PDA

View Full Version : B-wing

BIGBRET
07-21-2001, 10:41 AM
Although there is still no evidence that Andy even exist. I am going to start this thread anyway.

Andy/ Hasbro,

Even though this exclusive is just now making its way to the shelves. It is already causing problems for collectors. Shortages do to scalping and lack of per store quantities are the issue. It has been my experience that "Target" store exclusives are particularly hard to get. Part of this is because of the lack of information that these retailers seem to have. I have asked on many occasions "when will you be putting them out on the floor?". If I am lucky enough to get an answer, "which is not very often", I come back on that day only to find out that they are already gone. Is there some way to use Hasbros influence to make sure that the store and its employees are informed and able to answer the simplest of questions with regards to these exclusives. My sources tell me that Target launched a store wide investigation after the magical disappearance of the 12" speederbike W/ bikerscout. Obviously they did not learn anything from that, because this problem persist. I think you can see what I am getting at here. I for one would support Hasbro if they decided not to grant exclusives to Target in the future. They are simply not able to prevent scalping, or for that matter even able to give regular collectors a definitive date that these items will be stocked on. So basically we have to put our lives on hold and be at the store every morning (like the scalpers) so that we stand a chance of getting one at the retail price. One last thing.

There are E-stores that are selling these. They claim to have gotten them from overseas suppliers. Is there some way that you can keep this from happening? If these e-stores have Hasbro accounts, than they should not be selling a product that is suppose to be another stores exclusive right? Perhaps some disciplinary measures on your part could prevent this sort of thing in the future.

This is an ongoing problem. That continues to go unchecked by you. If that is because you simply do not care, then please say so. That way I can stop buying any and all products made by Hasbro. If it a case of not knowing how to handle the problem. Then ask for some help. I know that there are plenty of collectors that can come up with some reasonable solutions. Thanks,

------------------
Cha porko ootman geesa.
UNT-BIG BRET
www.dswc.net (http://www.dswc.net)
planetdoomportal.searchking.com/UB/UltraBoard.cgi (http://planetdoomportal.searchking.com/UB/UltraBoard.cgi)

07-22-2001, 07:30 PM
Can I respond first?

First, Andy does exist. His picture was recently on the front page of CSW. Currently, Paul is the "go-to" guy, but the name of the forum remains. AND, we have been assured by bananapunk that Andy/Paul DOES read these forums, including this thread. They just are not at liberty to respond to every fan site in existence. "Leaking" information out by responding directly to websites would make other websites demand similar treatment, and end up with the whole collecting community getting pissed-off.

Second, I agree that scalping is a problem. I don't agree that Target is worse than any other exclusive retailer. There's a hundred people who work in the store, less than 5 in "toys", and none of those save the occassional fan give a rat's *** about one minor item in their toy department. There aren't enough mom-and-pop toy stores remaining to support a venture like the B-Wing, Y-Wing, etc, so the corporations get them as exclusives. That's the facts of life. The only other option would be not having them at all. If they decided not to grant Target the licence for exclusives like the Skiff, Y-Wing and B-Wing, then guess what... you wouldn't HAVE a Skiff, Y-Wing or B-Wing AT ALL. So you decide what's better and what's worse.

Third, you don't think that Hasbro is rolling on the floor laughing when you threaten to quit buying their product? You're either a Star Wars collector or you're not. You're gonna stop buying any and all products made by Hasbro? What Star Wars stuff ARE you going to buy if you stop buying Hasbro? Applause statues? Vinyl Amidala inflatible chairs? Stickers? Placemats? Right.
Not to mention that you'd never be able to play Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Othello, Scattergories, Stratego or Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders with your kids.

Dude, if you're gonna tell them to get their act together, please offer them some constructive criticism on how to DO THAT, and hold off on the threats unless a) you can actually do it and b) it would really affect them.

BIGBRET
07-23-2001, 07:20 AM
Darth Sebulba, Your comments are appreciated. However this was a thread for collectors to respond to the B-wing problem, not to analyze each others opinions. Therefore I am not going to respond to your comments. I have found out the hard way, that only steers us of course even more. Please feel free to post here again, if you have something to say on topic.

------------------
Cha porko ootman geesa.
UNT-BIG BRET
planetdoomportal.searchking.com/UB/UltraBoard.cgi (http://planetdoomportal.searchking.com/UB/UltraBoard.cgi)

PodRacer_X
07-23-2001, 08:04 AM
Is anyone really surprised that there are no B-Wings to be found at Target? It was exactly the same story with the Skiff, and it was exactly the same story with the Y-Wing. It will be the same with any other OT 3-3/4" exclusive Target gets. The point of the exclusive is not to sell you a B-Wing, but to get you to go into the store every day for a few months hoping you'll buy other things. That's why every store only gets one case which may or may not make it to the sales floor. That's why most of us never saw their past exclusives ever. Mission accomplished, Target.

But some of us are resigning ourselves to the fact that we won't ever see these at Target and going ahead and getting them from scalpers.
http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/001960.html

More power to them. I'm planning on just going without.

07-23-2001, 09:59 AM
OK, Mr. "Too Big for his Britches Bret." I addressed the same items in my post that you did, and only fell short in that I didn't quote your points verbatim.

You were the one who mentioned that it was an ongoing problem, which means that this is more than a post about the B-Wing, it's a post about exclusives in general. You mentioned Target's inability to prevent scalping, and I addressed that. You threatened to stop buying Hasbro product, and I addressed that. You questioned the existance of Andy, and I addressed that.

Either be more specific in your post if you don't want feedback, or just talk to youself and don't make us watch. Maybe I didn't stay on the topic you intended, but I certainly stayed on the topic you created, so don't talk down to me.

BIGBRET
07-23-2001, 11:01 AM
Darth I think you are still missing the point. It is not what you felt about my comments on the B-wing. It is suppose to be your thoughts on the B-wing. For instance: Do you have one? Where did you get yours? How do you think we could help to prevent scalping of these items in the future? Do not address your comments or suggestions to me, but rather to Hasbro. After all they are the ones that I am trying to reach with this post.

------------------
Cha porko ootman geesa.
UNT-BIG BRET

BIGBRET
07-23-2001, 04:55 PM
That is one of the greatest ideas yet. I would love to see a Hasbro direct Estore. I mean a real one, not Wizards of the Coast. A real store would be great. They could release exclusives through the store, also they could take preorders. This would let them know what kind of fan interest the exclusive was going to bring. Then they could adjust the production numbers accordingly. By putting a limit on each registered member they could eliminate scalping. Say two per member, with the option to buy more after a period of two months. This would allow those who need more than two to buy them after everyone got a chance to get their two. Good Idea Darth!

By the way. What is the B-wing DPC#. I want to pass it along to a friend. Who is looking to check the stores in his neck of the woods.
------------------
Cha porko ootman geesa.
UNT-BIG BRET

[This message has been edited by BIGBRET (edited 07-23-2001).]

jedi_shadow
07-23-2001, 07:56 PM
dpci# 087-06-1954

RediNight
07-23-2001, 08:21 PM
yeah i think from the pictures the bwing is sweet. but i didnt get one they are all gone here and there are only 2 targets in a radius of 250 miles im sixteen and my parents hate sw so i cant afford a car, cant find it in my two stores cause i cant go there daily so i dont get the bwing. (i did see the spot towhere it was but i was a morning to late pretty damn gay huh?) but i the skiff. no y-wing. anyway i hate exclusives and have a better chance at vintage although not as nice. i know i can get it from egay for twice the price so when i save i can get. thanks for reading (a hurtin collector.

07-24-2001, 12:57 AM
OK, this is me, cooling off.

It's not the exclusivity that it causing the scalping. It's the fact that it's a beautiful ship that people want that's causing the scalping. People also scalped the hell out of 300th Boba Fett because it was cool and they knew people would pay for it. They didn't scalp it because it was an exclusive.
And concerning the B-Wing... I have one. I paid retail for it plus CA tax. I got it from Target, not from a scalper. I asked politely if I could see if an item was in stock, and they said yes. They looked it up and said yes again. Then they brought one out of the back.
Why weren't they on the floor? No idea. First rule of retailing is, you can't sell it if the customer can't find it. So if its in the back and not on the floor, get it on the floor. They had no problem selling me one, so it's not like they're hiding them back there for themselves.
I know also that even being polite and patient won't always get you one. If the store's out, they're out. If the employee's a jerk, he's a jerk. But you're certainly more likely to get one by being polite than rude.
I also make it a point of trying to ask someone who isn't in toys, because the toy dept. people ARE sick of toy freaks.

Hasbro is in the business of selling toys. They know there's fans who want these SW things. They shop them around and feel them out. If it's something more than one retailer wants (100th luke, 300th Boba, 12" DV/DM Sith Lords) then it's available to all retailers. If it's something only one retailer wants, then it's an exclusive.
I think some people, not necessarily you BB, think Hasbro sits in a smoke-filled conference room thinking of ways to make it hard for SW fans to buy their stuff. I just don't believe that to be true. They have a hugely expensive licencing agreement they have to pay for, and the only way to do that is to make stuff the fans want and find a way to sell it to them.
My personal opinion is that, if they are seriously having such a hard time finding retailers to sell this cool stuff they make, they should open an online retail outlet for Hasbro stuff. The retailers would have an absolute cow, but it's their own fault. If they supported the line with more shelf space and bought some of the marginal items instead of the "no-brainer" figure assortments with Luke and Darth Maul in them, a "Hasbro Direct" e-tailer wouldn't be necessary. But they don't, and it is.

BIGBRET
07-24-2001, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the number. I am still hopeful that I will land one around here. I will let you all know if I get any extras.

------------------
Cha porko ootman geesa.
UNT-BIG BRET

07-27-2001, 01:16 AM
Extras?