details I missed the first time. And who knows, I might even like it a little better the second time! images/icons/grin.gif

... the Findswoman

07-17-2003, 02:46 AM
I saw it about 9 time at the theater and about 21 times on DVD but I see EPI 3 way more times I know I will. images/icons/grin.gif

UZAY
07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
I went to the advance screening, opening day + 6 times at the theater... I watched few times on the DVD (but I watched specific scenes such as Arena for countless times images/icons/grin.gif )