PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone who actually likes the prequils here? :(

Yak
04-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Its late, Im bored, so here we go images/icons/smile.gif

Reading tho the posts here it's like, well EI was OK but Jar Jar sucked. EI sucked but EII was ok. EII was ok but young boba sucked. Or more than likely prequils suck but OT was amazing. Is there no one but me who likes it all and is counting the days to EIII?

For me, Empire was better than Star Wars when it came out and Jedi was better than the other two when it came out. They over took the previous movie cause they were the new chapter adding to the overall story. You can sit and pretend that Episode IV or V is all that exists and well I guess that's fine if u want to do that. :/

I know I'm 29 now and not 5 but when I see the imortal words 'long long ago' the kid in me wakes up and is taken to new systems to meet new characters. Am I the only person on earth who liked E1 the better than the OT when that came out then EII the best when that came out? Who likes the Ewoks as much as Jango or Jar Jar as much as Chewbacca? Or the Queens ship as much as the AtAt? etc

At the Art of Star wars in Edinburgh last year Anthony Daneils mentioned Jar Jar, there was a hushed silence from the audience. He then talked about how everyone slagged off his character back in '77, in exactly the way they slag off Jar Jar now.

My best freind and fellow Star Wars collector works with kids, ask them what their favourite Star Wars character is, 99% say Jar Jar.

You know I haven't heard a bad word about the Ewoks since '99, strange that!

images/icons/smile.gif

Neal
04-20-2003, 12:09 AM
I absolutely love ALL FIVE of the Star Wars films...and I can't wait for Episode III. I think it's going to be a fitting end to the greatest film Saga of all-time.
I'll admit that TPM is my least-favorite of the five films, but it still has some awesome qualities to it. And AOTC is second only to TESB in my eyes.
Yes, I'd say I like the OT a little bit better than the PT, but that doesn't mean that I don't LOVE the PT. People have to look at the new films as they did when they were children when watching the OT.
It's hard to do, but if you let your mind wander free, and watch the films with the awe of a child, you'll like them much more.
And you'll like them for the same reasons you liked the OT...when your enjoyment wasn't hampered by adulthood.

Jedi_Knight
04-20-2003, 12:38 AM
I too love all the films. I like PM the more I watch it. Espicially since Clones came out. I am dying for E3. I am waiting for scripts to leak so I can read what will happen and imagine it until it's release. I really can't say which movie is my favorite but I feel since Clones Pm fits right in with the other 3 movies.

Obi_Robz
04-20-2003, 11:38 AM
The PT is OK. I actually really liked TPM, and still do. I think it's hard for adult fans not to see the PT as a bit inferior because nothing will ever live up the memories of watching the OT as a kid.

But I quite like the PT. It's been fun so far, thereís nothing wrong with a bit of mindless escapism. I think that once TPM lowered my unrealistically high expectations, then I actually got 'round to liking the new series quite a lot. To me they're just not classics like the OT.

I'm 27 now, and Star Wars isn't made for the likes of me anymore. But that's Ok; I can understand, and live with, that. I've got LOTR if I want to watch an emotionally intense and involving saga with good acting, sympathetic and realistic characters, and appropriately applied CGI.

And there are plenty of films out there that are much worse than the Star Wars PT.

images/icons/smile.gif

04-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm a big ORIGINAL TRILOGY fan and was all hyped when the prequels were in THE TALKING stage. But, now that I see them made, I find they're not as good as I had wished OR EXPECTED. I think PM was just plain BORING. AOTC was actually TOO action packed.
The best way to describe TOO ACTION PACKED.. It's like watching SOME Godzilla movies where he's just FIGHTING and WRECKING through the whole movie.. No down time. Too much of even a good thing, evenually becomes boring. Like Jango and Obi's spaceship chase..... That lasted like FOREVER :>)
Same with A. Skywalker and Obi in the city chase. Too much, too long....

I can't end this reply without the classic "IMO" :>)

r2d2_26
04-20-2003, 10:38 PM
I like the prequel movies very much, and in fact AOTC is my favorite movie so far. Some problems I have with The Phantom Menace are: midichlorians, some parts are boring (when Obi and Qui-Gon go underwater, the pod race), Jar Jar is a little anoying, although I don't hate him.

But I also have a few problems with the other Star Wars movies too, so none of them are perfect, and therefore I shouldn't concentrate on the bad stuff, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy them.

MarkG
04-21-2003, 12:02 AM
With the majority of my childhood being with the Original Trilogy, I found that Ep1 TPM was a major let down to the side. Ok, the effects were great, but the storyline was not so involved.

Why didn't Jar Jar get shot ?? That would have made the film better.

Then came along Ep2 AOTC, much better than TPM, top effects, but very lame acting on Hayden Christensen's part. A cardboard cutout would have acted better.

IMHO nothing compares to the OT, unless Ep3 pulls out something spectacular.

Newob
04-22-2003, 06:12 AM
i like the PT, althought i will always like to OT better. my biggest problem with the PT so far has been in the directing and special fx. part of the magic in the OT was that everything looked real because it was. the made a little tie fighter, slid down a string and blew it up, i really dont like all the CGI. i think that i would have liked Jar Jar more if he had looked real, as apose to like an animated cartoon. same goes for jabba, they just dont look real to me, so it is hard to feel like im in that world. also for jango fett, when ever he does something great, its all CGI, what happen to stuntmen? and the directing, i mean come on, lets get it right. i dont like the dry noen acting scenes. someone say cut and tell the actors to give us more emotion. in ep2 when padme asks,"R2? what are you doing here?" it sounds so dry and unreal and soapopera like. as does just about the whole thing in my opinion. i do like the new movies, but they just dont have the same appeal for me as the OT. when i watch them, i try to watch it in my mind as to how i would have done it differently. but thats just me.

Dewlanna
04-22-2003, 09:43 AM
I agree with the folks that are saying people are thinking too much.

ANH came out the year I was born. I grew up surrounded by SW toys and with a great fondness for everything Lucas.

When TPM came out, I too was disappointed. Why? Because I LOVED the OT and NOTHING would've been able to measure up.

But then AOTC came out and I LOVED it. It made all the pieces come together. I watched TPM again and it all made sense.

Everyone's complaining about seeing Boba in AOTC. But I know I wasn't the only one in the theater that went "Ooooh!" when the name "Jango Fett" was said and everybody made the connection. Now that was cool. I wasn't the only one in the theater cheering when Yoda opened up a can of whup-a** on Dooku. Come on, guys - everyone has wanted to see Yoda kick booty for over 20 years. No way could they have done that with a puppet.

I, for one, want to commend George Lucas for having the vision and the imagination to provide us with so many hours of enjoyment for so many years. Of course a few minor details may fall through the cracks. But think about all the AMAZING details he is so great with.

I love the OT. I love the PT. It's all Lucas, it's all the characters we love. I don't believe that liking one is being disloyal to the other.

Jedi_Knight
04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
The only thing I would have done is make Anakin more likable. My wife said it best. SHe said you want to like him so that when he truns it is more tragic but right now she doesn't care about him. I have to agree a little. But again he is young maybe in the next film we will really like him in the beginning to make the turn even more tragic.

Sergiu
04-23-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
The only thing I would have done is make Anakin more likable. My wife said it best. SHe said you want to like him so that when he truns it is more tragic but right now she doesn't care about him. I have to agree a little. But again he is young maybe in the next film we will really like him in the beginning to make the turn even more tragic. <font size="2" face="arial">Jedi Knight you read my lips. I won't repeat what you already said.

But I'll say this relating to the ones who love or not a character: kids often love humoristic characters as C3PO, ewoks and JarJar.

I watched lots of Holywood movies and many of them have characters who (at least want to) make you smile. Personally I hate those, but there are people who enjoy this type of characters very much. There are movies where is allowed to put inside a character like this and there are movies where you cannot.

Swiss_Army_R5
04-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I like the new ones alot and the old ones a bunch. TPM was a good film Jar Jar just needed toned down a bit.

My wife though who never saw a star wars flick liked TPM the best.

I like seeing many jedi in lots of action and so like AOTC a very lot. It's hard I like all the films for different things.

04-28-2003, 08:34 AM
The only complaints that I have with the prequels are jar jar. I was glad to see that he had very little time in episode two.
Episode three will be great. The darkness will be a welcome addition.

Scott_Matthews
04-29-2003, 08:21 PM
I really enjoyed both of the new movies, though they certainly had their faults.

I felt that EPII was a tremendous improvement over Phantom Menance. Hopefully, the third installment will continue that trend. images/icons/smile.gif

Scott

Dewlanna
05-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Interesting point, Yak. Especially the remark about what "most women" think of Star Wars. For the bigger part, that's probably right. I, however, am a woman and a HUGE Star Wars fan. There are some of us out there.

I stand on my firm basis that Star Wars is how it is and is perfect the way it is. Ewoks, Jar Jar and all. Just think - if not for the humorous stuff, would we have been so nuts about it as kids, and had the passion carry over into our adult selves? It shapes who we are. Little kids who love Jar Jar now could turn into...well, US...when they grow up.

I do, however, think that SERIOUS has its place. I LOVED the LOTR movies and have watched them many, many times. They were very well-acted and there were a lot of humorous and emotional parts along with the more serious stuff. You just have to be INTO it.

Like I'm into Star Wars images/icons/wink.gif

Yak
05-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_uk73:
but very lame acting on Hayden Christensen's part. A cardboard cutout would have acted better.<font size="2" face="arial">OK, just to pick a criticism at random more or less. I'm not picking on Jedi_uk73 in particular images/icons/wink.gif On the OT CDroms that have all the cut scenes an stuff (can't remember what their called) I remember watching a cut scene of Luke talking to Biggs. I thought oh my god no wonder they cut that!!! The acting is so so bad! But a day or two later I realized, that the acting in that scene was just like it was through the whole movie. Perfect! Perfect for the cheesy kids flicks they are meant to be. An I dont mean that in a bad way, how can any film with Wookies Ewoks and Jedi Knights travelling through space be anything else. Thats the way most women I've met see these films. They think, yea, its fine, for what it is - a cheesy kids flick.

It comes down to what a few others have said, most of us are 20's 30's, not 8 or 9. If Lucas had made Episodes 1-3 serious like LOTR (GOD FORBID!! - I fell asleep through the first so skipped the second all together) I for one would have been very disappointed.

OK, so who's up for signing my 'more Jar Jar in Episode 3' petition? One at a time please!!

Hung_Solow
05-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Don't be a fool, AOTC ROCKED!!! It's my 3rd favorite after ESB and ROTJ.

[ 05-02-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Hung Solow ]

deluca
05-02-2003, 02:17 PM
I liked all the movies, but I am somewhat disappointed in some aspects of the prequals.

1. I think r2-D2 and C-3PO should have started out together
2. Anakin was to young in the first movie
3. I think AOTC should have been more or less the first movie.
4. The second movie should have shown the fall of Anakin into the dark side
5. The third movie should be darth vader kicking *** from the begining and everyone else hididng and running.

Just my thoughts.

Darth_Mack
05-03-2003, 09:28 PM
I learned to like the prequels because I watched them several times. The only reason, though, that I watched them repeatedly is because they're chapters in the Star Wars saga. If they weren't, I wouldn't have given them a second look. The adult in me knows they're bad films: the pacing is slow; the dialog is awful; there's too much CGI, too many cutesy aliens, and too much mindless slapstick; and many of the main actors' perfomances are wooden. The kid in me, however, looks past their faults because they're connected to the Holy Trilogy. I'm still hoping for a miracle with Episode III--that it will be a good film on its own and not because it's got Star Wars in its title.

DarthDave
05-04-2003, 01:49 PM
I've enjoyed the prequels immensely, all the more as I have sons now who are into SW (so, among other things, we try to make up a SW play adventure every weekend). But the prequels have such a different "feel" to them. I can't put my finger on it, and I'm not usually at a loss for words. (This sense of not really "connecting" with the prequels comes out in the fact that I can spin out a 60-minute story with my sons using classic trilogy characters and sets, but can't come up with squat for "expanded universe" adventures in the prequel world).

Help me out here, you 20/30 somethings! Is it that there aren't the same kind of close relationships in E1 and E2 like we saw in the classic trilogy (the growing friendship and character development of Han and Luke, Han and Chewy, Han and Leia, etc)? Is it that the "enemy" is not nearly so well established, so that there is the lack of a supportive contrast between the cold, steely imperial universe and the warmth and vitality of the "good guys"? Who's got their finger on the pulse here?

But, sure, as movies they're great entertainment (and John Williams still knows how to knock out a first-class score!).

DarthDave
05-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Oh, by the way, Yak, it's "prequel," not "prequil." Prequil is something you take before Nyquil, to help it go down better. images/icons/smile.gif

"Rebelscum.com ... you will never find a more orthographically challenged hive of scum and villainy."

Darth_Mack
05-04-2003, 08:51 PM
DarthDave,

I'm one of the 20-30 somethings. For me, what makes the prequels different is their overall lack of fun. They're simply too serious. The OT was about a civil war, yet George (and those other 2 directors) kept them fun and kept the audience laughing. Where are the snide remarks like the ones Han & Leia used to spit back and forth at each other? Why don't 3PO and R2 bicker all the time like they did in the OT?

If Padme and Anakin had had a rocky start like Han and Leia, we might have been treated to clever, amusing insults instead of the cliched, dry dialog we had to endure. If 3PO and R2 had spent more time together in the Prequels, their zingers could have served as comic relief instead of 3PO's embarassing slapstick scenes aimed at 4-year-olds (the droid factory & arena battle).

And finally, what's with all the boring formal dialog in the Prequels, like "If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion...." Why are they forbidden to use contractions? Everything is "cannot," "do not," etc. Where are the funny lines, like...

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself"
"That doesn't sound too hard."

"Afraid I was going to leave without giving you a good-bye kiss?"
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookie."
"I can arrange that... You could use a good kiss!"

"Hurry up, moonrod, you're gonna be a permanent resident!"

"I love you."
"I know."

"I don't know where you get your delusions, laserbrains."
"Laugh it up, fuzzball."

"I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?"

I could go on and on. Sure, there were a few funny lines in the Prequels, but they were few and far between. In fact, had there been more then maybe some of the dry business that had to take place storywise wouldn't have been so tough to sit through.

Kris
05-05-2003, 06:05 PM
I like the prequels images/icons/smile.gif

but we will see how all wil fit together and say how genius Uncle George really is images/icons/grin.gif

Yak
05-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by DarthDave:
Oh, by the way, Yak, it's "prequel," not "prequil." Prequil is something you take before Nyquil, to help it go down better. images/icons/smile.gif
<font size="2" face="arial">Beleive me, I can find you 20 better spelling mistakes in almost every post I make. It's normally 2am and after a couple of beers by the time I get to this Prequil forum. images/icons/smile.gif

Yak
05-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Darth Mack:
I learned to like the prequels because I watched them several times.<font size="2" face="arial">I'll bet u loved it that 1st time u cam out of the cinema after watching it. Before the adult intellectual in you took over. The exit polls of that film were thro the roof, higher than for EII.

DarthDave,
I'm one of the 20-30 somethings. For me, what makes the prequels different is their overall lack of fun. They're simply too serious. The OT was about a civil war, yet George (and those other 2 directors) kept them fun and kept the audience laughing.<font size="2" face="arial">I'm 29 so I guess that puts me in your relevant(!?) age category. Serious? Wasn't Jar Jar in the version you saw? You don't laugh now cause your 20-30, believe me kids laughed at Jar Jar. I had to keep giving them dirty looks to shut them up images/icons/smile.gif If you were 9 again, you would be laughing again.

Darth Dave, surely its just a tad unrealistic to 'connect' or get the same 'feel' from something thats been with you for 25+ years as something thats brand new? I know people had unrealistic expectations about those films but you can hardly expect to feel nostalgic about them, which is pretty much all you were describing in your post.

Darth_Mack
05-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Yak:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darth Mack:
[qb] I learned to like the prequels because I watched them several times.<font size="2" face="arial">I'll bet u loved it that 1st time u cam out of the cinema after watching it. Before the adult intellectual in you took over. The exit polls of that film were thro the roof, higher than for EII.

Actually, I was tremendously let down the first time I saw it. So were my friends. I said to them when it was over that I was sorry I had pre-bought a ticket for Day 2.

DarthDave,
I'm one of the 20-30 somethings. For me, what makes the prequels different is their overall lack of fun. They're simply too serious. The OT was about a civil war, yet George (and those other 2 directors) kept them fun and kept the audience laughing.<font size="2" face="arial">I'm 29 so I guess that puts me in your relevant(!?) age category. Serious? Wasn't Jar Jar in the version you saw? You don't laugh now cause your 20-30, believe me kids laughed at Jar Jar. I had to keep giving them dirty looks to shut them up images/icons/smile.gif If you were 9 again, you would be laughing again.

I can see Jar Jar's antics in Ep. I and 3PO's mishaps in Ep. II appealing to kids, but not many adults. There wasn't as much low-grade humor (slapstick) in the OT. Sure, there was some, but most of the humor was funny dialog that adults could appreciate.

When 3PO was left alone with R2 on Geonosis and said lines like:

"My obtuse little friend, if they had wanted our help they would have asked for it" and "'What does that mean?' It means I'm in charge!"

I thought FINALLY! Finally we get the old 3PO and R2 back. The same bickering. The same feistiness from the OT. I was happy. Moments later, though, we were subjected to 3PO's fake looking fall from the ledge in the factory, followed by one silly mishap after another. It only got worse in the arena. I just wish Lucas and the screenwriter he worked with on Ep. II had used witty dialog as comic relief rather than childish pranks.

05-07-2003, 02:28 PM
i take the prequels for what they are. as far as i'm concerned, they have nothing to do with the original trilogy, regardless how GL tries to tie it all together.

Mr_MojoRisin
05-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Jar Jar sucked, but I loved them. Especally EPII.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
05-09-2003, 11:10 AM
I love the Prequels and I'm aold fan. I saw Ep4 opening weekend, 1977... BEFORE it was even called Episode 4: A New Hope. The prequels, in the grand sceme of things will fit perfectly with the OT. The fans who don't see it now, will eventually see it once all 6 films are in a nice neat box with even the bits and pieces Lucas is updating and adjusting.

NreRyed
05-13-2003, 06:31 AM
i for one do not believe that age has anything to do with enjoying a good movie..or a good book.. for example this is something i still don't get.. is that they have to have an adult cover for harry potter books.. i mean for heaven's sake.. if you are reading harry potter nothing changes that fact...it's just plain pretentious... just because a person has grown in age doesn't mean we have to FEEL old..

Dewlanna
05-16-2003, 09:46 AM
I think all that changes with age is prospective. Maybe something that was funny when we were 8 no longer seems funny when we're 18...

American Chewie, I understand your loyalty to the OT. But really, you would enjoy it so much more if you would just accept it as all one big, beautiful story. When Ep III comes out, everything will come together. Just try to have an open mind. Trust me. Life is so much more fun when you accept things for what they are. images/icons/grin.gif

lifesizeactionfigure
05-17-2003, 03:26 AM
The prequels are awesome! Ewen McGregor kicks butt, I've loved him ever since the first time I saw train spotting. Hayden Christiansen is kind of a whiner. But Natalie Portman--"So hot, want to touch the heynie!" (that was from Billy Madison for all of you that are now thinking I'm some kind of a perv). The action sequences are great.

I think every one gets so down on the prequels because they're not the OT. Guess what? they never will be, so enjoy them for what they are.

JarJarBlinks182
05-18-2003, 01:04 AM
I see two ways fans approach the new movies:

1) The OT is incredible and this movie had better live up to my expectation.

2) I love Star Wars and I'm happy Lucas is finishing the story. I wonder how it will go.

If you have the first view, you may have visions in your mind of how things should look and sound. You want the story to play out one way because you've probably spent years piecing it together. In this case, Lucas now has to make the films for YOUR expectations (not his) to make you happy. I liken this view to a person who reads a book THEN watches the movie adaptation. Most people who read a book first are greatly disapointed in its movie counterpart, because they have ideas in their head about how it should look and move.

If you take the second view, you leave room for interpretation. Because you have very few preconceptions going into the movie, you are more likely to accept was is given to you during the movie. You expect to be entertained and watch the triology unfold as Lucas intended. No one knew what to expect in the OT, and I donít believe we should know this time around either.

If you donít enjoy the prequels, I feel really sad for you. I LOVE them and think Lucas has done an incredible job so far. I can only imagine whatís in store for us next time! I mean look at the acting of Mark Hamill in the OT and tell me than Hayden is dreadfuly worse- I donít think so. Remember, ďBut I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!Ē what a horrible delivery. Or the, ďNOOOOO,Ē he yells in ESB after talking to Vader- thatís some of the worst acting Iíve ever seen on film.

All the movies have pros and cons, and yes, the prequels look different than what weíre used to seeing, but so were all the other movies when the released. I think E2 saved the disappointment of E1 for many people. Now I even like TPM more because Iím used to seeing it, and I have found more value in things I initialy dismissed.

The movies are not our stories, they are Grampa Georgeís, so who are we to say his vision sucks? The same rule applies to the Special Editions- George wanted to make changes ever since he released the original films and now he has the technology to make them. And Iím glad he did because I want to see HIS difinitive version of them, not mine. If George is happy, Iím happy.

Dewlanna
05-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Well put. Of course I can't slam Mark Hamill out of sheer loyalty, but I will agree that Hayden was no worse.

I'm one of those people that AOTC saved TPM for me. Once it all made sense, I was more than happily accepting TPM.

Let's watch the man work, people images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif

Yak
05-26-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm happily surprised that I'm not completely alone after all! images/icons/smile.gif That there are some who feel the same as I do. It all ROX images/icons/grin.gif

Cheers to all for your input (even if we don't all agree all the time) images/icons/wink.gif

The_Professor
05-27-2003, 12:39 AM
I like them a lot. They were/are the first Star Wars movies I am experiencing freshly. I first saw the films when I was three back in 1988. I hardly remember. The story, the plot, the characters, and the setting have always been a part of my life. Seeing the prequels in the theater was an original experience. There were surprises, twists, and turns for me. Because I have "always" known what happens in the original trilogy, Darth Vader being Luke's father was never a surprise. The Prequels are a chance for me to experience Star Wars for "the first time" in a way. (On another note, the only thing that bothers me about them is the abundant usage of CG effects.)

[ 05-27-2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: The Professor ]

radfury
05-29-2003, 04:32 PM
im with you! i love the prequals! when people say they dont tie toghether i have no idea what they are talking about. i have yet to have someone say something that really didnt tie into the original trilogy. they all rock to me, and as for the cg, i feel that they should add more to the ot. only for scenes that need it. i like what they did with tatooine in the se by adding more of a city backdrop to some scenes. the one thing that i am really wanting to see "cg'ed" is the death star battle from ep 4. only because in some scenes its so obvious that its cardboard. dont get me wrong, i love the movie(s); but thats one thing i always wanted to see fixed and was surprised wasnt done for the se. id love to see that battle look the way it should in all its glory! o well, heres hoping. images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/rolleyes.gif

The_Professor
05-29-2003, 07:06 PM
And I agree about the Special Editions. They didn't bother me at all. 1997 was a really exciting year for Star Wars fans.

[ 05-30-2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: The Professor ]

ezehogan
05-30-2003, 02:33 PM
The new films are crap which ruin continuity and the legacy of the originals.

IE, Boba Fett played a small role in the OT but became popular.

What does Lucas do? Pretty much base a whole movie off of his dad, Jango Fett. It doesn't sit right to have virtually a whole movie based on the Fett's, when Boba plays, at best, a cameo in the rest of the films.

I also liked it better when Star Wars sets were actually sets, and not just green screens and CGI. The real sets look.... MORE REAL!

I almost wish Lucas never made the prequels, and instead made Episode's VII through IX immediately after Jedi. There would be no "huge leap" as far as technology is concerned, the movies would feature our favorite characters rather than Jar Jar, and I'm sure the story lines would be better since he couldn't infuse CGI into every tiny aspect.

Daigo_Bah
06-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Wow- I feel almost the same way as Ezehogan. I have so many thoughts on this, but I'm gonna try to condense them. The prequels are okay- but not as prequels, rather as a separate story. The OT was so beautifully told that one did not need to come back and see how it got there, and I believe that this has a lot to do with why the prequels disappoint so many people. For me, it is absolutely ridiculous that Anakin built C-3PO. I also don't like that Tatooine was even so prominent in Ep1- huge spectator podraces, the childhood home of Vader, the "introduction" of Tuskens and jawas; whatever happened to the desolate, boring planet from ANH? I won't even say anything about JarJar- that's been done to death. There are too many locations and scenes in the prequels that one cannot absorb and enjoy: think about ANH- 1/3 was on Tatooine, 1/3 was on the Death Star, and the last third was the trench battle. ESB: 1/3 Hoth, 1/3 Dagobah, 1/3 Bespin. ROTJ: 1/3 Jabba's, and the rest was basically different places on and around Endor. There are hardly any lines worth remembering or quoting like the OT. I actually liked TPM better than AOTC, because it was structured much like ROTJ and had predictable Jedi behavior. In AOTC, I found a lot of the Jedi scenes too extreme: Mace angrily chopping off Jango's head, Yoda's battle (I am one of the *I guess* few that didn't like this at all- I felt Yoda wouldn't even carry a lightsaber), Obi-Wan chopping up the Acklay, Anakin slicing and dicing Geonosians, Aayla Secura's "****" attire, and I don't feel some of the races introduced in the OT should have jedi representatives: like Twi'leks, Rodians, weequays, Baradas- I think there should have been only humans and a few like Saesee and Plo here and there. As others have mentioned, there is too much CGI, especially locations. The CG C-3PO scenes were glaringly obvious, and uncharacteristic of the droid. There is no way he could hold on with his fingertips to that flying sled, and so simply have his head replaced with a BD head and two welding spurts (remember when Chewie had to re-wire his head back on?). Anyway, I'm going to watch the prequels, and probably enjoy Ep3, but in my mind it will always be some other story besides the origins of the OT characters.

Daigo_Bah
06-17-2003, 10:49 PM
One last thing to add is that I believe the limitations that George experienced in the OT actually made the films better. I think someone in ILM telling him it is impossible to do something made the films more character-driven as opposed to effects-driven, and certainly more realistic and believable. Now, they can make anything he wants no matter how unbelievable, and I think that has influenced George into being too effects-happy.

JediMAC
06-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Not such a fan of the Prequels myself... Maybe it's 'cause I'm one of the old farts, and I'm not watching it through the eyes of a child like I once did, but I honestly don't think that's the problem. Greg, and a couple others above, already summarized well enough what most of my issues are with the new flicks, most notably Jar Jar,the overload of CGI, the forced romance (no pun intended).

I almost feel like I'm watching a cartoon at times with Ep. 1 and 2. And some of the childish humor like the poop and fart jokes are pretty bad. I can tolerate most of the crappy "wooden" acting (we had plenty in the OT too), but it's the horrendous diologue that often blows in the Prequels, and I certainly don't blame the actors for that. Yippee!!!??? C'mon now... Ani? Yeah, It's a Hard Knock Life, being a future Sith Lord I'm sure. Granted, the Prequels have some great "popcorn" moments, and do well to explain the later events of the OT, but I just don't get that fun, "cocky", free-spirited heroic feeling that the OT had.

Believe me, I tried very hard to like the Prequels. Went and watched them over and over in the theaters, thinking this time I would like them better (especially with TPM), but it just wasn't meant to be. Like I said, they're OK, but they'll never be "Star Wars" to me... I pray to God that George somehow redeems himself with Ep. 3, but considering how much story is left to tell, and the fact that he adamantly refuses to go over the 2'20" mark like most other movies now do, I think we're in for a very "rushed" grand finale, along with a lot of holes and unanswered questions left...

Just my opinion though. I realize not everyone feels the same, and that's perfectly fine... But hey, at least I still collect all the Prequel stuff! images/icons/tongue.gif

[ 06-20-2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: JediMAC ]

ObiWans_No1_Fan
06-23-2003, 07:33 AM
I like the prequels. They're Star Wars, pure and simple. They add another dimension to the OT. I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Dewlanna
06-23-2003, 10:32 AM
I agree. If Star Wars "fans" don't support Star Wars, who will?

Again I say, liking the prequels is not being disloyal to the OT. They're all pieces of one big puzzle.

i_like_yoda
06-24-2003, 09:04 PM
I liked he prequels. But that's just me I guess....

Also Jar-Jar sucks and should hang himslef in Ep. 3. images/icons/grin.gif

07-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Didnt like TPM....BUT i will say that the lightsaber battle was better in TPM than in AOTC..thats for sure.......only think bad about TPM lightsaber battle was ALL the CUT SCENES....but thats because its PG...cant show TOO much violence for too long.......As long as star wars is PG...it will never be a WICKED action film..its THAT simple....

PS..
PG back in the 70s 80s was less restrictive......