PDA

View Full Version : non-SW message to da boys at Hasbro...

apokolips
07-15-2001, 11:54 AM
This is concerning the upcoming line of "Justice League of America" toys you'll be producing when the new JLA cartoon premieres on Cartoon Network this November. All I can say is GET IT RIGHT. I mean it. I will not tolerate an embarassment in this area. No neon fruitilicious Martian Manhunters allowed. No Ninja Stealth Green Lanterns allowed. No Hawkgirl wings that can be removed and transformed into a jetski. And most importantly, NO VARIATIONS OF ANY KIND ON THEIR COSTUMES. No more tropical flavored abominations like that sick excuse of a Batman line.

You may say, "What can you do to us?" Well, I can do one thing in particular. I can either buy one or more of everything you produce... or I can buy absolutely nothing. That's all. Either I can turn over a percentage of my hard earned money to you, or I can... not. If you want my money, GET IT RIGHT. Simple as that.

I also assure you, I'm not alone in this. Many fans/potential customers feel exactly as I do. You could make a lot of money if you GET IT RIGHT. Or you could lose a lot of money if you GET IT WRONG. You will have no one to blame but yourself. The fans want it bad, and the cartoon will be flawless. You and your track record of gimmicking up a perfectly sucessful line in the name of "kids" is the only potential weak link here. If you fail, the blame will fall squarely on you. And we, the fans, will never forgive or forget.

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force! (http://www.wickedforce.com)

07-15-2001, 05:22 PM
JLA needs to be your mantra, and it needs to stand for "Just Like Animated", because your figures need to look just like they're animated: nothing more and nothing less.

07-15-2001, 06:44 PM
I never thought IŽd say this, but:

Kids dig those "Super Ultra Sonic Ninja Attack Batman" figures.

I think what can be done here is:
Release Two versions of each character like:

*Green Lantern (Cartoon Version)
*Sonic Defense Action Green Lantern

or

*Superman (Cartoon Version)
*Mega Torpedo Launching Superman

That way both Collectors AND Kids can be happy with the line.
Personally, I hate those "Ultra Flipping Gamma Defense" figures, but dont forget these are Toys, and a lot of Kids STILL buy them. So I think releasing two versions (Collector Version and Kid Friendly Version) is the best thing for this line.

Just my Opinion. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
"Hi Lisa! Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers!
Im learnding!"

07-16-2001, 12:01 AM
apok, I counld't have said said it better myself!!

Log
07-16-2001, 02:07 AM
Apok said it best.

On the Batman line(s), Hasbro, do you think anyone likes buying Batman variant after Batman variant after Batman variant and so on? Some of the variants are alright as long as they're from the show or look like they could be in the show but this Street Racer Batman, Arctic Blast Robin, and Jungle Tracker Batman stuff is garbage, plain and simple.

I feel you guys perfectly blew a good opportunity with the Batman lines. Yes LINES, not just one of the lines but ALL of them. While there are alot of great figures from the last 11 years, there are also ALOT of bad ones too. Who thought a Pogo Stick Joker was more important than Alfred? Or Talia? Or Gordon? Or Harvey Dent? Or Carl Grissom? Or Rupert Thorne? See the point I'm making? We want figures that are true to their respective source, NOT crap that you think a kid would buy. Kids hate the variants believe me, they do. I was still a kid when The Dark Knight Collection came out and while I loved the true to the movie figures and Wall Scaler Batman(he looked like he could have been in the movie), I HATED those stupid Crime Master deluxe figures and I HATED the Batcopter, Batjet, and all the other crap that was NOT in the movie. I speak from experience of my youth that kids do NOT want variant after variant after variant. They want something NEW. Yeah they might like some variants but only if they're spaced out from each other and only if they look as if they could have been on the show or if they in fact, were on the show. They won't like them when EVERY single wave has multiple variants in it like they have had for the past 11 years.

I know Andy and Paul aren't in charge of the Batman line but maybe you two(or whichever one of you guys reads this forum) can pass these ideas on to the department that does Batman and other DC merchandise so that they can get to making some great figures for the greatest hero of all time(IMO).

The variety, playability, and quality of the Star Wars line are what make it a GREAT line. LOTS of variety, a ton of playability, and just plain excellent quality make the SW line one of the best lines on the market but if Hasbro would take the time and invest quality, playability( by this I mean articulation and good accessories, not Spring Action Jungle Traps and Laser Sighted Missle Launchers but Batarangs, grapple hooks, and so forth) and variety in the Batman line, I'd probably collect it more than I do Star Wars as I'm also a HUGE Batman fan.

Anyway, the JLA line should be true to the cartoon and if you MUST do loony variants, well...don't do them. Simple as that. If you're concerned about kids not getting heroes when they want them, do what you do in the Star Wars line: Resculpt the heroes every so often so that people new to the line and people that missed out on a certain hero in the past can get what they want at retail. I'd also suggest repacking main heroes into new case assortments. Either do resculpts or the repacking of older figures but do NOT make a million and one silly variants.

I've got high hopes for this line as it just screams variety but, well, we thought that with the Batman line and look what we got http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

------------------
"The doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughin' at me!"- Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 07-16-2001).]

apokolips
07-16-2001, 07:16 AM
It would be nice if at least the first waves were faithful to the cartoon design. Just one of each Leaguer, and one of each villain. They could have so many potential figures here that they should never have to do a silly repaint. You know the JLA will have seven permenant members, plus guest stars like Aquaman, a few members of the Green Lantern Corps, The Guardians of the Universe, most likely the New Gods since their appearances in the Superman cartoon were so well recieved. The villains will hopefully include Lex, the Joker, Circe, Cheetah, Sinestro, Black Manta and much, much more. This line could go on for yeeeears without a stupid repaint. If they GET IT RIGHT.

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force! (http://www.wickedforce.com)

New_world_Hoarder
07-19-2001, 08:11 PM
....And then theres the issue of scale (Imm gonna rant this else where as well) Action figures should come in two scales.

1. 12 inch barbie/GIjoe sized. Dolls that can change clothes, wear socks, have neat lil accessories ect.(1/6th scale)

2. 3-3/4 Star wars/ real american heroes. Figures that get in vehicles, populate playsets, hold a weopon, hang out in groups.
(1/18th scale)

Period no negotiation here. STandardization prevents *******ization. In other words if i still had my 3-3/4 A team, dukes of hazzard, battlestar galactica ect they could hop in an X wing fighter or a H.I.S.S. tank and get it on.

By making a toy in a different scale than these it makes it incompatable with all of the classics and the line might do OK while the movie/cartoon is hot but shortly there after it WILL fall off of the map. Hasbro especially is guilty of this crime. There is no excuse why fans of star wars and planet of the apes shouldnt be able to mix the figs up. Also most generic cars truck motercycles boats ecet are made in one of the two classic scales.
At leats the jurrassic parkIII stuff is in an acceptable scale. But the real shame here is that the merchandise from the earlier movies is not!!! so now you cant use you other J.P. stuff with the new...UUUGH! I cannot begin to describe how many lines of toys I have passed on playing with because the scale made them useless. Trek..useless toys, X men...same, resident evil, most all super heroes ect ect i could go on all night.

For the record I agree about the start of this thread. The batman stuff is one line i would even have picked up despite the horrible scale. BUT it seems every other figure is a batman or robin. You need one of each. After that you need riddlers and penguins and so on and so on.

What Hasbro needs to do is set down with all of the toys in a given line and "pretend" they are a child who was given all of the stuff before them as a gift. Then challenge themselve to use every single peice all at once. How you gonna play with 27 batmans 18 robins and 1 Joker? Sound alot like our Quigon & Mual armies situation doesnt it?

But i digress my pet p!ss off is scale all toys should be one of the accepted scales. Peroid

James_Bond
07-19-2001, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarthRayle:
What Hasbro needs to do is set down with all of the toys in a given line and "pretend" they are a child who was given all of the stuff before them as a gift. Then challenge themselve to use every single peice all at once. How you gonna play with 27 batmans 18 robins and 1 Joker? Sound alot like our Quigon & Mual armies situation doesnt it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet they could just to prove their point http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

08-15-2001, 07:57 PM
The fine folks at www.ironcowprod.com, (http://www.ironcowprod.com,) who have customized every character Hasbro ever ****ed up and most of the ones they didn't even get around to, insist that in conferring with parents they have discovered the common man's dissatisfaction with the Hasbro atrocities perpetrated in DUO Force, Crime Squad, STAS, Mission Masters, Mission Masters II, Mission Masters 3, and Batman Beyond. Kids want the characters they see on TV... The name Batman means nothing to them if the figure is dressed in white.

JLA is new and different... BTAS should not have been marketed towards children, it was too sophisticated. I loved it when I was seven or eight, but here I am at fifteen with six hundred eighty action figures, which lets you know that I'm not the average comsumer. The point I'm trying to make is that if they're aiming this line at lads and lasses, and even if they're swaying towards collectors as well, they absolutely must stay faithful to the animated series.

They absolutely must.

I mean, villains never warmed the pegs back in the day... The first wave of BTAS, comprising two Batmen and three villains, was a resounding success if memory serves. I suspect it's only we animated customizers who are buying the Mission Masters ****, to correct Hasbro's own mistakes.

No one wanted Slalom Racer Batman, damn it. Hasbro, take heed, and don't **** this up for us. Don't **** this up for us.

Thank you and good night.

09-09-2001, 08:51 AM
I'm confused. Hasbro says they make variations of the main characters for the kids; but, at the same time, I'm hearing in the media that kids dont want 'action figures' anymore, they want videogames and Pokemon(I think the pegs full of Batman,etc variations back that up) So, which is it?

09-13-2001, 06:42 PM
I must say, Pokemon annoys me. Is it still popular, or not???

09-13-2001, 06:56 PM
I seriously doubt that kids even buy old school heroes like Superman and Batman, ****** colors and firing projectiles or not. They are much to absorbed in Pokemon, Digimon and Dragonball Z to really give a crap, so with the new JLA line Hasbro should REALLY listen to the collectors and the comic fans.

Log
09-13-2001, 11:56 PM
Kids still buy Batman. Believe me, as a former Batman collector, not many of us were into the variants so there were plenty left for the kids and seeing as how they NEVER warm the pegs at stores I go to, kids do buy them. In all honesty, it's very rare when Batman figures do warm the pegs here. Most of the time, the pegs for them are cleaned out so if Batman is popular, JLA will be even more popular I bet.

Kids do still buy action figures. The action figure market, based on what I've read, is a multi billion dollar industry and in no way can collectors keep an entire industry on it's feet.

Action figures are popular among kids because they're generally affordable and it's something a few bucks of allowance money can be spent on. Very few parents will shell out lots of money for two of three expensive video games when they can shell out money for many affordable action figures. Kids are into one thing one day and out of it the next. They like a video game one day and lose interest in it the next. With action figures, kids always have something new to do with them.

On a sidenote, as an Anime fan, I don't see one thing wrong with kids likin' DBZ. Now liking Pokemon and Digimon, that's a problem images/icons/smile.gif

09-14-2001, 12:41 AM
Word!