PDA

View Full Version : How C3PO SHOULD have been gold plated!

Admiral_Ackbar
02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
My wife had a good idea the other day while watching AOTC...

George should have had 3po fall into a tub of gold while on his adventure throughout the droid factory on Geonosis - the story of how 3po got his gold!!

Simple yet logical - and yet practical in regards to how accident prone 3po can be...

I have a feeling that George won't tell/reveal to us how 3po gets gold plated - he'll just be gold in EP.III...

Flatter my wife and post your praises here!

[ 02-12-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: ObiWan1977 ]

02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan1977:
[QB]My wife had a good idea the other day while watching AOTC...

George should have had 3po fall into a tub of gold while on his adventure throughout the droid factory on Geonosis - the story of how 3po got his gold!!

Simple yet logical - and yet practical in regards to how accident prone 3po can be...

QB]<font size="2" face="arial">That would be stupid. Also don't forget that he never gotten his right( Or left?) foot painted gold, so that would be impossible that one of his foot gets painted and the other foot not getting painted. Make sense?

Admiral_Ackbar
02-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by master jango:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by ObiWan1977:
[QB]My wife had a good idea the other day while watching AOTC...

QB]<font size="2" face="arial">That would be stupid. Also don't forget that he never gotten his right( Or left?) foot painted gold, so that would be impossible that one of his foot gets painted and the other foot not getting painted. Make sense?</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Yeah, like the whole 130 minutes of Ep. 1 wasn't stupid!

Master Jango - you got a better idea?

BTW - you don't need to be so anal and knock my wife's idea - she's not a hard-core freak - who has to overanalyze everything in the movie -

[ 02-13-2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: ObiWan1977 ]

bjlevine
02-13-2003, 11:05 AM
I have to agree...getting an accidental gold plating is no more stupid than having his head plopped onto a battle droid body (I guess all droid parts are interchangeable throughout the galaxy). The whole bit with 3PO on Geonosis was "such a drag".

02-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Not "stupid", but I don't remember any gold battle droids or supers. I'd be forced to wonder what a huge vat of liquid gold was doing there.
3PO must do something "heroic" in the next movie to deserve his gold plating.

[ 02-13-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: I81Kenobi ]

Admiral_Ackbar
02-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by I81Kenobi:
Not "stupid", but I don't remember any gold battle droids or supers. I'd be forced to wonder what a huge vat of liquid gold was doing there.
3PO must do something "heroic" in the next movie to deserve his gold plating.<font size="2" face="arial">True, but there are a lot of inconsistencies in the OT and prequels - for example - why does Owen "repurchase" c3po in ANH and not remember him?

Or on the flip side - why doesn't 3po remember Owen? I'm sure 3po has an excellent memory - he's a droid for heaven's sake!!

I'd rather have an explanation for his gold plating instead of 3po just showing up gold at the beginning of ep.III - which I'll bet he does...Lucas is getting lazy in regards to explaining things!

Jedi_Knight
02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Why and this has nothing to do with what your wife said but why does everyone need to have explanations for everything. I didn't mind the introduction of Boba Fett through Jango but I really didn't need to see where Boba came from. Making up stupid little side stories why eveyone is connected is just silly to me. Boba could have just shown up in Empire the way he did with no back story and I would have been fine I like the way they did it so it works. But like the little Greedo in E1 that was just dumb.

Admiral_Ackbar
02-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
Why and this has nothing to do with what your wife said but why does everyone need to have explanations for everything. I didn't mind the introduction of Boba Fett through Jango but I really didn't need to see where Boba came from. Making up stupid little side stories why eveyone is connected is just silly to me. Boba could have just shown up in Empire the way he did with no back story and I would have been fine I like the way they did it so it works. But like the little Greedo in E1 that was just dumb.<font size="2" face="arial">I agree with you about Boba - he should be a mysterious character - seeing him as a little brat in aotc kind of ruined it for me.

The same with greedo - that scene was just stupid -

But 3po on the other hand is not a mysterious character IMO - I would have like to know who finished his outer casing AND I would have/like to see how or why he becomes gold - It's just one of those questions that I think most people have unlike Boba - nobody wanted to know his origin - he was just cool in ESB and ROTJ.

I appreciate your comments though -

JoshEEE
02-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Since Lucas really seems to like C3PO, we may yet see him get painted gold. Remember, he's hanging out with Anakin the last time we see him, and he's got to change hands at least a few more times before Episode IV. So maybe he'll get painted in the next one.

Maybe Padme will have him painted gold. After all, she's very rich...and getting your droid all chromed out is kind of like getting new rims on the car. You know...."Bling Bling", right?

02-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Its been said that the droids get their memories wiped, but I have a feeling that R2 won't. Just look at Ben's face when he says "I don't seem to remember any droid"

bjlevine
02-17-2003, 11:00 PM
I strongly suspect that C-3PO will make his entrance in E3 already gold-plated while on Naboo. Just a hunch.

VaderG60
02-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Knight:
... but why does everyone need to have explanations for everything. I didn't mind the introduction of Boba Fett through Jango but I really didn't need to see where Boba came from. Making up stupid little side stories why eveyone is connected is just silly to me. Boba could have just shown up in Empire the way he did with no back story and I would have been fine I like the way they did it so it works. But like the little Greedo in E1 that was just dumb.<font size="2" face="arial">Amen brother! Preach on. Leave a little to our own imagination, Lucas. I don't need to know the backstory to every mundane detail in the Saga. Maybe if GL would just concentrate on the actual story and dialog instead of tedious stupid CGI details and other crap that has nothing to do with the actual premise, the PT would've been a whole lot better.

02-17-2003, 11:56 PM
About Greedo being in EP1. I just don't remember seeing that unless you are refering to Anakin's little Rodian friend. If so, that's not Greedo. His name is Wald.
http://www.freewebs.com/frankenfigures/MVC-159F.JPG

VaderG60
02-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by I81Kenobi:
About Greedo being in EP1. I just don't remember seeing that unless you are refering to Anakin's little Rodian friend. If so, that's not Greedo. His name is Wald.
http://www.freewebs.com/frankenfigures/MVC-159F.JPG<font size="2" face="arial">In one of the cutscenes from TPM, when Anakin attacks a Rodian youth about cheating to win the podrace, that Rodian youth is named "Greedo" in the script. You are correct about Anakin's Rodian friend being Wald.

02-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Really?? That is stupid. I haven't seen this cut scene yet.

DARTH_TRADER
02-18-2003, 06:30 PM
3p0 gets gold plating after he falls into the hands of Princess Leia.The gold plating comes from bieng considered a possesion of royalty.

[ 02-18-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: DARTH TRADER ]

JoshEEE
02-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Wasn't Padme royalty? At least at one point?

You'd think she could afford gold plating for all her droids. Plus a couple of chains for "Ani", and a chromed out lightsaber handle.

02-19-2003, 11:32 AM
I believe she was elected as senator, but there was no "royalty" in the Naboo government.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
03-04-2003, 01:59 AM
I think he should get it in an unfortunate Smelting accident... then he would be toght, toght like tiger.

Jango_Fettish
03-04-2003, 02:12 AM
C3-P0 has an English accent, isn't dat veerd?

Darthmarc
03-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan1977:

I have a feeling that George won't tell/reveal to us how 3po gets gold plated - he'll just be gold in EP.III...

Flatter my wife and post your praises here! <font size="2" face="arial">What GL should explain is why Owen doesn't recognize C3PO in ANH. In AOTC we clearly see that C3PO is owned by the Lars', and he buys C3PO again in ANH.....continuity please!!! I know the droid could have his memory washed, but how do you explain Owen's stupidity???(maybe that's why he wanted Luke to take the droids first thing in the morning to have their memory erased....). GL will never explain why 3PO becomes the "golden rod" (off screen I bet).

bjlevine
03-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Darthmarc:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by ObiWan1977:

Flatter my wife and post your praises here! <font size="2" face="arial">What GL should explain is why Owen doesn't recognize C3PO in ANH. In AOTC we clearly see that C3PO is owned by the Lars', and he buys C3PO again in ANH.....continuity please!!! I know the droid could have his memory washed, but how do you explain Owen's stupidity???(maybe that's why he wanted Luke to take the droids first thing in the morning to have their memory erased....). GL will never explain why 3PO becomes the "golden rod" (off screen I bet). </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Owen is a backwater moisture farmer (pity Lucas chose not to develop this character in the PT). He sees a droid after 20 years that is now gold plated and he's supposed to recognize him, particularly when he picks him out of the Jawa scrap heap?

As I stated earlier, this doesn't bother me. What bothers me is Obi-Wan's not recognizing R2-D2. And of course, the whole concept of Vader building 3PO. That's whack!

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
03-04-2003, 10:55 PM
I agree... Especially since Owen probably has seen DOZENS if not Hundreds of Droids similiar over the 20 odd years btween AOTC and ANH. Plus, he's old... Like...OLD!

Spike
03-07-2003, 06:36 PM
I think its just cool that your wife is thinking that seriously about star wars at all. Pretty cool.

Jango Pesic-

Your response to the first post seems overly harsh. Lighten up, kid.

03-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Spike:
I think its just cool that your wife is thinking that seriously about star wars at all. Pretty cool.

Jango Pesic-

Your response to the first post seems overly

harsh. Lighten up, kid. <font size="2" face="arial">Sorry, I not meant to be harsh. However though, if you think, one of his leg is not painted, so it would be impossbile for him to be painted gold if her were to fall into a bucket of gold paint and getting one of his leg painted but the other not painted. Who know how he got gold? images/icons/confused.gif

Hopefully there will be an explaination on how he became gold in esipode 3.

Sith_Lord_Cptn_Winkee
03-26-2003, 01:30 AM
I think we'll see the droids sent with the baby Leia and (who did Jimmy Smits play, was it Bail Organa?, her "father")to Alderaan but their memories will be erased for her (and luke's) protection. Then they are kept around, and cleaned up as they now belong to important people, but don't get to interact with Leia (property of one of her "fathers'" close associates), once again for safety's sake.

As for Owen not recognizing C-3PO... I think it's like us and microwaves or other house hold appliances. Yeah, you may have one for years, see it everyday, but outside that context you probably won't recognize it. It's not like you'd walk down the street and see a washing machine on the curb and scream "that's my washing machine! what the heck is it doing here?"

I think it's the same with Obi-wan and R2. He never owned R2 (like he said in ANH) and didn't really interact with him that much. For our sake we don't see alot of similar R2 units (GL doesn't want to confuse us) but in a huge galaxy I bet there are hunderds of thousands that look exactly like him.

Swiss_Army_R5
04-17-2003, 11:07 PM
I'm sure he get's his foot blown off coming up.

He likely get's gold plated so he fit's in better with the fancy types that Amidala is seen with in Naboo. MAybe he becomes a senatorial droid for her.

James_Gallo
04-18-2003, 10:50 AM
WEll the problem in Star Wars with Ben and owen not knowing the Droids is simple, GL wasn't makeing 6 or 9 movies then so it wasn't and issue. With the Prequals he has a TON of issues to deal with.

I don't think he will go the mind erase route as that would be "crule".
There are certainly a lot of R2 units but 3po is unique in that he wasn't build in a factory but by some kid, therefore he is one of a kind.
I could see him getting dipped in gold, with the one leg keeping him from going under the silver one.
I think this will be done off screen as a lot of the problems will likely just go away.

James

Jedi_Knight
04-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Yes he was built by Anakin but from parts to make a model that was in production. TC-14 and the rude protocol droid on Cloud city look identical except for color.

Newob
04-22-2003, 06:02 AM
i feel that now that 3po is part of the republic, he will be donned in gold to look more saphisticated, after al he is a protocal droid, and must look the part. i think that he will have a major role inep3 as an interprter for diplomatic missions. as for owen not knowing the droid, i have heard the arguement about 20 years and owen forgot, or that it would be like knowing your toaster after not seeing it for 20 years. in ep1 we learn that R2 has his own ID number, and all other droids resembling 3po each have their own number. so the question is, why didnt owen know the number, especially after living wiht him for however long. watto said he sold schmee years ago, so that gave owen ample time to know 3po quite thoroughly. i think that owen did know that it was 3po, and just kept his mouth shut, figuring that if 3po did not know him, then he had had a memory swipe, no sense in mentioning anything about it, for the sake of luke not wanting to know more and "follow ole obi-wan off on some damn fool idealistic crusade"

Newob
04-22-2003, 06:16 AM
and another thing, as far as what some of you said about other characters, i dont like that GL had to tie evryone in somehow. he gave us all these back stories for people that i didnt want to know about. he had aproved of backstories in the past, and all these books came out, like tales from the bounty hunters and tales from the cantina, and we had great backstories, and now, all those stories are for not. i wish he would just leave well enough alone.