PDA

View Full Version : ROTJ: Why crack the deathstar's security code?

04-19-2001, 01:51 PM
This is obviously an expanded universe question....(events outside of the movie)

You raise a great question:

I think they landed on the forest moon, wiped out the imperial base team. Stationed people to maintain a "casual" work environment, so as not to arouse suspecion and then went on to the base.

Simple

------------------
You weren't on any MERCY mission this time.

Matt_Fury
04-19-2001, 07:08 PM
I don't think they couldhave gotten inside the shield from anywhere else on Endor....that's why they needed the code. To get through the shield and then land on the planet and take out the shield generator before the Imperials could get rienfocements there.

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

JediTricks
04-19-2001, 07:27 PM
I believe this is a fair point and the only real answer is because ROTJ was poorly-written.

------------------
"Alderaan in flames, missiles heading towards Death Star. Film at eleven."

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

04-20-2001, 12:31 AM
In ROTJ, the rebels in the stolen shuttle had a secret "older code" that checked out, and they were allowed to land. My question is, why was this necessary. They had the whole planet to land on, then sneak up to the base. Security sensors and protocol, you say? Well, how, then, were they able to land out in the woods and sneak around in the forest.
The imperials aparently don't track their inbound traffic all the way down to landing, or they'd have troopers on top of them when they landed.

Sprry75
04-20-2001, 02:16 PM
Why is it an EU question? The events took place in ROTJ. I mean, it calls for some speculation, but does that make it EU--or just speculation?

04-20-2001, 02:39 PM
well, guess we have a clash of syntax...just meant it was not shown in the movie...that is all.

------------------
You weren't on any MERCY mission this time.

JMiller
04-21-2001, 01:13 PM
The rebels had the code checked out in order to keep up their ruse. By appearing legit, they would not raise suspicion by trying to sneak onto the likely heavily-monitored moon. I doubt the shuttle had the speed or stealth capability to sneak onto Endor anyway. Since this was supposed to be a *secret mission* it could account for why superior Rebel ships weren't used to sneak in somewhere else.

That and shoddy writing designed to use the shuttle again, making us all want the toy more.

[This message has been edited by Holographic Wampa (edited 04-21-2001).]

floppy_hat_jon
04-24-2001, 01:33 PM
First, what makes you think that they could just "land" on another part of the planet. Why wouldn't the empire be tracking traffic all over? Second, if they landed somewhere far across the moon, how would they get to where they needed to be? Third, the empire didn't track them because vader knew it was them. Perhaps I misunderstood the question but that's my take.

Mike_S
05-13-2001, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JediTricks:
ROTJ was poorly-written.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If ROTJ was poorly written and you dont like Episode I why are you still a Star Wars fan?
If it were me I would have sold all my stuff.Whats the point of being a fan/collector if you only like bits and pieces of the movies?

apokolips
05-13-2001, 05:33 AM
"Whats the point of being a fan/collector if you only like bits and pieces of the movies?"

Well, I like pork, but I wouldn't eat every part of a pig. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force! (http://www.wickedforce.com)

Mike_S
05-14-2001, 12:56 AM
Wonderful analogy apokolips but If I only liked something in dribs and drabs I wouldn't waste my time collecting toys or moderating forums on a SW message board.
I would have gotten over SW years ago.

JediTricks
05-14-2001, 09:30 PM
The first 2 Star Wars movies are not "dribs and drabs", the Zahn trilogy is not an insignificant part of the EU, nor is SOTE, and the Art Of and Incredible Cross Sections books all add a new dimension to the films. These are elements of Star Wars which I do like. I don't like Star Trek 4, 7, 9 or Voyager too much, but I still love Trek. I don't trust ANYBODY who likes EVERYTHING about anything, it seems like they don't really discern between what is and isn't good, they just follow blindly.

ROTJ was not well-written by the standards of the first 2 films in the series, it had some moments on the Death Star 2 (which was itself a point of poor writing), but the movie wasn't based around those scenes.

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

JediTricks
05-15-2001, 04:58 PM
Could be, but it seems like if the Empire could shield an entire planet, they'd need a bigger Death Star. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif Han's line in the script is "Shuttle Tydirium requesting deactivation of the deflector shield." Perhaps the deflector shield is merely surrounding the area the Imperials are using for the DS2's shield emitter, and Han & co want them to lower that shield so they can land inside the shielded perimeter and offload the rebel troops. I find it VERY hard to believe that the whole planet is shielded, but if they were just landing in an imperial work perimeter, that would make sense.

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

mousedroid
05-16-2001, 12:28 AM
Back to the original question of why the shuttle crew needed a code, I always thought it was like MattFu(r)y said - because the moon had a protective shield around it as well as around the Death Star. I figured there was traffic corridor through the shield that the Imperials required an access code for.

mousedroid
05-16-2001, 07:55 AM
Didn't the rebels have Hoth shielded in ESB? I'll admit though, that has always confused the heck out of me.

1. The Empire couldn't bombard Hoth from space because of the shield.

2. The Empire could still land vehicles on Hoth despite the shield, hence the AT-AT's.

3. The Alliance had to deactivate the shield to evacuate Echo Base.

I guess this lends credence to your arguement of a limited size shield, JT. The Alliance and the Empire both used limited size deflector shields to protect Echo Base and the Endor shield generator respectively. In ESB the Empire landed their craft outside the Alliance shield perimeter and "walked" in. In ROTJ, the Alliance could have tried the same tactic, but risked arousing suspicion. Remember, this wasn't Coruscant or Tatooine, or some other planet with lots of air traffic, it was a basically uninhabited and uncivilized moon; and it was extremely well protected. Instead the rebels decided to try the more direct approach and go in looking like they belonged there. Plus, as fhj says they would have had a much longer walk the other way. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif