PDA

View Full Version : Bespin Luke: A Tale of Torn Opinion

JesseJames
05-24-2002, 03:01 AM
Well, I got my bespin luke tonight, finally... Got two actually.

I got the non-bloody stump one I keep hearing people mention as more common...

My review is gonna be part happy, part sad... It's the most uplifting, and yet depressing, figure I've ever had I think... Well, since another one that I had uplifted hopes for that got smashed.

OK, the good (Since it'll take the most time):

1) Nice articulation... Not just nice, but downright great. Not as good as some (Because of the way some of it functions) but good no doubt.

2) The sculpt... Best likeness of Mark Hammil EVER, and even with an open mouth, it's not too "specific" looking (Mace Windu Genosian rescue anyone?), and not dumb looking ala Luke X-Wing (Remember, just cut his teeth out if it bugs you that bad, makes a world of difference).

3) the accessories... Sweet Jesus, if they can make this many accessories, pieces, and articulation points on ONE freaking figure, why can't ALL freaking figures have it? Needless to say, I liked everything he came with!

4) the playability of the accessories... The suction cup thing rules. Very neat idea. This is a kids figure all the way in that regard, but then they give all the extra's to appease us too.

5) the magnet rocks on him...

Now, the bad... This'll be short, but it's what makes this figure NOT in my top 10 all-time figures... The mess ups are too big to not notice.

1) The paintjob... Mine's got a big black mark on one area, very odd, and the "weathering" and "shadowing" of the uniform is atrocious... This is where the term "Less is more" applies, and Hasbro went slap happy with the brown highlighting paint... Looks like a child customized it. I'd rather it didn't have this at all. Can be fixed if you want to put in the time, but man that bites some.

2) And the main thing I hate... The FREAKING action feature. STOP already with push-buttons, and chopping/spinning torsos, ugh. This really is the killer on this guy. I like this figure, and want to like it more, but for the love of all that which you hold dear, STOP WITH THE ACTION FEATURES! It really put a damper on what could've been easily a top 3 figure for me...

Pure rubbish, as the brits would say. images/icons/smile.gif

That button is just big, ugly, and not even made to blend in... Completely unecessary. The action features don't even work well, if they work at all... So please stop them. Vader's "post" is even more obscenely atrocious! Blah.

Please, erase the hate here. knock off this action stuff... If you can make the magnets work good, fine, but dump this kicking/spinning/chopping/hopping/*******/dumping whatever action you put on these things... My neice sees the figure, messed with it, and said, "That's dumb", about the action feature... Please, help save the children here! And while you're at it, help me out too.

EDIT:

One minor gripe as well... The holster/blaster doesn't work WELL, but I see where Hasbro went with that. The lame action feature was to create a sort of quick-draw holster ala the old Jones line (Thus 99% of the holster front has disappeared!), and it failed miserably... The gun's moderately ok, and the holster WORKS, so it's a step in the right direction, just not a full step. The prototype's holster was much larger and better.

[ 05-24-2002, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: JesseJames ]

05-24-2002, 11:39 AM
I don't have a problem with the action feature on luke at all. I reckon it works quite well. I like him holding his blaster and then pressing the button to make it look like that he's shooting, while hidden behind a wall at cloud city or something!

Bespin vader is cool too. Who doesn't think taking a swing at lukes hand with his lightsaber ain't fun?

Each to their own though jesse! images/icons/smile.gif

I'd give both these figures 10/10. Perfect all round for me! images/icons/smile.gif

JesseJames
05-24-2002, 04:44 PM
I can take a swing at him just by moving him though, and don't have to look at the big clunky button's sticking out of their back. Blah

ezehogan
05-24-2002, 05:40 PM
I agree with jesse here. Action features are stupid. Even kids hate them! I remember as a kid, many of the Batman toys I played with had these stupid action features. My friends and I hated them. It obstructs movement in the part that is "action ready", and they have buttons!

tk421_1_2
05-25-2002, 03:14 PM
geez aren't we a lil critical...this is a fantastic figure. These are TOYS damnnit.

JesseJames
05-25-2002, 04:14 PM
And as toys they should spark imagination, not force certain play aspects (Such as preposes for fights only from the film, or buttons to create lame slashing).

When I was a kid, Indiana Jones' lame quick-draw fell prey to the super poses G.I.Joe could handle...

Star Wars figures were doomed to lose all their gear/coats so my favorite Joe had a neat little pistol and jacket. images/icons/smile.gif

What I pointed out isn't anything that's untrue. So how can it be "critical"? In my eyes, it's how I feel. Why'd you come to a review section if you wanted to just read how great something is? Buy it and enjoy yourself, and save the time reading the reviews forum.

05-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Got Bespin Luke today, very impressed.

Fett413
05-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Well Jesse James, I'm gonna have to agree with damn near all of your review here. I too love Bespin Luke for all the same reason you do. However, I have no qualms with the paint job. In fact, mine looks superb. My two gripes are with Hasbros new action crap and magnet junk. I agree with you 100% that this action stuff has got to go. In addition, this weak-***** magnet business is destroying perfectly good action figures (Anakin Duel, Jango Arena Battle, Zam Wessel). Go back to the pegs Hasbro!! Or for that matter, why do we need there body parts to come off at all? I never needed Luke to lose his hand when playing with the old vintage one as a kid. Again, I love this figure, I just wish he was standing alongside Bespin Han (re-scuplt) and 300th Fett as one of my faves.

Mandalorian_Madman
05-26-2002, 05:32 PM
I like the new Bespin Luke. I think of the action features and magnets, this one has the best of both. That being said, I wish Hasbro would ditch the bells and whistles and just make solid figures with good sculpts, paint jobs, and weapons.