PDA

View Full Version : The Final Blow

PodRacer_X
05-11-2001, 11:54 AM
I skipped lunch today like I do a couple of times a week to make my usual toy run. Even though I've come up empty-handed for 14 consecutive weeks, I always try to stay at least somewhat optimistic when entering the stores. Surely, I tell myself, it won't go on for 15 weeks. I walked into my local Toys R Us and was amazed by the sight I encounterted there. They finally shrank the Star Wars section down enough that everything in it (mainly about 100 Darth Mauls) can fit into 3 wire close-out baskets.

The Star Wars section is gone.

I looked all over the store to see if it had just moved. Nothing. I politely asked a clerk if SW was in the process of moving somewhere else in the store. He told me that TRU was dumping Star Wars, good riddance. He was tired of stocking them and answering questions about them, and in his own words, "...if I ever see another God damn Star Wars toy it'll be too soon." (This is the man selling toys to your children, folks)

So if the retailers are giving up, I've decided I am giving up, too. From now on, I'm not going on dedicated toy runs for SW toys which are not shipping and not being stocked. I'll buy what I can find, but this is too much effort for nothing. I'm missing four waves now, and the retailers are giving faithful collectors the bird. You can make a figure for everyone who wants one, but you obviously can't get them to the people who want them. I know this is a problem you can't do anything about, but your research folks may like to know one of the reasons why Star Wars seems to be failing.

PloKoon13
05-11-2001, 01:14 PM
I agree with PodRacerX. I collect SW for fun. I open everything that I get and do not care about how much that it deprciates the value of the figure by doing so. These are toys. They are meant to be fun. But having to go to stores everynight because all of the local retailers will only get one,(if I'm lucky), case of the newest wave sucks. It brings a great element of stress to the hobby. I remember when I could go to 10 stores and find nothing but not care because I knew that there would be more later. But now there is a sense of impending doom when I see that guy that got there 1 minute before me walk out of the store with the first, last, and only case that will come anywhere near me.
Hasbro has got to do better. Although remixing the cases is a good start, what good will it do if they aren't produced and made widely available? At this point it would be easier if every figure was a proof-of-purchase mail-in. At least I would get the enjoyment of buying the chips to get the pop's. And come to think of it, I bet all of you could find chips at your local retailers. How about it Hasbro? Let Frito-Lay be our toy savior.

05-11-2001, 01:24 PM
Podracer

I too noticed the same thing with Star Wars yesterday at my TRU....I thought it was just me, but in the last few days, they really condensed all the stuff to three columns....they have all the peg warmers and about 30 upstocked Dewback 12"....this is bad.

------------------
You weren't on any MERCY mission this time.

brew
05-11-2001, 01:38 PM
Three columns.. you guys are overloaded.. my local TRU has 3 PEGS, and one only has one figure on it.. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

05-11-2001, 02:02 PM
yeah, but the 3 columns, are one with Ewok Leia, Jedi Duel Maul, and Farmer Qui....interesting thing is 2 weeks ago, they brought out Wuher and Battle Damaged Droidekas....and they all went within 2 days....tell somebody something, get the mix right, and the figs will move big time....

------------------
You weren't on any MERCY mission this time.

PodRacer_X
05-11-2001, 07:26 PM
So this isn't just going on in my little corner of the world, huh? What kills me is that these people tell you the line is dead, won't sell, and nobody's interested in it. The same people are completely sick to death of answering questions and requests to look in the back room for figures.

How bright do you have to be to know that the line isn't dead if you have to constantly duck a barrage of endless requests to look in the back? I sincerely hope these stockers who are forcing the death knell of SW down our throats have nothing to do with ordering stock from Hasbro. If they have their way, the line WILL die, and they'll be the ones who'll kill it. I have lots of money I wish I could spend on Star Wars right now. Too bad the line is dead.

05-13-2001, 04:10 PM
Hey Everybody
I know I'm going a bit off topic here but first let me say that I apologize for dopey people that work at TRU, beleive it or not there are some of us that are on your side, I work at a TRU and am in charge of the action figure area and believe me that the star wars section in MY store is not going anywhere! I order what I can when I can to try to accomodate everybody but it just doesn't work out like that sometimes. Podracer X I feel for Ya' man, I too know what it's like not finding what you're looking for. Anyway I just wanted everybody out there that all TRU employees are not clueless and that we are not out to get you or keep you from your toys. Good luck on finding stuff everybody!

PodRacer_X
05-14-2001, 06:27 AM
Hey, Twilight! Where's your store? Is is anywhere close to N.C? I would resume my toy runs if I knew of a store with someone like you running things! As it is, I'm beginning to catch up on the waves from the last 3 months due to trades with the nice folks on this board, whom I greatly appreciate, because if it were up to my local Hasbro retailers, there would be no Star Wars line at all.

05-14-2001, 03:06 PM
Hey X,
sorry man I'm afraid that I'm on the west coast somewhere in Cali. On a side note are people over there really being that rude to you?

05-14-2001, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twilight:
Hey X,
sorry man I'm afraid that I'm on the west coast somewhere in Cali. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cali? Where? Is it anywhere in the San Diego area?

------------------
"Crazy. Toys in the atic, I am Crazy."

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Sithblade
05-14-2001, 05:23 PM
The SD posse has to meet up eventually. You guys game?

PodRacer_X
05-15-2001, 05:35 AM
People who work in the stores here really do hate adult collectors of toys. Granted, some collectors are rude and pushy. Hot Wheels collectors around here would trip their own mother to get to a new car, and I'm not going to pretend that clerks don't have to deal with the same kind of behavior from some Star Wars collectors as well.

What burns me up is that I am NEVER rude to strangers, especially ones I am asking for help, and I'd wager that most collectors aren't. Very often simply asking questions about the toy stocking procedures of a store sets the employees off and they really jump down your throat. I've worked in customer service, and I would never have lit into a customer politely asking a question, or making a request, just because I was tired of helping people with the same problem.

Maybe adults collecting and playing with toys is more accepted on the West Coast. I have a friend here who is a very well-respected lawyer, and he gets the same treatment when he buys Superhero toys. His collection is awesome, though.