PDA

View Full Version : Did Lucas create SW based on his own life ?

starwars_shop
10-04-2001, 03:49 AM
Maybe you can shed some light ? Did Geoege Lucas create Star Wars based on his own life experiences ? Goog against Evil, Hope for Peace etc, is that not what we all still crave or are there too many megalomaniacs out there ?

flarida
10-04-2001, 05:05 AM
I'm going to move this over to the Classic Trilogy forum. This forum is only for discussing the vintage toy line.

JesseJames
10-04-2001, 03:07 PM
I know the majority of what is in the movie is from his life, but I dn't know about the bigger deals like world peace and such...

Luke Skywalker was originally based around GL, even with concept drawings looking like GL...

Chewbacca is based on his Dog "Indiana" for loyalty and strength... and fur

Han Solo was based on the cocky drag racer Harrison Ford played in American Graffiti

The empire's based on the Nazi Party and the Alliance is based on the allies of WW2

All the fighter scenes were based on WW2 war footage from the guncams

That's all minor stuff, not saying much about the "World peace" thing and stuff, but as art, one can only assume it's his way of expressing his wants and desires for this world... He wanted SW galaxy to look like something familiar, yet new... It was to look lived in like everything had a story

10-04-2001, 06:17 PM
A major inspiration for the film was "The Hidden Fortress," an old Kurusawa film.

10-04-2001, 10:44 PM
Hey,
Yup everyone is correct so far. I would direct your attion to two book on this matter. (1)The Myth of Magic Tour book. This is a great book that you could buy at the Myth of Magic tour that went around the country (I think you can get it at SW.com) it talks about the historical influnces on SW, the uniforms, the situtations, etc and has a good general overview of the mythological influcnes and traditions in SW...John Mollo has a really good part on the uniforms and how Lucas guided and directed the look of SW with himself [John Mollo] and Ralph McQuarrie. Also the historical influnces are discussed with the similarites to Germany and Japan.
As for "The Hidden Fortress" Lucas used the narration technique from that film. The main characters are two bumbling farmers who ru into and wind up helping a samurai who is helping his princess escape from anohter samurai family who is trying to capture her. While it seems like a similir plot, the film does not take take the whole "fight against a corrupt goverement" thing that SW takes with the Rebellion Vs the Empire. Lucas took the idea of having the two farmers as the main characters and the events happen around them idea and applied it to Star Wars with R2-D2 and C3P0, the characters that the story is told through.
The other book you should read is called "The Hero with a 1000 faces" by Joseph Campbell. This is the meat and bones of the SW story where Lucas got all the good ideas from. The book is an exploration into ancient and modern myths and epic tales (Greek, etc...) and contains the basic story elements that Lucas wanted to try and tell in a modern format. He used science fiction to present these timeless story/ideas to a modern audience. For example: Ever think of the Sandpeople as a "threshold creature"? Cambell states that in every heroic epic the main character has to undergo a transformation. This transformation usuaslly occurs when the hero has to fight a threshold creature, a creature that guards the entracne to the new realm that the normal person has to enter in order to start his voyage to become a hero. In SW tearms this means that the Sandpeople that Luke meets and gets his a~~ kicked by are the threshhold creature that luke does battle with before he can enter Mos Esily, the area where his heroic adventure will begin. Another piece of literature that features this same kinda theme is Beowulf. The Great Meade Hall is Beowulf's Mos Esily and Grendel is Beowulf's Sandpeople.
These two books (and being an English major in college) did worlds for me to understand the world and themes presetned in SW.
So I guess my answer is that no it is not based on his life. While names, places and things may be taken from real life, the actual story is a timeless one that we can all relate to.
Be Seeing You.

Be Seeing You.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: SD1138 ]

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 07:52 AM
I heard that Lucas got his ideas for the Force after a particularly bad racing wreck which had him in the hospital for months.

10-05-2001, 08:31 AM
I didn't hear that last one, but that crash left him afraid of doctors and medical procedures. There is a great scene in THX-1138 that reflects the medical-phobia he devloped. The one where Robert Duvall is on the operating table being examined. He is quoted as saying that how he remembered being in the hospital after the crash (probably with a little artistic license thrown in images/icons/smile.gif )

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: SD1138 ]

Spaceman_Spiff
10-05-2001, 10:17 AM
Of course! Didn't you see "George Lucas in Love" images/icons/tongue.gif

_Spirit_of_
10-09-2001, 06:24 PM
SD1138 lead me over here after I posted something very similiar (http://www.collectstarwars.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000364) over at the Prequel forum. If you can catch this program on PBS or get the book by Joseph Campbell (I know I'm going to look for the book), I highly recommend it. It not only explains the SW myth, but really opens your eyes to the world in general.

Good stuff.