PDA

View Full Version : spiderman beats starwars at boxoffice.

05-20-2002, 09:14 PM
do you beleive that images/icons/shocked.gif but i bet when both movies are out of the movie theaters star wars will win out in the end. when all the money is added up.i think more peapol,fans mostly will be seeing star wars multible times more then spiderman.i liked spiderman alot and will see it again.but ill be seeing star wars at least 10-20 times while i can see it on the big screen images/icons/grin.gif

Jango_Fettish
05-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Only reason people liked Spiderman, aside from die hard Spidey fans, are that "ordinary" people can draw something for it. It's kind of a trend. Aside from that, Spiderman opened on close to 1,500 more screens than AOTC.

I did my part by seeing AOTC for the 3rd time, this afternoon. I am certain AOTC will come out on top when all is said and done.

jawas_rule
05-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Fear not, Star Wars will prevail in the end. Spider-man is one of the lamest comic-based movies I have seen of late. X-men was far superior in every way. I don't know what everybody is so in love with in this movie images/icons/confused.gif . I think Star Wars will rule the boxoffice for the year 2002, just as The Phantom Menace did in 1999, although The Sixth Sense was honestly my favorite movie from that year.

Melkor
05-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Oh, my God! I have found someone else who hated Spider-Man!!! I thought I was the only one.

jawas_rule
05-20-2002, 10:01 PM
No, Melkor, you are not alone! images/icons/grin.gif

AdmAckbar
05-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Agreed Star Wars will win out in the end.

Knightstalker
05-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Spidey did open on a lot more screens than AOTC, plus it opened with no competition. But ultimately, who cares? It's not like we'll be seeing any of the profits.

JediMAC
05-21-2002, 01:46 AM
AOTC will win out in the end. Unfortunately, one of the previous Star Wars flicks (or two) will likely have to make way for Spiderman in the process.

The biggest thing going for Spiderman is that beautiful scene of Kirsten Dunst in the rain. I mean, Natalie's quite nice in her midriff baring outfits, but nothing beats a little bit of water to enhance one's wardrobe...

Maybe if George plays his cards right in Episode 3, we'll get a good scene showing the "creation" of Luke and Leia. If that's the case - look out Titanic, here we come! Oh well, I fella can dream. Speaking of which, I better nod off for the night before I say something that's going to get me completely flamed by the ladies here in the forum!

05-21-2002, 02:05 AM
JediMac, my thoughts EXACTLY about spiderman...

05-21-2002, 08:43 AM
I haven't seen Spiderman yet. And I probably won't until it comes to video. Whenever I go to the movies, it'll be for AOTC!!! I've seen it twice, and I'm itchin for more.
AOTC will definately win out in the end.

05-21-2002, 09:24 AM
the only reason spidey beat star wars was becasue aotcs opened up on a thrusday and spidey opened up on a friday so they do weekend sells which rules out the seels on thrusday if aotc open it up on friday spidey wpuld have went down

The_Commander
05-21-2002, 01:40 PM
What I heard was ATOC opened in 500 fewer screens than Spiderman. ATOC took in more than $9000 per screen, but Spiderman took in less than $5000 per screen even though it had the larger total. ATOC would have beat it if it were being shown on more screens. In a couple of weeks Spiderman will be gone. ATOC I expect will keep showing through August.

JediPadawan
05-21-2002, 03:20 PM
What's the deal with Spiderman? Why is he so popular? images/icons/confused.gif

Spiderman is a pitiful arachnid wanna-be! He's some guy in red pajamas playing with silly string on rooftops! images/icons/grin.gif What do people like about some deranged lunatic who thinks he's a bug?

You'll all see! Star Wars will CRUSH Spiderman like the pathetic arachnid he is!! images/icons/smile.gif Besides, AOTC opened on a Thursday and played on less screens. If Star Wars opened before Spiderman, the turn-out would've been different....

*Imitating Darth Vader*
''The ability to hang from silly string is insignificant next to the power of AOTC. ''

''I find your lack of faith in Star Wars disturbing.''

''Don't underestimate the power of Star Wars.''

*Back to normal voice*
I think I made my point. Spiderman will be destroyed!

To show my support for Star Wars, I refuse to go on a class trip to go see Spiderman next Thursday. I will NOT contribute to Spiderman's box office gross!

[ 05-21-2002, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: JediPadawan ]

Alex_Salazar
05-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Spider-Man is an just an above average movie with a great looking girl but 3 weeks from now people will be: where is spidey? oh now I see it, Ewan crushed it.

apokolips
05-21-2002, 03:47 PM
This topic belongs in the film discussion section. I'll transfer it now...

[ 05-21-2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: apokolips ]

05-30-2002, 10:10 AM
To show my support for Star Wars, I refuse to go on a class trip to go see Spiderman next Thursday. I will NOT contribute to Spiderman's box office gross! <font size="2" face="arial">A class trip to see Spiderman? The American education system is in worse shape than I thought. No offense JediPadawan, but that has to be the most disturbing thing I have heard in a long time. Please tell me you are in college, for that will be my only consolation.

jango boba fett's post also shakes my faith in our education system. I sure hope he is in elementary school.

Please don't take offense, as nothing is meant as a personal attack. I am just amazed at some of the things I read. I need to hurry up and get certified to teach.

spacefighter
05-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JediPadawan:
Spiderman is a pitiful arachnid wanna-be! He's some guy in red pajamas playing with silly string on rooftops! images/icons/grin.gif What do people like about some deranged lunatic who thinks he's a bug?

You'll all see! Star Wars will CRUSH Spiderman like the pathetic arachnid he is!! images/icons/smile.gif Besides, AOTC opened on a Thursday and played on less screens. If Star Wars opened before Spiderman, the turn-out would've been different....
<font size="2" face="arial">That was me with the silly string. I love star wars more than anything, but Spidey is NOT a deranged lunatic. He was genetically altered and has a guilty concience, but then, who hasn't had that happen to them...
Also, while it is somewhat important that Sidey opened on more screens, Star Wars will play for Many months, way longer than Spidey will play, just because of the repeat traffic. That means That more people may have seen spider-man, while EpII makes money off of people going back to look for easter eggs. And a thursday opening extends its opening weekend by one day. You want to compare numbers, track spider-man from May 3rd until it is out of theaters, and then compare it to the EpII box office for the same amount of time after it opened. I agree that Star Wars will eventually win out, but it may be closer than you'd think.

05-30-2002, 01:34 PM
"X-men was far superior in every way."

No offense but the X-men have always been one of the worst comic books ever! Terrible storylines, god awful characters, and an all around boring concept. And the movie was one of the worst I've ever seen.

zigga94
05-30-2002, 02:05 PM
okay a while back when they released pics of the new spiderman movie, i knew right away i would
NOT pay to see this, and i have yet to give it my 8 bucks. the main reason is green goblins costume. WTF was that sh*t?? and with x-men, yea it was cool, but it totally screwd with the real story and messed it up, i liked the effects and action, but the story sucked!!! star wars is far superior than both of these. i think that daredevil with ben affleck is gonna suck, and they want to do a hulk movie, and a few others. i think the comics are better left untouched by the movie industry. just my 2 cents