PDA

View Full Version : Shortpacking

07-17-2001, 03:33 PM
How does shortpacking happen? As far as I see, if there is a shortage, make and ship more. But, I bet it's not that simple as that. Lemme know.

07-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Shrotpacking happens because Hasbro thinks certain figures have more appeal than others. They figure that for every R2-D2 w/ Holo Leia they sell, they'll probably sell 4 Darth Maul Sith Lord figures. SO they pack them in that ratio, hoping that it will result in even sales and no pegwarmers.
The reality is that, collectors/speculators/hoarders always buy MORE of the shortpacked figure because it IS shortpacked. Hasbro has designated a figure as "rare" by shortpacking it, and that's the sole reason a lot of those people buy that figure. Swimming Jar-Jar is a good example of that. Stores had JJ figures up the ying yang, so they only shipped this new JJ at one per case. Of course, that makes it "rare", and the figure became hot immediately.
It wasn't that there weren't enough to go around. It was that, because it was "rare", even people who would have passed on the figure otherwise HAD to have it.

Amanaman
07-18-2001, 07:41 PM
It's things like these that discourage me from collecting.

Grievous
07-19-2001, 06:39 PM
Figures with heaps of joints normally are shortpacked figures (Ie R2 W/Leia) since every part has to be moulded and made which costs a lot of money to make, Thats one reason. Plus the factor that Hasbro thinks the fiugres won't sell