PDA

View Full Version : STOP WITH THE EXCLUSIVES!

Rik
06-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Stop it Hasbro! Why do American exclusive figures? You're just losing money! People in Europe can only get hold of exclusives by SCALPER prices on ebay! And all the exclusives are the best figures! Like Oola and Salacious, Bo'marr Monk, Kabe and Muftak, images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif MAX REBO BAND PAIRS!!! images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif . And if you are going to do exclusives, don't have all the figures from Jabba's Palace! All I need are the Band Pairs, Yarna D'al Gargan(DO IT!!!), a Vintage Jabba and Ephant Mon. Now I can't even get the Band Pairs and I wanted those more than ANY other figures(even more than all the figures put together). You put them in a Toys R Us for about a week and then they were gone! We looked in Manchester, Birchwood, Westbrook, Chester all over Christmas '98 but I didn't find them. All I found, was the Barquin D'an and Droopy McCool at a collector store for 45! I look for about 3 hours a day over the web but never find any shipping to England. I'm so upset that I can't find these! I don't need any posts back but I would appreciate it if you read this, Hasbro and think of re-releasing them, the same as last time, carded, open-window boxed, ANYTHING! They were even too rare for YOU to find a picture for your website!(before the Saga makeover)

Swiss_Army_R5
06-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Does Hasbro have a Euro office.

Many of the figs you mentoined are horribly difficult to find here in the States. Most of the pre-episode 2 figs I've never seen. Watto's Box was rediculously hard to find.

Hasbro you need to realize that there are many more buyers out there who want figures adn that you are not releasing them in high enough quantities. If more were released scalpers wouldnt and couldnt buy them all and rip people off on either side of the ocean.

Beedo
06-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Hasbro UK now allows you to order your stuff online, but the selection is pretty lame.

Now, there have been constant reminders that if a piece wasn't produced as an exclusive, we'd never have seen it made. In some cases, this is probably true, but for others, I think that's a load of dingo's kidneys.

If exclusives are the only way to get a certain product made, then Hasbro should do exclusives, but only for the Hasbro websites and the Official Fan Clubs (by which I mean, websites and Official Fan Clubs all around the world, not just the ones in the States). That way, pretty much everyone will get a chance to order them.

What say to that idea?

svarthofdi
06-05-2002, 07:18 AM
I totally agree with you guys,Europe needs it's stuff!

DarthMaulSithLord
06-05-2002, 09:51 AM
I agree too! Hasbro really MUST do something about the situation here and they should be ASHAMED that they haven't done anything yet to improve our situation .

And err...Beedo, the UK "fanclub" doesn't ship outside the UK.

images/icons/frown.gif

06-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Don't forget the George "Jorg Sacul" Lucas figure, which was avalagble for a total of 3 days at one place on the planet. Reward for the fans my *****!

Swiss_Army_R5
06-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Ahh im just glad it was a sucky figure given out and not something really cool. One spot exclusives really are the eviliest of promotions.

Id petition the euro hasbro offices and get everyone to sign it and let them know how you feel. And if you need more votes some of us here in the states can sign too. Heck I buy toys when I've gone to England and Portugal.

Boba_Fitt
06-05-2002, 02:27 PM
It's the same way here in Canada... the exclusives are released in the US but not here. We have the same stores but they won't ship to Canada to sell them. We're on the same d@mn continent Hasbro! Not as if you have to ship across the ocean... and as frustrated as I get over the lack of exclusives here just North of the US (where they get EVERYTHING), I feel pretty bad for the guys in Europe... It's sad really. Obviously Hasbro has to start listening to the fans or the're going to start loosing them... and income.

Beedo
06-05-2002, 05:23 PM
I know they don't ship outsiode the UK, Maul. That's why there should be a continental European Fan Club as well.

And all the fan clubs across the world should carry all the exclusives. Hasbro and Lucas would make scads more money, collectors all over the world would be made happy; it's a win-win situation!

It's a burden being such a genius. images/icons/grin.gif

06-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Hey all,Here are two petitions that some of us are trying to get collectors to print off and get signatures.Spread them around .snail mail them to the address' on each of them

Attn: George Lucas
Lucas Film LTD.
P.O. Box 2009
San Rafael,CA.94912-2009
Re: Frustration and discontent in the Star Wars collecting community

We all wish to thank you for the creation of the Star Wars universe. The characters and situations have been a welcome part of our lives for a long time now. We find ourselves loving your creation so much that we collect toys based on them.

The supplier of these toys is making it incredibly difficult to enjoy the hobby. We all, as collectors, find ourselves more and more frustrated and angry with some of Hasbro's practices and handling of your star Wars property, and that ultimately shines a bad light on Star Wars and you personally as well.

Based on this we feel you have a vested interest in these issues, so we collectively are writing to you in an attempt to gain your help.

We are the people who have been behind you and your creation from the begining. We would very much like to remain until the end. If we are continually "kicked" in the stomach by Hasbro through some of it's practices, alot of us will give up.

The availibility and price of retail "exclusives" has made the love we have for Star Wars wilt. Please "encourage" Hasbro to stop this practice, it only frustrates collectors and gives incentive and income to unscrupulous "scalpers". We, for the most part, are forced to deal with these people or go without the characters and vehicles that we want.

There are also issues of quality with the products we have been offered recently. The plastic used is flimsey and the paint and decal application are terrible in some cases. Again these thing shine a bad light on Star Wars, not just Hasbro.

You enjoy a large number of fans and collectors world wide, not just the U.S.
We wonder why if you decided to actually film the Prequels and the original Trilogy outside of the U.S., why are collectors in these parts of the world so deprived of equal opportunity to get the products they want? They are left outside the "distribution loop". Their frustration levels are even higher than the average U.S. collector. Please help open up Star Wars to the rest of the world in the form of all of of the toys, not only the films.

We also would like to have a small group of appointed collectors from a variety of websites and venues to work directly with Hasbro, give them real consumer input. Each website could vote for representatives yearly and be able to report to Hasbro wants, needs and input to help this be a much more profitable relationship than it is, for all.

We respectfully request that you come to our aid in these issues. We know, of all people, you have ultimate control over Star Wars. We have supported you and your creation for a long time. We ask that you would do the same for us at this time so we can all benefit from the relationship we formed with you in 1977.

We all may be a little "deranged", but we don't mind, considering all the things we could have been involved in instead of Star Wars. Our enthusiasm has not only been a benefit for us, but to you for many years as well.

Thanks so much for Star Wars and thank you for your time and consideration.

and the second petition.

To: Hasbro Consumer Affairs Dept.
Pawtucket,RI 02862
Re:Frustration among Star Wars collectors and possible solutions and backlash

Hasbro Consumer Affairs Dept,

We, collectively, are writing to you to express our disappointment and frustration with a few of your policies in regard to your Star Wars lines of toys. We would also like to offer possible solutions to you.

First, and foremost, is the practice or offering "retail exclusives".
While we thank you for making some of our most wanted characters and vehicles, there is a major problem as we see it. The problem being the availibility of these, the newly announced Imperial Shuttle comes immediately to mind. We are sure F.A.O. Swarz is a fine retail chain and we are also sure you would very much like to continue your business relationship with them. Our problem isn't with any particular retailer but with the extreme difficulty we have in in obtaining the items we want for our collections at retail prices. The limited number of the shuttle guarantees many more on the secondary or "scalper" market at inflated prices then what will be available at retail. Please consider stopping retail exclusives. We are unable, for the most part, to give you our business with them.

We very much want your products but it is becoming almost impossible to obtain them. We also request that you make all of these products available in equal numbers and to collectors outside the U.S. Their frustration levels are evn higher than the average U.S. collector. There is a large number of collectors outside the U.S. that are left out of the "distribution loop" completely and they are growing more and more angry and disappointed by this. Please do not ignor these customers any longer, open the door for them as well.

We feel that offering all exclusives through a revised "Fan Club" site, we all could have equal opportunity to obtain your products. Open to all, everywhere. Same membership dues for all. Same site world wide. Reasonable shipping and fast service. More profits for you and alot less frustration for us.

We also feel that there are quality control issues that need to be addressed. Alot of what we have seen as of late has had shoddy paint and decal application. The grade of softer plastic used is a major issue for us as well. These toys are no where near as sturdy or attractive as they once were. Wilting weapons and vehicle legs just to name two. We have been pleased with the quality of your products in the past, please revert back to those manufacturing practices and materials. When we consider the effort and expense in obtaining this product we are feeling more and more short changed.

Have you ever considered a revolving group of real collectors to report concerns, requests, and input to you? You would have a real feel for the market and your consumers. You could have all the websites and other venues vote for representatives for one year terms. They could then keep you up to date with the collecting community. This works very well for other companies.

Please do not take this portion of this letter as a threat but take it as fair warning. If the levels of frustration and discontent are not lowered, there will be a serious backlash. It will be felt in your sales performance and profits. None of us want to collect thin air. When we cannot find what we want, that is exactly what we are doing. We will eventually give up if the situation does not improve. Your practice in the exclusive area is doing two things. The first is creating the "scalper" market, which is our bane. The second is because of this created shortage we feel like we are being spat upon by your practices.

We feel that we have entered into a business partnership with you and for the most part, we are pleased with the arrangement. If we were not, most of us would not have given you you large amounts of our hard earned money over the years. The things we are unhappy about are enough to make us end the realationship. Availiblity, quality and lack of representation.

Thank for many years of good products. We sincerely hope for many more. We hope you will hear us in these matters and act upon them.

If anybody would like copies emailed to them my address is DABRYANT@aol.com.I'll be glad to get them to anyone who want's them.We have set a target of 10,000 signatures.And they are findind support almost every where we've taken them.They are on about ten different sites at this point.Lets be heard!!

[ 06-05-2002, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Dryanta ]

06-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Hey all,
I'm just touching base.Has anybody decided to participate in these petitions?They are spread out all over now.Forums and meesage boards.We may have an entire fan site ready to support them.We'll know for sure soon.Does anybody have any input on these?Thoughts gripes? anything?
Hope to hear something soon.I think we are shooting for joint submission of these in about a month.So there is some time to gain support and signatures.I will come back and keep those interested posted.Thanks guys for the decent treatment.Some other places have been down right nasty to a few of us.Sad really.Thanks again.Have a great weekend.

Swiss_Army_R5
06-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Boba Snitt if the coming wal-mart exclusives don't come out up their let me know and ill see what i can do to send you the ones you want.

GNT
06-07-2002, 11:04 PM
Hasbro are just plain stupid,they just don't think most of the time...really sad! images/icons/mad.gif

DarthMaulSithLord
06-09-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm going to send those to Hasbro. Thanks man!!!

And errr....is there a site where i can sign?

images/icons/smile.gif

06-09-2002, 02:22 PM
I'd like to chime in here on the nature of exclusives and distribution of toys. I work for Wal-Mart in the state (have for nearly 11 years) and I had 2 1/2 in before that at TRU and I've been a toy collector for 30 years between Star Wars, GI Joe and superheroes and I've had the chance to sit in on several live Q&A sessions with Hasbro/Kenner over the years and I've read everything I can get my hands on about toy design, manufacturing and marketing. Now that my "credentials" are out of the way...

(please forgive the rambling, train-of-thought nature of this post, it's VERY early in my day...)

I'll start by saying that Hasbro isn't really the one at fault over exclusives or distribution. Blame the retailers. They're the ones who pay Hasbro directly for products and if they don't want something in their stores, they don't order it. If they don't order it we never see it. There are 5 corporate toy clients that make the real decisions on what we see -- Wal-Mart, TRU, Target, K-Mart and K-B -- if three or more of these guys pass on an item there's a really good chance that item will never see production unless one of the others manages to get it as an exclusive. These guys don't normally base their corporate purchases on what we "fanboys" want, but on what has sold in the past and how well it sold. That's why we get so few mass-market vehicles and playsets these days, they just don't have the turn-over rate that an action figure does and they don't want to waste shelf space on one big box that will sell slowly when it could be filled by a few pegs of figures that will move faster -- at least according to their sales records and market research. These same buyers can also affect case packout ratios. These are the buyers that told Hasbro that they weren't interested in cases with the AT-AT Drive, Pote Snitkin, Hoth Leia and the Death Star Droid.

The size of a box can also affect purchase decisions... any GI Joe collectors here who remember the 12" GI Joe Rhino jeep from '93 will be interested in knowing that Target passed on that item simply because the box was too big for what they would allow on the shelf -- they didn't like the profit/shelf space ratio on that item. A friend recently complained to me about the upcoming Dagobah X-Wing not having the wings attached in the box, but if it did the box would be three times as wide and there's no way that TRU would stock it simply because it would take up too much space.

As for exclusives, retailers like them because they get an item that makes people come into their store which will hopefully get them coming back or at least get them to buy something else while they're there. As I noted above, exclusives tend to be items that really wouldn't sell if every retailer got them or if the item was offered in a second run to everyone. The Cantina Showdown Cinema Scene is a good example of that. Wal-Mart got enough in their initial shipment to meet most of the demand, but the item then shipped to all retailers and everyone got stuck with them. Unfortunately, these exclusives attract scalpers and makes them a bit more difficult to find. I'm lucky to live in an area with +/- 30 Wal-Marts in 50 mile radius and 5 TRUs making the Target items the hardest to come by (well, after FAO...). I can feel for those outside of the US as I remember well how long it took me to even confirm the existance of the orginal Yak Face figure much less obtain one. Again, the decision to market those exclusives are the choice of the retailers as Hasbro offers everything to all of their non-US divisions. I'll end here by saying that I do understand your frustration, but other countries do get some cool items that never see the light of day here like the Eopie and bonus Pit Droids...

Again, I apologize for rambling and I welcome any and all questions either in this thread or in private e-mail. I can't answer every question with 100% certainty, but when I can't I'll offer my reasoning for my thoughts.

Todd4LOM
06-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Most people don't seem to realize that exclusives are sometimes the only way we are going to get some things.

I'm happy with the way the Saga 12" figures are being handled. We usually ony get 2-3 waves of basic 12" figures a year. Because of the exclusives that have been offered, we have 7 12" figures in a little more than a month.

Vehicles are not something that sell particulary
well, just look in any TRU or Walmart and tel me how many Slave 1's and Starfighters you see. If we didn't have store exclusives we wouldn't have a B-wing, Y-wing, Skiff, Tie Bomber or Interceptor... I'd much rather have these be released and hard to find, than never released at all.

As for the Rebo Band Pairs, I think they would have sold well any way they were offered, so the decision to make them exclusive was a poor one. But this is often NOT the case.

If Hasbro wants to offer figures that they don't think will sell well at retail, they should take advantage of the Jedi Master points. Fans are positively rabid for mail-away exclusives!

06-10-2002, 08:59 AM
Good morning all,
The input we have gotten over this has been great.So we've decided to revamp a bit.We are seeking user to start athread herer to gain even more insight and opinions.We are really trying to get as close to a general consensus of what we all want to say as we can.All's on hold for a bit while we do this.Is anyone here willing to do this?It would take a small army to read through all the threads here to get a consnsus.If we were to have a thread up until friday or Saturday then we all could have a say and evryone could have just a few pages to read through and incorporate.Any help?I am swamped and I can't handle it right now.Please email me with a link and I'll be back very soon.DABRYANT@aol.com.
Thanks to all

06-12-2002, 01:31 PM
hey dryanta,
any chance i could join the petition(s)? i would like to email hasbro a letter saying what I (we) feel about exclusives. images/icons/grin.gif tell me how! images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/wink.gif

images/icons/smile.gif

DarthMaulSithLord
06-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Todd4LOM:
I'm happy with the way the Saga 12" figures are being handled. We usually ony get 2-3 waves of basic 12" figures a year. Because of the exclusives that have been offered, we have 7 12" figures in a little more than a month.<font size="2" face="arial">To me that's a bad thing.

"You overdid it"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi, TPM.

images/icons/smile.gif