PDA

View Full Version : Lucas admits it!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwickjedi
05-01-2001, 12:00 AM
I left the title a bit vague because I wanted your guys' attention to be grabbed, and that is all that I intend on grabbing! I just watched the "making of Epi II exclusive Part 2" on www.starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com) and in the beginning Lucas states that he is a "visual" filmmaker as opposed to a literary filmmaker! This really made me think, because it seems to me that lately, he has focused more on the FX images and technology than he has done with the story and dialogue......especially the dialogue. He mentioned this and it seems true.....with TPM. I felt the dialogue was mediocre at best with some of the scenes. The images in the movie were superb, but the dialogue? and the story could have been pieced up a bit better too....but some of the dialogue? Even the original trilogy had much better, more APPROPRIATE dialogue than TPM. Anyways, if you see the clip over at starwars.com, he will admit that he is more visual than literary and this may be why he turned to Jonathon Halas to help out with the script.....hopefully the dialogue as well, this next movie is the most crucial of the next three in my opinion! Any comments?

JediTricks
05-01-2001, 08:24 AM
I didn't know this was in dispute. Time and time again, since American Graphitti, Lucas has said that he has trouble writing scenes of dialogue, that he has to hammer away at them for long stretches to get them to work, and even then, they're often a thorn in his side. It's no surprise Lucas is a visual filmmaker, he went to USC to become a cinematographer, not a director. One of his first "real" jobs was cinemtographer on the documentary Gimme Shelter, about the free concert in Altimont, CA where the Hell's Angels were supposed to be free security and ended up killing a guy.

In TPM, Lucas was described as a very hands-off director, which I feel may be part of the reason the film isn't as well-accepted as the other films. Another reason may be that Lucas forgot his own words: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

jwickjedi
05-01-2001, 07:53 PM
Yah, that is my point! I have read quotes, probably that one in fact where he feels that "he is telling a story first, it is his story" or something like that.....now he says that he is NOT literary but visual, which has been fairly obvious with TPM! It seems that he may be focused a bit too much on this digital stuff and has gotten away a bit from what really counts, that is all! JediTricks, you seem to know your stuff pretty well, and I appreciate your response!