PDA

View Full Version : Fan’s Choice Vehicle

redalton
10-21-2001, 06:30 PM
I remember reading the Q&A from the conventions this past summer, and hearing about the possibility of a Fan Favorite Vehicle – similar to the one we currently have for voting for future figures (This is, by the way one of the best ideas Hasbro has had, I really enjoy being able to vote for a new figure.) I think this would be a great idea to expand to the vehicle line as well. There are so many cool vehicles in the Star Wars Universe – It would be great if the fans had a way of helping in the selection process. I just wanted to bring this up again in case it may have been forgotten.

P.S. If you need any new inspirations: I would love to see a Blockade Runner and Expanded Universe Tie Defender someday.

GNT
10-29-2001, 11:47 PM
Hopefully Hasbro would do one to see what the fans want images/icons/smile.gif

10-31-2001, 02:57 PM
Ug, dont waist time w/ EU ships yet when there are so many cool movie ships still left! I want my Shuttle and gungan sub!

JesseJames
10-31-2001, 08:22 PM
EU's where ships could have some life over the classic ships... I have no desires for E1 vehicles personally, and overall the Classic ships don't impress me when they're reissued, so yeah, I'd take a TIE Defender, it'd be an all new sculpt and man is it a sweet ship, best of the Imperial fleet!

I can picture some other well done EU ships too, like Kyle's Moldy Crow, or Mara Jade's Z-95...

I'd like RESCULPTED classic ships, but since that won't happen, I'd rather see EU lists, at least we'd get something new

LandotheScoundrel
11-01-2001, 02:44 PM
Very few things in EU are as stupid as the TIE Crawler. Its in the Guide to Vehicles And Vessels, though you may be able to find a pic over at theforce.net . Basically, the TIE Crawler is the pod section of a TIE fighter and giant treads where the wings would go. So freakin stupid. It looks like it would snap into pieces just moving around. And the TIE pod section doesn't exactly have "armored vehicle" written all over it. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Here's a pic of this atrocious piece of crap...
http://shadowolf.net/starwars/impcraft/tiecrawl.htm

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: LandotheScoundrel ]

JesseJames
11-01-2001, 03:01 PM
Well I'm not going to get into a technical debate, but the TIE Defender is an awesome ship... it's tri-wing design is there for a reason...

TIE doesn't mean bow tie, it means Twing Ion Engine, so while it does appear like a bowtie, it doesn't mean that... Otherwise the name Bi-Wing would be applicaple, or duel wing... I agree, a lot of the EU is crap, but the video games, for the most part, are so true to the movies in feel and heart that they deserve all the recognition they receive... They're what actually let you join in the galaxy for a short time.

I'd take EU scale ships over the rehashed horribly scaled toys Hasbro cranks out any day just to get something new.

If they went into ships for the games, we'd see awesome ships like the Moldy Crow, Assault Gunboat, Missle Boat, Otana, Space Tug, Stormtrooper transport, TIE "Avenger" Advanced, TIE Defender, R-41 Starchaser, Z-95 Headhunter... Hell, the Stormtrooper ferry shuttle seen in the Special Editions WAS AN EU SHIP! The EU Airspeeder we GOT was the concept sketch of the original Airspeeder, and is actually NEARER to scale what the Snowspeeder should be, than the Snowspeeder itself is!

Then you can go on into Force Commander for vehicles... Like Rebel Hovertanks, Swoops (Awesome vehicles), Heavy Tanks, Torpedoe Launchers, AT-AA's, AT-PT's (Awesome, and something rumored to maybe make an appearance in the movies), and many many other ships... Not to even go into the unbelieveable list of figures we could get

11-02-2001, 01:34 AM
If you ask me, most if not all EU ships are stupid looking and there not true Star Wars , only the movies are true Star Wars due to Lucas actually has atleast a voice in its creation! Lucas has nothing to do w/ EU except he says its okay to do! Look at the TIE defender, for god sakes it looks stupid...........3 wings, hell w/ 3 wings I dont even consider it a TIE! Though I like some EU alot I could care less and feel it is a discrace to Lucas (sometimes)

02-21-2002, 11:04 PM
If you ask me, most if not all EU ships are stupid looking and there not true Star Wars

Technically they're all SW... they're all 'official'. Also, Lucas DOES have a hand in the creation of the EU - he rejects or OK's the storylines of everything that's released. If it's coming out, it has to be run by Lucas first.

That said, some of the EU designs could be way better.

BUT - the AT-PT and other EU ships/vehicles could be cool.

I DO wanna see more Classic tril ships... and dagnabbit I wanna actually see them on storeshelves. I have not seen ONE new ship around here since the Power F/X X-Wing (which is awesome). Not the Y-Wing, and especially not the B-Wing or TIE Interceptor. :|

The LAMBDA SHUTTLE!!!!!!!

images/icons/grin.gif

Nicklab
02-22-2002, 03:20 PM
If they're going to propose a Fan Favorite vehicel, it should most likely be a vehicle in the films.

Candidates?
EPISODE I
Gungan Bongo
MTT
Sith Infiltrator
Coruscant Air Taxi

EPISODE IV
Escape Pod
Tantive IV
Imperial Landing Ship
Lars Family Speeder
TIE Fighter (new sculpt w/out bettery compartment)

EPISODE V
Rebel Transport
Echo base hangar transport
Twin Pod Cloud Car

EPISODE VI
Lambda Class Shuttle
Jabba's Sail Barge

What else is there from the prequels and trilogy? At least, that's practical.

JesseJames
02-23-2002, 02:36 AM
"Technically they're all SW... they're all 'official'. Also, Lucas DOES have a hand in the creation of the EU - he rejects or OK's the storylines of everything that's released. If it's coming out, it has to be run by Lucas first"

Now, as much as I like your nic Ketwol's Pants, I have to point out here that you're NOT correct.

Not that that's bad, but a LOT of EU fans seem to have this misconception that everything EU gets passed by Lucas...

Actually, MOST of it never is seen by his eyes. Nobody here can even say for sure if ANY of the EU has been passed by him.

Lucas has set "Standards" by which the EU must go by... They can't touch things in the Prequel era unless passed by LFL (Not Lucas himself, just LFL) and they must basically just not touch anything he hasn't touched already...

Really, ANY EU is up to debate right down to if Luke died of a heart attack immediately after the happenings of ROTJ.

it's ALL (every last detail) up to the fan his/herself as to the happenings before, during, or after the films that is NOT seen on film. Only George Lucas himself can dictate one way or another what is right or wrong.

The EU is a take it or leave it kind of mythical place. That's what makes the EU in SW so great. Nobody can tell you you're wrong. If you want the big "globes" on Star Destroyer's to be shield generators, so be it. And if you DO NOT want them to be shield generators, great... Makes for debating kind of hard, but it's the truth.

To me, I take the games more serious than most books/comics, because I find them to be more in tune with Lucas' feel of the films. To some, they're considered less "canon".

Gimme my static universe as opposed to the universe of endless doom's day devices, heroes saving the galaxy, endless clones, and "Super Villains", any day.

To each his own, should be the battlecry of the EU fan...

To me, The sarlac never coughed up Boba, and IG-88 never infiltrated the DSII. The Emperor never "lived again" as a clone, the Yuzahn Vong don't exist, and the Rebellion raged on for many years longer than writers would have it thought (Also the Rebellion wouldn't have gained the upper hand by simply killing a couple figure heads off. The Empire just would've taken another direction).

The EU's up to you... Take it for what you will.

EDIT: Jesus, what's up with my spelling. Fixed some, sorry! images/icons/smile.gif

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: JesseJames ]

02-23-2002, 03:14 AM
True enough, Lucas DOES NOT read every single piece of SW lit.

But I couldv'e sworn that he said somewhere that the authors have to pass a short basic plot summary by him, so as to not conflict with stuff in the movies...

JesseJames
02-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Everything I've heard is he has nothing to do with it, and in interview's he has actually laughed at some of the plot lines... The one I recall was Boba being coughed up by the Sarlac. He said "If that's what the fans want, whatever" or something to that effect with a big bellie laugh following it. It was in a discussion about Boba's character, and how to GL Boba's dead after ROTJ.

I think he's too busy to bother with the post movie merchandising and developemnt. I'm sure he has a hoard of cronies to do his work. images/icons/smile.gif

02-24-2002, 10:09 AM
I need an Imperial Shuttle.Hell just re-release the old one!Still looks damn cool to me!

wampa_ems
02-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Id like to see the Imperial Landing craft seen in the Sandtrooper patrol scene in the SE as well as an AT-PT made.

03-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Everything I've heard is he has nothing to do with it, and in interview's he has actually laughed at some of the plot lines... The one I recall was Boba being coughed up by the Sarlac. He said "If that's what the fans want, whatever" or something to that effect with a big bellie laugh following it. It was in a discussion about Boba's character, and how to GL Boba's dead after ROTJ.

I'm not sure about the belly laugh part. He said, "I meant for Boba to be dead after RotJ, but the fans brought him back in the comics, and if it makes them happy, I'm fine with it. But I meant for him to die."

He also said,

"…it became apparent that my story […] was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. […] it is an amazing […] legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."

(I edited it for length, as I had to try to fit it into a signature, but I didn't change his meaning.)

Hmm...

I still want a Lambda Shuttle.

JesseJames
03-03-2002, 01:15 AM
He's made a few comments over time about his lack of interest in EU though... He's readily given up on keeping a continuity beyond the films, which is fine, as long as it's known that EU really isn't a debateable topic in "Canon" terms, which was covered in an explanation from LFL...

He did laugh about the Boba Fett thing as well. To him, he's dead...

I'm sure he's not going to say "A bunch of crappy writers" in his quote, when it's his money making juggernaut he's advertising in the interview... The meaning I walked away with from it was "EU's EU. If you want Fett alive, go for it, but to me he's dead...", which suits me fine... I know lotsa folks like Fett, to me he's a bit character in a larger play that's as good as dead as of ROTJ.

That's just me though. I know folks who ONLY collect Boba Fett items, out of simple fanaticism. Good for them I guess. I like Rebel Pilots myself. images/icons/smile.gif

I will say, I think he's exagerating the "Talented writers" thing... There's some REAL crud in the EU. I think there's more bad than good, personally.

03-06-2002, 11:51 PM
You're right JEsse, there is some real crud in there.

But there's also some pretty good stuff.

BTW, Boba Fett, a bit player?

Just wait for Attack of the Clones.