PDA

View Full Version : Bacta Luke!!!!!!

jwickjedi
10-24-2001, 07:35 PM
Just got it, along with Maul.......and this is what I think.....I got Luke, out of his harness....and his sculpt is pretty good, not great....5 pts of articulation, his hair is sculpted as though it IS in a liquid, which is cool....so, does this thing light up??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The only thing you can do with this, is fill the tube up with water and blow in a little vinyl tube to simulate Luke's "breathing". That is it folks, although I still like it...it is a VERY scene specific fig and that is about it....and it has a place connected that will hold FX-7...when he comes out in a month or so....Also, the tube that holds Luke and the water is tinted to give an amber hue to the water......and the computer that comes with it is kinda generic, it is that rubbery plastic with gray/light gray panel....no red, white or blue colors for the knobs or anything...(hint patriotism) Overall I give this an 8 out of 10....would have been 10 out of 10 if it had lights I guess!!! But, still, a good job of Hasbro to get this to us....great toy to have!!!! Looks great, next to the carbonite chamber and Jabba w/ Glob on vintage throne....sitting on top of my computer desk!!! images/icons/smile.gif

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: jwickjedi ]

Darth_Meskin
10-24-2001, 11:05 PM
jwickjedi,

Well, I'll be getting my case of these next week, but here's what I've been wondering since I first saw photos of this thing: Does the water go in with the figure? I thought maybe they'd make the bacta chamber with an outer glass to hold the liquid surrounding a hollow inner tube where the (dry) figure goes. That way you don't have to submerge your figure in water to get the proper effect. Does that make sense? Basically I mean two plastic concentric circles forming the tank, the innermost one which holds the Luke figure. Because if you basically have to empty a pitcher into the chamber, that can't be good for the paint job on the figure, I would think. Although I've never tried it, maybe I'm wrong.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Darth Meskin ]

JesseJames
10-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Customizer's literally put figures in pots of boiling water to "pop" their limbs and heads off, so I'm gonna think putting him in water won't hurt him at all, as I've boil&popped hundreds of Star Wars figures, literally, and NEVER damaged any of their paint jobs in the process...

Just my idea, I know for a fact though that it's not 2 tubes for the water, as I've seen overhead pics of it images/icons/frown.gif Sorry

PodRacer_X
10-25-2001, 05:41 AM
Customizers will also almost certainly figure out a way to light this baby up. images/icons/smile.gif Anybody? Anybody? ACPin?

Old_Cocky
10-25-2001, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>it is a VERY scene specific fig and that is about it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there any scene where Luke is seen outside of the Bacta Tank in his underwear???

It is supposed to be a scene specific figure. Can't wait for my Newforce order to come in!!!

Darth_Meskin
10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Jessie James,

Yeah, I know about the old "hot water customizing trick". But I'm talking about the need, if someone deems it necessary, to display the figure permanently submerged in water. If someone really wants to make it look "actual and factual", that's what they have to do. You have to think long-term submersion has to have an effect. What it is, I have no idea, but someone who wants to display the figure like that shouldn't have to find out the hard way. Oh, well, I was only asking out of curiosity. It's not important to me at all that Luke be afloat, but I know it will be to the detail-oriented display sticklers (*also known as the D.O.D.S. images/icons/smile.gif

10-25-2001, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Meskin:
Jessie James,

Yeah, I know about the old "hot water customizing trick". But I'm talking about the need, if someone deems it necessary, to display the figure permanently submerged in water. If someone really wants to make it look "actual and factual", that's what they have to do. You have to think long-term submersion has to have an effect. What it is, I have no idea, but someone who wants to display the figure like that shouldn't have to find out the hard way. Oh, well, I was only asking out of curiosity. It's not important to me at all that Luke be afloat, but I know it will be to the detail-oriented display sticklers (*also known as the D.O.D.S. images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thatīs what I was thinking too, because when I get this figure, I want to display it in the water, but how will it affect my figure if I keep it like that for weeks or months?

P.S. Does the bong really work? images/icons/smile.gif

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Darth Sliver ]

JesseJames
10-25-2001, 03:22 PM
Well, I use a hotpot to boil my figurs, and often I will leave water in it, just out of convenience...

Water evaporates over time, so you'd have to add water regularly... Also, the water I leave in my hotpot gets a film over the top over time, so I'd imagine THAT would happen too, and I can't think that is good for your figure or the tank itself...

Yeah, I'd think it would have SOME form of effect on the plastic maybe, just my guess though, not sure... Something I've created was those "Wonderworld" sets where they have a gelatenous mix, and you put in things to look like suspended animation... Anyhoo, maybe THAT would work, since I've got micromachines in mine for over 2 years and they're fine... Just an idea, plus those are on clearance places

10-25-2001, 06:18 PM
What'll happen? The water will stagnate if left undisturbed. Not a problem, really, but you'll get some mould and mildew growth, and it'll start to smell. It'll evaporate and leave mineral deposits which may etch the plastic. Continuous re-filling will give you a supersaturated solution high in mineral and salt contents, which could deposit a crust on the figure. Remember those "make your own rock candy" experiments of your youth? Same basic principle.

In other words (apart from stagnation), the only "problem" with keeping the figure in water is evaporation. Plastic tends not to be water soluble, you know. images/icons/wink.gif Some manner of cap to the chamber would be useful (a fitted piece of cling film would do), and you'll probably want to change the water every few months, giving the figure and chamber a thorough rinsing out with fresh water (prevent mould growth and minerals from settling). You'll also probably want to use a "pure" water - something without aditives. There may be something from a bottled water company, though most of them are infused with assorted crud.

As for lighting it (though I've not even SEEN it...), I'm thinking you could drill out a small hole in the bottom of the chamber, "caulk" in an LED (with just the top sticking out, to keep any water away from the wires) wired to a battery. The tough part would be hiding the circuit - and not overheating things. If there's no cavities in the base, you'd have to either leave it showing, or make something yourself to hide it.

Darth_Meskin
10-25-2001, 07:53 PM
Iron Chef Mofo,

Really? You mean, plastic won't absorb water like a sponge?! images/icons/wink.gif

I don't think anyone's overly concerned about the plastic figure itself, it'll stay intact no matter what. It's more speculation about what the paint job will end up looking like over time, and whether you may end up with a flaked or faded appearance. As haphazard as some of the POTJ paint ops have been, I can't imagine they're too resistant to unusual elements. As you mentioned, the extent of the final effect will likely depend on the chemical content of the water you use.

Stay tuned, faithful readers! We'll know the answers to these and other earth-shattering questions in the next few months! images/icons/smile.gif

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Darth Meskin ]

10-26-2001, 12:13 AM
Surprisingly, no. Nor, indeed, will the paint, which is made of synthetics as well, so it won't decompose either. And there's nothing to "knock anything loose" if you fill it with water - no real currents or eddies (which is why stagnation will be a problem...), very little in the way of particulates bumping in to anything. Unless you pick it up and startshaking it about like a snow globe (which, incidentally, also have painted lumps of plastic in them, with no ill results), the biggest chance of "damage" will come from sunlight being warped/magnified/focued on the figure in the chamber.

JediTricks
10-26-2001, 08:08 AM
My grandma has one of those electric fishtanks with the plastic fish that move up and down from the bubbles flowing up and down, and in the instructions for it, it said to add Windex or ammonia to the water and it would stay fresh. Would this work for this toy?

LandotheScoundrel
10-27-2001, 12:04 AM
Hmmmm...Just take the damn thing outta the package, fill it with water, blow bubbles through the tube and gaze in wonder. Then empty the thing out and display accordingly. If there's no water, you don't need to worry about it. Or buy two, and do whatever you want. If one gets screwed up, you'll always have the other.

jwickjedi
10-27-2001, 12:16 AM
Luke is also "holier than thou"......there are two little holes in his back that enable him to NOT float to the top but rather hang down with his harness....and as for the tube you breath in to "simulate" him breathing...is it me or does this tube need to be longer, because I really can't see him "breathing" when I breath through the tube because it isn't long enough to hang down so I have a good look from the side.....anybody else have this problem? I will leave him in there.....forever, if anything happens, I will buy another!!!

11-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Go to a fish store and buy the smallest pump they have, and a tube to connect to the tube you blow into. that'll keep the water circulating, and you can look at the bubbles, too.

Another_Galaxy
11-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Scene Specific, Yes.
Do I care, No.
I love this figure, and I paid 5 bucks extra to have it NOW! (I have no patience, I'd make a lousy Jedi). Now I can't wait for FX-7. The tank looks better with 2-1B next to it, and he looks 100% better half obscured by the control panel.
My 6-year-old had fun with it too- 2-1B vs. the Bad Bad Bacta Tank. I had to put it up.

Darth_Ray
11-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Any thoughts on how to make the tank BLUE????

I was thinking of filling the tank with water and blue food coloring (without luke of course) and let it sit forhours/days/weeks to allow the yank to absorb the color. Then rinse, put plain water in to make sure that the color has been absorbed and wont drain back into the water. Then display.

Questions: will the plastic change color permanently?? Will the color seep back into the water to damage Luke???

BTW, good point about using DISTILLED WATER to avoid mineral deposits, but the top fits on quite snug so I'd be surprised if much evaporation occurs.

And I do have 2. One to fill with water, one in case the first gets wrecked.

Darth Ray

11-14-2001, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Ray:
Any thoughts on how to make the tank BLUE????

Darth Ray<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you like coolaid ?