PDA

View Full Version : Have the prequels taken over?

Diddly_Squat
03-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Okay, so somehow today, our class gets on the subject of Star Wars, and most of the kids start talking about funny moments they saw in the films (I kept my mouth shut). Everything said was stuff from the Prequel Trilogy (example, one kid said 'Oh, remember when that frog dude went under the tank?' or 'Oh yeah, ad that barrel pushed that guy off of the cliff!') So, do most people today concentrate mainly on the Prequels? Is the OT completely forgotten?

[ 03-24-2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Slave_531 ]

Jedi_Knight
03-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Most of the kids today havn't even seen the OT. I saw a kid pick up a Boba Fett figure and say "who's Boba Fett?" Who's Boba Fett! what is wrong with kids today. images/icons/grin.gif They just ahvn't been exposed to the OT like we were. I am sure our parents thought we were crazy when saying "whos's the Lone Ranger?".

r2d2_26
03-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Who is the Lone Ranger? images/icons/smile.gif

03-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Nothing will outlive the old trilogy

Obi_Robz
03-30-2003, 09:16 AM
When I was 7, I saw ROTJ in the cinema. To my friends and I, Episode 6 was all we talked about – we had no real knowledge of Episodes 4 or 5. Years later, when the videos came out, we found out that in fact, TESB was the best; it became our favorite.

Today’s kids, as has been said, think “Star Wars” = the PT. This is entirely understandable as many haven’t seen the OT, and with most new toys being from the PT, this is likely to continue for a while. However, in years to come, when all 6 films are out on DVD, and assuming that Star Wars hasn’t been forgotten altogether, I think it’s obvious which trilogy future generations will see as more important – the OT.

Sure, the PT looks all flashy and impressive now, but all production values fade with time. When the gloss is gone, is the quality of direction, acting, dialogue, and basic story of the PT as good as the OT? When you strip away all the clever CG technology, are the new films really that great? I know I’m biased (like we all are), but it seems to me that the OT is just a lot better, and in the end will take precedence.

images/icons/smile.gif

[ 03-30-2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: obi_robz ]

04-17-2003, 12:06 AM
I was 12 years old when I seen STAR WARS in the theatre back in '77.......

Notice, I called the '77 movie STAR WARS ?

That's me,
i'll never change :>)
As far as i'm concerned, the original Trilogy is THE STAR WARS TRILOGY,

This new stuff,
Just computer effects.

I've seen the new prequels, but they just dont GRAB me, you know ?

If the younger generation forget the REAL Star Wars movies,
oh well,
I still love them :>)

James_Gallo
04-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Man I gotta agree with you on this. When did this a New Hope stuff start? To me ANH is Star Wars, then Empire, Jedi, PM, and Clones.
I also agree that most people talk and interact with what is most current.
I do see some people exposed to the older movies, but they seem to be the 8-12 and older crowd. I tried showing my cousin Star Wars when he was like 8 and he didn't get it. A few years later when the SE came out, he was crazy for it.
That was a great I told you so moment. He was just to young to get through all the character development at the beggining of Star Wars. Anyway I agree also that this will all even out int he years to come and that the first trilogoy will still be seen as classic movies and the rest additional pieces to the puzzle.

James

Swiss_Army_R5
04-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Let's see I heard people calling it ANH hope around '92 mainly so they could talk about the set group of films and differentiate (sp?) it from film number 4. THese were mainly hard core hosers who could tell you the number of bobby pins in leia's braids though.

Around when the TPM was being announced did all the regular fans begin to call "Star Wars" by it's more proper title.