PDA

View Full Version : why is jake llyod so hated?

Swiss_Army_R5
05-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Why is Jake Lloyd so hated? He doesn't do a bad job acting in TPM. His Yipee is no more out of place than Luke saying ouch. It's not like an over done earth phrase like "thats gotta hurt"-stupid phode and bede.

05-14-2002, 09:34 PM
I didnt know he was so hated..LOL. I thought his acting kind of sucked..but he's a cute lil' guy I couldnt hate him images/icons/tongue.gif

Jango_Fettish
05-14-2002, 09:52 PM
People are too accustomed to seeing adult actors in Star Wars as main characters. Kind of look over the fact the kid was like 10 years old. I think he pulled his part off just as he should, he as a KID..

[ 05-14-2002, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Darth Hybrid ]

05-15-2002, 11:05 AM
i didnt hate him......
he did a good job acting in TPM. what else do you expect a 9-10 year old to say if they are happy?
YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

images/icons/smile.gif

Swiss_Army_R5
05-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeah I saw the DVD and some of the others were really bad.

Yippee I can live with, Are you an Angel is pretty hokey but it was written for him. Heh heh he could have had the line "are you a twi'lek dancing queen? i hear they are the most beatiful creatures in the galaxy". Heck he could have said are you a Lefjslrji? that would have been better.

Herby
05-16-2002, 12:50 AM
I think that there is a general dislike for him, which seemed to get compounded by the amount of stories that came out of the making of the movie with other actors/workers saying he was a brat. I will argue that it's not his acting that's cheesy, simply some of the lines. I REALLY hated the line Yippee and I REALLY hated the line "are you an angel" However, blaming him for this would be like giving me a pile of marshmallows to build a car and then blaming me for not making a Porshe. You do what you can with what you've got. Besides, did anyone watch the footage on the EP1 DVD of the tryouts for Anakin? Lloyd was a master thespian compared to the kids he was up against!

05-16-2002, 01:54 AM
he can't act
he had baaaaaaaad lines
he was annoying
he was whiny
he was short
he can't act
he detracted from Vaders mystique
he can't act
he's a brat
and he can't act

I also saw that documentary where he was trying out agaisnt the other two who completely SUCKED! still I'll always remember that part when they're sitting around the table and he can't say coruscant properly and they all get annoyed at him so he runs off into the corner and builds sand castles

Swiss_Army_R5
05-16-2002, 02:05 AM
he was whiny? when and how in a way that kids normally aren't

he was short? so he should have been a 6 foot 10 year old?

took away vader mystique? I think it adds to it. A nice little kid turning bad then redeeming himself is very interesting.

Alex_Salazar
05-16-2002, 09:10 AM
Is he really hated? he would be even more hated if Jar Jar would not have been in TPM.

I dont think he is really hated, I dont think Hayden will be hated by fans (well, maybe a little jealousy about Padme takes place but thats all) images/icons/grin.gif

Jake's performance was not so bad, he is just shown as an annoying kid who likesto help people.

Swiss_Army_R5
05-17-2002, 02:05 AM
Hayden with a bit hosery. His accent (western canadian) was a bit bleh. But all in all i can certainly live with it.

jawas_rule
05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
I had more problems with his personality off-screen than anything else. I had watched several interviews with him prior to the release of the film, and he was quite obnoxious. In terms of his performance, compare his to the boy in The Sixth Sense from the same year. There is just no comparison.

musasa
05-22-2002, 12:58 AM
I don't hate the kid at all. Most responsibility for his performance rests on George Lucas's bad writing and directing.

05-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Find me a ten year old kid that is not obnoxious and I will adopt him on the spot.

Lloyd did a fine job. All actors are jerks offscreen, especially ones that do not have much experience being around people who are not actors.

Anyone who thinks that Haley Joel Osment was no obnoxious needs to lay off the crack.

Normal kids are bad enough, but Hollywood kids are different creatures altogether.

You know what they say, don't hate tha playa..

06-11-2002, 05:08 PM
It wasn't just in this film. Has anyone seen Jingle all the Way? He cannot act.

DarthMaulSithLord
06-11-2002, 06:32 PM
I have no problem(s) at all with Jake Lloyd. I think he did a pretty good job.

But i do agree that some lines were a bit "Forced".

images/icons/grin.gif

06-11-2002, 11:10 PM
Kids don't belong in Star Wars. Period. I realize this movie was necessary to character establishment, etc., and I can live with it. I just can't watch it like I watch the other movies. I watch it maybe twice a year, and then I remember how much it completely sucks! Little Ani and Jar Jar ruined it for me. images/icons/mad.gif

Matt_D
06-12-2002, 02:32 AM
I gotta agree with Musasa. Kids are not usually brilliant actors, and weak directing just magnifies it. George directed and wrote it, so I'd blame him.
I personally didn't mind the Jake that much at all.

06-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Daniel Logan is one that I would consider a kid, albiet he didnt have nearly as much lines but I thought he was great as Lil Boba. Hayden deserves some type of recognition for his role as Anakin in Episode 2 and I thought Jake was ok as Anakin, nothing mind blowingly spectacular but he was fine. images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/wink.gif

[ 06-12-2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Alegejapar ]

06-12-2002, 01:38 PM
i wish little boba had more lines. But you cant expect someone with very little experience to act like an award winner. its just impossible.
But i thought daniel logan was excellent as the bratty boba. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

"Dad, look!"
"Get him dad, get him!"
and his evil laught when he deployed sonic charges. excellent. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/wink.gif

images/icons/smile.gif

06-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Yeah micsn peep, hi laughs were hilarious! images/icons/smile.gif

r2d2_26
06-19-2002, 08:14 PM
I just didn't like Jake's acting that much. I guess for a kid it was ok, but there were a few lines I didn't like. His Yepee!! was fine, I don't mind that at all. But, for example: "I care for you too, only I..." (Padme ->) "miss your mother." That part was the worst, I think. They needed to reshoot that, in my opinion. Or: "Will I ever see you again.?..." That part needed some help too.
Little Bobba was ok, but I didn't like the part when he looks at Obi-Wan all funny. They needed to redo that scene too. And I actually thought those lines lines during the asteroid field sequence: "Get him, dad, get him. Fire!" and "Hehehehe." were kind of bad (but that's just my opinion, of course).
I loved AOTC and it is my favorite Star Wars movie, but I recognize there were a few things about some of the acting and dialogue that could have been much better.

J3_M8
06-20-2002, 02:17 AM
It's Turbo Time.

06-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Because
A.) Star Wars fans take things way to serious AKA those killing Jar Jar sites images/icons/shocked.gif images/icons/rolleyes.gif losers.
and
B.) he really was not that great a actor.
I will admit he was pretty bad at acting, but I dont hate him at all. Hes just a little guy, its silly to hate a child because of how he acted in Star Wars.

06-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Vader's crony:
Kids don't belong in Star Wars. Period. <font size="2" face="arial">Then obviously you know nothing about star wars.

Angry_Ewok
06-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Well his acting sucked, and to make it worse, his lines (and just about everyone elses) sucked at the same time.
Yipee is okay with me, but "Are you an angel" is lame and stupid. I remember when I was his age I saw this hot chick and I didn't ask a ******* question, I said, "Wow, you're beautiful." Besides that, a ton of his expressions during the pod racing were dumb.
I sat there in the theatre thinking, "If you've done this before, why are you freaking out just going in a straight line? Huh?"

Oh yea, but worse than Jake were his fellow slave buddies, "You so funny annie, hehehe", now THAT was lame as hell... he didn't even have a Rodian slur.

06-25-2002, 05:00 PM
I think Jake LLoyd did an excellent job in TPM ; & I think George Lucas did a fine awesome with the casting. Personally I think Jake takes a lot of the blame overall because of JarJar (who I really hate) ANyhow years from now we'll all look back at this movie & say its up to par with the rest of Star Wars movies. images/icons/grin.gif

TimothyC
06-26-2002, 01:04 PM
THE FINAL WORD:

To sum up what most people are saying.......

1) Jake Lloyd can't really act. (He's only a kid, so cut him some slack.)

2) Given such 'stinky' lines ("Are you an angel?") even a good actor would have still sucked images/icons/tongue.gif .

--Timothy C.

06-26-2002, 02:30 PM
To add to my earlier comments, he did fine for a kid. Some adult actors couldn't even pull off his part (Pauly Shore). He was given a bunch of cute, cuddly lines that just didn't sit right with the rest of the movie. I still think that younger kids have no place in Star Wars, because they'll always be handed cutesy, stereotypical lines. He did the best that he could with some of the worst lines in Star Wars history. I don't hate Jake Lloyd. He did alright, for a little kid. I'm glad that he's out of the way now, so we can get out of the little kid aspect of Star Wars.

Beaubi_Wan
06-26-2002, 06:14 PM
I do not agree with Vader's Crony that kids do not belong in star wars. I do, however, agree that Ewoks rock! images/icons/smile.gif
Here's my thoughts on Lloyd-
-He's a kid, what do you want from him? He didn't need to be anymore emotional than he was. And yes, he was annoying and a bit cocky at times, but how do kids act? Wouldn't you brag if you were nine and you had built a friggin' podracer and a protocol droid? And c'mon, he knew how to butter up Natalie Portman with his sweet lines. Er...okay I'll leave dairy products out of this.
-He's fine, and in my Op. Hayden was way worse than Lloyd, and the entire movie (Ep. II) was about him. The first one was about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, little Ani was just a side character, the movie was just to get him introduced.
So there, thats what I think.

obi1kevnobi
06-30-2002, 10:24 AM
I always thought Jake was treated unfairly. I always defended him. At Cele 2 that all changed. I would have never recognized him had Warwick Davis not shouted out his name. I was next in line to get Warwicks autograph. I was cool with it. I had waited in lines all day anyway. I mean thats Jake Lloyd how cool is that? I asked the person whom he was with if I could get his auto really quick. She was a complete b*^ch. I quote "Jake is not here in offical compasity, and will not sign anything." I just looked at her amazement. The dude does not have anything going on so he should try and keep his fan base. I let it all go. It was not Jake saying that to me so no big deal. I snapped a couple of pictures of him. As he walked by all I said was hello. Nothing. No hello back. No smile. Nothing. I did not even exist. It is hard to admire and defend someone when they are rude to their fans. I thought I was being nice by not drawing attention to him. I could have yelled "look everyone its Jake Lloyd." Oh, well. I certainly have mixed feelings. If by chance Jake reads this: I would like to have my 8X10 pic of you as Anakin back I sent you 2years ago.

06-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Obi1kevnobi, that's shocking. I mean, from some interviews printed in magazines circa April 1999, Jake seemed sorta obnoxious, but showing no respect whatsoever to your fans? I guess he is kinda bratty.

Originally posted by Angry Ewok:
Oh yea, but worse than Jake were his fellow slave buddies, "You so funny annie, hehehe", now THAT was lame as hell... he didn't even have a Rodian slur.
<font size="2" face="arial">Oh, yeah Wald. Wald is cool. While his voice was sort of annoying, in some ways, he's kinda neat. No. I'm lying. That guy really really sucks. I mean, as if his voice and dialogue weren't bad enough, his accessory is a friggin Frying pan! Honestly, how hard can you suck. No wonder there's a cut scene in which Anikin beat him up ...

r2d2_26
07-03-2002, 03:31 AM
Well, I just want to say that, in my opinion, Hayden did a fine job in Attack of the Clones. At last we could see the romance between Padme and Anakin, and there was good chemistry between Natalie and Hayden. We could also see the pain that started driving Anakin to the dark side, along with the influence from Palpatine.
He played his anger, his frustration, and sadness very well.
Jake might have been ok as Anakin, but Hayden was much better.
The movie was not just about Anakin as someone mentioned, in my opinion, since clearly there were several things going on at the same time: a love story and a tragedy (Shmi's death), and the search for the bounty hunter and discovery of the separatists plans.
I think Natalie, Hayden, and Ewan did a great job, with Ewan being the best.

THj
07-05-2002, 12:57 AM
ANyhow years from now we'll all look back at this movie & say its up to
par with the rest of Star Wars movies. <font size="2" face="arial">I for one will NEVER compare EP1(or EP2 for that matter) to the original trilogy. They're fun movies, and a nice way to blow my money, but in comparison, they suck.
Jake Lloyd? Lousy actor. Both in Jingle all the Way and in EP1. He just can't act. He was given lousy lines(by the man who I hope does not direct EP3), but he sure didn't do anything to improvise. He was only good in two scenes: where he got on the air taxi, and when he got in a fight with Greedo(not the other Rodian). Both of these weren't even in the theatrical release. Ugh.

THj