PDA

View Full Version : Dune references

apokolips
01-10-2001, 11:23 PM
I think it's more than obvious that Lucas was inspired by Frank Herbert's Dune series. Tatooine is a barren desert planet just like Arakis. It is a useless planet that holds the key to the universe. Han is even referred to as a Spice smuggler. And I can't help but think that the dead giant snake skeleton known through the expanded universe as a Krayt Dragon was a nod to Dune's Sandworms.

Here's what just occurred to me. The Tusken Raiders have always been a favorite of mine, with an image and mystique to rival even Boba Fett. Are the Tusken Raiders supposed to be the equivalent of the Fremen? Are they supposed to be wearing stillsuits? If so, it might help shed a light on just what the Sand People's motivations and origins are. Any thoughts?

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force! (http://www.homestead.com/wickedforce)

amarsella
01-11-2001, 06:35 AM
I haven't watched DUNE in years. However, my mom gave me the widescreen version as a christmas gift and I think that I'll watch it tonight. I'll get back with my thoughts.

------------------
"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth alot to me."

Darth_Cruel
01-17-2001, 04:17 PM
My whole opinion about this may just be "sour grapes" as I am definitely NOT a "Dune" fan, but...

I know that even the author of Dune has mentioned that GL took from his story, but that could be said of any number of movies/stories.

It seems to me that GL is not afraid to talk about his inspirations, (an example of this is his mentioning the Kurosawa[spelling?] samurai films he seems to love) and I have never heard of his being inspired by Dune. I do realize that there are a number of similarities. But I will bet that there are similarities as well to movies/stories that GL never even heard of. In order for me to think that he actually took an idea from "Dune", I would have to see the dates of GL's story revisions and compare them to the progress of the Dune story.

The Tusken Raiders and the Fremen are very similar to most references to desert-dwelling, nomadic groups. I think this is mainly because we, as humans, have a limited pool of experience to draw from. We have only the different cultures we find on earth to give us inspiration and those are limited in number, so they get used often, and without much difference.

On the chance that he did take from "Dune". I would have to say that all of your references are probable and that the Tusken Raiders are very Fremen-like.

------------------
"Boom da gasser, den crashen da Boss' heyblibber, den bannished!"

[This message has been edited by Darth Cruel (edited 01-17-2001).]