PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones toy line

09-13-2001, 06:17 PM
Ok, since Hasbro seems to have a the Lucasfilm toy license, I really think there should be a Star Wars scale line of figures from the Indiana Jones trilogy. Here would be my picks for an entire line. The old "too may mauls/obi-wans/qui-gons/jar jars" trick could be used for different costume changes to make sure everyone gets a version of the main character.

Indy (Raiders) w/ whip, sandbag & golden idol
Indy (Arab disguise) w/ staff or Ra & notebook
Indy (Temple) w/ whip, gun & machete
Indy (Crusade) w/ tie
Marion Ravenwood w/ medallion & vodka bottle
Belloq w/ golden idol
Bill Gates esque guy w/ interchangable heads (one normal and one melting)
German Officer w/ interchangable heads (one normal and one melting)
Bald German Mechanic w/ wrench
Ceremonial Belloq w/ inter...you get the idea.
Short Round w/ remoavble hat & gross food
Willie w/ antidote, ash case & more gross food
Mola Ram w/ removable headgear
Kid Maha Raja w/ Indy's voodoo doll
Henry Jones Sr. w/ diary, umbrella & briefcase
Dr. Elsa Shnieder w/ record player
German General w/ removable hat, gun & shovel
Walter Donovan w/ false Grail and interchangable heads
Grail Knight w/ sword, Bible & real Grail
Casib w/ machine gun

VEHICLE ASSORTMENT

Desert Convoy Truck w/ Driver & Lost Ark
Horse w/ Indy
Camel w/ Sallah
Horse w/ Bandanna wearing Henry
Lao Che's plane w/ inflatable raft
Breaking apart boat
Motorcycle w/ Indy & Henry

Ok, thats about it! Come on Hasbro- give us some Indys!!!

10-01-2001, 08:38 AM
You see those Disneyworld exclusive Indys?

Theres not enough of a demand for these for mainstream/retail sale. It would kinda be like those lame Road Warrior figures. Mel Gibson's Mad Max may sell, but all the others would fail in comparison. Or even the Tomb Raider figures. May spark some interest but it would be a loss in the long run. However, i do have all the Tomb Raider movie figs..heh heh..for reasons that..well..it's Angelina..

10-02-2001, 07:58 AM
I actually disagree- i think that the Indiana Jones trilogy has a great cult following and loads of people would buy the figures. Even if they only produced Indy, Short Round, Henry, Marion and a few baddies etc, i'd still get 'em.

SpaceGhost2K
10-02-2001, 08:33 AM
As much as it would rock to have toys like the Indiana Jones line and BTTF and a few others, I just don't believe that there's enough of a demand (outside of our little action figure subculture thingy we've got going on in here.) It's toy companies jobs to research what toys the market will support, and these two lines are obvious (major stars, multiple movies, blockbuster theatrical and rental successes). I'm sure they've been investigated, and the numbers just weren't there. You'd have to be able to sell 250,000 of every figure, and I don't think it could be done.

JesseJames
10-02-2001, 11:30 AM
I personally feel there's a demand... Enough to warrant something being produced (I'm speaking strictly Indy here) but I also think waiting for the other possible movie being made would be the better idea... Why let an idea sink without giving it its best backup

10-02-2001, 01:50 PM
It all depends on who would actually want to take the risk to make an Indy line...who would want to buy the rights..and would the rights even be sold?
If they did make them, it would have to be bought by a company who is going to do the figures justice. N2 Toys did a decent job on
The Matrix lines..and Toy Biz did a decent job on the Blade figures and those figures are pretty rare.
I just don't think that Indy figures would have a fair market in retail. They would be exclusive to hobby shops I'm afraid. I think they made Young Indy Chronicle figures and they flopped, kinda like those Final Fantasy movie figures.
If they reissued Raiders and Temple, I am all for a Indy toy line..just for the re-release, but for now I'll stick to those Disney Exclusives. Thats my two cents..

PodRacer_X
10-03-2001, 12:06 AM
I think a well-made line would sell quite well. I avoided the Mad Max line even though I love "The Road Warrior" because the figures were awful and didn't even look like the characters they were supposed to represent.

I don't think Hasbro owns the rights to Indiana Jones, though, just because they have Star Wars. They're not holding out on us.

Biggs_R3
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
With the announcement of the new movie, Indiana Jones and the Ravages of Time, hopefully we'll see some more Indy toys released in 2008. How about a VOTC line of Indy toys?
I love the Vintage Kenner Indiana Jones line and have been collecting for years. Its a very expensive habit and would welcome a new line of figures with reasonable prices. Does Hasbro have the License?

Inigo_Montoya
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Biggs, IJaTROT is not an actual working title, just a joke.

I think a company will get rights for INDY4, just not likely Hasbro.

Though they'd suck, I imagine something like the POTC toys.

They could have retro waves, if not another assortment, to cover the trilogy.

Some vintage ROTLA packaging. That stuff was pretty cool, especially the "Map Room" playset and mail-away Ceremonial Belloq. (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/indiana/indy/indysmall.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/indiana/&h=304&w=200&sz=17&hl=en&start=11&tbnid=c0fU3RMrou8VXM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=76&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dindiana%2Bjones%2Btoys%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

Toonimator
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't terribly mind if Zizzle got the rights to do 3-3/4" figures for the Indy films. Great detailing (if not necessarily accuracy), neat accessories... at worst, it'd make a lot of good custom fodder for both SW figures, military figures (gotta have some Nazis in the line, of course!), and fodder for better Indy figures themselves!

The articulation & some proportions wouldn't be up to Hasbro's best, but it'd still be better than if, say, Mattel got ahold of the line. Superman Returns all over again. (Whip-action Indy! Quick-draw Indy! Idol-stealing Indy! Every figure with 10 points of worthless articulation!)

The list at the beginning of this oooold thread is still pretty good. And now that removable headgear's more common for most action figures, the list is a lot more do-able! Lots of Indy variety (including the flashback, of course), Marion, Willie, Elsa, Belloq, Toht, the bald mechanic, the main Nazi officers of the 1st & 3rd films, the Grail Knight, Donovan, Henry Sr, Sallah, Mola Ram... plenty of possibilities that'd work out nicely in a POTC-style line. I think fans would enjoy it, and the Zizzle design team would probably have a blast trying another period-piece type of property (with the added bonus of some multicultural Temple of Doom characters and a break from the 20th century with the Grail Knight)

Darth_Enigma
01-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Good luck, I don't think its going to happen, the Raiders of the lost ark series barely sold in the 80's and Temple of doom never made it in to production except a cheap chinease knock off which sucked. so for the exception of collectors there is not a big enough demand for producing that line of figures,on a last not don't feel bad I sold my Raiders of the lost ark toys when I was fourteen.....what an Idiot! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/thumbs/carrie_pics_152.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/imagepopup.php?imagename=http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/carrie_pics_152.jpg)

TheMadBubbler
01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Actually, the Temple of Doom figures were made by LJN, the Ssame company that made Thundercats and Dungeons and Dragons figures, among others. The figures were more of a 5 or 6 inch scale, and only 3 were made (Indy, Mola Rom, and a Giant Thugee). Short Round and Willie Scott were also planned, but never released. I think you are thinking of the figures that were made around the time The Last Crusade came out, in Spain, I believe by Star Toys. I actually think there'd be a decent demand for a new Indy line, particularly i they were well-done, and in a 3 3/4 inch scale. I don't know that the demand would be enough for a full mass-market line, though, until the fourth movie comes out. I'm hoping that when that happens, there is a toy line, and that they release some figures from the other movies as well. Before the fourth movie, I would think demand for a new line would be mainly among collectors, and mass-market retailers wouldn't be as likely to pick up a new line, but direct market specialty shops might.

Darth_Enigma
01-08-2007, 12:37 AM
correct you are about the LJN line I just discovered that two days ago,but china had also done a knock off as well, on Temple of doom.

efranks
01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I think a company will get rights for INDY4, just not likely Hasbro.

Hasbro has first right of refusal on most Lucasfilm licenses including Indiana Jones. So, if a line of toys is done it may very well be Hasbro that does it.

E...

Kooshmeister
01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Bill Gates esque guy w/ interchangable heads (one normal and one melting)<BR>German Officer w/ interchangable heads (one normal and one melting)German General w/ removable hat, gun & shovel<BR>

Those characters are officially known as:

Toht (the "Bill Gates" guy)
Colonel Dietrich (the "German Officer")
and
Colonel Vogel (the "German General")

Also, "Casib" is actually named Kassim. At least, I'm assuming you're referring to the guy from The Last Crusade.

MontanaJones
03-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Don't forget Indiana Jones in his Nazi Uniform disguise from both RotLA and LC.
They already have a great template to work with based on the SA Han Solo figures. I'll make a more extensive list later.

1935 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones - Club Obi Wan Encounter

1936 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones -
Indiana Jones - Nepal Bar Fight
Indiana Jones - Nazi Disguise (removable hat, RPG)

1938 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade