PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul v.s. Luke from ROTJ

06-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Darth Maul versus a more mature Luke in ROTJ. Who would win if they had a lightsaber duel to the death ?

I think Darth Maul wins this one , but not without breaking a sweat. I say he would kill Luke about the same way he killed Qui gon Jinn. Probably would do it a little bit sooner. Luke would hang in there for a while but he would finally tire and the double blade would destroy him........

The only reason Luke defeated Darth Vader in Jedi was because He was Vader's son , Vader LET him....

Vader could have easily destroyed Luke in ESB....

JediTricks
06-11-2001, 05:48 AM
I think Luke, with his ability to channel both sides of the Force to his advantage without succumbing to the dark side, would win once he got sick enough of Maul's showboating. I see Luke watching Maul's style for a while, changing his strategy, then moving Maul into a corner and then whaling away on Maul till Maul's saber was destroyed or till Maul tried some Force push or action that left him open to attack.

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Daigo_Bah
06-11-2001, 07:44 PM
As much as I love Jedi Luke- I have to vote for Maul on this one. I agree with the statement that Vader didn't fight back very hard because of his feelings for Luke. Furthermore, Luke had awesome potential- but I don't think he was even in league with twenty-something Ep1 Obi-Wan in force-using or lightsaber skills by ROTJ's end. His training started way too late, and was too brief to be considered in the same league as Ep1's Jedis.

GNT
06-11-2001, 11:49 PM
I would go with Maul on this one http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Even though he may be an apprentice I think he would find some way to kill Luke Skywalker

GNT™ http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/on.gif

jwickjedi
06-12-2001, 12:49 AM
I think Darth Maul's "Commitment to excellence" will be Maul's downfall!!! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

06-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Luke should have still been a padawan/apprentice himself, but sadly there was no one left to train him.

I think Darth Maul was ready. Even in Jedi , even though Luke had come along way , I still dont think he was ready yet , if you take away the family ties....Luke dies

Darth Maul would know he had been in a fight but Luke would lose.... I dont think Luke would stand much of a chance against any fully trained Sith or Jedi Knight...
He can kick some Jabba Guard *** though...lol

06-12-2001, 01:30 AM
I think Yoda forsaw Anakin turning good again. Thats why he told Luke that his training was through and that all he needed to do was face Vader to become a Jedi.. All Luke really had to do was make an appearance.... He probably knew that Vader would not kill Luke.... Just Luke's presence would be enough to eventually change him...

JediTricks
06-12-2001, 03:19 AM
No way, Luke's actions over the pit of Carkoon show him stomping the opposition with ease, he hadn't even bothered to whip out Force pushes or mind attacks a la Maul in E1 and Vader/Obi-Wan in E4. I think Luke had more at the end of ROTJ till the Emperor blindsided him, and could have given Vader a much worse thrashing. At no time did he ever fall back the way Maul did to Obi-Wan's lone advance.

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds

06-12-2001, 06:02 AM
Luke takes this one. It would take him a little while to get used to Maul's speed (after all he had only seen senior citizens battle it out), but once he got into step... good night.

06-13-2001, 03:21 AM
Well who do you think I'm gonna pick with my call sign as red 5 aussie?

Luke would knock the absolute stuffing out of this red faced loser.

I can see luke opening up a mighty can of woop **** right on darth maul when he least suspected it. With the anger that luke showed at the end of jedi I reckon luke would do a better job of mincing maul into pieces then a blender on "high" would! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
Whats the deal with corn nuts?

07-11-2001, 03:47 AM
Ouch...lol We got us some Luke fans in the house...lol

Luke came a long way fast but I dont think he would last against Darth Maul.....Luke would probably die the same way Qui Gonn did. I dont think Obi-Wan would have won if he had fought Maul by himself. Taking on two Jedi's at once would be an exausting job. Besides Obi-Wan had more time to rest while Maul and Qui-Gonn went at it..... Maul's energy had to be spent....

I think only Vader himself could defeat Maul in a fair fight....

07-11-2001, 08:35 AM
Wow apologizing for Mauls failure?

Okay, Maul wouldn't have gotten tired fighting the two Jedi since well, he would have been feeding on Dark Side energy the entire time especially during the wait after Qui-Jon. So that's no excuse.

I think if Maul ambushed Luke like he did Qui Jon in the desert, then Maul would toast him. But if Luke had time to prepare a little. Luke would beat Maul hands down, the same way Vader would. He'd hold off Maul and wait for Maul to do some assinine show boat move and leave himself open (like he and Obi Wan did constantly in TPM) and then give a death blow.

Luke Massa of the Fo'ce.

Jedi_Idej
07-11-2001, 11:10 PM
By the end of ROTJ, Luke has learned enough to whip Maul. He may not have the agility or quickness that Maul posseses, but a lot of being a Jedi is cerebral. The Emperor plays with Luke. Having to tackle his emotions with his life on the line and then having Palpatine hand him his butt on a platter is a big lesson for Luke and pretty much accelerates his learning.

jwickjedi
07-12-2001, 07:55 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!! I could never imagine Luke beating Darth Maul. Lucas, in my opinion, wanted Darth Maul to look and seem invincible to all of us, by getting some dude that knew fancy martial arts, what was his name, I forget http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
Darth Maul is to look to us as the ultimate swordsman, WHICH HE IS......the whole concept of Darth Maul...is that no matter how much better YOU ARE than your opponent, never LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!!! I will bet my entire SW collection that if you get Luke Skywalker (Hamill) against Darth Maul (Park)....uhh....Darth Park is gonna kick his butt....hands down. No Jedi could beat Maul..Maul beat himself by letting his guard down and ...."now there are 2 of him!" http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Jedi_Idej
07-12-2001, 11:34 PM
Ah, we're not looking at who's the most graceful or who can twirl his saber the fastest, but the total package. One of Maul's weakness (and probably his greatest since it is his downfall) is his arrogance. This is as much an attribute (in a negative way) as his ability to do roundhouse kicks.

Luke also has uncontrolled emotions throughout the OT, but unlike Maul, he survives (albeit with the help of dear dad). In my opinion, it's not a stretch that he learns from this and is better able to focus his energies by the end of ROTJ.

Scout_Trooper
07-13-2001, 10:16 AM
Luke all the way,

Maul has no legs

Quigonbyebye
07-13-2001, 05:22 PM
I would have to say Luke, but only after ROTJ not before. In the first few visible seconds of his duel with Vader, he has sized Vader up found a weakness and knocks Vader on his *****!!! After that he doens't want to fight anymore etc. It's the quickest clearest most one sided victory we've ever seen in all of SW. Same thing for Maul. It took Obi a while and some rest, but he finally knocks Maul down to size. Give him a minute, and Luke would've spotted the same weakness, exploited it and, same thing, only Maul wouldn't be getting back up!

------------------
I have a bad feeling about this...

Amanaman
07-15-2001, 09:35 PM
All it takes Maul is to make a crack at Luke's sister...

jwickjedi
07-17-2001, 12:53 AM
I guess inbreeding makes you stronger in
the ways of the force! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

_DJ_
08-10-2001, 03:01 PM
Luke all the way baby! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/tongue.gif

He would crossover, ever so lightly, to the darkside as he did in ROTJ while fighting Vader. He would wail on Maul until he was a greasy, black and red Sith spot on the floor.
Well at least the fight might have lasted longer than the ones in TPM. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Then he would come back and enjoy a drink with the Jedi Spirits. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif Including Qui-Gon whom he doesn't even know.

------------------
"THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN STAR WARS IS HAVING A CHILD TO SHARE IT WITH"
Thanx to BIGBRET for the Quote!

Inigo_Montoya
08-11-2001, 12:35 AM
Luke backs away from Vader into a shadow. Instantly the darkness is broken with the red flash of a Sith lightsabre. Luke turns to his right and is knocked back by an uppercut. Luke, sprawled on the floor groans in pain and reaches for his light sabre. Gone! He looks up and sees it hovering above his chest. It ignites and swings in a full rotation, slicing Luke from chin to his waist. "Ohhaaaahhhh!" A straight line of blood spurts into the air as Luke is pulled up from the cold, hard floor. Before him is a tattoed Sith, joined now by Darth Vader. Emperor Palpatine cackles in delight. "Maul, I'm so glad you could join us." Maul's sickly yellow clone eyes gleam. He raises his left hand and makes a throwing motion. Luke's barely moving body raises from the floor and flys to the reactor shaft. "Fatttherrrrrrr!" Maul delivers Luke's 'sabre to his lord as Darth Vader peers into the reactor core shaft, frozen in pain. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/tongue.gif

JediTricks
08-11-2001, 08:00 AM
Maul AND Vader against Luke? Wouldn't that be pretty much impossible since Maul's been dead for 32 years by the time Luke defeats his father in saber combat? Even so, I sincerly doubt lightsabers can be activated with the Force, otherwise there'd be a lot of dead Jedi out there as Palpatine when sneaking around behind their backs and activating the switches.

Somehow, I think Dogdude's post is more like "Why didn't the Emperor build 2 Death Stars over Endor?" (which is rumored to be one of the early concepts for ROTJ)

------------------
"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Attack of the Clones." - ANH:NE

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds, POTJ

SithCrusader
08-21-2001, 12:03 AM
The TPM "Making of..." says we've NEVER seen true equals in Jedi combat until Phantom Menace - so far we've only seen:

1) older v. younger ala ANH Obi v. Vader
2) experience v. inexperience ala ESB Vader v. Luke
3) tired old man in walking iron lung v. emotional berserker farm boy ala ROTJ Vader v. Luke

Luke's fighting style looks like Yoda only had time to teach him basic moves with anything else possibly being self-taught (like the Karate Kid before he meets Mr. Miyagi). Otherwise it's just Luke in a mindless frenzy.

Clearly Maul's practiced skills and an almost-religous drive to turn all Jedi into Ewok poodoo AND a dual-blade saber will leave Luke counting his own internal organs as they fall out just before Maul & Sidious start playing volleyball with his head http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

The real question: will we ever see it on Pay-Per-View...?

------------------
"Going somewhere, Solo?"

08-21-2001, 07:28 PM
I would go for Luke. Luke has a much better chance then most are giving him! If Luke builds up his force powers, then Maul is finished! Maul has the weakest force powers I have ever seen.All we saw him do is Lift things and alittle force push. He can only use a saber good, that is the extent of his powers, whereas Luke has a much stronger force facter....... The force is much stronger that any saber!

------------------
When 900 years old you reach, look as good you won't - Yoda

CadBane
07-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Darth Maul would win unforturnately, although it is difficult to tell considering during the ot the only people who used sabres were obi wan who was old and out of shape, vader who was more machine than man and luke who was new.

ThorOakenfelder
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Luke had how much actual training with the lightsaber by that point? compare that to Maul's constant training under a Sith Lord at his peak. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fought Maul to a standstill, and they had trained just as long or longer. Luke just doesn't have the training or experience.

obiwanman93
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I really like Luke but I have to agree that Maul would win. I would say Luke is more skilled in his knowledge of the Force in ROTJ but not with the lightsaber.

jhfagan
07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
This depends also on what time period of each character and if you're going with canon or not.
Maul at his peak was only shown in TPM he died there of course.
Luke however, went on to become MUCH more powerful at his peak, but that was in the EU novels. Not canon.
So if we pit peak Luke against peak Maul, I'd have to say Luke by a long shot.

If we go by what we are given in the films, Maul would spank Luke. Period.

Grak
07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Luke was the least polished swordsman out of all the characters in the Saga. Maul would have wiped the floor with him.

DarthMatrix
07-27-2009, 06:08 PM
My picks Luke. Mauls better with the saber but Lukes stronger with the force and being stronger with the force is what helped Obi Wan beat Maul.

Spiff
07-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Luke is the whole reason for Star Wars -- he's the son of the great Anakin Skywalker, even more powerful than his father, redeemer of the Force. Maul is a two-bit patsy who knew some flashy martial arts.

Guess who's supposed to win? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's why I find these saga-spanning comparisons a little silly -- if you like Maul better and pick him in a popularity contest, that's fine, but it's ridiculous to predict who would win between characters who will never meet and haven't the faintest idea who each other is anyway.

bikerscout
07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
even if Maul beat luke with his saber, Luke would find a way to outsmart him and use the force & defeat him

MichaelJa
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Going to have to go with Luke at his peak, seeing Darth Maul was at his peak in the movies, Luke would dispatch Maul quicker than .00000000000000000000000001 of a second.

Maul's crap in anycase, lol.

Neal
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
The Luke we saw in the films wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against Maul. Now, if you include the EU once Luke becomes a Master, I think that he'd take him down ... though Maul would still put up a fight.

AdmiralScreed
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Hmmm...let's see.

Luke defeated Vader. Vader defeated Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan defeated Maul. Where does that leave us? With Luke at the top. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Another thing you guys need to take into account is the time period in which these movies were made. ROTJ was filmed in 83', whereas TPM was in 99'. The film technology was much more sophisticated when TPM came around, so they were able to use a lot more special effects and make the duel much more intense than they did in ROTJ. If ROTJ had been filmed at the same time as TPM, Luke's duel with Vader would have been quite different. The two of them would have been spinning around, doing back-flips, and flying around the Throne room.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Maul would put up a fight, but Luke would win. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Neal
08-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Where does that leave us?

With faulty logic.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I realize that the "real world" explanation lies in the technology available to the filmmakers.
Even so, Luke had been training in lightsaber combat for roughly how long? A week? Week and a half?
Maul was a trained weapon. Before he went completely stupid, he was holding his own against a Jedi Master and one of the Order's most promising Padawans. One-on-one, he killed Qui-Gon and had Obi-Wan beat. Now, his overconfidence cost him his life (and the fight), but there's nothing saying he makes that mistake all of the time.
Luke would be his b****.

AdmiralScreed
08-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Luke had been training in lightsaber combat for roughly how long? A week? Week and a half?

Yes, compared to Luke, Maul had way more training, but you have to understand that while Luke didn't spend tons of time practicing with Obi-Wan and Yoda, he did go on many quests and adventures that tested him and increased his capabilities with force. Even though it wasn't technically "training", it still made him much wiser and powerful. You saw how much he changed from ESB to ROTJ. That's why I like Luke so much in ROTJ. He, in my eyes, is the true image of Jedi knight. He is wise, powerful, and always in control. Now, to look at Maul. Physically, he is very gifted and powerful. I have read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and it depicts Darth Maul as a lethal assassin, which he is. In TPM, he defeated a very powerful jedi, Qui-Gon, and he almost killed Obi-Wan, but he ended up dead by the end of the battle. Why? He was arrogant. He underestimated his opponent, and it cost him.

Maul wouldn't stand a chance against Luke.

Neal
08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Well then, by your logic, Luke would easily defeat Qui-Gon, seeing that Maul killed him when they ended up fighting one-on-one.
You know as well as I do that that's a crock. Luke would look like a snot-nosed kid against Qui-Gon.

r1bb1t
08-04-2009, 11:52 PM
No offense to anyone, but Luke was a joke with a lightsaber, IMO. And, Darth Maul was a total bad [censored].
Vader beat Obi Wan, when he was old and feeble. Obi Wan left Anakin for dead, when each one of them was young and healthy.
Luke wouldn't stand a chance, against the killing machine, Darth Maul.

CadBane
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
What if two of the most well known Jeid/sith from different time periods could actually fight each other? Maul not only wins but by knock out.

Luke's understanding of the force was not as well as Mauls understanding. Of course if you come from a time period where the foce was taught at a young age and you constantly have sparring partners you would be better. The force is like sports or playing an instrument you have to start when your young and little kid if you want to be good.

Strikefoil
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I would have to go with Luke on that one.

Spiff
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Heck, even Luuke could beat Maul. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

IndianaVader
10-02-2009, 01:23 AM
You kidding me? Maul would thrash Luke into a billion pieces.

_Max

bikerscout
10-02-2009, 08:02 AM
nope, that crystal from Qui-gon's saber wants revenge. (even though it's been disproven more than proven, i will rem. the green crystal as being from QGJ -links the trilogies together in a cool way anyway)

Cave_Jawa
10-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Maul, end of story.

Luke from ROTJ would die. Now if, as was said, we're talking about and even later and even more mature / trained Luke it would probably be a pretty different story though I'm unsure at which point the table would turn and Luke would defeat Maul.

MysterioMenace
10-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Darth Maul is so overvalued. He’s really small potatoes compared to most Jedi/Sith characters shown in both the films and EU. He thrives upon physicality and the lightsaber…and that’s not where it counts when it comes to force-wielding characters. His abilities to utilize the force were microscopic compared to ROTJ Luke, Vader, Dooku, etc. Characters like Vader wouldn't even have to ignight their lightsaber to defeat Maul. Compared to most force-able figures, he’s not much of any threat IMO. He’s overestimated due to his fierce appearance and superficiality. I’ve said it once; I’ll say it a hundred more times. Cool flips and kicks doesn’t equate to superior ability.

I've always viewed a lightsaber fight between Maul and most any major Sith or Jedi very much like the Cairo swordsman scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maul pulls out his gimmicky saber, does some pretty twirls for the audience, a few kicks and spins for flavor. Oooh! Aaaah! And then Vader shrugs and force chokes him to death and strolls away casually...that simple! That's the reality of what would happen, but authors are forced to make Maul/Vader fights more then they'd every truly be for entertainment value.