PDA

View Full Version : R2-Units

06-20-2001, 11:55 PM
I was just windering if anyone knew how R2 units are named.

They all seem to have the designation r2-[letter][number], but if they gave each individual droid a different callsign then there is only room for 260 different r2 units in the star wars universe. Even if you allowed both characters to be alphanumeric, that only allows for 676 sifferent units.
So do some names get doubled up on (ie is there more than one r2-d2 or can they get a 5th character if required)?

Or are all astromechs necessarily R2s, TC-14 seems very similar to a 3PO droid but has a completely different naming convention.
Perhaps that could explain why Luke called R5-D4 an R2 unit, maybe they ran out of R2 designations, so moved on to R3, R4 and R5 even though they are still R2 Units

Anybody have any theories/explanaitons.

06-21-2001, 10:40 AM
I think this is how it works but I am most likely wrong.

Well the 'R' refers to Astromechs in general. the second alphanumeric is the class, with an r3 being more advanced than and r2, and an r4 being more advanced than an r3 and so on. Possibly they are not more advenced but maybe come with different features. Like say an R5 is an astromech who is better at repair, while a R2 is better at space calculations.

The thrid and fourth letter/number is probably droid specific.

But R2-D2 is a very special droid, he's got booster rockets aster all.